Top Sophomores

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Whos the best sophomore

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am

Dylan Malmquist
14%
Shane Gersich
49%
Rem Pitlick
5%
Ben Newhouse
11%
Thomas Novak
22%

Total votes: 37

goldtwig1

Top Sophomores

Post by goldtwig1 »

Some very good sophomores out there
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Where's Waldo.....I mean Wahlin. :wink:
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

The Conversation forBest sophomore defenseman better include Toby Sengvongxay. Top five in scoring for all sophomores in class A, on the blue line. Makes alot of things happen for his team all over the ice. Speed kills.
BP

Question

Post by BP »

Who is Rem playing for?
fourthlinegrinder

Wahlin and Gersich

Post by fourthlinegrinder »

Wahlin and Gersich are the best I have seen, The Jungels kid is Solid for BSM
Farmtownhockeydad123

Post by Farmtownhockeydad123 »

Lucas Gillette from rosemount is one of the best I have seen.
green4

Post by green4 »

i would go gersich #1 but i think the next best has to be malmquist, maybe i am bias being from edina but the hornet offense has not been putting up many goals or as many opportunities since he has been hurt
Bluewhitefan

Re: Wahlin and Gersich

Post by Bluewhitefan »

fourthlinegrinder wrote:The Jungels kid is Solid for BSM
Decent player - but not in this conversation.
HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 »

green4 wrote:i would go gersich #1 but i think the next best has to be malmquist, maybe i am bias being from edina but the hornet offense has not been putting up many goals or as many opportunities since he has been hurt
I think he's good but he needs to prove how good HE is without Hurley
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I think that a few others can be included in this conversation...IMO. Like in a "top 10" list

John Peterson - Holy Family
Brock Boeser - Burnsville
Matthew Freytag - Wayzata
Napalm187

Post by Napalm187 »

To say that Malmquist needs to prove himself w/o Hurley is utterly ridiculous. All throughout youth hockey, he was the best player in the state as a second year A player. He almost single-handedly won the Pee Wee A state title with two shorthanded goals in third to win it for Edina. HE was their catalyst for all their youth state titles. Not the zip code opportunistic Hurley. Malmquist was the leading scorer at the USA national 15 festival in NY. Didn't have Hurley for that. When Hurley was a freshman at AHA, despite playing an easier schedule and having his Sr. brother as his linemate, didn't have nearly the impact, point production or wow factor as Malmquist did last year as a Frosh. The only thing that Hurley has over Malmquist (which will be why he'll be drafted higher) is that he has a bigger frame. That's it. In terms of hockey IQ...they are both off the charts. Skating...stickhandling...both very skilled. So to say Malmquist is living off of Hurley is coming from someone that doesn't know hockey very well. Great players get better playing with other great players.

As for Sophs...I'd go.

Gersich
Malmquist
Pitlick
Wahlin
Freytag
Novak
Boeser
Jungwirth
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I thought Versich would have been mentioned...?

Heid at D
OneMoreYear

Re: Top Sophomores

Post by OneMoreYear »

goldtwig1 wrote:Some very good sophomores out there
Since thread did not limit to forwards, how 'bout some love for a pretty solid crop of sophmore tenders getting lots of time and, going off Hub stats, with success? C'mon all you forward parents, your little studs have to have to score on someone - who's the stingiest sophmore???

Ahrens - Wayzata
Kielly - EP
Lindgren - Eagan
Driscoll - Eastview
Kuemichael - Hopkins
Dittmer - Moorhead
St. John - Coon Rapids
larsengeno27

Post by larsengeno27 »

How about Keegan Iversen?
He would physically crush all of the other candidates
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

larsengeno27 wrote:How about Keegan Iversen?
He would physically crush all of the other candidates
Struggling stats wise in the WHL. Bittner is doing much better on the same team.
snowpuck

Post by snowpuck »

It looks like Iverson is in Ann Arbor and has played in 6 games on the U17 Team..
http://www.usantdp.com/roster/show/6661 ... ason=92781
coach95

Post by coach95 »

I heard Iverson was hurt, upper body injury and only play half the games. Was off to a good start before the hit. He would be up there with the others but hes not in MN any more.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Napalm187 wrote:To say that Malmquist needs to prove himself w/o Hurley is utterly ridiculous. All throughout youth hockey, he was the best player in the state as a second year A player. He almost single-handedly won the Pee Wee A state title with two shorthanded goals in third to win it for Edina. HE was their catalyst for all their youth state titles. Not the zip code opportunistic Hurley. Malmquist was the leading scorer at the USA national 15 festival in NY. Didn't have Hurley for that. When Hurley was a freshman at AHA, despite playing an easier schedule and having his Sr. brother as his linemate, didn't have nearly the impact, point production or wow factor as Malmquist did last year as a Frosh. The only thing that Hurley has over Malmquist (which will be why he'll be drafted higher) is that he has a bigger frame. That's it. In terms of hockey IQ...they are both off the charts. Skating...stickhandling...both very skilled. So to say Malmquist is living off of Hurley is coming from someone that doesn't know hockey very well. Great players get better playing with other great players.

As for Sophs...I'd go.

Gersich
Malmquist
Pitlick
Wahlin
Freytag
Novak
Boeser
Jungwirth
While I support the spirit of your argument, your facts are a bit off. Malmqusit played on only one state title - 2nd Year of PWA, and while he did score two shorthanded goals in the game, three others scored goals as well, and the goaltender came up big at the end. At Bantam A, they were hammered by SLP in the Region, and when the Bantam As won last year, he was busy playing for the HS. Your list is solid.
green4

Post by green4 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Napalm187 wrote:To say that Malmquist needs to prove himself w/o Hurley is utterly ridiculous. All throughout youth hockey, he was the best player in the state as a second year A player. He almost single-handedly won the Pee Wee A state title with two shorthanded goals in third to win it for Edina. HE was their catalyst for all their youth state titles. Not the zip code opportunistic Hurley. Malmquist was the leading scorer at the USA national 15 festival in NY. Didn't have Hurley for that. When Hurley was a freshman at AHA, despite playing an easier schedule and having his Sr. brother as his linemate, didn't have nearly the impact, point production or wow factor as Malmquist did last year as a Frosh. The only thing that Hurley has over Malmquist (which will be why he'll be drafted higher) is that he has a bigger frame. That's it. In terms of hockey IQ...they are both off the charts. Skating...stickhandling...both very skilled. So to say Malmquist is living off of Hurley is coming from someone that doesn't know hockey very well. Great players get better playing with other great players.

As for Sophs...I'd go.

Gersich
Malmquist
Pitlick
Wahlin
Freytag
Novak
Boeser
Jungwirth
While I support the spirit of your argument, your facts are a bit off. Malmqusit played on only one state title - 2nd Year of PWA, and while he did score two shorthanded goals in the game, three others scored goals as well, and the goaltender came up big at the end. At Bantam A, they were hammered by SLP in the Region, and when the Bantam As won last year, he was busy playing for the HS. Your list is solid.
i think the fact that the hornets and especially the 1st line struggling shows malmquist as a key component to the team. he is giving proof that Hurley needs him which might be more important then establishing himself without Hurley

As for the keegen Iverson discussion i found this
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/
I know a lot can change in over a year but projected to go 10th... he must be showing some amazing talent out there.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

green4 wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:

As for Sophs...I'd go.

Gersich
Malmquist
Pitlick
Wahlin
Freytag
Novak
Boeser
Jungwirth
i think the fact that the hornets and especially the 1st line struggling shows malmquist as a key component to the team. he is giving proof that Hurley needs him which might be more important then establishing himself without Hurley

As for the keegen Iverson discussion i found this
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/
I know a lot can change in over a year but projected to go 10th... he must be showing some amazing talent out there.
Keegan must be bringing a lot of something to the table other than points, but he's also been playing with the possible #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

Bittner must be turning some heads getting eleven points in the last six games.
Iceburg

Post by Iceburg »

If Pitlick, off of Shattuck's U-16 team, is in this discussion, then Ryan Norman, from their Prep team, should be mentioned also.
Barry_Melrose

Post by Barry_Melrose »

Gotta go with Gersich on this one, seen this kid play enough to know he is a special player.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Norman/Wahlin. John Suess of Forest Lake is putting up some points while playing on the checking line. 6'1" 180 as a soph.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

After watching Novak last night I'd put him at or near the top. Very impressed with his skill level and hockey IQ. Really an entertaining kid to watch!
observer

Post by observer »

Other than Sibley, last year? Where did Novak play youth hockey?