Section 7A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Hermantown vs #2 Rock Ridge

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the 7A Final?

Hermantown
60%
Rock Ridge
40%

Total votes: 15

ClassAGuy

Section 7A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Hermantown vs #2 Rock Ridge

Post by ClassAGuy »

Section 7A Championship (3/1/23)
#1 seed Hermantown (24-2-1) vs #2 seed Rock Ridge (18-8-1)
@ Amsoil Arena, Duluth, MN

Hermantown enters the 7A final looking to return to St. Paul for the 13th time in the last 14 years. The Hawks showed some vulnerability when they scored with just 15 seconds left to get by #4 seed Hibbing. However, they have depth and speed throughout the lineup and have really taken another step in their game since the return of Kade Kohaski to the line up.

Meanwhile, Rock Ridge enters having been playing good hockey of their own down the stretch. They routed Duluth Denfeld the Section 7A Semifinal. This is the first Section Final appearance for the new co-op and its been awhile since even Virginia or Eveleth have been in this stage. This will be it for the Wolverines as they head into 7AA next winter.

They did play each other just a few weeks ago and Rock Ridge did hang around for 2 periods before the Hawks took it to another level in the third.

Can Rock Ridge pull off the miracle or are we looking at the Hawks again in 7A?
The Lake Show

Re: Section 7A Final (3/1/23)- #1 Hermantown vs #2 Rock Ridge

Post by The Lake Show »

How is it that Rock Ridge is willing to move up and yet Hermantown still won't...
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

The Lake Show wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:37 pm How is it that Rock Ridge is willing to move up and yet Hermantown still won't...
Almost guaranteed trip to St. Paul every year. But they're a little shaky this year unlike years past. See last night's game with Hibbing.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:22 pm
The Lake Show wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:37 pm How is it that Rock Ridge is willing to move up and yet Hermantown still won't...
Almost guaranteed trip to St. Paul every year. But they're a little shaky this year unlike years past. See last night's game with Hibbing.
I respectfully disagree on Hermantown being a little shaky. I watched the game against Hibbing and thought the Hawks actually looked sharp. Their passing and shooting were crisp and on. Their transition game was smooth. They also got very good goaltending.

Hibbing hung tough with them from the start. When Hermantown eventually broke through and went up 2-0 I figured the game would get away from them. But, unlike most teams who get down a couple to a team like the Hawks, The Bluejackets continued to play their game. Their goalie was lights out and they seemed to feed off that. To battle back and tie it was a total team effort. I didn’t see a drop off in Hermantown’s play at all. In my opinion it was Hibbing not panicking over the Hermantown mystique.

Rock Ridge will need to play the same way. Hoping a team like Hermantown will lay an egg is a waste of time.

I think Hibbing showed that if you play like you know you can win anything can happen. If Eveleth/ Virginia can bring some of their own swagger with them the game could be better than anyone thinks. Tall order for sure, but not impossible.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:25 am
I respectfully disagree on Hermantown being a little shaky. I watched the game against Hibbing and thought the Hawks actually looked sharp. Their passing and shooting were crisp and on. Their transition game was smooth. They also got very good goaltending.

Hibbing hung tough with them from the start. When Hermantown eventually broke through and went up 2-0 I figured the game would get away from them. But, unlike most teams who get down a couple to a team like the Hawks, The Bluejackets continued to play their game. Their goalie was lights out and they seemed to feed off that. To battle back and tie it was a total team effort. I didn’t see a drop off in Hermantown’s play at all. In my opinion it was Hibbing not panicking over the Hermantown mystique.

Rock Ridge will need to play the same way. Hoping a team like Hermantown will lay an egg is a waste of time.

I think Hibbing showed that if you play like you know you can win anything can happen. If Eveleth/ Virginia can bring some of their own swagger with them the game could be better than anyone thinks. Tall order for sure, but not impossible.
And Gilbert.
Where do Mountain Iron and Buhl hockey players go to now?
Are they part of Rock Ridge?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:13 am

And Gilbert.
I wasn’t sure how many schools combined there.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:45 am
elliott70 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:13 am

And Gilbert.
I wasn’t sure how many schools combined there.
I believe it's Virginia-Mt. Iron-Buhl-Eveleth-Gilbert-Mesabi East-Cherry. I think the total hockey enrollment is approaching that of GR.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Agreed. Hopefully Hibbing's performance boosts RR's confidence going into the game, knowing that if Hibbing can almost take down the Hawks, RR's additional scoring depth might be able to finish the job. It will also be interesting to see if RR copies the trap Hibbing used, and if so, what adjustments Herm might make. Or maybe such a close game was a wake up call for the Hawks, and they come out on full blast and run away with this one. I hope not. 8) Go Wolverines!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

0-0 After 1 period

SOG 7-5 RR
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Hawks score a late 2nd period goal and lead 1-0 over Rock Ridge
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Hermantown scores with 12 second left in the 2n period and they lead 2-0 over RR
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

RR cuts it 2-1 3rd period!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Hawks win 3-1 Final Good game