Scrimmages

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEhockeyDAD

Scrimmages

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Who's scrimmaging who? When you've seen any, let us know what you thought.
GRhawky

GR scrimmages

Post by GRhawky »

Grand Rapids/Greenway have scrimmages this weekend at Grand Rapids. Some teams are Champlin Park, Spring Lake Park, Hbbing, and Silver bay
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

We scrimmaged CDH yesterday for try-outs. They're solid and have some real nice freshmen (11?). Also - the Welch girl from Woodbury is very strong player. Keys & Wild amazing as always. We lost by about a touchdown & a field goal but for more than half of our kids it was their first HS hockey competition experience above U12. CDH played all their kids trying-out. 13 of the 21 experienced players for us are in 7th/8th grade & played U12 last year. Probably the youngest HS program in the state, ever, or close to it at least. Great group of players though and we should develop a lot this year. This is important as next year we'll only have 2 Sophs & 3 Seniors with experience in 10th-12th. All other players will be in 8th & 9th grade (Almost identical to the Kennedy team in 03-04)... and there were some amazing young players on that team that have went on to have great HS careers...

I see the following scrimmage wise: (Keeping our systems simple this season to start and lots of scrimmages for my young team to acclimate.)

CDH yesterday @ Vets (tryout)

Lakeville S. today @ Vets 4-6P (tryout)

Edina (JV&V), EP (JV), Henry Sibley (V), New Prague (V) & Roseville (JV&V) Sat 11/4 @ Vets 8A-12P: http://www.bgoski.com/simley/girls/SimS ... 1-4-06.htm

Hastings (JV) Mon 11/6 4-5:30P @ Vets

Woodbury (JV&V) Tue 11/7 3-6P @ Beilenberg

North Metro Stars (JV&V) Wed 11/8 3:30-6P @ Vets

Holy Angels (JV&V) Wed 11/15 3:30-6P @ Vets (AHA may be short players due to School Retreat?).
WillWork4Hockey

Scrimmages

Post by WillWork4Hockey »

South St. Paul Scrimmage Fest. Saturday. So.St. Paul, Hopkins, Anoka and Andover I believe.
ghshockeyfan

Re: Scrimmages

Post by ghshockeyfan »

WillWork4Hockey wrote:South St. Paul Scrimmage Fest. Saturday. So.St. Paul, Hopkins, Anoka and Andover I believe.
SSP does this right. Great event. Should be a model for all events of this type.
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Richfield/AHA will host Stillwater and The Blake School on Saturday.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xk1 wrote:Richfield/AHA will host Stillwater and The Blake School on Saturday.
Nice to have 2 teams in the same rink for this reason. Sounds like a good event!
boblee

Post by boblee »

Woodbury will also be up in Grand Rapids this weekend.
GoEV

scrimmages

Post by GoEV »

Bemidji has Eastview, Apple Valley, Hastings, Warroad, Owattona, Park and Chaska this week-end.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Saturday in Grand Rapids:

9:00 Lightning vs Woobdury

2:30 Lightning vs Hibbing
HOCKEYFREAK

EP SCRIMMAGES

Post by HOCKEYFREAK »

Who's at Eden Prarie this Sat? :-k :-k
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

GO EV

Does the Bemidji scrimmage start Fridaynogth or Saturday morning?
GoEV

Bemidji

Post by GoEV »

Elliott - the 40 minute scrimmages start at 3 pm on Friday and end 5 pm on Saturday. Your squad starts at 3:40 on Friday. Varsity at Nymore, JV at BCA.
GoBigRed

Post by GoBigRed »

Cretin had their second scrimmage, after playing Simley on Wednesday, played Hill Murray today. They each had a top half at Highland and the rest at Harding. The group at Highland played well again 8-0 or so.
iceit

scrimmages

Post by iceit »

how did the goalies look for both teams??
GoBigRed

Post by GoBigRed »

Kelsay Scott and Amelia Knudson the 10th graders for CDH both looked very solid on the shots they had to play.

The three Hill goalies played well and made some big saves including the young 8th grader Ali McKeever.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I also saw a young/9th? grade D that was very solid (big/strong kid for her age) wearing black breezers in our CDH scrimmage. I have a hunch she will be good long-term. Don't know her name unfortunately...
GoBigRed

Post by GoBigRed »

That is probably Maggie Pendleton she played last year as an 8th grader for Woodbury at forward and defense - (she put in an overtime goal against Simley early last year wearing a set of the coaches gloves becuase she forgot hers) last year and just started 9th grade at Cretin this fall.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

That's probably her! And yes, she scored the OT winner against my team wearing my coaches gloves!
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Wayzata and Maple Grove scrimmaged and Wayzata beat them 2-1.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

I wonder if a boy's coach would lend his gloves to an opposing player? Have a hard time imagining for example, Tom Vanelli lending a pair of gloves to Chris Hickey when STA and CDH square off. GHS, that's a goal both you and Maggie Pendleton will probbly never forget.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Lightning look good, but need to work on burying the puck.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xwildfan wrote:I wonder if a boy's coach would lend his gloves to an opposing player? Have a hard time imagining for example, Tom Vanelli lending a pair of gloves to Chris Hickey when STA and CDH square off. GHS, that's a goal both you and Maggie Pendleton will probbly never forget.
I'm guessing that this is unusual (the gloves)! I did tell her that it must have been the gloves, but in all sincerity she's a very solid player that should help CDH greatly.
Last edited by ghshockeyfan on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I saw Edina, New Prague, Roseville, and Henry Sibley today in 25 minute scrimmages. I was very pleased with my young team - played 12 skaters - 3 7th's, 3 8th's, 3 11th's, & 3 12th's + a 12th grade G. Some good competition today for us, and at times we were really pinned in our end, but D & G held up for the most part. Other teams had great depth that some skated. I was really impressed with Roseville, but all the teams were very strong. If nothing else I hope the opponents got as much out of it as we did. Great learning experience for us. Kids wore down by the end with only 12 skaters & I don't think that younger players are used to this level of physical hockey, but that's part of the reason why we play the scrimmages & condition so much early on...
Last edited by ghshockeyfan on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Lightning look good again. The girls have to keep their feet moving tho. They coasted around way too much out there. Pat Rendle will take care of that during conditioning time i am sure.