MN Lakers 14U to Nationals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The51

MN Lakers 14U to Nationals

Post by The51 »

Yesterday, the MN Lakers 14u team was selected as an at-large bid for the Bantam national championships taking place in 2 weeks in Plymouth, MI

They received the 6 seed and were placed in a pool with the Pittsburgh Pens Elite, Boston Jr Eagles and Valley Forge Minutemen
https://nationals.usahockey.com/2023youthtieri14u

Looking at their team on eliteprospects the breakout of their roster appears to be the following

Minnetonka Bantam AA - 9 players
CC Bantam AA - 3
Edina Bantam AA - 3
Shakopee Bantam AA - 1
Shakopee HS - 1
Waconia HS - 1
Eden Prairie Bantam AA - 1
Jefferson Bantam AA - 1

Good luck to them, it will be interesting to see how they do.
I wish the MSHSL would let the state champion go play in the 18u tournament. Maybe one day
westsidescout

Re: MN Lakers 14U to Nationals

Post by westsidescout »

They have a decent chance to go 2-1 in pool play and advance to the knockout round.

The netminders could be an issue, one is the B1 from Edina and the other is the BA from Tonka...both athletic but about 5'5" each. The competition at nationals is not the same as MN Fall HP, a lot of snipers in tier1.

For shattuck being the #1 overall seed, they got a brutal pool draw.
The51

Post by The51 »

westsidescout wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:01 am They have a decent chance to go 2-1 in pool play and advance to the knockout round.

The netminders could be an issue, one is the B1 from Edina and the other is the BA from Tonka...both athletic but about 5'5" each. The competition at nationals is not the same as MN Fall HP, a lot of snipers in tier1.

For shattuck being the #1 overall seed, they got a brutal pool draw.
Interesting I did not know that.. that could make things very tough for them. This level of hockey is very different from Bantam A and miles different than BB1. They will have to win elsewhere but agree they do appear to have gotten a favorable pool draw
The51

Post by The51 »

Is this new? When did MN fall teams become eligible to be selected for nationals?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am Is this new? When did MN fall teams become eligible to be selected for nationals?
No, it is not new.
I do not remember the first year, but it has been a few years.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:45 am
The51 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am Is this new? When did MN fall teams become eligible to be selected for nationals?
No, it is not new.
I do not remember the first year, but it has been a few years.
Very interesting. Does this only apply to the 14u level?
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

The 18U Tier II National Tournament is taking place in Maple Grove this year, March 30-April 3. MN has two teams in the tournament, the Grey Ducks & the Voyageurs. Free admission.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2023youthtierii18u3a
The51

Post by The51 »

OtterPuck wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:09 am The 18U Tier II National Tournament is taking place in Maple Grove this year, March 30-April 3. MN has two teams in the tournament, the Grey Ducks & the Voyageurs. Free admission.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/2023youthtierii18u3a
I did some exploring around minnesota hockey's website. Sounds like 14u 15o and 16u fall teams are eligible for tier 1 nationals and the 14 and 18u tier 2 teams are also eligible but for some reason the elite league isn't eligible for the 18u tier 1 national championships
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

Its fascinating USA Hockey gave them an at large birth. They based it off of the MyRankings and yes Lakers are in the top 10 and played enough games to qualify. However, they only played 1 legit Tier 1 team in SSM and caught them off guard the first game of SSM season. After that they played the 60th, 89th, 49th, 101st, and 33rd ranked U14 Tier 1 teams. They lost twice to the HP Polars team and the last one was to go to championship to play SSM to qualify for Nationals.

And the first team out Windy City (ranked 12th) went 11-8-2 against the National qualifying teams with a 36-14-8 overall record.

I hope they do well but will be interesting to see how they stack up. They got a great draw as they put them in as the 6th seed so they are playing the mid level qualified teams in their 4 team pool. Good luck to the MN Lakers team.
The51

Post by The51 »

HockeyTalk2020 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am Its fascinating USA Hockey gave them an at large birth. They based it off of the MyRankings and yes Lakers are in the top 10 and played enough games to qualify. However, they only played 1 legit Tier 1 team in SSM and caught them off guard the first game of SSM season. After that they played the 60th, 89th, 49th, 101st, and 33rd ranked U14 Tier 1 teams. They lost twice to the HP Polars team and the last one was to go to championship to play SSM to qualify for Nationals.

And the first team out Windy City (ranked 12th) went 11-8-2 against the National qualifying teams with a 36-14-8 overall record.

I hope they do well but will be interesting to see how they stack up. They got a great draw as they put them in as the 6th seed so they are playing the mid level qualified teams in their 4 team pool. Good luck to the MN Lakers team.
Was thinking the same thing, very cool for them but their schedule left a lot to be desired from an at-large perspective
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

HockeyTalk2020 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am Its fascinating USA Hockey gave them an at large birth. They based it off of the MyRankings and yes Lakers are in the top 10 and played enough games to qualify. However, they only played 1 legit Tier 1 team in SSM and caught them off guard the first game of SSM season. After that they played the 60th, 89th, 49th, 101st, and 33rd ranked U14 Tier 1 teams. They lost twice to the HP Polars team and the last one was to go to championship to play SSM to qualify for Nationals.

Lakers top line can match up with most of the tier1 teams but there is a decent drop off after that. I think their win vs SSM carried a lot of weight to give them am at-large bid. I'm fairly certain if SSM played them again they'd get put into run time. SSM took 7 penalties and gave up 2 PP goals...and it was their first game, they're a different animal now.

I hope they do well, it will help other MN Fall HP teams in the future.
The51

Post by The51 »

I’ve been out of the loop for a few years so the fact this is now available for MN is still pretty new to me. Just had a few questions if anyone knew

1. Why are the elite league teams not eligible for the 18 tournament
2. What led MN Hockey to making teams eligible for this now
3. Do you think the MSHSL would ever allow the HS state champion to go
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am I’ve been out of the loop for a few years so the fact this is now available for MN is still pretty new to me. Just had a few questions if anyone knew

a. they have not requested it b. a number of their players will play juniors after the high school season and would not be available.

USAH requested MN Hockey to send teams. MN Hockey fall HP program was designed to allow for a playoff and possible inclusion besides SSM. It did not interfere with the 'traditional' MH season.

3. Do you think the MSHSL would ever allow the HS state champion to go.
The high school teams are not part of USAH and not eligible. The MSHSL has no say in the matter.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 am
The51 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am I’ve been out of the loop for a few years so the fact this is now available for MN is still pretty new to me. Just had a few questions if anyone knew

a. they have not requested it b. a number of their players will play juniors after the high school season and would not be available.

USAH requested MN Hockey to send teams. MN Hockey fall HP program was designed to allow for a playoff and possible inclusion besides SSM. It did not interfere with the 'traditional' MH season.

The high school teams are not part of USAH and not eligible. The MSHSL has no say in the matter.

Interesting insight I appreciate the response. To question #2 I think it’s the right way to do it. I noticed MA does it the same way. Their national representative for 18 the Boston Jr Eagles won the state tournament on Nov.

As to question 3 that makes sense. I’m sure the answer is pretty complicated but is it a choice that the high schools don’t register with USAH? Could they without having it affect their season so that they could be eligible
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:04 am

Interesting insight I appreciate the response. To question #2 I think it’s the right way to do it. I noticed MA does it the same way. Their national representative for 18 the Boston Jr Eagles won the state tournament on Nov.

As to question 3 that makes sense. I’m sure the answer is pretty complicated but is it a choice that the high schools don’t register with USAH? Could they without having it affect their season so that they could be eligible
THEY CURRENTLY AFFILIATE WITH ____ (I DO NOT RECALL THE EXACT NAME)
Yes, it would change some things - some rules are different - players would need to register teams would need to register.
Nott that all of it could not be overcome but it would change the way things were done.
MSHSL would have to answer to the MN Hockey board would be what thy would resist the most (in my opinion).
And that MIGHT affect where the money ends up.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:15 am

Yes, it would change some things - some rules are different - players would need to register teams would need to register.
Nott that all of it could not be overcome but it would change the way things were done.
MSHSL would have to answer to the MN Hockey board would be what thy would resist the most (in my opinion).
That all makes sense. IMO, MN High school is in a unique position where they could probably negotiate a spot at nationals for their state champ without actually having to register as part of USAH. Especially with the 4 at-large bids that now exist they could take one of those. It probably would not be an easy battle and in their eyes that may make it not worth it but it would have been fun to follow this Minnetonka team at nationals.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:34 am

That all makes sense. IMO, MN High school is in a unique position where they could probably negotiate a spot at nationals for their state champ without actually having to register as part of USAH. Especially with the 4 at-large bids that now exist they could take one of those. It probably would not be an easy battle and in their eyes that may make it not worth it but it would have been fun to follow this Minnetonka team at nationals.
It can't happen. They would need to register through MN Hockey.
There is no possible circumvention.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:00 am

Bummer, well then it's too bad they can't make it work with MN Hockey to allow it
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:08 am

Bummer, well then it's too bad they can't make it work with MN Hockey to allow it
Mn Hockey would take it on but the MSHSL is not about to change.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:14 am
Sorry yes that’s what I meant
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:14 am

It would be cool because going back to your comment about elite league guys leaving for juniors, players would be stronger incentivized to stay the 2 weeks you wait for nationals if it was for their high school team rather than a random all star team
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). They govern most of the High School sports nation wide.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

BSUBeaver wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:58 pm

National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). They govern most of the High School sports nation wide.
Thanks
Beav

What years were you there?
Just curious if I had you as a student?
The51

Post by The51 »

Elliott, is this fall league something that has had good buy-in from Minnesota kids and parents? Do pretty much all the top kids participate or is it more hit or miss?

More so thinking of the 14,15,16 ages
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:12 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:58 pm

Thanks
Beav

What years were you there?
Just curious if I had you as a student?
90-96. Ended up with a Social Studies and Mathematics Secondary Ed.