Class A Rankings 1-9-11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Would you pay an extra $1 for a ticket if OT was played out until there was a winner?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 am

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 38

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 1-9-11

Post by HShockeywatcher »

The top 4 are the clear top 4 in the state. Ordering them is difficult. I used a couple common opponent games to sort them out. A legitimate case could be made for any of 5-12 to be at #5 and the rest in any place. I have them where I think they are best fit.

1. St Thomas Academy (6-3)
Beating two quality, section/conference, and good Class A teams this week helps keep the Cadets on top. They will play a Delbarton team that it is difficult to know much about.
This week: Thurs vs Tartan, Sat vs Delbarton

2. Breck (6-3)
No, this is not the Breck team of last year that could compete with any team in the state. But it is a Breck team who has beaten two teams 8-0 (Maht) and 7-0 (SPJ) that fellow top in Class A conference rival only beat 4-3 and 5-2 respectively. The Mustangs do play some quality Class A teams this year, as well as Delbarton next week.
This week: Tues vs St Cloud Cathedral, Thurs @ Minnehaha Academy

3. Blake (9-1-2)
The reason I have the Bears above the Hawks is the comparison how they did against common opponent TRF. Blake recently gave Totino-Grace their first loss of the season. We’ll see how they match up with Minnetonka this week. Their only competition after this week is Breck.
This week: Tues @ St Paul Academy, Fri vs Minnetonka, Sat vs St Paul Saints

4. Hermantown (11-0-1)
Hermantown will definitely be tested this Tuesday at home, but I expect Friday to be a chance to demonstrate their dominance in 5A. Could Hermantown make it to state undefeated and not be ranked top 2?
This week: Tues vs Grand Rapids, Fri @ St Cloud Cathedral

5. Hibbing/Chisholm (11-3-1)
Hibbing continues to win, so it is hard to bring them any lower. Both of their games this week will bring even more common opponents for others, as well as a head to head with 7A foe Virginia.
This week: Tues @ Cloquet, Sat vs Virginia

6. Totino-Grace (9-1)
The Eagles had a busy week, beating their two-time defending section champ foe, losing to one of the top teams in the state in a close game and then shutting out a lesser quality opponent. This Saturday’s game in Duluth will tell us a lot about both teams.
This week: Thurs vs Robbinsdale Cooper, Sat @ Duluth Marshall

7. South St. Paul (7-4)
Yes, they lost twice this week, but against a top 3 team in both classes. With the 2-goal loss, they could have a common opponent claim for the #2 rank, but I am not comfortable with putting them that high yet. What the Packers need is another quality WIN, something they only have thus far against Cloquet.
This week: Thurs vs Rochester Mayo, Sat vs Henry Sibley

8. Duluth Marshall (8-6-1)
1-2 this week, with their losses against very good teams. Two home games this week against two teams who are both trying to gain respect in the Class. Should be an exciting week for the Hilltoppers.
This week: Thurs vs Proctor, Sat vs Totino-Grace

9. Rochester Lourdes (12-2)
I’m still not sold on Lourdes, but by losing to Marshall and beating Albert Lea betting than Virginia, this seems like an appropriate place for them. Not much to prove this week, where they could fall simply from others winning.
This week: Tues vs Mankato West

10. Virginia/MI-B (2-2)
Despite being 5-1 in their last 6 games, the Blue Devils fall slightly this week with their margin of victory over opponents because of common opponents. Playing well against Hermantown and losing to Mahtomedi, Virginia has shown they can play up to most but also play down to anyone.
This week: Fri vs Detroit Lakes, Sat @ Hibbing

11. Little Falls (10-1-2)
The Fliers have fallen victim to their schedule here. They have Brainerd this week and then no one the rest of the year I have ranked.
This week: Tues @ Brainerd, Thurs @ River Lakes

12. Crookston (6-6-1)
With teams above them falling and teams below them rising, the Pirates stay at 12. While it is hard to be convinced on them, they lost to Marshall in Duluth by less than Lourdes did this week. They play a schedule this week not many teams would hope for. I suspect at least two losses this week, especially with two away games, but it would be great to see 2 or 3 wins out of them.
This week: Tues @ Bemidji, Thurs @ TRF, Sat vs Warroad

13. East Grand Forks (7-5)
Because of their location geographically, the Green Wave play a schedule with few common opponents with others. Hermantown and St Louis Park are the only non-section 8 opponents they play all season.
This week: Thurs @ Bemidji, Sat @ Grand Forks Central

14. Mahtomedi (4-9-1)
Losing to my #1 and #6 isn’t a good reason for falling out of the top 15 in my opinion. The Zephyrs are the only team in state with a very real chance at going into sections with a top 4 seed and a losing record. Just a section opponent game this week for them.
This week: Sat @ Spring Lake Park

15. Warroad (9-4)
Beating Cathedral and TRF is all Warroad has proven positively this season. Losing to Hibbing and EGF has put much question about them out there. Two wins this week would not only put a A-B-C situation in play, along with a win against a team Crookston lost to, and would put them back in control in the section.
This week: Thurs vs Roseau, Sat @ Crookston

16. Thief River Falls (7-5-1)
Depending on what others do this week, two section wins this week could put the Prowlers in control of the section.
This week: Tues vs Park Rapids, Thurs vs Crookston

17. Chisago Lakes Area (9-2)
What does getting shut out by Benilde and losing to Hibbing prove? That you’re not a top 10 team in Class A. Little else. Playing Benilde once more and Totino twice, the Wildcats could end the season with 5 losses and having shown the state little about who they are.

18. St. Cloud Cathedral (7-4)
Beating Delano right before the Crusaders’ toughest week of the season gets them back in the rankings. Can they beat their of the teams they play this week? Time will tell.
This week: Tues @ Breck, Fri vs Hermantown

19. Delano (8-3-1)
The only place Delano can go from here is down. Barely hanging on with their
This week: Thurs vs Orono, Sat @ Mound-Westonka

20. New Ulm (9-1-2)
Their wins this season have proven little, aside from being able to win. In a couple weeks they will play Lourdes. Hanging on ahead of Duluth Central for the time being.
This week: Mon @ Windom Area

Watch List

Duluth Central (7-7)
This week: Tues vs Forest Lake, Sat @ Cloquet

Sartell-St. Stephen (7-5)
This week: Tues @ River Lakes, Thurs vs St Cloud Apollo

Lake of the Woods (1-2-1)
This week: Tues vs Bagley, Fri @ Proctor, Sat @ Greenway

Fergus Falls (6-2-2)
This week: Thurs @ Alexandria

Providence Academy (9-3)
This week: Sat @ St Paul Como Park

Proctor (8-4)
This week: Thurs @ Duluth Marshall, Fri vs Lake of the Woods

Albert Lea (8-5)
This week: Tues @ Rochester Century, Thurs @ Mankato West, Sat vs Red Wing

Section Seedings

1A
Rochecter Lourdes (12-2)
I will admit I was wrong last week. The team that should be #2 in the section will not be competitive with Lourdes.

2A
Breck (6-3)
Blake (10-1-1)
Providence Academy (10-3)
Delano (8-3-1)
After much has been played, while I think the quarter’s will be more competitive in 2A than any other section, I suspect these 4 teams will be in the semi’s. I think Delano will ultimately lose out being their only head to head game was their 2nd game of the season. Breck is shutting out or allowing 1 goal in their conference games. Providence Academy has done this similarly with their first two conference games. Blake is also doing well. The last 5 head to head games with these three could give the section top seed to anyone.

3A
New Ulm (9-1-2)
Hutchinson (4-6)
Litchfield (7-2-1)
I think Litchfield is on the outside looking in. I believe they will be the 3rd seed. Either they will lose a close one to Hutch, or win a close one and get beat by New Ulm. At the end of the day, I believe the New Ulm Eagles will be representing 3A at state.

4A
St Thomas (6-3)
Totino-Grace (9-1)
South St Paul (7-4)
Mahtomedi (4-9-1)
Chisago Lakes Area (9-2)
St Thomas is the clear favorite in 4A. After them there are a slew of problems in short: Chisago only plays Totino and Totino and SSP don’t play. So SSP beats Maht and loses to STA. Are they #2? In that same scenario, Totino beats everyone while losing to STA. Are they #2? One of them needs a loss to someone bad to make things easy. Chisago could also confuse things with 1 or 2 wins over Totino. Would they be #2 or #3 at that point? How to compare them to Maht/SSP, would Totino fall to #5? Etc, etc. In any matter, close section.

5A
Hermantown (11-0-1)
Proctor (8-4)
Rogers (4-6-1)
St Cloud Cathedral (7-4)
I would like to only list 1 team here, as I suspect Hermantown will end the season with less than 2 losses, and dominate these teams, getting to state allowing less than 3 goals in sections. But they have yet to play Cathedral or Proctor. We’ll see what happens when they do.

6A
Little Falls (10-1-2)
Fergus Falls (6-2-2)
Sartell-St Stephen (7-5)
Sartell lost is OT to Fergus, lost to Little by 2 in Little Falls, and Little tied Fergus in Little Falls. These 3 have shown themselves to be the top with the rest looking in, also with any of the three having the chance to be #1 by beating the other two the next meetings. Both of the second meetings will be away for Little Falls.

7A
Virginia (11-4)
Duluth Marshall (8-6-1)
Hibbing (11-3-1)
Duluth Central (7-7)
The only head to head match ups with these teams are between Hibbing and Marshall (tie) and between Central and Virginia (Vir. W), which makes a lot unknown as there will be head to head games with them all by the end of the season, actually 2 between Hibbing and Virginia. There are other teams Eveleth-Gilbert and International Falls on the outside looking in, who have an outside shot of making the semi’s.

8A
Crookston (6-6-1)
East Grand Forks (7-5)
Warroad (9-4)
Thief River Falls (7-5-1)
Lake of the Woods (6-5-1)

This and 6A are probably the most able to be exactly ranked sections as most of the teams play multiple games against all of the others, and they do it late. Crookston is the favorite at the moment, but from the teams playing each other late, and Crookston playing Warroad and TRF this week, a lot may be different in next week’s rankings.

State Seeding if Section Top Seeds Won Their Section Today
#1 St Thomas
#2 Breck
#3 Hermantown
#4 Virginia
[5] Little Falls
[6] Crookston
[7] New Ulm
[8] Rochester Lourdes
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

#1 St Thomas
#2 Breck
#3 Hermantown
#4 Virginia
[5] Little Falls
[6] Crookston
[7] New Ulm
[8] Rochester Lourdes
saying that 3A New Ulm will be seeded higher than Lourdes, interesting statement as 3A is usually the inferior section.. i suppose the head to head match up with Eau Claire calls for it?
HShockeywatcher

scarlethockey33 wrote:
#1 St Thomas
#2 Breck
#3 Hermantown
#4 Virginia
[5] Little Falls
[6] Crookston
[7] New Ulm
[8] Rochester Lourdes
saying that 3A New Ulm will be seeded higher than Lourdes, interesting statement as 3A is usually the inferior section.. i suppose the head to head match up with Eau Claire calls for it?
Yes. They play this season, so we will see what would really happen. Also, with Hibbing making it out of 7A, I believe Little Falls should be #4.

But only 4 are seeded.
hockeyoldtimer

Class A rankings

Post by hockeyoldtimer »

I too think Rochester Lourdes should be ranked above New Ulm. Time will tell.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Only four teams are seeded, so whether he has New Ulm over Lourdes (which doesn't make sense) is irrelevant.

Don't take this personal, but you obviously haven't seen Crookston play. They are not a top 20 team, despite a win over EGF. One OT win over a hated rival isn't enough to catapult them to #12. They only beat a winless(?) St. Louis Park team by one.

Regardless, Class A has been a B to rank this year and it's probably only going to get worse.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
hockey84

Post by hockey84 »

I'm just wondering how come you have Sartell as a team to watch, when a team like Orono, with the same record (7-5) who beat Sartell 6-3 is not? Of Orono's 5 losses, 4 of them were played by the backup goalie (5.0 GAA) (the starter was suspended to start the year, his GAA is 1.84). For whatever reason they played their backup against Hopkins on Thurs. and he let 5 goals in in the first half of the game, they replaced him with the starter who let in none and the team lost 5-3. The only game the starter lost was 3-2 in OT against Mounds View in the Schwan's Cup. I also don't get why they're never mentioned in section 2A. I have seen Orono and Providence play and Orono looked much more skilled. Their goalie situation just hurts their record.
defense

Post by defense »

Section 6

1 Little Falls Time will tell, but at this point they are making a move. Brainerd game will be interesting.
2 Sartell (Sartell beat Fergus Falls in OT. Close game, Fergus controlled 2/3 of game, but Sartell stole it going away.) Beat Alexandria wich they should've, but it was good for them to get the win.
3 Fergus Falls Only played Wadena this week, who they beat. Willmar game was postponed. Alex up on Thursday should show what the Otters are about.

Let's not forget that Alexandria is the defending champs, are still dangerous and to win this section you'll definitely need be better than them. That 4 seed is looking like a race between Alexandria and Detroit Lakes. If Alexandria even has a competitive go at it here in the stretch, they'll secure at least the 4 seed. All DL can do is win, and the rest is up to Alex. DL got squarely beat by Willmar....maybe either is a dark horse. Any number of the other teams in this section may pick up a 4 seed as well.
HShockeywatcher

MNHockey75 wrote:Only four teams are seeded, so whether he has New Ulm over Lourdes (which doesn't make sense) is irrelevant.
Lourdes is ranked 9th, New Ulm is ranked 20th. That being said, when you ranked a smaller sample size of a population, like a section or a conference, head to head match ups and common opponents weigh in much greater. New Ulm and Lourdes have 3 common opponents. New Ulm beat all 3, Lourdes is 2-1 against them. Without a head to head match up, when they are put in a smaller sample, New Ulm is the victor.
MNHockey75 wrote:Don't take this personal, but you obviously haven't seen Crookston play. They are not a top 20 team, despite a win over EGF. One OT win over a hated rival isn't enough to catapult them to #12. They only beat a winless(?) St. Louis Park team by one.
Not taking it personally. I'm a numbers guy, and one who has never played hockey at that. I love the game and if I could watch more games I would. I have seen all of one game (well, actually 2/3) in person and I believe 3 or 4 of the Schwan's Cup games online.

I rank the teams based on the games they play and the results of those games as objectively as I can. 8A, as 6A, is one of the few sections where most of the teams play each other twice...but they happen to do that at the end of the season. Crookston will play TRF twice, Warroad twice, EGF again, etc, etc. Being that it happens mostly at the end of the season, as it sits, Crookston beat EGF, who shut out Warroad, who beat TRF. The only thing we have right now to go off. A week from now, that won't be true though.

Also, they lost to Marshall by 2 in Duluth, tied (with H-town) for scoring the most goals on Superior than any MN team in beating them, and also has tied (with Hopkins) for scoring the most goals on Hermantown. Doesn't seem like a push over to me.
hockey84 wrote:I'm just wondering how come you have Sartell as a team to watch, when a team like Orono, with the same record (7-5) who beat Sartell 6-3 is not? Of Orono's 5 losses, 4 of them were played by the backup goalie (5.0 GAA) (the starter was suspended to start the year, his GAA is 1.84). For whatever reason they played their backup against Hopkins on Thurs. and he let 5 goals in in the first half of the game, they replaced him with the starter who let in none and the team lost 5-3. The only game the starter lost was 3-2 in OT against Mounds View in the Schwan's Cup. I also don't get why they're never mentioned in section 2A. I have seen Orono and Providence play and Orono looked much more skilled. Their goalie situation just hurts their record.
As stated, I don't rank on personnel; I rank on results of games. Last year Sauk Rapids was in a similar situation. They let their back up start starting (I believe) and they started winning.

All that being said, it was no hard feelings. I will include them next week if they are still above .500 after this week.
MNHockey75 wrote: Regardless, Class A has been a B to rank this year and it's probably only going to get worse.
Yes, it is. Thanks for the understanding :oops:
deacon

Post by deacon »

HSHockeywatcher,

The STA website says that the Delbarton game is an away game but I thought they were playing here in Minnesota. Do you know where its at?
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

deacon wrote:HSHockeywatcher,

The STA website says that the Delbarton game is an away game but I thought they were playing here in Minnesota. Do you know where its at?
It is in Minnesota. They play the top two rated teams in Class A next week. Three years ago Delbarton pretty much spanked the Mustangs when they played against a Mustang team that was primarily Sohpomores. Delbarton is a very good program and it will be surprising if either Breck or STA can pull off a win.
HShockeywatcher

Goldy23 wrote:

It is in Minnesota. They play the top two rated teams in Class A next week. Three years ago Delbarton pretty much spanked the Mustangs when they played against a Mustang team that was primarily Sohpomores. Delbarton is a very good program and it will be surprising if either Breck or STA can pull off a win.
The Delbarton website lists it as at St Thomas and the Hub does as well. I doubt they'd travel all the way here to play at a neutral location. Anyone know for sure?

Too bad Breck had to play them the year before and year after they were really good. Also, noticed that Shattuck is not playing Breck this year. Anyone know, is that Breck's decision or Shattuck's?

I also think it's kind of odd a school like Delbarton would travel like this and only play these two schools. I bet there's a slew of other schools that would love to play them.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

still think totino is ranked too high. theyve played a really soft schedule up the blake game. mahtomedi isnt what they've been the past 2 years so that game shouldnt get as much emphasis as yer putting on it.
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Goldy23 wrote:

The Delbarton website lists it as at St Thomas and the Hub does as well. I doubt they'd travel all the way here to play at a neutral location. Anyone know for sure?

Too bad Breck had to play them the year before and year after they were really good. Also, noticed that Shattuck is not playing Breck this year. Anyone know, is that Breck's decision or Shattuck's?

I also think it's kind of odd a school like Delbarton would travel like this and only play these two schools. I bet there's a slew of other schools that would love to play them.
My guess is the Delbarton game is replacing the Shattuck game. As for Delbarton, the Breck Headmaster came from there in 2007 (the last time they came here in Jan of 08). I'm sure he was instrumental in arrainging it again this year. It would be nice if they played Hill or Holy Angels as well. It should be a good test to see how Breck and STA fair against the same opponent 2 days apart though.
HShockeywatcher

bardown27 wrote:still think totino is ranked too high. theyve played a really soft schedule up the blake game. mahtomedi isnt what they've been the past 2 years so that game shouldnt get as much emphasis as yer putting on it.
I personally disagree with you (obviously). Maht has played the #2, #3, #5, #6, #8 and #10 (who they beat) Class A teams as well as two top 10 Class AA teams. After looking at this more closely, I'd say I have Mahtomedi too low.

Additionally, with what I just said about Mahtomedi, I would add that St Thomas beat Maht 6-1 while Totino beat them 6-2; I think the win, coupled with the 3-5 Blake loss just shows more of how quality a team Totino is.
truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan »

You from Hermantown man?
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

Goldy23 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Goldy23 wrote: It is in Minnesota. They play the top two rated teams in Class A next week. Three years ago Delbarton pretty much spanked the Mustangs when they played against a Mustang team that was primarily Sohpomores. Delbarton is a very good program and it will be surprising if either Breck or STA can pull off a win.

My guess is the Delbarton game is replacing the Shattuck game. As for Delbarton, the Breck Headmaster came from there in 2007 (the last time they came here in Jan of 08). I'm sure he was instrumental in arrainging it again this year. It would be nice if they played Hill or Holy Angels as well. It should be a good test to see how Breck and STA fair against the same opponent 2 days apart though.
Fri. 1-14-11
Delbarton @ SSM 3:00

Sat. 1-15-11
Delbarton @ STA 7:30
Culver @ SSM 7:00

Sun. 1-16-11
Culver @ SSM 11:00

Mon. 1-17-11
Delbarton @ Breck 12:00

Tues. 1-18-11
STA @ SSM 7:00

SSM also plays BSM & AHA this year
HShockeywatcher

Curious on thoughts from others out there about the top 4, what order they should be in, and why. Also, what you think would have to happen for the order to change. Breck plays both Blake and St Thomas, so that will sort itself out. But my biggest question is about Hermantown.

Say St Thomas ends 18-7, losing to Hill twice, Tonka twice, East, Shattuck and Delbarton, and Hermantown ends 22-2-1 losing to Eden Prairie and Grand Rapids. Who gets the #1 seed at state and why?

Also curious on the 5-25 range, who is better than who, etc. Right now there are some teams that aren't that difficult to rank, or at least justify, from common opponent scores. But in the next week or two there will be plenty more and probably more A beat B beat C beat A scenarios that I will have to weigh. Is Marshall #5 with their difficult schedule? Is it Hibbing with their quality record? Is it Totino with all of their quality games the second half? Personally, I could find a way to make a claim for any of the teams 5-11 to be in that #5 spot.

Also curious why people wouldn't want to see games played out. I despise ties. I'm guessing the only reason they don't play them out is money, ice time, and people time. Paying a little extra would easily make up for that for the few times it happened. (Yeah, I know it would almost guarantee a long OT since most would then turn to a defensive minded game)
MNhockeyfan12101

Post by MNhockeyfan12101 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
bardown27 wrote:still think totino is ranked too high. theyve played a really soft schedule up the blake game. mahtomedi isnt what they've been the past 2 years so that game shouldnt get as much emphasis as yer putting on it.
I personally disagree with you (obviously). Maht has played the #2, #3, #5, #6, #8 and #10 (who they beat) Class A teams as well as two top 10 Class AA teams. After looking at this more closely, I'd say I have Mahtomedi too low.

Additionally, with what I just said about Mahtomedi, I would add that St Thomas beat Maht 6-1 while Totino beat them 6-2; I think the win, coupled with the 3-5 Blake loss just shows more of how quality a team Totino is.

I disagree, Mahtomedi killed Virginia 5-1/ they out played Blake and lost to them in ot. They can play with the top teams in the state. They just to start clicking. I see by the time of sections they will be playing some very good hockey
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

MNhockeyfan12101 wrote: I disagree, Mahtomedi killed Virginia 5-1/ they out played Blake and lost to them in ot. They can play with the top teams in the state. They just to start clicking. I see by the time of sections they will be playing some very good hockey
They did not "kill" Virginia by any means. The actual score was 5-2, and they were outshot by a pretty good margin, but their goalie kept them in it. Shots on goal in the first period alone were 21-6 in favor of Virginia, but they managed to squeak out of that period in a 2-2 tie. They were very fortunate to get a win in that game, and it certainly was not a dominating performance by any stretch of the imagination.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Curious on thoughts from others out there about the top 4, what order they should be in, and why. Also, what you think would have to happen for the order to change. Breck plays both Blake and St Thomas, so that will sort itself out. But my biggest question is about Hermantown.
Hermantown is too low they are better than the 'citiot' teams you have listed ahead of them. :P :P
Just kidding STA is number 1 until they are knocked out of sections AGAIN. :shock:
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Say St Thomas ends 18-7, losing to Hill twice, Tonka twice, East, Shattuck and Delbarton, and Hermantown ends 22-2-1 losing to Eden Prairie and Grand Rapids. Who gets the #1 seed at state and why?
Seeding wise-based on your scenario, I would say STA would be the #1. The only common opponent is DM, with both teams winning. I don't think the loses to the "AA teams" or prep schools will be a factor for either team come seeding. Another way to look at it is drop the AA/prep results from both teams’ record and what do you have? Hermantown’s tie with Thief River would be the blemish that would drop them down to a #2 seed. Then again, the Blake/Breck winner could end up being the #2 seed, as they both beat Thief River.

Lots of games left that will sort out the seeding possibilities.
Last edited by High Flyer on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Curious on thoughts from others out there about the top 4, what order they should be in, and why. Also, what you think would have to happen for the order to change. Breck plays both Blake and St Thomas, so that will sort itself out. But my biggest question is about Hermantown.
1-STA (beat White Bear)
2-Breck (lost to White Bear)
3-Blake (beat Thief River Falls)
4-Totino (beat Thief River, lost to Blake)

5-Hermantown (tied Thief River)
6-South St. Paul
7-Duluth Marshall (tied Hibbing, beat Maht.)
8-Virgina (lost to Maht.)
9-Hibbing (tied Duluth Marshall, lost to Little Falls)
10-Rochester (lost to Duluth Marshall)
Last edited by High Flyer on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

Class A is simply weak this year.

Most years the top 10 are competitive with the top AA teams and the top 4 could play well in THE MARCH TOURNAMENT. Not this year.
MNhockeyfan12101

Post by MNhockeyfan12101 »

PuckRanger wrote:
MNhockeyfan12101 wrote: I disagree, Mahtomedi killed Virginia 5-1/ they out played Blake and lost to them in ot. They can play with the top teams in the state. They just to start clicking. I see by the time of sections they will be playing some very good hockey
They did not "kill" Virginia by any means. The actual score was 5-2, and they were outshot by a pretty good margin, but their goalie kept them in it. Shots on goal in the first period alone were 21-6 in favor of Virginia, but they managed to squeak out of that period in a 2-2 tie. They were very fortunate to get a win in that game, and it certainly was not a dominating performance by any stretch of the imagination.

You can also see that the penalty's were 12-2 I believe in favor for Virginia? I would say for a team that played short all game they played well
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

MNhockeyfan12101 wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:
You can also see that the penalty's were 12-2 I believe in favor for Virginia? I would say for a team that played short all game they played well
Why all the focus on the Mahtomedi vs. Virginia game. Is this Mahtomedi's only meaningfull win?

Well unless Mahtomedi figures out how to get past teams such as SSP and STA in Sections, they will not have to worry about playing Virginia again.

Mahotmedi must quickly find a true 1st line that can compete like last year's #1 line. In the net, Wohlers simply kept Mahtomedi in games last year that they probably had no business winning. Marshall will have to become the best goalie in state if this team plans on going very far in March. Lot's of pressure for one person, but that is just the way it has to be for a relatively offensively weak team.

If they do not rise above 500 - then they do not belong on any top 10 or 20 list.