2009-2010 Bantam A Rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wannagototherink

2009-2010 Bantam A Rankings

Post by wannagototherink »

I don't have any rankings, I'm just hoping that by posting this it will get CNF to put out his first set of rankings now that teams are playing.

CHUCK WHERE ARE YOU?
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
HudsonHawk

Post by HudsonHawk »

I don't have any rankings, but Eagan will be a Top 5 team all year. Minneapolis Park will be good, maybe Top 15?

C'mon Chuck!

Hawk.
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

Sorry guys I don't have it all figured out yet, I will have more towards the end of the month.

I know this took a peek at some schedules online and see there are some good games early on here.

Tomorrow Night - Edina vs Centennial at Edina

Next week - Wayzata plays Centennial, East and Shattuck at Home

In a couple of weeks you can see the best teams play at Centennial.
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"
love2skate

Post by love2skate »

Edina just beat Cenntenial tonight 14-1
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

love2skate wrote:Edina just beat Cenntenial tonight 14-1
Edina moves the puck well and have speed. Centennial didn't bring to much to the rink
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Nobodyonya wrote:
Edina moves the puck well and have speed. Centennial didn't bring to much to the rink
Was/Is Centennial in tryouts still? Did they have soem kids not playing?
OPr is Edina just that much better?
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

elliott70 wrote:
Nobodyonya wrote:
Was/Is Centennial in tryouts still? Did they have soem kids not playing?
OPr is Edina just that much better?
Edina is that much better. Centennial will be good once the season starts going, but they don't have the depth like last years team
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Thanks.
:D
LPH

Post by LPH »

Kevin Kurtt, editor of Let's Play Hockey, here. I just wanted to offer those that are interested/qualifed an opportunity to be a ranker for Minnesota youth hockey within the pages of LPH. Are you a youth hockey coach, assistant coach, team manager or devout follower of youth hockey around the state who can lend a hand?

Here are the details of the "job." Each Monday evening, I would send you a compilation of all the youth hockey scores that I receive from over the weekend. Using that info, as well as your expertise at your chosen level of youth hockey, you would email me your rankings by noon on Wednesday.

Our rankers are anonymous. If you want to become a ranker, send a note to editor@letsplayhockey.com.
hockeystud9

Post by hockeystud9 »

they have played games already? i know of teams that havent even started tryouts yet
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

The word of the day is "linqu" or Latin for leave or abandon. What will happen to this happy top 20 November 16th When HS begins? No one is sure. Two weeks to the Centennial Preview, when top teams in the state play some exhibition games. A great 1st look.

1 Edina - Hands Down Number #1 - question is will they all stay?
2 Wayzata - Young with talent not sure if Besse stayed?
3 Woodbury - If everyone sticks around & doesn't bolt 2 East Ridge should be good
4 Lakeville South - Should be solid team, defections in past have hurt them
5 Eagan - Should be good sized and experienced 1st look will be at preview
6 Duluth East - Did they get a move in goalie, if so that solidifies top team
7 Apple Valley - 2nd years gained valuable experince last year
8 Grand Rapids - Just an in your face solid northern team
9 Elk River - the best D10 will offer loads of talent if no one goes to HS
10 Cloquet - Should be solid
11 Minnetonka - were improved last year and will look to build off that
12 Roseau - can't keep them down, they are the mecca of hockey
13 White Bear Lake - Heard they kept 20 guys, not sure if that huts or helps
14 Maple Grove - loss of top notch compititon and quality coach will hurt this team
15 Centennial - very young, No Ras, and not good as peewees...can we say 14-1 ouch
16 Eden Prairie - lost to Centennial 5-3 and Shattuck 10-3, time to refocus
17 Burnsville - should challenge for #2 spot in d6 this year
18 Bloomington Jefferson - not the power of old but still dangerous
19 Lakeville North - starting to improve after lakeville split
20 Coon Rapids - not sure if they will have the team they should, if everyone stayed they would be top 10
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

Chuck Norris Fan wrote:The word of the day is "linqu" or Latin for leave or abandon. What will happen to this happy top 20 November 16th When HS begins? No one is sure. Two weeks to the Centennial Preview, when top teams in the state play some exhibition games. A great 1st look.

1 Edina - Hands Down Number #1 - question is will they all stay?
2 Wayzata - Young with talent not sure if Besse stayed?
3 Woodbury - If everyone sticks around & doesn't bolt 2 East Ridge should be good
4 Lakeville South - Should be solid team, defections in past have hurt them
5 Eagan - Should be good sized and experienced 1st look will be at preview
6 Duluth East - Did they get a move in goalie, if so that solidifies top team
7 Apple Valley - 2nd years gained valuable experince last year
8 Grand Rapids - Just an in your face solid northern team
9 Elk River - the best D10 will offer loads of talent if no one goes to HS
10 Cloquet - Should be solid
11 Minnetonka - were improved last year and will look to build off that
12 Roseau - can't keep them down, they are the mecca of hockey
13 White Bear Lake - Heard they kept 20 guys, not sure if that huts or helps
14 Maple Grove - loss of top notch compititon and quality coach will hurt this team
15 Centennial - very young, No Ras, and not good as peewees...can we say 14-1 ouch
16 Eden Prairie - lost to Centennial 5-3 and Shattuck 10-3, time to refocus
17 Burnsville - should challenge for #2 spot in d6 this year
18 Bloomington Jefferson - not the power of old but still dangerous
19 Lakeville North - starting to improve after lakeville split
20 Coon Rapids - not sure if they will have the team they should, if everyone stayed they would be top 10
Anyone know how eastview will be?
regsharp

Post by regsharp »

"2 Wayzata - Young with talent not sure if Besse stayed?"

no, he did not return
LesHabs

Post by LesHabs »

mngopherfan wrote:
Chuck Norris Fan wrote:The word of the day is "linqu" or Latin for leave or abandon. What will happen to this happy top 20 November 16th When HS begins?
Another word of the day all season is going to be "H1N1". As we are already seeing the impact of this on some of the scores reported. Who is lucky enough to stay healthy will be at a major advantage, given what this has the capability to do to deplete a team.
justhavefun

Post by justhavefun »

Good Point....
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I think it'll be tough to be an association director of hockey that made the decision to create teams of 10 or 11 skaters, 1 goalie; 13 or 15 skaters and 2 goalies would certainly have been a more conservative approach.
hockey relic

Post by hockey relic »

LesHabs wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
Chuck Norris Fan wrote:The word of the day is "linqu" or Latin for leave or abandon. What will happen to this happy top 20 November 16th When HS begins?
Another word of the day all season is going to be "H1N1". As we are already seeing the impact of this on some of the scores reported. Who is lucky enough to stay healthy will be at a major advantage, given what this has the capability to do to deplete a team.
How long does it take to get over H1N1? 5-7 days? might impact a game or two but hopefully not the whole season...
sioux

Post by sioux »

How many kids could be potentially leaving the Edina Bantam A team for the HS ranks?
observer

Post by observer »

We'll have to wait and hear from a Hornet family but I'll guess none. The first reason is no one strong enough make the varsity or JV team. The second reason is sheer numbers. Consider, they have 8 bantam teams which graduate 60 skaters to high school, on average, a year. Even if they lose 10 to private schools that still leaves 50 new high school skaters each year. Only a few associations have that kind of depth. They have a varsity team, JV, 3 Jr. Gold and 3 U16 teams. That's 8 teams of high school aged kids. No bantams. A little different than any other high school in the state.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

One player will probably move to varsity. GB
observer

Post by observer »

Doubt it. Why would you go from being one of the better Bantam A players to the absolute weakest varsity player. That would be a poor decision. And, they would have to leap over 7 teams of high school aged players to do so. Remember, youth combines two years of players and high school three. Big jump and I don't see a player that special on the Bantam A roster.
sioux

Post by sioux »

observer wrote:We'll have to wait and hear from a Hornet family but I'll guess none. The first reason is no one strong enough make the varsity or JV team. The second reason is sheer numbers. Consider, they have 8 bantam teams which graduate 60 skaters to high school, on average, a year. Even if they lose 10 to private schools that still leaves 50 new high school skaters each year. Only a few associations have that kind of depth. They have a varsity team, JV, 3 Jr. Gold and 3 U16 teams. That's 8 teams of high school aged kids. No bantams. A little different than any other high school in the state.

If they choose not to attend a private school. Players have left Edina.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

GoldenBear wrote:One player will probably move to varsity. GB
STA Varsity but no way Edina. Heard it didn't work so well for the player or the team last time they tried it and have to agree - Edina's program at HS level is too deep with bigger, stronger, older, more mature kids who could have an immediate impact. Why bring up a 9th grader to sit on the bench for a year with so many older kids to choose from? If the Bantam roster is over 18 then my bet is they think they'll lose players but if it's 18 or less, doubt they're anticipating it.

I've heard Woodbury and Lakeville S will be very good this year. What's up with EP though? With their population size, surprising they can't field a better Bantam A team.
observer

Post by observer »

Programs go through cycles all tied back to recruiting 5 year olds. EP's State Championship Bantam A team two years ago had 13 92s. I'll guess last years Wayzata team had several 93s and I know other top teams had as many as 11-12 93s last year. That means top Bantam A teams this year will likely have several second half 94s. EP has a couple decent second half 94s but overall their 94 class is weak.

I believe two important factors are total number of Bantam teams. Edina 8, Wayzata and OMG 7. And, number of 94s and first half 95s. Top Bantam A teams usually have between zero and a couple of first year players.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

Doglover wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:One player will probably move to varsity. GB
I've heard Woodbury and Lakeville S will be very good this year. What's up with EP though? With their population size, surprising they can't field a better Bantam A team.
It is still VERY early. Not too early to provide rankings, they provide a guage at any given time. But it is way too early to determine whether a team is good or not.