Records Vs. Rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

puckdaddy22

Records Vs. Rankings

Post by puckdaddy22 »

I know that there has been alot of talk in the past posts that always come to the discussion (ha ha) of how one team is ranked above another team. <br><br>In most other sports you are ranked by a record of your performance in games and not by the schedule of games played...and so the points system is used. In fact in each conference, the points system is used to select the conference champion.<br><br>Why then can we not agree to use both systems. Teams advance by winning and not by strength of opponents played. Because only the top eight teams in SOS would advance the other teams shouldn't have a chance right. We all know that also is not true.<br><br>SOS is only an indicator of how strong a team might be based on common opponents and should be used if not in the same class A vs.AA for example, or to use a football analogy the best teams don't always get to or through the playoffs. <br><br>With that said I would like to see based on points alone how things might shake out. I have done a little work with 8AA and based on points it shure sets up the section games alot different than some might think. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: Records Vs. Rankings

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I agree with this in theory. Points should be used when every team in a closed set has played the same opponents. That's why points and record (within the conference) is used to determine a champion.<br><br>When you start to move away from a common set of opponents, then you must start to consider some other factors than just record alone.<br><br>My understanding is that sections are typically seeded using three criteria:<br><br>#1 (most important) - head-to-head competition. Get beat/swept by a team, you shouldn't be ranked ahead of them unless potentially an amazing upset - but even then...<br><br><br>#2 - common opponents - Team A, B, and C. A beat C. B lost to C, Chances are A #1, C #2, B #3 - also can be used to see score differentials/shot counts for when two teams beat/lose to a common team, etc.<br><br>1&2 are guaranteed in conf. play - hence point totals from record used.<br><br><br>#3 - overall record & SOS. - this has been discussed.<br><br><br>As we can see, SOS only becomes a factor if you have to get to #3 when looking at any 2 teams, as it should be a minor factor with head-to-head and common opponents first & second.<br><br>I'd also like to see section teams play more of their section opponents in regular season. Some coaches despise this as they don't want to "show their hand" but others feel it's necissary to make a case for their section rank. <p></p><i></i>
SEhockeyDAD

points vs. SOS

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Section 1AA is a perfect example of how SOS makes a difference in ranking teams. If the section tournament were put together by points only, right now they would be lined up like this:<br>Roch M/L - 34<br>Dodge County - 26<br>Owatonna - 25<br>Lakeville N. - 23<br>This alignment would place Dodge County at #2; they have the easiest schedule in Minnesota. I just watched them play Rochester's JV this weekend and they barely won 2-1.<br>Lakeville North is by popular concensus (and the KRACH rankings) the #2 seed. Going by points, they would be seeded 4th and be forced to play Roch M/L in the semi-final and in the championship game, the winner would likely face Owatonna, who both teams have already handily beaten.<br>In this case, I think its pretty clear that SOS plays a big part in 1AA rankings. Dodge County, a team that feasted on SW MN opponents, isn't in the same league with Lakeville N., who has a mediocre record because they play Chaska, Eagan and Eden Prairie twice each, as well as teams like Burnsville, CDH and N. St. Paul. SOS is a big reason why Lakeville N. is a no-brainer #2 seed. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: points vs. SOS

Post by ghshockeyfan »

The problem in 1AA is the A/AA crossover by some teams and not others. LV N doesn't have that much crossover, and they have a stronger SOS than many 1AA teams as a result. <p></p><i></i>