Edina ( defense and goaltending)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Edina ( defense and goaltending)

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Looking for fans, parents, or other people who have seen Edina live. I always value posts by the owners of the forum but am looking for anyone who has seen Edina play live to post reasons that Edina should be ranked top five. Information to include anything that you feel separates them from the other 150 teams in high school hockey and puts them in a top five ranking.
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey922

Post by Hockey922 »

There is not a doubt in my mind Edina is the #1 team in the state. They are great moving the puck and just an overall solid team.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

I've seen Edina play 4 times this year and they are easily a top 3 team. Excellent puck control and very well balanced as far as positions and lines.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Saw them play against WBL this past Saturday. Very well coached, a lot of team speed, great moving the puck out of their own zone, a lot of tape to tape passing, and a lot of balance between lines.

Only knock I had on them was the amount of penalties they took as the game went on. It was a chippy game from both sides though.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Great coaching, highly skilled players, depth, quality goaltending, premier program in the state, defending champs, 7 state titles, affluent community, work ethic... Clearly top 3 in the state, need anything else?
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Deep.
Every line a threat to score.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I've watched Edina play twice this year (Centennial and Eden Prairie). The first period of the Centennial game was a bad period for them, but in the other 5 they looked great and completely dominated play.

Year in and year out Edina always seems to out-hustle the other team when I watch them and the games this year were no different. They have very skilled players in Malmquist, Fidler, and Nanne. That isn't to say those are the only three, but those three stood out to me as players who can take over a high school game and win it for their team.

Edina is easily a top 5 team this year and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be playing Burnsville in the section 2 final and I expect them to win it. I'll be cheering for Burnsville and really hope this is their year, but if I bet I would be betting on Edina to come out of Section 2 and make a good run in the tournament.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Oops!
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Where are you running the article we will be writing for you?
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Oops!
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:I do not have articles nor my own web page. Just a fan who wants to hear from fans who see a team more than once a year prior to playoff time.
I'm sorry that my answer wasn't good enough. I am not as good as most forum posters at describing what they see. I'm just a fan and not good at breaking down high school hockey teams.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I feel very strongly they will repeat this year. That being said, a lot always has to go right including a bit of luck. They just have so much depth, are so well coached and have an abundance of highly skilled players who can get it done.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

I do not want to see Edina back at state this year and I really hope that Burnsville takes them out in sections. I do have the upmost respect for Edina though. I used to think they just get all the lucky bounces but if you really watch them you can see they have a team full of kids with Zach Parise work ethic and that creates opportunities for them that you don't see with other teams. They've ben to state the last 10 years in a row so I want someone else now but they definitely deserve it when they make it to St. Paul or win it all. I think the only team that can beat them at state this year is Hill. But I think it will be dang tough for them to get past the BLAZE in sections.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I think a big part of Edina's success is that every opponent brings their A game against the Hornets, from Squirts to Varsity. Like someone else said, this high school team has a long tradition and culture of outworking opponents -- because they have to. That has to come from coaching, I think. And also the fear of getting replaced by the next kid in line.

Plenty of excellent upperclassmen have lost varsity spots over the years to young guns; some programs have unwritten policies about returning upperclassmen getting the benefit of the doubt. No such policy in Edina -- which rankles those who feel loyalty should work two ways. But you certainly can't argue against their success.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Excellence typically breeds more excellence. They are a model program and have stood the test of time quite well. They will likely continue to be a force to reckon with for decades to come too.
green4

Post by green4 »

I think Depth and coaching are there two strongest points
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

I've seen Edina 4 times this year. At the Schwan's and B-ville. They are in my mind the best team in the state top to bottom. They have excellent overall speed and skill and are big enough to play with the physical teams. Like most Edina's teams, they come out for the games I've seen and expect to win. The biggest weakness I've seen is they occasionally take some dumb penalties but beyond that IMO are the favorites to win state.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Juggernaut wrote:I've seen Edina 4 times this year. At the Schwan's and B-ville. They are in my mind the best team in the state top to bottom. They have excellent overall speed and skill and are big enough to play with the physical teams. Like most Edina's teams, they come out for the games I've seen and expect to win. The biggest weakness I've seen is they occasionally take some dumb penalties but beyond that IMO are the favorites to win state.
I know, way too early to look this far ahead, but I'd love to see the State Tournament title game come down to Duluth East vs. Edina. Things could certainly change, but as of right now that would pit the best of the North against the best of the South. Edina would be favored, but 90% of the X would be cheering loud for the underdog. It's a long-shot that these two teams would both survive to get to that game, but it would be a fun one.
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

I know, way too early to look this far ahead, but I'd love to see the State Tournament title game come down to Duluth East vs. Edina. Things could certainly change, but as of right now that would pit the best of the North against the best of the South. Edina would be favored, but 90% of the X would be cheering loud for the underdog. It's a long-shot that these two teams would both survive to get to that game, but it would be a fun one.
I agree. From what I saw of DE at the Schwan's, they are very good team and got better throughout the tournament. I'd cheering with that 90% :D
bemused

Post by bemused »

Juggernaut wrote:
I agree. From what I saw of DE at the Schwan's, they are very good team and got better throughout the tournament. I'd cheering with that 90% :D
That would be the only hockey game in over 40 years where
I would not be cheering for either team. Go Elks! Go Blaze!
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Summary of Edina qualities

Edina qualities so far.

Moving the puck out of zone
Tape to tape passing
Balanced lines
Coach
Team speed
Quality goalie
Work ethic
Malquist
Fidler
Nanne
Abundance of skill
Taking young guns when they show ability
Last edited by grandmeadowhockeyfan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sartellcelly

edina

Post by Sartellcelly »

Shinbone_News wrote:I think a big part of Edina's success is that every opponent brings their A game against the Hornets, from Squirts to Varsity. Like someone else said, this high school team has a long tradition and culture of outworking opponents -- because they have to. That has to come from coaching, I think. And also the fear of getting replaced by the next kid in line.

Plenty of excellent upperclassmen have lost varsity spots over the years to young guns; some programs have unwritten policies about returning upperclassmen getting the benefit of the doubt. No such policy in Edina -- which rankles those who feel loyalty should work two ways. But you certainly can't argue against their success.
As far as the pattern of seniors being jettisoned for the sake of a similarly skilled underclassman, that has often NOT been the case in recent years. Since 07-08, there have been 4 forwards just off the top of my head who defied that misconception because they earned their spots as seniors: McDonald, Jorgensen, Stolpestad and Hinueber. And the last two on that list played critical roles down the stretch toward state titles.
almostashappy

Re: Summary of Edina qualities

Post by almostashappy »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Edina qualities so far.

Moving the puck out of zone
Tape to tape passing
Balanced lines
Coach
Team speed
Quality goalie
Work ethic
Malquist
Fidler
Nanne
Abundance of skill
Taking young guns over upperclass mediocrity
You forgot to add rich parents to the top of your list. 8)

Hockey is increasingly becoming a rich kid's sport (especially in the Metro), and there's probably no district in the state that has as many high income families per capita. It's the same reason why Edina's U16 and Junior Gold teams are also always at the top of their respective LPH rankings, and why Edina expats fill the rosters of private schools like BSM and Breck
Nevertoomuchhockey

And like it or hate it, MM and Bernie's 365/24 programming have developed a lot of young talent.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

what is MM and Bernies 365/24? Curious. Never heard of it.