AA Quarterfinal: Moorhead vs. #2 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Moorhead
25%
Duluth East
75%

Total votes: 51

karl(east)

AA Quarterfinal: Moorhead vs. #2 Duluth East

Post by karl(east) »

MOORHEAD VS. #2 DULUTH EAST
11:00 Thursday
-Class AA kicks off with a clash of traditional northern powers. East won a January game in Moorhead 5-1, and leads this series 6-3-1 in the last ten meetings. This will be their sixth State Tournament meeting; Moorhead holds a 3-2 edge, with all three of those wins coming in the early 00s.

Moorhead (14-11-2, #24, 1-seed in 8AA)
State appearances: 14 (3 in a row)
Key section win: 2-0 over unranked 2-seed Brainerd
-This is a very different Spuds team from the one that shocked third-ranked Eagan in the first round last season, as coach Dave Morinville and star goalie Michael Bitzer have both moved on. They had their spurts of inconsistency this season, and defense has not always been their forte. They did lock down well as they marched through a fairly weak Section 8AA, and a quartet of quality forwards—Aaron Herdt (8), Thomas Carey (27), Nick Uglem (17), and Tony Uglem (10)—gives them enough offensive punch to make things interesting. Special teams have not been great for the Spuds, which could be a problem against East; they will have to stay out of the box and have sophomore goaltender Jacob Dittmer (33) step up on the big stage if they want to collect a third first-round upset in their last four tournaments.

Duluth East (24-4, #3, 1-seed in 7AA)
State appearances: 20 (5 in a row)
Championships: 3 (1960, 1995, 1998)
Key section wins: 3-0 over #23 Cloquet, 4-3 over #9 Grand Rapids
-A year after falling flat as the favorites, the Hounds head back to St. Paul with a team that is less explosive but still a very real title contender, having won their last 16 games. Their defense is their greatest strength, and is led by catalyst Meirs Moore (15), one of the top-scoring defensemen in the state, and his partner, Phil Beaulieu (20). The offense is rather top-heavy, and carried by the top line of Jack Forbort (27), Ryan Lundgren (21), and Alex Toscano (23), but the lower lines know their roles within coach Mike Randolph’s system. Their power play and penalty kill have been excellent all season long. In their losses, they were vulnerable when they failed to score early in games, leading their defensemen to over-commit in search of some production.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

East.

Where to I pick up my ticket for the Cakeaters of the North reception? :mrgreen:
Buy ya a soda after the game!
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Duluth Ea$t 5-2

That's just for you, Lee.

8)
The Puck
LGW
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

East against a young inexperienced sophomore goaltender playing his first big game at state? Ill take East 5-0. 8)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Ogie wrote:Where to I pick up my ticket for the Cakeaters of the North reception? :mrgreen:
Our butlers will be delivering them over the coming days. Invite only.

Either that, or it'll be happening at a convenient bar in between sessions... :lol:
allstatebenders

Are morning sessions just as packed as nigh sessions?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

allstatebenders wrote:Are morning sessions just as packed as nigh sessions?
Not usually. Many still attend work then go to the evening session.

8)
The Puck
LGW
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

PuckU126 wrote:
Right. It's still a pretty good crowd, but not quite as packed. Plus the teams playing in it matter...with two northern teams in the first game and Lakeville North in the second, there should be some good seats available.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

About how many you think at the east/moorhead, lakeville/edina game ? 15,000?
allstatebenders

Any news on Hogan Davidson and if he will be able to play?
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

karl(east) wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
Right. It's still a pretty good crowd, but not quite as packed. Plus the teams playing in it matter...with two northern teams in the first game and Lakeville North in the second, there should be some good seats available.
Thur sessions used to be the big draw until they started seeding teams so now it's Fri evening. As Karl stated having two northern teams for game #1 will mean an extra drink or two at the local establishments before the city folks wander into the Xcel.

I used to love going with my dad in the 70's and 80's as he knew all the old timers from up north from the 3 tournaments he played in in the 50's and many of them only came on Thur.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

GPGT wrote:About how many you think at the east/moorhead, lakeville/edina game ? 15,000?
Looking at the old attendance numbers (which are in the back of the program), it's never been under 16,000 for the Thursday afternoon session since the Tourney moved to the X. Of course, that's number of tickets sold, not seats filled...many season ticket holders might not come until the night game. Hard to say how well the Cities fans will turn out for that all-northern first game, though; it's been a long time since we had one of these first round match-ups.

Also, to answer the Hogan Davidson question, I'm pretty sure he's a "no" for the Tourney.
4thlineproblems

Post by 4thlineproblems »

It seems like Moorhead always plays well at state no matter what type of season their having. I watched DE play both Lakeville teams during the season and really wasnt too impressed by them but maybe i just caught them on bad days. I actually think that this will be a pretty close game but I have to go with DE 3-2
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

East is pretty solid and they have some good momentum going. No way Moorhead can get it done here....I say East by three goals.
allstatebenders

grandindian wrote:East is pretty solid and they have some good momentum going. No way Moorhead can get it done here....I say East by three goals.
Agreed.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

Mike Randolph needs to have his team better prepared then they were last year against Lakeville South. Sometimes it can be a curse to have beaten a team handily in the regular season.
gitter

Post by gitter »

East wins 5-2
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Hounds 5-2
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

For the Spuds to win this thing, they probably need to turn it into a track meet and hope for the best. Otherwise, I don't think this is a very good match-up for a team that is young and inexperienced in back, and has relatively poor special teams as well. If East plays their game, this bus is headed for the semis.

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

karl(east) wrote:For the Spuds to win this thing, they probably need to turn it into a track meet and hope for the best. Otherwise, I don't think this is a very good match-up for a team that is young and inexperienced in back, and has relatively poor special teams as well. If East plays their game, this bus is headed for the semis.

Careful, you're dating yourself - that's a VERY old bus ! (1950's ?)

Don't think it would make it as far as the semis.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

SPUDNUT wrote:
karl(east) wrote:For the Spuds to win this thing, they probably need to turn it into a track meet and hope for the best. Otherwise, I don't think this is a very good match-up for a team that is young and inexperienced in back, and has relatively poor special teams as well. If East plays their game, this bus is headed for the semis.

Careful, you're dating yourself - that's a VERY old bus ! (1950's ?)

Don't think it would make it as far as the semis.
I figured the vintage model was appropriate for the all-northern game. Thought it might bring back some happy memories of 1995 for Coach Cullen. :wink:

If East and Edina both win, we'll break out the luxury model for Friday night. (To the extent that any bus on a line most famous for having its riders eat one another can be luxurious...)
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

East 4 to 1
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The back tire looks a little low.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

East 5-2
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

Tater's 4 to 2 with an ON at the end.