My 'Great Eight' Rankings based on seeing 10 games so far **

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wich team ranking do you most disagree with

#1 Benilde
No votes
#2 Edina
13%
#3 Minnetonka
7%
#4 Eden Prairie
10%
#5 (tie) Blaine
37%
#5 (tie) Hill Murray
10%
#7 Duluth East
3%
#8 Wayzata
20%

Total votes: 30

Granttenn

My 'Great Eight' Rankings based on seeing 10 games so far **

Post by Granttenn »

My 'Great Eight' Rankings based on seeing 9 games so far.

After watching 9 games in 9 days I have seen how misleading scoreboard watching can be, with respect to comparing/rating teams. I've seen Edina (3 times), Holy Family, LVS, Wayzata (2), Hill Murray (2), Jefferson, Cloquet, Blaine, Maple Grove, Roseau, Burnsville, Eagan, Como, and Somerset (WI). I've also heard about action up north and yes, of course, watched the scoreboard as well (while also checking the box scores).

The least impressive teams (besides the Como-Somerset game) were definitely Jefferson, Cloquet, and Maple Grove - with Burnsville not too far behind. So based on this input, here are my 'Great Eight' rankings...

GREAT EIGHT [12/2/12]

1) Benilde - haven't seen them yet this year but basing this on returning talent, plus transfers, that I had a chance to watch multiple times in the Elite League this fall.. TJ Moore led the Elite League and Besse scored two goals in first game before going out with broken tibia. Naas also looked sharp in EL.. Early results from regular season don't contradict my opinion here..

2) Edina - this team is loaded and works well together. I was tempted to put them at #1 because they just don't have a weakness. They have top talent at every position and two lines as good as any two in the state. Willie Benjamin looked sharp in nets also. Probably one of better D tandems in state as well. Hurley, Malmquist, Brauer and Nanne have looked especially well at F. A Benilde vs. Edina game may end the season.

3) Minnetonka - haven't seen them but, again, going by returning talent, Elite League player analysis, info from respected sources, and early results.

4) Eden Prairie - same analysis as Minnetonka.. Saw plenty of Spinner. Bergh, Hart, and Warner etc. in the Elite League this fall.

5) Tie Blaine - this team surprised me the most of all that I have seen this year. The D work the puck out of zone as well as any I have seen and they have wave after wave of small, talented, quick forwards - led by Tyler Cline. If anything, Goalie is a weakness. This team reminds me of the Eagan team from two years ago.. This is a team I wouldn't want to face in sectionals or state - and their path to state should be relatively easy based on seeing Maple Grove this year..

Hill Murray - difficult for me to be objective here since this is my team. However, knowing the talent and seeing how well the young second line (Mills, French, Greeder) has played in both games seems to legitimize my desire to see them ranked high.. The Lavalle, Brown, Funk line has not scored yet this year and really needs SSM transfer (Jr) Mitch Slattery to replace Funk. This line lost C Guentzel to early departure and it shows. They have played well and Willie Brown has shown his playmaking ability (also listed as one of top 5 'snipers' in state by coaches assoc. publication) but they just aren't in tune yet. Lavalle (5th yr. on Varsity) had 66 points last year, so it's just a matter of time before he explodes..Slattery has been playing on 3rd line so Lechner can get a good look at him on O and already has 3 goals in 2 games.. Played D at SSM out of necessity but is a natural F.. G Dugas has been solid and is one of top 5 goalies in state (Made Elite League all star team along with Chase Perry and two others.) Lechner always molds the team to be hitting on all cylinders by playoff time..

7) Duluth East - Had Wayzata here at first but am flip flopping.. lost a lot of scoring but program is deep. Their D should keep them in games. Not enough experience with them to really evaluate like other teams so I'm going with returning talent, what I've seen in the Elite League, and heard from respectable sources..

8) Wayzata - like Blaine, this team has a lot of young, small, quick forwards that are very talented and work well together. They actually looked better in their second game (lost to Edina 3-0) then they did in opening win against Maple Grove although they didn't put the puck on net nearly enough.. Against better teams, that is one constant that concerns me - they averaged 19 shots on net against Edina, Elk River and Andover, though they won 2 of 3.... We'll see how that plays out over next couple of months.. After going 1-1 in Turkey Trot they have since beaten Andover Rosemount, and Elk River, though I didn't see those games so I will not comment, other than to say that I wasn't surprised. This is a team that will be a tough matchup come playoff time. The Duluth East game this Saturday will tell me whether I should have stayed with Wayzata at #7..

-
Last edited by Granttenn on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

I'll go with;

1.). Edina
2.) BSM
3.) Minnetonka
4.) Hill Murray (tied at 4)
4.) Eagan (tied at 4)
6.) Duluth East
7.) EP
8.) Jefferson
Granttenn

Did you see the Jefferson game

Post by Granttenn »

scorekeeper wrote:I'll go with;

1.). Edina
2.) BSM
3.) Minnetonka
4.) Eagan (tied at 4)
6.) Duluth East
7.) EP
8.) Jefferson
Did you see the Jefferson game.. If you put Jefferson and Eagan ahead of Blaine & Wayzata you're not on the same planet that I am...Respectfully...G
scorekeeper

Re: Did you see the Jefferson game

Post by scorekeeper »

Granttenn wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:I'll go with;

1.). Edina
2.) BSM
3.) Minnetonka
4.) Eagan (tied at 4)
6.) Duluth East
7.) EP
8.) Jefferson
Did you see the Jefferson game.. If you put Jefferson and Eagan ahead of Blaine & Wayzata you're not on the same planet that I am...Respectfully...G
Saw both Blaine and Wayzata. Both right on the doorstep but not in my top 8. Different planet is OK. It would be crowded if we all lived on the same planet.
Tuuk2score

Post by Tuuk2score »

Edina top 2 lines as good as any in the state ???? You named four forwards who are the other players that make up the first 2 lines ?? Looks like they scored a ton of goals in the first 5 games....
Granttenn

Andy Jordall is a forward that has bounced between 1st &

Post by Granttenn »

Tuuk2score wrote:Edina top 2 lines as good as any in the state ???? You named four forwards who are the other players that make up the first 2 lines ?? Looks like they scored a ton of goals in the first 5 games....
Andy Jordall is a forward that has bounced between 1st & 2nd and has 6 goals already... I just didn't mention him because he didn't stand out the way the other 4 did.. Coach was switching first two lines up quite a bit during first two games (can't remember much from LVS game) and I haven't see them since, so not sure who sixth forward is right now. Jordahl, Hurley and Malmquist all have at least 5 goals so far.. What other team besides BSM has two lines that talented?? Did you catch Bo Brauer in the Elite League, neither did a lot of D as he was the second leading scorer.. So if they run Hurley, Malmquist and Jordahl on 1st and Brauer, Nanne and X on the second, that qualifies as the top two lines in my book..... BSM has TJ Moore, Besse, and Labosky along with Spencer Naas - so they are very close but besides that what other team has that kind of talent in top 6 F ?
Tuuk2score

Post by Tuuk2score »

Watching the game last Tuesday on Fox sports North rerun it was Malmquist Hurley Nanne Munson Jordahl Brauer. and looked like they played All four lines ! That's a DEEP TEAM ... Add solid D and two solid goalies that's not the norm for most h.s teams at this level?
green4

Re: Andy Jordall is a forward that has bounced between 1st &

Post by green4 »

Granttenn wrote:
Tuuk2score wrote:Edina top 2 lines as good as any in the state ???? You named four forwards who are the other players that make up the first 2 lines ?? Looks like they scored a ton of goals in the first 5 games....
Andy Jordall is a forward that has bounced between 1st & 2nd and has 6 goals already... I just didn't mention him because he didn't stand out the way the other 4 did.. Coach was switching first two lines up quite a bit during first two games (can't remember much from LVS game) and I haven't see them since, so not sure who sixth forward is right now. Jordahl, Hurley and Malmquist all have at least 5 goals so far.. What other team besides BSM has two lines that talented?? Did you catch Bo Brauer in the Elite League, neither did a lot of D as he was the second leading scorer.. So if they run Hurley, Malmquist and Jordahl on 1st and Brauer, Nanne and X on the second, that qualifies as the top two lines in my book..... BSM has TJ Moore, Besse, and Labosky along with Spencer Naas - so they are very close but besides that what other team has that kind of talent in top 6 F ?
you might not have noticed Jordahl then but i think people are going to soon.. had a hat-trick last game and 2 goals the one before so after a slow start i think there 2nd line is really starting to roll which is Brauer Jordahl and Munson is who you were missing, Malmquist, Hurley Nanne is 1st line
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Not sure I'd have Wayzata in the Top 10 yet and I'm not a believer in Eagan right now for the Top 5 either.
Granttenn

Did you say you saw Eagan listed in top 5?

Post by Granttenn »

Slap Shot wrote:Not sure I'd have Wayzata in the Top 10 yet and I'm not a believer in Eagan right now for the Top 5 either.
Did you say you saw Eagan listed in top 5? Not in the original post, above.
Reg7

Post by Reg7 »

I saw Blaine play and would agree with G man...