USHL TEAMS IN MINNESOTA.

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HOT SHOT

USHL TEAMS IN MINNESOTA.

Post by HOT SHOT »

Why is there no USHL JR teams in minnesota ? <p></p><i></i>
juniorhockey

Re: USHL TEAMS IN MINNESOTA.

Post by juniorhockey »

It failed. The Minnesota Vulcans and Minnesota Junior Stars both played in MN and could not get the attendance to keep the organization a float. People are more into DIII, H.S. or D1. <p></p><i></i>
Offside

MN and USHL Teams

Post by Offside »

Obviously, it gets down to money. Teams need to sell tickets and obtain sponsorships to sustain a team long term. Winning helps to keep the fans in the stands. The team need to be in the right market. Obviously the community needs to support the team. Some communities don't have the right make up, some have "other games" in town which compete, some don't have the business community to back up or support the team, etc.
easthockey21

Chicago Steel

Post by easthockey21 »

The chicago steel get maybe 30 fans on weekends and about 100 on weekends they can not be making any money off of those attendences the teams that thrive are the teams that are in small town and don't have any other hockey teams!!!
larsey

Post by larsey »

East has it right, it comes down to small towns with nothing else. My kid is playing Jr's in Bozeman, Mt. It's the only show in town and they can draw anywhere from 500-1000+ per game. Geography has a lot to do with it!
wild77

Post by wild77 »

larsey wrote:East has it right, it comes down to small towns with nothing else. My kid is playing Jr's in Bozeman, Mt. It's the only show in town and they can draw anywhere from 500-1000+ per game. Geography has a lot to do with it!
Just wondering how he's doing in the Nor Pac? I talked to a kid this summer that was considering Bozeman, but he ended up in the MNJHL. The crowds aren't nearly as big, but the exposure to Junior A coaches and such may prove to be better. IMO, I thought the CSHL would be the route to go. Always looking for opinions especially from personal experience. Good luck to your son.
scottparker

Post by scottparker »

With the exeption of Ohio, most of the USHL teams bring in from 2500 to 4000 fans to each game.. But I guess it's up to the owner, if he (they?) can go along without making enough money to pay for the rink, then that's up to them..

MN just has too many options to support a USHL team, IMHO...