Nick Leddy traded to Blackhawks

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

starmvp

Nick Leddy traded to Blackhawks

Post by starmvp »

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Just heard it too... Johnsson and Leddy to Black Hacks for Cam Barker.... I didn't realize Barker was the 3rd players selected overall behind Al Ovechkin and Malkin.... he must be a nice player.

We hardly new ya. Nick......
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Goldfishdude wrote:Just heard it too... Johnsson and Leddy to Black Hacks for Cam Barker.... I didn't realize Barker was the 3rd players selected overall behind Al Ovechkin and Malkin.... he must be a nice player.

Will Barker play tonight?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

clutterbuck22 wrote:
Goldfishdude wrote:Just heard it too... Johnsson and Leddy to Black Hacks for Cam Barker.... I didn't realize Barker was the 3rd players selected overall behind Al Ovechkin and Malkin.... he must be a nice player.

Will Barker play tonight?
Expected to play his first game Sunday against Vancouver.
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

I for one think it's a great trade. I give Fletcher credit for not being afraid to pull the trigger. He's proven already this year he knows talent. I also heard the Wild were worried about Leddy's development at the U. Still think he would have been alot better off in the OHL or the WHL
He'll rot if he stays at he U. The NHL boy's sure don't have much confidence in Donnie boy do they?
CoachRabbit

Post by CoachRabbit »

ALSECORD wrote:I for one think it's a great trade. I give Fletcher credit for not being afraid to pull the trigger. He's proven already this year he knows talent. I also heard the Wild were worried about Leddy's development at the U. Still think he would have been alot better off in the OHL or the WHL
He'll rot if he stays at he U. The NHL boy's sure don't have much confidence in Donnie boy do they?
We should have drafted Schroeder instead.
CoachRabbit

Post by CoachRabbit »

that just goes to show you how horrible of a draft team we have been in the past. Kim johnson and a 1st rd pick for one player. i do not think that this was a good move. 3rd pick overall.

Sorry Mn Wild fans Craig leopold is holding our team hostage as to make back all the money he lost in Nashville. four hundred and some sell outs and we can not have any consistency nor spend the money to purchase the consistency. was his father in law a pohlad?
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

I guess the Wild doesn't care about Mn Hockey politics. I'm so offended :wink:
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

Schroeder would have been a good pick. Yes, but the fact still remains he's still at the U too. I'm not so sure his development hasn't suffered as well. Not sure why. Is it coaching? Lack of talent around him? Is he playing with as much passion as in the past? Has he peaked?
All good questions. I still think he would have been much better off in Canada as well.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Barker is by far the B-hawks worst defenseman(I know they have a solid group). How he was the #3 overall pick is beyond me. I personally watched him in Chicago the past few years and he is not at all a good D-man. Johnnson is overpaid, but we are only getting worse at that position with this move.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

this should be moved to the college forum.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

wingmaster wrote:this should be moved to the college forum.
Pro forum is the right place.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
either one. Nick Leddy is still in college so he is still an amateur, so I would first put it in college and then because it is a pro trade i would then put it in the pro forum.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

He should of went to Juinors first so.........

Junior forum is the place.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

I agree, he will be there soon enough. chicago isn't going to let him play 30 games a year.
gaborik

Post by gaborik »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

he played high school so it must go in the HS forum 1st :P
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

CoachRabbit wrote:that just goes to show you how horrible of a draft team we have been in the past. Kim johnson and a 1st rd pick for one player. i do not think that this was a good move. 3rd pick overall.

Sorry Mn Wild fans Craig leopold is holding our team hostage as to make back all the money he lost in Nashville. four hundred and some sell outs and we can not have any consistency nor spend the money to purchase the consistency. was his father in law a pohlad?
Kim Johnnson was moved to make cap room for Zidlicky to be resigned.

And how can you compare Leipold to Pohlad? For one, the NHL has a salary cap. There is only a certain amount each team can spend, and the Wild has been up against the cap. The issues with the Wild comes from their poor drafting. Look at the teams that have turned into the powerhouses in the league over the last few years - Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. All of those teams built through the draft. Even Detroit, without question the best team over the last decade, built a majority of their team through smart drafting and successful player development. Zetterberg was the 200th pick or something like that.

As a Wild fan, the trades that Fletcher has made give me hope. One could argue that Risebrough would have waited too long to dump Johnnson, have the deadline pass, and either get a 3rd round pick for him or nothing at all. Sure, Leddy has all the tools to be an Alex Goligoski-type NHL d-man, but he was expendable, since the Wild has several D prospects.

The chances of the Wild winning a cup with borrowed players, or by going all "Yankees" on the NHL are slim to none. That's not how the league works now. They need, and will, build through the draft.
HOUNDS
mn man

Post by mn man »

I agree, and there is a thread there for this, but no one ever looks at the pro forum! ](*,)
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Lucia4President wrote:The chances of the Wild winning a cup with borrowed players, or by going all "Yankees" on the NHL are slim to none. That's not how the league works now. They need, and will, build through the draft.
Definitely a good strategy and great business to trade your 1st rounder 6 months after you drafted him. Obviously, we realized we messed up by drafting Leddy or something and this is a move to try and cover it up.

For the most part, I agree with you but you gotta go out and sign talent and make moves also. The Devils got Kovalchuk for Bergfors and a few scrap pieces. Why is it never us making moves like this? Instead of ruling the NHL (like we should be) we're constantly fighting for the 8th seed every year - our fans who sell out that building every night deserve better. Period.
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

schwang17 wrote:
Lucia4President wrote:The chances of the Wild winning a cup with borrowed players, or by going all "Yankees" on the NHL are slim to none. That's not how the league works now. They need, and will, build through the draft.
Definitely a good strategy and great business to trade your 1st rounder 6 months after you drafted him. Obviously, we realized we messed up by drafting Leddy or something and this is a move to try and cover it up.

For the most part, I agree with you but you gotta go out and sign talent and make moves also. The Devils got Kovalchuk for Bergfors and a few scrap pieces. Why is it never us making moves like this? Instead of ruling the NHL (like we should be) we're constantly fighting for the 8th seed every year - our fans who sell out that building every night deserve better. Period.
I think over the history of the Wild we haven't had a GM that was willing to pull the trigger on those kinds of deals. Fletcher seems to have a better understanding of what it will take, both in the short and long run, for the Wild to be consistently in the hunt of a NW Division title.

But, I can't argue with you when you say we as Wild fans deserve to have a product that is always near the top of the NHL. Honestly, I have faith that this management group will help get us there.
HOUNDS
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

schwang17 wrote:

Kovalchuck is a free agent this summer, thats why he went for nothing. As was the case with Johnsson, and at $5.3mil/yr (our 2nd highest paid player) I doubt we were going to resign him. Barker is 23, had 40 pts. last year, and is signed for 2 or 3 years after this one. You'd have to have very very high expectations for Leddy to call this a bad trade for the Wild.
Lakeviewing

Leddy Trade

Post by Lakeviewing »

I agree, the Wild 1st pick should have been Schroeder, they need young forward and scoring talent, rather than a freshman defensiveman in Leddy playing at the U of M system. As for Leddy, he should like the change to Chicago trade and get hell out of the U of M system and the Wild/Houston program. Right now, the Wild and their farm team are re-building. Chicago, is a talented team with Kane and Towes. Leddy is a better fit here. I look for Leddy to lead this defensive team here in the future.
ALSECORD wrote:Schroeder would have been a good pick. Yes, but the fact still remains he's still at the U too. I'm not so sure his development hasn't suffered as well. Not sure why. Is it coaching? Lack of talent around him? Is he playing with as much passion as in the past? Has he peaked?
All good questions. I still think he would have been much better off in Canada as well.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Hard to put the blame on the U for Schroeder. He gets plenty of ice time,PP and PK. He wasn't even close to the best forward on the US junior team. Being on the fast track might have caught up with him.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

gaborik wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote: Pro forum is the right place.

he played high school so it must go in the HS forum 1st :P
Youth Forum FTW.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Re: Leddy Trade

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Lakeviewing wrote:I agree, the Wild 1st pick should have been Schroeder, they need young forward and scoring talent, rather than a freshman defensiveman in Leddy playing at the U of M system. As for Leddy, he should like the change to Chicago trade and get hell out of the U of M system and the Wild/Houston program. Right now, the Wild and their farm team are re-building. Chicago, is a talented team with Kane and Towes. Leddy is a better fit here. I look for Leddy to lead this defensive team here in the future.
ALSECORD wrote:Schroeder would have been a good pick. Yes, but the fact still remains he's still at the U too. I'm not so sure his development hasn't suffered as well. Not sure why. Is it coaching? Lack of talent around him? Is he playing with as much passion as in the past? Has he peaked?
Sorry but the Wild traded down and took Leddy. Schroeder was passed on 5 more times before the Canucks grabbed him. At 5' 8" Schroeder had the size or lack of to slide more. Leddy was drafted as a PR move to appease a few vocal fans. They should stick to drafting the best player available.