Shattuck/Thoroughbreds

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyhead

Shattuck/Thoroughbreds

Post by hockeyhead »

How would Shattuck St. Mary's and The Thoroughbreds rank among these top 10 teams in the state? I'm guessing very well, but I thought I would bring the question up on the board.<br>Shattuck plays Holy Angels next week, so we'll know more then, but at this point what do people think? <br><br><br>1. Eden Prairie (7), 2. North St. Paul, 3. Stillwater, 4. Coon Rapids, 5. Benilde-St. Margaret's, 6. Wayzata, 7. Roseville, 8. Cloquet/Esko/Carlton, 9. Centennial, 10. Cretin-Derham Hall<br><br><br>Hockeyhead<br> <p></p><i></i>
Poppy Ortiz

Re: Shattuck/Thoroughbreds

Post by Poppy Ortiz »

There is no HS Team that can touch Shattuck or the Thoroughbreds. They play a totally different game. Game at the U-19 level is much more phyical. Best player in the State is Shattuck's Jocelyne Lamureaux, strong, nose for the net, unstopable. Will be interesting to see before and after teams how they play with Shattuck. Based on what I have seen NAHA puts up a good fight but Shattuck repeats and wins National Title. <p></p><i></i>
WILDHOCKEY

Post by WILDHOCKEY »

I think Shattuck and Thorobreds would be in the top 6 or 7, however Centennial is overrated. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Having not seen the TB or SSM teams THIS season, I would believe that there are 4-5 MN HS teams that could PLAY with them. Physical style adjutment would be needed - I agree with Poppy on that much.<br><br>Forgot to note that if the B&A team doesn't win both State & Nationals I'd be shocked - assuming that they have all the B&A kids that they should on one team that I believe is loaded??? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 1/19/06 8:36 pm<br></i>
hockeygymnast

Post by hockeygymnast »

I don't think any HS team could beat Shattuck (unless goalie stands on her head). Main advantage they have is strength on the puck. T-Breds not as strong as SSM. However, I think in a best of three game series against any HS team, they would come out on top most of the time. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

BSM played SSM even up for first 30 min of a scrimmage a while back. I know it's just a scrimmage, but... this was top lines matched, top G, etc.<br><br>I think the physical play is an issue too in these matchups. <p></p><i></i>
hockeyhead

Post by hockeyhead »

Here are some things that I found online: I thought it would be good to look at. I am high school advocate and think Minnesota High School Girls stack up well. I don't think Joelyne Lamoureaux is the best player in the state of Minnesota. Although she is a very good player she has to stay out of the box to compete! Here are some stats that I feel compare some of Minnesota's best with some of Shattuck's best. <br><br>I took at look at those girls who were in Lake Placid this summer and added their stats. All Lake Placid stats are from a combined 5 games. <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>1990-91 girls</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Kacy Ambroz 3 goals 4 assists 2 PIM<br>New Prague High School 19 games 36 goals 23 assists<br><br>Monique Weber 5 games 5 goals 1 assist 4 PIM<br>Elk River High School 20 games 20 goals and 9 assists <br><br>Monique Lamoureaux 5 goals 0 assist 22 PIM<br>Shattuck-St. Mary’s 40 games39 goals 35 assists 92 points 66 PIM<br><br>Jocelyne Lamoureaux 3 goals 1 assist 10 PIM<br>Shattuck-St. Mary’s 30 games 36 goals 47 assists 66 PIM<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>1988-89 girls</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Emily Kranz Lake Placid 2 goals 1 assist <br>This year at Shattuck- St. Mary’s 40 games 29 goals 68 assists 34 PIM<br><br>Meaghan Pezon Lake Placid 2 goals 4 assists 0 PIM<br>This year playing high school at EP 20 games 30goals 32assists<br><br>Allie Thunstrom Lake Placid 4 goals 1 assist 2 PIM<br>This year playing high school NSP 19 games 43goals 16 assists<br><br>Christina Lee Lake Placid 2 goals 2 assist 6 PIM<br>This year playing high school at Wayzata 20 games 27 goals 25 assist<br><br>Jenna Kilpatrick Lake Placid 2 goals 1 assist<br>This year playing high school at New Prague 20 games 37 goals 34 assists<br><br>Jonnie Bloemers Lake Placid 2 goals 1 assist<br>SSP 20 games 20 goals 24 assists<br><br>Again, I'll take the high school kids! There are many other hockey players that are not mentioned. Some because they were not at Phase 3 in Lake Placid and other because there is not enough room to post. <br><br>I think Shattuck is a good team they would make a run for the state championship. I believe they are a top 3 team for sure. I feel the Thoroughbreds are a top 10 team, but not in the top 4 or 5, and we have seen they are a step behind Shattuck St. Mary's. I could be wrong, but I have to favor the high school teams. <br><br>Yes, it's a different game, but clutch and grab hockey has shown to not work. <br><br>Hockeyhead <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I would have to add that if you take all the best kids from the top 10 teams in the state alone, you'd have to bet that they could - as an all-star team - for certain beat SSm orTB. That is what the "top" B&A team is, but then some, as they have what appear to be many of the best from all 126 teams in the state! Note I say MANY, not ALL!!!<br><br>Also, we have to keep in mind re: SSM that they have some non-us kids??? that may not have been at NDP/lake Placid? Or no??? I'm just throwing that in as I honestly don't know the non-US roster component from SSM... <p></p><i></i>
hubbaa

Post by hubbaa »

poppy just over-rates his teams and i think is a little disappointed that he hasn't been able to recruit more of the better players in the state... <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

People say the same thing about me too, so I can understand that!<br><br>In all sincerity, I believe EP & BSM can likely play with SSM & definitely TB. They have the depth through 2 full lines at F & D, the Goaltending, etc.<br><br>No offense to other top programs in the state HS wise, but with the physical style of play and maybe having close to two full lines of mature/talented depth, some could potentially compete with SSM & TB. I'd have to see SSM & TB this year to say for certain - but I haven't had that honor yet. <p></p><i></i>
PeterPuck123

Post by PeterPuck123 »

Ive talked to some people from the Honeybaked U-19 girls team and they recently (right before the HS season started) played the MN highschool B & A all star team and HB beat them 9-5 the first game and I think it was 6-2 the second. Honeybaked and SSM play each other this weekend in league play. This may be a decent barameter as to the strenghth of SSM, but then again you never can tell. Isn't that why they make them play the games. Plus when you get into the state playoffs I know you shorten your bench for the big games, so take the top two lines for the most part from SSM and pit them against the top two lines for the All star team, and there you go.<br><br>also, for the MN B & A team to score 5 goals against that honeybaked team is pretty impressive. <p></p><i></i>
PeterPuck123

Post by PeterPuck123 »

just looked at ssm's schedule, how are the Holy angels? we will soon find out how SSM does against a MN HS team. in a real game not an un-officiated game like against BSM. <p></p><i></i>
xk1

Post by xk1 »

I believe the SSM-AHA contest is a scrimmage, just like BSM was. <p></p><i></i>
hockeygymnast

Post by hockeygymnast »

It seems this post got away from the original question: SSM or TB v an existing HS team. I've seen lots of HS games and several SSM & TB games. I have no ax to grind. Under a normal, game situation, I don't think there is a HS team that could handle SSM. TB would beat most HS teams. A previous poster talked about an all star team from Minnesota playing SSM. That's another story. I would definitely not bet against a MN all star team v SSM. Although a team full of all stars does not necessarily equal a great team. Just my two cents. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Agreed on the All-Star thoguht. Not so sure on the SSM HS thought. I haven't seen enough this year to know. Years ago there was no way an average HS team could play with SSM/TB, but I think that has changed for the top teams. What about the three dynasty teams? I woudl bet that RV of the mid-to-late 90's, SSP through the late 90's & mid 00's, and now EP could play with TB & SSM at those respective times? Who woudl win??? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 1/20/06 4:22 pm<br></i>
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

In 1996 TB would have smoked any HS team as the league was new.Take a look at the roster to name 2 J.Potter and Brit Ralph and a goalie McMillan.Also in the national tournament that year there was a player for the Conn. Polar Bears 15U named Angela Ruggerio. <p></p><i></i>
hockeygymnast

Post by hockeygymnast »

Regarding how Roseville would do v SSM; hard to tell how good Roseville really was. Girls hockey is obviously much better now than ten years ago. Last year's SSP team is another story. I think they would beat SSM most of the time. However, I still think SSM would win most of the time v EP. I think last year's SSP team would also handle this year's EP team as well. <p></p><i></i>
PeterPuck123

Post by PeterPuck123 »

Honeybaked 19-U 9<br>MN all star team 5<br><br>and this weekend<br><br>Shattuck St. Mary 5<br>Honeybaked 19-U 3<br><br>I know you have to play the games but I'm thinking Shattuck will be able to hang with the MN all star team. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

It will come down to who is on the All Star team(S) and if all the MN HS talent is on one vs. multiple teams. I believe it is somewhat spread out, but I don't know. I didn't follow much of the "B" part of the B&A teams. I know there was some drama team composition wise, but how it all played out I don't know.<br><br>Also, as someone else spoke to earlier, SSM will have the benifit of having team synergy developed. The B&A may have more & better talent, but won't have played all season together as SSM will have. I think it will be fun to see how it all plays out, but I stick by my assessment that if all the top MN HS talent is on one team, anyone in the nation would have a hard time playing with them. <p></p><i></i>
ItsNEBG

Post by ItsNEBG »

THe B&A rosters had better be fixed. This is USA Hockey now and rosters for 2005-06 are required to be fixed by 12/31/05. <br><br>There was some monkey business that went on (threats of lawsuit for example) to create the "A" part of B&A in Minnesota Hockey this year. I would not be very surprised if they messed with the roster rule too. <p></p><i></i>
FACMAN

SSM

Post by FACMAN »

Last spring, before nationals, SSM was looking for a scrimmage. On Easter sunday, some metro kids went down, played them, and won 4-1.<br><br>The forwards were: M. McCarthy, A. Thunstrom, M. Feste, K. Koalska, Lauren Smith, J. Bloemers<br><br>Defense : M. Pezon, Sam Turner, K. Seeler, and one EP kid who played Pee Wees <br><br>Goalies: B. Scavo, A. Strunk<br><br>If the same kids played them ten times, who knows what would happen, but on that particular day....<br><br>The SSM parents in the stands asked if this was some AAA team they'd never seen. They were shocked when told, no the team was put together the night before. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: SSM

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I remember hearing about this. That team was put together overnight (seriously) and I think it was brought up the day before at an OS Elite League game, etc.<br><br>The PW D from EP is Christina LaCombe. I believe her father is the Bantam or PW A coach at EP? Or was at one point in time?<br><br>And - by the way - she is very good. I expect her to make a huge impact next year on the V team at EP. Their D is already scary good, and it only gets better with her added to the mix. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 1/23/06 10:15 am<br></i>
PeterPuck123

Re: SSM

Post by PeterPuck123 »

Anybody know the score of the AHA vs. Shattuck scrimmage tonight? <p></p><i></i>