Size vs. Skill

puckhead89

Size vs. Skill

Post by puckhead89 »

As athletes move into the tryout stages, whether it be for high school varsity, elite fall leagues, advanced Minnesota teams or USA hockey teams, I am curious as to opinions from those with experience or knowledge as to when size becomes a critical factor in the decision making process. My experiences in the last couple of years have been that when kids ages 14-18 have been judged, it appears that the majority of judges/coaches tend to choose size over skill. Don't get me wrong, I understand some athletes are chosen for their "promise" of attaining higher skill as oposed to their current level of skill.<br><br>My intent is not to generalize here, but to seek out opinions on what the smaller stature athlete can do to combat this. I am aware that tryouts are subjective and that many good players are overlooked....I know the drill. But, time and time again I have seen very talented young men passed over for the bigger guy. I see it occur most frequently in goaltending and defense, which I suppose shouldn't be surprising. But, if you haven't noticed from my previous threads, I am more familiar with the goal position. I see skill, for example, in goaltending so often times glazed over for the goalie that is 2 or 3" taller and covers space, but who typically is not as quick or as smooth in his movement in the net. I have been around the block with people on this one. We all talk about work ethic, learning your position, honing your skills....but when does size begin to take precedence or should it at all? <br><br>Is there anyone out there who can provide good, solid advice to these young athletes? Or anyone out there who has an opinion on size vs. skill? <p></p><i></i>
Dusey

Re: Size vs. Skill

Post by Dusey »

Generalizing - This topic can be found in the Library in a thousand publications.<br><br>I am a huge advocate of skating - skating - skating. The attributes of acceleration, stopping, lateral movement, weaving give the better skater a huge advantage. That said, it is rare, not impossible, for a larger player to have those attributes. I'll take that little guy, any day, that can rock and roll down the ice with the above skating skills. Once the "Big Guys", with less skating ability, learn to play the angles, particularly on "D", they can be very effective. They just need movement on the blades in order to start an effective breakout. <br><br>You watch, starting this year, with the absence of the "RED LINE" in the NHL, the reappearance of the "little guy". A whole new, more exciting game. I can't possibly list all the great "Small NHLer's" here, but J. Lemaire, Savard (chicago), Broten, Gretzky, Pavelich and the list goes on and on. How can anybody forget Curt Giles on "D" for the Stars. <br><br>Size is wonderful if you can use it effectively, or if you need a enforcer or that wide body in front of the net on the PP. How many Jagr's & Lemeiux's are out there or Johnny Mayasich's (unusual size for the 50's).<br><br>Boston, in the 70's did it with size, Esposito, Bucyk, Cashman, etc, but they had Orr and Sanderson. <br><br>Bottom line, I don't care about size. Skating, shooting, seeing the ice, and the big heart is where it's at. <br><br>Skate boys, skate, and skate hard, that's what it's all about. <br><br>I could go on forever about this topic, but time and space is limited.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
RLStars

Re: Size vs. Skill

Post by RLStars »

I think the smaller, more skilled players are more fun to watch. Look at the Class AA championship last year. In my opinion, Moorheads best player was not Brian Lee, it was Corey Johnson who I believe is 5'7". He was exciting to watch FLY up and down the ice. Unfortunately size does seem to win out. I'm not sure Corey is even playing hockey this year, I understand he is an excellent track athlete.<br><br>A smaller player needs to work a little harder for things to come thier way, but it can and does happen. <br><br>The player of the year in the USHL last year was a goalie named Jeff Lerg. He is listed at 5'6" and 150 lbs, but it seems that most of the time the players have an inch or two and a few pounds added to those stats. <p></p><i></i>
ptown tigers

Post by ptown tigers »

when I think of this subject I think of a quote I have heard from many different coaches at all levels.<br><br>"You can teach a kid to skate, but its tough to teach someone to be 6'4"." <p></p><i></i>
Forest Dump

Re: Quote

Post by Forest Dump »

One can't argue with ptown tigers.<br><br>Now, you have to teach that 6'4" player to skate, and it can be done. What I see is the big guys "sometimes" outgrow their coordination level. Their ability catches up later than their size. We've all seen it. The big guy has to work harder at an earlier age so that his coordination keeps up with his size.<br><br>Dedicated players, with the help of dedicated parents and coaches can make this happen. There is no magic formula, large or small, just hard work and dedication combined with natural ability. <br><br>Some teachers will give you an "A" for effort. Many coaches will give that kid a chance that is less talented but works his butt off. <br><br>Sorry, I'm rambling on here.<br><br>I've had this conversation with the youngsters. Very few reach the top of the pyramid. Those that do, aren't always blessed with the most natural ability, but those that reach the top have worked the hardest. I'll guarantee that.<br><br>AND - those that do, have had to sacrifice other things in life.<br><br>It ain't always rosy on the way up.<br><br>Another quote "the bigger they are, the harder they fall". <br><br> <p></p><i></i>