Edina Hockey Association - Girls Program

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Good article that divulges some of the secrets to Edina's success at the youth level:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/s ... _id=752796
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

🙊
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:That was such a generic kiss a** article. Sorry. I could write a similar article about every other youth association in this state
But you couldn't tout similar numbers of girls playing youth hockey, especially in an older city of Edina's size. The participation levels are truly unique.
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:....My point is that this article really frustrates me as a hockey parent. USA hockey doesn't need to pat Edina on the back. Really??

What is the "secret" of which you speak??
First I have no connection to Edina whatsoever, but as a "MNHockeyFan" I have to admire what they've accomplished. Of course part of their "secret" lies in the sheer number of girls they're able to get started playing the game at a very young age. A "wide base of the pyramid" as they like to say.

Another piece is their emphasis on making it a social experience, which makes it especially fun for the youngest girls in U8 and U10. I think there's something to this that keeps more girls interested.
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A ] ;)

Lastly, Edina has been able to attract a disproportionate number of former hockey greats (both pro and college) that live in the community who obviously know the game very well. That doesn't necessarily make them good coaches, but many if not most of them are anxious to see their sons and daughters take up hockey and are willing to contribute in any way they can to continue the hockey tradition in the community.

Many other places have elements of all of these, but I think up until this point at least the combination has made Edina pretty special.
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

I have to agree with both of you on this one. Everyone in the state knows the programs Edina has both girls and boys. They also have population in which to pull kids from as well. I think they do a fantastic job in getting these kids into their programs and keeping them playing. Some of it is reputation alone but there has to be that element of fun and development that is keeping these families/kids playing too. MNHockeyfan I agree with you on the article, it is good. However, Nevertoomuchhockey hits the nail on the head when it comes to patting Edina on the back. I have no idea who wrote this article or where they live but let's go out into those communities that have been successful in building their programs with far less of a population base and understand what they are doing to get girls to start playing hockey and how do they retain them long term. This is much more realistic for 90% of the youth associations trying to get girls into playing hockey. We need to celebrate those great stories and accomplishments. By the way youth sports is about development, kids having fun playing a game and not necessarily about how many championship banners hang in an arena, at least at the youth level.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

1) are their numbers this high because of the wealth of the community?
2) are their numbers this high because of the strong tradition of hockey?

An observation...why isn't their high school team dominant?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Tigers33 wrote:1) are their numbers this high because of the wealth of the community?
2) are their numbers this high because of the strong tradition of hockey?

An observation...why isn't their high school team dominant?
First question on wealth my answer would be, "no question Edina's wealth does help, but there are other communities around the cities that are also comparatively wealthy that don't have nearly the numbers that Edina has."

Second, "yes, their strong hockey tradition helps tremendously."

As to your observation, I've also asked myself that question. They are consistently very good, but given the strength of their youth program they've perhaps underachieved some at the high school level.
peterthepuck

Re: Edina Hockey Association - Girls Program

Post by peterthepuck »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Good article that divulges some of the secrets to Edina's success at the youth level:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/s ... _id=752796
Nice article. Where are the comments how to skillfully shorten a bench as not to appear your are to win a championship? Every tight game this team played, 3rd line was lucky to see 30 secs. The bench was shortened to win the 12A championship last year. Funny how three girls from this same squad are playing varsity this year but the coaching staff felt compelled to play these players over 70% of the game so they can hang their banner. I guess they are very good and developing their girls 3 of the 15 and making them into such respectful athletes of the game and their opponents

Your question/answer - to why they underachieve at the HS level. DEVELOPMENT. With all their championships at the girls youth level, they have totally underachieved at the HS level. Have they even won a girls State HS Championship? Did they even make it to State last year? And for sportsmanship & character this Association claims to stand for, all you need to do is look at last year's "purest" 12A team for their jersey pulling antics to the opposite fans when they score. It really showed the true Every Day I Need Attention EDINA moniker :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You are right though - I do envy the program and what is stands for. I wish my young girl could learn these character building life lessons from her coaches and association :P
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

No way would I ever want to defend Edina's using using a short bench at the U12 level, if true, and the same goes for their "jersey pulling antics" - again, assuming that's true. Once again I have no ties to Edina whatsoever, and in fact I haven't even seen one of their youth teams play for at least 8 years now.

I will say that I have seen their high school team play quite a few times during that span, and from what I've observed they've always been respectful of their opponents, their fans and the officials.
Nevertoomuchhockey

🙊
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:It's true. It was broadcast on the web. I could give you ten other examples from last year alone.
At least it shows pride in their team and community instead of the "look how great I am" attitude of many celebrations. One thing I like about girls hockey is that for the most part goal celebrations consist of the goal scorer getting mobbed by her on ice teammates. Group hug, slap on the back, line up for the face-off.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Haters in 'da house! The reality is that Edina, regardless of how many state titles the girls side has or hasn't won, is an awesome hockey program that other programs should try and emulate. Full community support, parents that support the organization beyond the norm, creating a culture of champions, etc. those are the "secrets" Nevertoomuch. Bad sportsmanship can rear it's ugly head at any moment on any team. If you were truthful, you'd admit that...we've all seen it and heard it. To pick on Edina because of an errant perceived occurrence at 12U- true or false, is just an extension of your yellow jealousy. Instead of hating, celebrate their success- they are part of our proud Minnesota hockey heritage and are good for the sport (both girls and boys), good for girls and certainly good for competition.
Nevertoomuchhockey

🙊
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Aaah, I see... So you've never seen or experienced poor conduct from other teams? No whispers of bitc* in the handshake line? No refusal to shake hands? No snowing the goaltender? Are you on the ice when Suzy laces up? Could it be that maybe...you took it a bit too personal? Or maybe there had been some bad blood between the teams that started another time, or via twitter, or when your attention was on something else? I find it very hard to admonish a coach for promoting bad conduct on a team, when 99% of the time, as you admitted, you don't know all the facts. I'll go out on a limb and say that 99.9% of the teams, players, coaches and parents want the same thing- to have their child learn, have fun doing it and to win. But as we all know, sometimes emotions get in the way. So- where does that leave Edina? I'll still stand behind them and say that a variety of things contribute to them having the best municipal hockey program in the country...hands down. And yes, I do think they do it better, and different than other organizations. Success breeds success.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
LivebreathU10A

Post by LivebreathU10A »

Hard water fan wrote:Aaah, I see... So you've never seen or experienced poor conduct from other teams? No whispers of bitc* in the handshake line? No refusal to shake hands? No snowing the goaltender? Are you on the ice when Suzy laces up? Could it be that maybe...you took it a bit too personal? Or maybe there had been some bad blood between the teams that started another time, or via twitter, or when your attention was on something else? I find it very hard to admonish a coach for promoting bad conduct on a team, when 99% of the time, as you admitted, you don't know all the facts. I'll go out on a limb and say that 99.9% of the teams, players, coaches and parents want the same thing- to have their child learn, have fun doing it and to win. But as we all know, sometimes emotions get in the way. So- where does that leave Edina? I'll still stand behind them and say that a variety of things contribute to them having the best municipal hockey program in the country...hands down. And yes, I do think they do it better, and different than other organizations. Success breeds success.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
Is this the same association twearking all over the social media postings complaining about the goal that was disallowed and they lost their coveted U14A "Cake Eater"championship? Nice name BTW. Some crazy has it on video? Better go show the puck police so you can get back that championship. Appears last year's U12 antics are catching up. Buckle up Big Green Machine - it will be a fun year. What did someone post about the good sportsmanship this association always shows and demonstrates and how well they carry themselves in the public eye? Hard-water someone? :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

LivebreathU10A wrote:
Hard water fan wrote:"Cake Eater" championship? Nice name BTW
As discussed previously on this board - the tournament name is an attempt at a jab at themselves - self deprecating.

Should the goal have been disallowed? Should they be upset? Name another team that wouldn't. Nothing to see here.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

With the name of the tournament you would at least expect them to serve cake........was very disappointed the girls didn't get cake. :D
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

goaliedad31 wrote:With the name of the tournament you would at least expect them to serve cake........was very disappointed the girls didn't get cake. :D
They served large amounts of cake at both rinks, so they continued that tradition. I know, because I was at both rinks, because many of the games were played at BIG :evil:
U14ABystander

Post by U14ABystander »

[quote="Bluewhitefan"][quote="LivebreathU10A"][quote="Hard water fan"]"Cake Eater" championship? Nice name BTW[/quote]

Should the goal have been disallowed? Should they be upset? Name another team that wouldn't. Nothing to see here.[/quote]

Pertaining to the U14A Championship game and the disallowed goal. I was there and these are the facts: Edina's player skated into the crease, screened the OMGHA goalie, the OMGHA goalie attempted to push her out of the crease, and a half second later the puck went into the net. Depending on who you are rooting for, you can call it the way you wish. All I know is this: after the game some members of the Edina team were punching the OMGHA players/coaches hands during the handshake. Then after Edina got their 2nd place trophy, they all left the ice before OMGHA got their trophy. Later in the lobby and parking lot, they were chirping toward OMGHA players/parents. And then later that night, they took to their twitter accounts to downplay OMGHA's championship and insult OMGHA players. Not too classy, but those are the things you see from them when things don't turn out in their favor.
LivebreathU10A

Post by LivebreathU10A »

U14ABystander wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
LivebreathU10A wrote: Should the goal have been disallowed? Should they be upset? Name another team that wouldn't. Nothing to see here.
Pertaining to the U14A Championship game and the disallowed goal. I was there and these are the facts: Edina's player skated into the crease, screened the OMGHA goalie, the OMGHA goalie attempted to push her out of the crease, and a half second later the puck went into the net. Depending on who you are rooting for, you can call it the way you wish. All I know is this: after the game some members of the Edina team were punching the OMGHA players/coaches hands during the handshake. Then after Edina got their 2nd place trophy, they all left the ice before OMGHA got their trophy. Later in the lobby and parking lot, they were chirping toward OMGHA players/parents. And then later that night, they took to their twitter accounts to downplay OMGHA's championship and insult OMGHA players. Not too classy, but those are the things you see from them when things don't turn out in their favor.
Sounds like a job for the puck police :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
peterthepuck

Post by peterthepuck »

U14ABystander wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
LivebreathU10A wrote: Should the goal have been disallowed? Should they be upset? Name another team that wouldn't. Nothing to see here.
Would anyone expect any less from this group? It Sounds like the behavior gets a year older, but not much different than their U12A glory days. This pillar of an Association should be mighty proud of the character they are developing in their Teams and the sportsmanship exhibited by their players and coaches. I wonder how their parents feel watching all this unfold? Can they really feel this is acceptable? If they truly left the ice early like the poster stated, that really is a new low, even for this group.
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

Teenagers don't behave? I am shocked, absolutely shocked to hear this.

Some facts: The coach you accused of this behavior last year is still coaching 12U. You can't blame this year, whatever happened, on him. And having a daughter who played for him, he has never displayed anywhere near what this board accuses him of. She still calls the year under his tutelage (and the assistants) her best year.

My daughter played with a handful of these girls and unless they've undergone major personality shifts, these kids just wouldn't behave the way represented here. Great kids, great parents. Even after we defected, we were warmly welcomed back last weekend, (except I didn't get any cake this year.)

If you want to knock Edina hockey for its politics and type-A parents, okay, those I've seen. But can we move off the hatred for this group of kids? My daughter has always told me that slapping/punching in the handshake line is a very common occurrence, and she's been sworn at, spit on and scratched. Even opposing coaches have been unfriendly there. Hockey tends to breed emotion. To single out Edina here is dishonest.

Back to the original topic, there is something about an association that is able to keep attracting kids the way EHA does. It's more than the money, it's seeing EHA jackets and sweatshirts from the time you can read E-H-A, and the fact that girls feel as comfortable as boys playing hockey, there are far more positive stories than negative and the EHA really does have something to be proud of.
U14ABystander

Post by U14ABystander »

[quote="blondegirlsdad"][i]Teenagers don't behave? I am shocked, absolutely shocked to hear this.

Some facts: The coach you accused of this behavior last year is still coaching 12U. You can't blame this year, whatever happened, on him. And having a daughter who played for him, he has never displayed anywhere near what this board accuses him of. She still calls the year under his tutelage (and the assistants) her best year.

My daughter played with a handful of these girls and unless they've undergone major personality shifts, these kids just wouldn't behave the way represented here. Great kids, great parents. Even after we defected, we were warmly welcomed back last weekend, (except I didn't get any cake this year.)

If you want to knock Edina hockey for its politics and type-A parents, okay, those I've seen. But can we move off the hatred for this group of kids? My daughter has always told me that slapping/punching in the handshake line is a very common occurrence, and she's been sworn at, spit on and scratched. Even opposing coaches have been unfriendly there. Hockey tends to breed emotion. To single out Edina here is dishonest.

Back to the original topic, there is something about an association that is able to keep attracting kids the way EHA does. It's more than the money, it's seeing EHA jackets and sweatshirts from the time you can read E-H-A, and the fact that girls feel as comfortable as boys playing hockey, there are far more positive stories than negative and the EHA really does have something to be proud of.[/i][/quote]

I have no horse in the race. I'm just telling you the facts that I saw. I witnessed everything I wrote. No embellishments. I'm sure they are great kids. Sometimes emotions cause strange behavior by even the most mature among us.
Last edited by U14ABystander on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Of course there are great kids, families, and coaches at Edina.

But you cannot defend the indefensible. This coach of which you speak is the model of elitism and arrogance. The Edina teams are too good to have to play dirty and talk smack. It undermines their reputation and legacy. This one coach clearly does not bear the responsibility of the future behavior of girls he's coached on and off the ice. HOWEVER, what he teaches and models carries on.

I'm glad the last poster had a positive experience. Curious to know how your daughter would evaluate her previous coach vs current and future coaches in regards to developing her character and leading by example.
RealisticRonnie

Post by RealisticRonnie »

Nevertoomuchhockey, it's good to see you are still stinging from last year! Nothing makes me laugh quite like your stories of whining and complaining. I've said it before and I'll say it again " GET BETTER and GET OVER IT!

"Show 'em the jersey girls and let 'em know we're coming!
Nevertoomuchhockey

From reading your posts on this forum, I am sure glad we can all provide the laughs as you condescend to "not care" what anyone thinks of your team by being such a prick to anyone who has anything but glowing opinions of Edina. I don't have kids playing against yours, just happened to see a few games last year and familiar with the coach. THANK GOD I don't have to spend the season on the bench next to someone who thinks and believes like you do. I have to stop now or I might "go negative"