Guentzel Resigns

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flatontheice

Guentzel Resigns

Post by flatontheice »

Mike Guentzel has resigned. Gopher hockey has hit a low.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Any reason as to why??? :shock:
Hockeyguy_27

Re: MG Resigns

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

flatontheice wrote:Mike Guentzel has resigned. Gopher hockey has hit a low.
Guentzel is a great guy and a solid recruiter. The Gophers have lost the best member of their staff. I hope he gets a head coaching job somewhere good, he deserves it.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Indians forever wrote:Any reason as to why??? :shock:
Who knows? Might have gotten the St. John's job?
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

George Blanda wrote:Who knows? Might have gotten the St. John's job?
Very good observation George! I haven't seen many posts from you lately... where have you been??
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

George Blanda wrote:
Indians forever wrote:Any reason as to why??? :shock:
Who knows? Might have gotten the St. John's job?
Look to the USHL - good chance he'll be taking one of the open head jobs there. It may seem like an illogical career move, but it is a good possibility.
northwoods oldtimer

Guentzel

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Best news out of Rodent Country this year. Now to get rid of Hill and even Lucia. I will refrain from making any personal comments with regards to the trifecta simply to say this is pretty good news.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

I wish Mr. Guentzel the best in whatever he chooses to pursue...

But, I think it is time to shake things up on the Gopher bench. I think Don saw this too.
Mike had the D, and the development of some has been slow to non-existent, ie Anderson - Centennial & Fischer - Apple Valley, yet coached 5 All American D earlier at the U.
As Mike said on the Gopher website, he wants to follow family more, which is commendable, and it is probably time for him to get another head coaching shot...
komada77

Post by komada77 »

DmanDad1980 wrote:I wish Mr. Guentzel the best in whatever he chooses to pursue...

But, I think it is time to shake things up on the Gopher bench. I think Don saw this too.
Mike had the D, and the development of some has been slow to non-existent, ie Anderson - Centennial & Fischer - Apple Valley, yet coached 5 All American D earlier at the U.
As Mike said on the Gopher website, he wants to follow family more, which is commendable, and it is probably time for him to get another head coaching shot...
His son Ryan plays at Notre Dame. Any chance of him moving down there?
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

He said that he only got to see playhis son once this year and he should watch his own kid more than he watches other people's kids
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

DmanDad1980 wrote: But, I think it is time to shake things up on the Gopher bench. I think Don saw this too.
You've been listening to Woog too much. Anderson had the highest plus minus amongst defense, his partner Fischer was second.

6 Anderson, R. J. D Lino Lakes, MN +7
4 Bickel, Stu D Chanhassen, MN -6
28 Fairchild, Cade D Duluth, MN -4
20 Fischer, David D Apple Valley, MN +6
5 Peltier, Derek D Plymouth, MN +2
2 Wehrs, Kevin D Plymouth, MN +2
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

Neutron 14 wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote: But, I think it is time to shake things up on the Gopher bench. I think Don saw this too.
You've been listening to Woog too much. Anderson had the highest plus minus amongst defense, his partner Fischer was second.

I thought Fischer was paired with Peltier most of this past season. When Vanneli was a senior, Fischer and Anderson were paired together a majority of the that season.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

st.cloud st has better defencemen than the gophers.....i am gonna miss the interview before the start of the period that he did....i would love to see him as a head coach...alaska fairbanks has an oppening....maybe
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Couldn't tell ya one defenseman from St. cloud St...They must be really good.

Pairings were:

Peltier and Fischer
Fairchild and Bickel
Anderson and Wehrs

Would make no sense for him to sep down and than accept the St. John's job or a USHL position. Especially since he said he wants to spend more time with his family. Neither of these opportunities would lead to more time with his family.

Has to be tough having a kid at Notre Dame, USHL, and a bantam. I would want to try and watch some of my kids games.
Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey »

wow....a true gopher fan...not know a player on another team...espically a defenceman.....raboin woulda been the best one u had if he was a gopher...he was a huskie...barta, stephenson, brokelhurst, anderson, ammerman, carsile...we had the same 6 defencemen starting in 10 srtaight game...we had defencemen who didnt take dumb penalties(bickel)
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Tigers33 wrote:Neither of these opportunities would lead to more time with his family.
Incorrect.

He could coach at a school like St. Johns or a USHL team and still spend way more time with his family than he does as a Gopher coach. A high level D1 assistant coach spends A LOT of time throughout the year scouting kids around the USA and Canada. Not to mention his coaching duties and coaching at summer camps. A coach at SJU is going to mostly have local kids on his team (far less recruiting/travel for that) and most of the games are in MN. A USHL head coach doesn't spend near as much time away from home as an assistant coach at a D1 school does throughout the year.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Just wondering does Mike have any kids still in k-12?
I know this is gonna sound dumb and weird and not sure why he would, but is there any possibility that he may coach his high school alma-mater
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The point that he makes about spending more time with his kids, I imagine has to do with watching them play hockey. Coaching St. John's or a USHL team is not ging to give him any more of an opportunity to travel to Notre Dame, watch Woodbury bantams, or follow his boy in the USHL (which will be leaving for college soon also). That was my point!

These jobs might give him a better chance to spend the summers with his kids, but he would still be busy from October to April.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Just wondering does Mike have any kids still in k-12?
I know this is gonna sound dumb and weird and not sure why he would, but is there any possibility that he may coach his high school alma-mater
He has one younger son that is in junior high.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Tigers33 wrote:The point that he makes about spending more time with his kids, I imagine has to do with watching them play hockey. Coaching St. John's or a USHL team is not ging to give him any more of an opportunity to travel to Notre Dame, watch Woodbury bantams, or follow his boy in the USHL (which will be leaving for college soon also). That was my point!

These jobs might give him a better chance to spend the summers with his kids, but he would still be busy from October to April.
I don't know if you heard his KFAN interview on "Beyond the Pond" on Saturday but it is pretty clear he is going to be back into coaching again in the near future. Not sure if it will be this next season but soon enough.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Neutron 14 wrote:

Sorry don't listen to Wooger too much anymore, just observations of my own.
The D struggled all year, and Neut, that is an understatement, thank god our goalie played well! Missed passes, turnovers in the D zone, not skating the puck up well or efficiently, all took its toll on this team last year.
Anderson & Fischer are very good kids and good players, but their resume and talent have not progressed at the U of M.
Last edited by DmanDad1980 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Plus/Minus doesn't include power play situations (unless you give up a shorthanded goal). Nor do you get a minus if the opposing team scores a power play goal against you.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Gopher Blog wrote:Plus/Minus doesn't include power play situations (unless you give up a shorthanded goal). Nor do you get a minus if the opposing team scores a power play goal against you.
Thanks, my mistake...

Fairchild only D to get recognition in post season awards - All rookie...

D still struggled immensely last year
New, fresh D coach could help, we can only hope :!:

Ness & Lofquist will probably help too!
pistol

Post by pistol »

How would Ness help? Not anytime soon.

Big loss for the Gophers. I guess I, too, will be watching more Notre Dame!
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

pistol wrote:How would Ness help? Not anytime soon.

Big loss for the Gophers. I guess I, too, will be watching more Notre Dame!
Moving soon :D