Nick Leddy

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Nick Leddy

Post by MNHockeyFan »

It's now official:

Leddy agrees to deal with Blackhawks

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... anchO7DiUr

I was somewhat optimistic that the Gophers would be better this year, but him leaving the program after just one year really hurts.

I also believe that the Wild will soon come to regret trading his rights away.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Re: Nick Leddy

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:It's now official:

Leddy agrees to deal with Blackhawks

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... anchO7DiUr

I was somewhat optimistic that the Gophers would be better this year, but him leaving the program after just one year really hurts.

I also believe that the Wild will soon come to regret trading his rights away.
I agree with everything except the last bit.
Always celly hard.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

:? I`m wondering if maybe it was happy hour at the Hawks rink... Leddy needs at least another year of college hockey before even thinking about the BlackHawks farm club... :roll: :roll:
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I'm sure the reigning Stanley cup champs have no idea what they're doing, I trust those in charge of evaluating the hawk prospects know what they are looking for.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

MnPride2 wrote::? I`m wondering if maybe it was happy hour at the Hawks rink... Leddy needs at least another year of college hockey before even thinking about the BlackHawks farm club... :roll: :roll:
My guess is he signed the Max Rookie contract so maybe money does talk. Not sure another year playing around 30 games in the WCHA is what Chicago wanted.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

keepyourheadup wrote:I'm sure the reigning Stanley cup champs have no idea what they're doing, I trust those in charge of evaluating the hawk prospects know what they are looking for.
Dale Tallon made all the personnel decisions that built the Stanley Cup champs. He is now General Manager of the Florida Panthers. Chicago eased him aside to give Scotty Bowman's son a shot.

If your point is that Chicago must know what they are doing because they just won the Stanley Cup you'll have trouble convincing me.
Be kind. Rewind.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

keepyourheadup wrote:I'm sure the reigning Stanley cup champs have no idea what they're doing, I trust those in charge of evaluating the hawk prospects know what they are looking for.
maybe some truth there,but Leddy was very average on D with the Gophers,he has a loooooong way to go...btw i`m not bashing Leddy, just my opinion after watching him last year.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

MnPride2 wrote:
maybe some truth there,but Leddy was very average on D with the Gophers,he has a loooooong way to go...btw i`m not bashing Leddy, just my opinion after watching him last year.
its hard to look good on D when your forwards cannot sustain any kind of a forecheck...if/when the gophs scored 3 goals they usually won

he must have been good at that camp...or this does not happen
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MnPride2 wrote:maybe some truth there,but Leddy was very average on D with the Gophers,he has a loooooong way to go...btw i`m not bashing Leddy, just my opinion after watching him last year.
Have to disagree with you there. As a long time Gopher season ticket holder, I thought he was one of the few bright spots in the lineup last year. A very heady player, and I believe he would have had an even bigger impact this season, and he will be sorely missed. I think he will have a great NHL career - just wish I could have watched him one more season with the Gophs.
breakout

Post by breakout »

O-townClown wrote:
Dale Tallon made all the personnel decisions that built the Stanley Cup champs. He is now General Manager of the Florida Panthers. Chicago eased him aside to give Scotty Bowman's son a shot.

If your point is that Chicago must know what they are doing because they just won the Stanley Cup you'll have trouble convincing me.
Yes OTC, Chicago will become a bunch of idiots after previous administration has left the building. Poor young Stan Bowman who has only grown up with one of the greatest minds in hockey and has a simple Notre Dame education. Maybe he has other talented people around him?

By the way, isn't that the same previous hawk administration that got the boot because they forgot to file paperwork before an NHL deadline which ended up costing them significant (millions) cap space??? Me thinks so. Can you say Cam Barker trade?

I hear Scotty Bowman is a consultant for Hawks. I cannot remember, isn't he associated with 9 or so Stanley Cups??? Where is Mr. Tallon at??? I am guessing Scotty knows something about putting together talent.

Man, I feel sorry for that squad! :wink:
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I felt Leddy was their best player at the end of the year. My point was not to convince anyone that because Chicago won the cup they are even more qualified than other NHL teams, but illustrate that not only the Wild but Chicago felt strongly enough about Leddy to pursue him in the manner they did. I like to believe that the hockey people in charge of player development for all NHL franchises are better suited to make these decisions than us fans on a high school hockey forum. Time will tell but I like Nick's chances.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Chicago spent too much for their team (worth it though, considering they won the Cup this year), and have since blown it up while keeping only the star players around. Leddy might not be NHL ready but I bet he gets his shot sooner than you'd think.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

black sheep wrote:
MnPride2 wrote:
its hard to look good on D when your forwards cannot sustain any kind of a forecheck...if/when the gophs scored 3 goals they usually won

he must have been good at that camp...or this does not happen

Point
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

I believe he would have had an even bigger impact this season
...if he would have stayed,flash $$$$$$$$$ look what happens.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

breakout wrote: Poor young Stan Bowman who has only grown up with one of the greatest minds in hockey and has a simple Notre Dame education.
And Wayne Gretzky has brothers and Jack Nicklaus has sons.

The argument he was making was that the Hawks won the Stanley Cup and therefore know exactly what they are doing because they signed Leddy. I never said everything will turn to mush, just that the argument holds no water with me since Tallon isn't there.

You ask where he is now? US Senior Open. Seriously.
Be kind. Rewind.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The argument I was making is that its my opinion that ANY nhl team has a pretty darn good idea what they are doing when it comes to evaluating players. Yes, some are better than others. Leddy was offered a contract because the Hawks felt it was the right thing to do for them! Once again, we can debate amongst ourselves on whether or not we think it was good idea. Like any business the blackhawks acted out of self interest, they saw an asset they believed could help them and took the required steps to acquire it. I only used the term "reigning stanley cup champs" to try to get the point across that the people involved were highly qualified.
murray

Post by murray »

I only used the term "reigning stanley cup champs" to try to get the point across that the people involved were highly qualified.quote

really, if management wasn't nearsighted they might not have mortgaged the future for one cup. and firesale the team the next year ala Marlins.

good for nick, he hit at the right time. hope he has a long and productive nhl career, sorry we wont see him in maroon and gold, or skating for the wild.

Post by 12345 »

keepyourheadup wrote:The argument I was making is that its my opinion that ANY nhl team has a pretty darn good idea what they are doing when it comes to evaluating players. Yes, some are better than others. Leddy was offered a contract because the Hawks felt it was the right thing to do for them! Once again, we can debate amongst ourselves on whether or not we think it was good idea. Like any business the blackhawks acted out of self interest, they saw an asset they believed could help them and took the required steps to acquire it. I only used the term "reigning stanley cup champs" to try to get the point across that the people involved were highly qualified.
Yep... totally agree with keepyourheadup.
And...just to add another point... it's not necessarily that they took him because he's "ready"... they likley took him because they believe that they can develop him into they type of player they're looking for... Sometimes that's hard for us to understand. It happens all the time with colleges and USHL teams too. We sometimes don't understand why certain kids get chosen over others... but many times it's because they see someone they think they can develop into a great player. For instance, a kid who has a lot of hockey sense and makes good decisions, but can't catch or make a pass for the life of him... might get chosen over a kid who's got a lot of talent, but doesn't make good decisions on the ice. They can "fix" the passing thing, but can't fix the "decision" thing as easily. I see it all the time with kids who are good skaters too... it's harder to fix "skating" and "speed" than it is to fix "needs to get tougher". After high school, it's just a "shot in the dark". You just have to hope the team that drafted you sees something in you that they like. Good for Leddy... it's always fun to see it's "not so far away" for some kids.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

A fire sale ? I think its more the economic realities of the NHL. They have kept a very good core but no doubt the departures will take there toll. Few teams are able to sustain success for very long with the exception of Detroit and possibly Pittsburg. Don't be surprised if the Capitals don't have the same issue soon. 4 or 5 top end guys eat up most of the salary cap.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

murray wrote:I only used the term "reigning stanley cup champs" to try to get the point across that the people involved were highly qualified.quote

really, if management wasn't nearsighted they might not have mortgaged the future for one cup. and firesale the team the next year ala Marlins.

good for nick, he hit at the right time. hope he has a long and productive nhl career, sorry we wont see him in maroon and gold, or skating for the wild.
The Balckhawks did have to give up a bunch of good players but they still have 3 15 defensemen and kane and toews. How many of the players that the Blackhawks gave up will do better this season than last season? I'll bet zero.

The NHL makes impossible to keep a team as talented up and down the roster like the Blackhawks are together so the Hawks are shipping out the players they think are overvalued.
orlo4457

Post by orlo4457 »

i have a feeling the wild will regret not drafting jordan schroeder instead of drafting nick leddy then trading his right away... what are these people thinking
nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 »

I'm not sure how much they will regret that decision but I do know that they got rid of an overpaid player in Kim Jonsson who wasn't very good at all. I don't know how good Cam Barker is but he seems like a better player than Jonsson.
orlo4457 wrote:i have a feeling the wild will regret not drafting jordan schroeder instead of drafting nick leddy then trading his right away... what are these people thinking
IcePick

Post by IcePick »

Scotty Bowman compares Leddy to Housley . . . .

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535312
BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets »

I wish Leddy would have stayed another year. Thought he was developing well after the injury. Better UM than OKC or some CHL town.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

BeerBibleBullets wrote:I wish Leddy would have stayed another year. Thought he was developing well after the injury. Better UM than OKC or some CHL town.
Well, he has started the year with the defending champion 'Hawks and scored a goal in his 3rd game. I think he's made the right decision...CHL? Really?