Whats up with HockeyHub?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyBum

Whats up with HockeyHub?

Post by HockeyBum »

I know this has been beating to death this year but I am really put out, since the Star Tribune took over ownership of the website it has completely tanked.

1- What no State tourney coverage? Outstate teams little to no coverage
2- Outstate teams little to no coverage
3- What does a guy need to do to get game times, scores and live game scoring updates?

Anyone else want to give it to the Star Tribune or provide reasons for them buying a website that really had their crap together and dismantle the very nature of why they were successful and at the same time take away a media source that many people loved to utilize and relied on?
almostashappy

Re: Whats up with HockeyHub?

Post by almostashappy »

HockeyBum wrote:I know this has been beating to death this year but I am really put out, since the Star Tribune took over ownership of the website it has completely tanked.

1- What no State tourney coverage? Outstate teams little to no coverage
2- Outstate teams little to no coverage
3- What does a guy need to do to get game times, scores and live game scoring updates?

Anyone else want to give it to the Star Tribune or provide reasons for them buying a website that really had their crap together and dismantle the very nature of why they were successful and at the same time take away a media source that many people loved to utilize and relied on?
The Strib has held a strong financial interest in the various hubs for more than a few years...including the years when you say they had their crap together. It's pretty clear that the business model didn't work...the rebranding of the web site as a Star Tribune enterprise might have been a precondition for the latest infusion of cash (along with severe budget cuts). This has been discussed in previous threads.

As for Tourney 14 coverage....I'm pretty certain that for the last couple of years the hub's Tourney page, Tourney guide, and full tournament coverage went live late Tuesday afternoon of tournament week (coinciding with the Star Tribune's sports section supplement). I would expect the same timing this year. But I wouldn't expect the same level of coverage.
12thgraders

Post by 12thgraders »

So far this season, this site is the closest thing I can find that rivals the previous season's Hockey Hub.

http://minnesotahockeymag.com/category/high-school/

I know last year's tournament guide was produced by Breakdown Sports. I know that some of Breakdown's personalities are contributors to MN Hockey Mag this year. Same goes for the Hockey Encyclopedia at the start of each season.
HockeyGuy85'

Post by HockeyGuy85' »

12thgraders wrote:So far this season, this site is the closest thing I can find that rivals the previous season's Hockey Hub.

http://minnesotahockeymag.com/category/high-school/

I know last year's tournament guide was produced by Breakdown Sports. I know that some of Breakdown's personalities are contributors to MN Hockey Mag this year. Same goes for the Hockey Encyclopedia at the start of each season.
That's because the same guy who started hockey hub started mnhockeymag
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

I thought from the get go that the rebranding effort (new look, etc) was lousy.

Frankly, I can't say I particularly liked the functionality and other things of the old Hub either. But this new one might be worse.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Gopher Blog wrote:I thought from the get go that the rebranding effort (new look, etc) was lousy.

Frankly, I can't say I particularly liked the functionality and other things of the old Hub either. But this new one might be worse.
Yeah, the old site was clunky, but at least it had far and away the best coverage of HS games out there. Now, not so much.

I'm curious to see how big of a team they have working for them at the Tourney this year.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

We got a lot of coverage on http://MinnesotaHockeyMag.com this weekend. Be sure to check it out!
wogggieee

Post by wogggieee »

The mobile site is horrible as well which is somewhat important if you want to check stats or schedules while you're at a game.
gitter

Post by gitter »

ZachHalverson wrote:We got a lot of coverage on http://MinnesotaHockeyMag.com this weekend. Be sure to check it out!
If you guys can work on getting all the teams schedules/results and rosters on that site next year, I would have no need for the Hub anymore.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

gitter wrote:
ZachHalverson wrote:We got a lot of coverage on http://MinnesotaHockeyMag.com this weekend. Be sure to check it out!
If you guys can work on getting all the teams schedules/results and rosters on that site next year, I would have no need for the Hub anymore.
Come on Pete....your 3,4,5,6,7,8,10 final top ten are all done....
minus3db

Post by minus3db »

As always, MSBN has all the games this week.

www.msbnsports.net

This includes both 3rd place games as well.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

gitter wrote:
It's funny you mention that...stay tuned.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

Gopher Blog wrote:I thought from the get go that the rebranding effort (new look, etc) was lousy.

Yea its by far worse. cant pull team stats on my phone any longer. All its good for now is checking scores and upcomming games and thats about it. My ipad seems to work ok with the site though.