Rise of Juniors, Fall of Midgets/High School

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

randytheram

Rise of Juniors, Fall of Midgets/High School

Post by randytheram »

Last edited by randytheram on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedskates

Juniors vs HS

Post by speedskates »

My son plays on a Junior team in WNY, reasons why include, his school has no team, most good Midget teams have very few spots on them at tryouts, (gone that route before: waste of time), and most that do have spots will only look at size, not skill. Sorry, but most Midget AA or AAA coaches in the area are not what they should be. So.... junior hockey was the way to go for him. And he loves it and finally getting the recognition and training he's been after. So, for him, it's been the best thing so far. Now we only have to decide after this year what to do next., college? more junior hockey? It's a confusing world of hockey choices out there.
larsey

Post by larsey »

Speedskates, how old is your kid? 17-18? If so, i'm standing in your shoes right now. My kid is playing Jr's also and he loves it too. He is getting excellent training that he knows he needs due to a huge personality conflict with the high school coach. Infact, he would have hung up his skates and not played his senior year, but we got a new coach and had so much fun all he wants is to keep playing hockey. Jr. hockey was the perfect solution. If I had been wiser I would have put him in Jr's during HS. He's catching up to his abilities fast and also just recieved a offer from a D3 college to come play for them. I don't know what's going to happen with that, but he's doing great and havin' a blast right now and that's what really matters.
speedskates

Post by speedskates »

Yes, I agree. He's a senior and almost 18, so the next step is trying to find a D3 school to attend where he can make a team. That's where I'm at, trying to find information on the whole process. It's this whole thing about eligibility, etc. that is really confusing. He really wants the college hockey opportunity, and he can do it, even if he has to do another year in juniors. He's having a great time.
juniorhockey

Larsey

Post by juniorhockey »

Larsey,

It's good to hear that your son is doing well and enjoying himself.
larsey

Post by larsey »

Thanks Jr!
You were right about the coaching staff out there. He's probably going to have a hard time leaving there because he's learning so much...things he didn't get in HS. He went from a beaten down high schooler to a confident leader with lots of "Can & will Do"