funny

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

forcerocks

funny

Post by forcerocks »

A friend of mine said in Canada when kids goto UMD or UND etc that people are very happy for them. These are normally the later bloomer kids that needed a few more years in AAA Midget or Tier 2 Junior.

Not sure why in the USA and in Minnesota we feel that everyone has to do the same thing and the only way to play in the NHL is High School Hockey then USHL then NCAA then AHL and then maybe NHL. Why coaches and AD's get so upset when a kid chooses a different route.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

I think it is because Canada is looked at as the ultimate hockey breeding ground, and they are compared to Minnesota/USA. Just look at how many canadiens are playing in the NHL compared to USA born players. So because of this Minnesota/USA is always trying to measure up to them and when we lose a player to a Canadien league its just another slap in the face. On the Canadien side of things they know that they are the ultimate hockey breeding ground and are not intimidated by Minnesota/USA Hockey in general and so instead they support the few players going south of the border. In other words, where we here in Minnesota/USA see Canada as competition, they do not see us as such. Thats my opinion anyway.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

The new USA Hockey rules barring 15 year olds from Junior Hockey (even on an AP basis) may chase a few more to Canadian Juniors after their high school season ends, since it will be the only Junior Hockey option remaining for them
The Exiled One

Re: funny

Post by The Exiled One »

forcerocks wrote:Not sure why in the USA and in Minnesota we feel that everyone has to do the same thing and the only way to play in the NHL is High School Hockey then USHL then NCAA then AHL and then maybe NHL.
It's not the only way to play in the NHL. It's just the BEST way to ensure you have an education to fall back on in the high probability that you don't make the NHL. Graduation rates clearly prove this statistic. Please don't attempt to provide anecdotal evidence to disprove this verifiable fact.
forcerocks wrote:Why coaches and AD's get so upset when a kid chooses a different route.
I can't speak for all coaches, but I'd be pretty ticked off if somebody bailed on my team or a commitment to my team if I was a coach. If they were not committed to me, I really couldn't care less.

Personally, I REALLY don't care if a kid decides to play CHL hockey as long as he hasn't left a team midseason or decommitted from a future team. I think that he probably has MOST of the facts, knows the trade-offs, and maybe has a nice paycheck to boot. The thing that bothers me most is when the CHL tries to pretend it's not just a poorly paying pro league. If they're honest about that, I can be honest about the aggregate number of prospects, the development, and the quality of play the CHL produces.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

In my opinion it is because our kids grow up in communities and our communities feel vested in these young kids. The tradition is for kids to go through the youth program, and then play high school hockey for the local team. When a kid leaves, we feel jilted that we invested a lot of time watching, coaching, ride sharing, etc. with that kid. Part of us is gone.

In Canada, a kid is expected to move away and play somewhere. That's the way it is.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

1) Canada players who opt for college hockey tend to not be the cream, so there is less heartache. How many canadian universities send players to the NHL? A player who goes to UMD/UND might be perceived by the public as below grade or too soft for the CHL. Also, there was lots of screaming when Jonathan Toews bucked the CHL for college.
2) Going to college doesn't limit your options. Kids have left college to play juniors, major juniors doesn't reciprocate.
defense

Post by defense »

I was always under the asumption that your chances getting to the nhl were much higher if u opted to play Canada juniors rather than NCAA hockey. I grew up here in MN and that's what was the opinion.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

spin-o-rama wrote:1) Canada players who opt for college hockey tend to not be the cream, so there is less heartache. How many canadian universities send players to the NHL? A player who goes to UMD/UND might be perceived by the public as below grade or too soft for the CHL. Also, there was lots of screaming when Jonathan Toews bucked the CHL for college.
2) Going to college doesn't limit your options. Kids have left college to play juniors, major juniors doesn't reciprocate.
Have you forgotten about the QMJHL?

Teams apart of the League are within the CHL, and they require/provide high school and college education for its players.

8)
The Puck
LGW
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

defense wrote:I was always under the asumption that your chances getting to the nhl were much higher if u opted to play Canada juniors rather than NCAA hockey. I grew up here in MN and that's what was the opinion.
That has been proven statistically false. Whether you are an NHL draft pick from HS, an NHL draft pick from the CHL, an NHL draft pick from the USHL, an NHL draft pick from Europe, or an NHL draft pick from the NCAA, your odds of making the NHL are essentially the same.

One could argue that the CHL helps you get drafted in the first place, but the USHL had a pretty decent draft in 2012, so it doesn't look like they do a much better job of creating exposure than does the USHL.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

PuckU126 wrote:
spin-o-rama wrote:1) Canada players who opt for college hockey tend to not be the cream, so there is less heartache. How many canadian universities send players to the NHL? A player who goes to UMD/UND might be perceived by the public as below grade or too soft for the CHL. Also, there was lots of screaming when Jonathan Toews bucked the CHL for college.

Teams apart of the League are within the CHL, and they require/provide high school and college education for its players.

8)
not sure what your comment about kids taking HS/college courses while playing QMJHL has to do with college hockey teams.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Mite-dad wrote:In my opinion it is because our kids grow up in communities and our communities feel vested in these young kids. The tradition is for kids to go through the youth program, and then play high school hockey for the local team. When a kid leaves, we feel jilted that we invested a lot of time watching, coaching, ride sharing, etc. with that kid. Part of us is gone.

In Canada, a kid is expected to move away and play somewhere. That's the way it is.
This is exactly how I feel. I understand that leaving high school early may provide a better opportunity to develop as a player but what kind of message does that send to the younger kids coming up that that have watched and admired their hero for years and then he just leaves? The bonds and experiences playing high school are something soon not forgotten and definitely not forgotten by the community. I think in smaller towns where there is a lot of pride and tradition surrounding the high school team that kids would be less inclined to leave the team, at least thats what I'd like to believe.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

spin-o-rama wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)
not sure what your comment about kids taking HS/college courses while playing QMJHL has to do with college hockey teams.
Meh, I can't get any more transparent.

8)
The Puck
LGW