New sections?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rocketwrister

New sections?

Post by Rocketwrister »

So next year class A girls hockey will have 8 teams participating in the state tournament correct?? <br><br>My question is, how do you think the MSHSL will break up the sections to accomodate 8 next year? <br><br>Will they base it off the AA schools sections?<br><br>I know the MSHSL just switched up some sections this past year, and I thought it was a 2 year commitment...but class A goes to 8 teams, I don't see how it would work.<br><br>Thanks. <p>www.rebelhockey.com</p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: New sections?

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Can't be the same as AA section I don't think. It will be done by the same computer program that handles the AA, etc. and did the A too I believe, then I think they have a meetng about the results and work out any "issues" with the computer model??? There are some criteria, no more than 8 in a section, certain geographical proximity concerns, etc. I believe??? <p></p><i></i>
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

I'm sure some AA teams will be moved down to A to even out the two classes. Teams can still opt up, but if they do, the next smallest AA team will likely be moved down. this is what they do in Basketball so they have 8 teams in a section in AAAA and AAA. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Right - the catch is will any choose to opt down??? If not, we'll have many 9-10 team AA and 6-7 team A sections...<br><br>Currently there are 55 A and 71 AA teams... <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I'd prefer 7 8-team Class A sections with a back-door runner-up 8th section for the 7 runner-ups to playoff for??? Not sure how you'd work this - but I know this is what the boys used to do years ago???<br><br>I suppose you'd ahve to have the 7 sections finish before the weekend prior to state and then find a neutral site to play a 3 game single elimination tourney with top seeded team getting a bye in first round... <p></p><i></i>