STATE 8 or 16 teams

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

State Touney

8 teams
67%
16 teams
33%

Total votes: 33

Whats Hannenin

STATE 8 or 16 teams

Post by Whats Hannenin »

Should they have 16 teams in the State tourney like NCAA? the teams that win there section get a automatic bid to the tourney and the other 8 that have the records to be there, but didnt win there section.

Just curious to what you all think.
number1stmafan

Post by number1stmafan »

I like the way they do it now. If you dont win your section you shouldnt go to state.
formerallstar

Post by formerallstar »

Gotta keep it the way it is right now. It is pretty much a tradition, having one team representing each of the 8 regions down in St. Paul.

You can't take the next eight with the best records. it wouldn't work..

Example- Section 7A has their section champion at state, meanwhile section 5A has their section champion at state along with two other teams that had good records this year. You see you could have one section with one team at state, then another section with three at state. It just wouldn't work, doesn't seem right.

KEEP IT THE WAY IT IS
'07 STATE CONTEST WINNER
'07 COLLEGE TOURNEY WINNER
youngblood52

Post by youngblood52 »

What I'd like to see happen, and it never will, is they combine A and AA into one 16 team tournament. It wouldn't be fair because of enrollment reasons, but I'd like to see some of these people who think A is a joke to watch one of the small school take it to the bigger schools.
hipcheck

been done

Post by hipcheck »

It already happened! Two Class A size schools played for the AA title this year!

Both teams beat "big schools" to get there.
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

What I would like to see is two 16 team tournaments with the champions of each playing each other on saturday night. sure it would make the whole tournament a week long but think of the drama of watching some of these underdogs going against the perenial winners night after night for a week. the champions won't be able to get by with just 2 good lines anymore they will have to also prove there depth and play all 4 lines at time...it will never happen but if you want to see the glory years of minnesota hockey this would be it.
youngblood52

Re: been done

Post by youngblood52 »

hipcheck wrote:It already happened! Two Class A size schools played for the AA title this year!

Both teams beat "big schools" to get there.
O haha yea you are right i forgot about that part, oops my bad. :oops:
state 06

Post by state 06 »

finance gal so your saying you want to see the underdogs have basically another chance at state after sections to maybe meet up wouldnt that just defeat the purpose of the section final game other than the title, which is good but everyone knows there jsut working to go to state esspeically when they get to the section championship. and dont teams already are exhausted by the end of the weekend wouldnt it make the championship game less fun to watch becuase they would have no gas left whatsoever so it would be just nose to the grindstone hockey which is amazing to play but no fun to watch.