2023-24 Season Transfers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Brodziak Fan Club

Re: 2023-24 Season Transfers

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Who knows, but I’m really happy that Chan is bringing (most of) the band back together. So much drama in 2AA. You could argue Chan is the 1b to Tonka’s 1a since they beat them in the regular season and took them to the brink in the section final.
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

Entire Band is back at Chan. Not just most of them.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Nice Transfer Nugget from Tony Scott on the YHH Podcast
Cooper & Spencer Anderson moving in from Michigan to Thief River Falls this winter.

Father Kyle Anderson was former D1 player who graduated from TRF and has moved the boys back to his hometown to play which should be a very nice add to a very veteran Prowlers group. Section 8A is gonna be so fun!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

westsidescout wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:09 pm Kid was NOT GIVEN ANY STARTS IN TWO MONTHS with Chicago Steel in USHL
Be kind. Rewind.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

O-townClown wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:10 am
westsidescout wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:09 pm Kid was NOT GIVEN ANY STARTS IN TWO MONTHS with Chicago Steel in USHL
Not sure why you are yelling? Yes, I understand that he hadn't had any action yet, he's the 3rd goalie sitting behind a D1 commit. I am fairly certain it was explained to him how training, playing time, etc. would be scheduled out when he decided to sign with them and he agreed to it. He was going to be seeing a decent amount of action starting this wknd moving forward. Now you have a coach who stuck out his neck to convince an organization to sign you, you've taken a spot someone else probably wanted and the other USHL clubs will take note of this. From a MN HS hockey fan perspective, this is great! From the perspective of his own personal development, I'm not sure this was the right decision...but to each their own. I'll be curious where he is a year from now, I'm going to say he'll be splitting time in the NAHL in lieu of being the main goalie with Chicago after Manz leaves for Augustana. I wish him luck.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Wesside, there's a lot of speculation there. I have a hard time believing he was going to get a lot of starts going forward when he hadn't had any to this point. If he stopped all the pucks, all bets are off and he'd get all of them. That's the nature of higher levels of hockey like Junior and college. As for his development, it isn't good to not play. He wasn't playing. Now he will. It's a long journey. If he plays well he will continue to advance.

A young man lit up the T'wolves a few days ago. Two years ago he was a freshman buried at Illinois and he transferred out. Easy to argue he was making the wrong decision to leave for Santa Clara. After all, he put in his time and surely was going to play eventually at Illinois. (I'm not serious.) Best rule is to go where you can play. Anyone saying USHL is better for goaltender development than Minnesota high school is obviously assuming that means playing in the USHL. Not watching from up close.
Be kind. Rewind.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

westsidescout wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:07 am
Not sure why you are yelling? Yes, I understand that he hadn't had any action yet, he's the 3rd goalie sitting behind a D1 commit. I am fairly certain it was explained to him how training, playing time, etc. would be scheduled out when he decided to sign with them and he agreed to it. He was going to be seeing a decent amount of action starting this wknd moving forward. Now you have a coach who stuck out his neck to convince an organization to sign you, you've taken a spot someone else probably wanted and the other USHL clubs will take note of this. From a MN HS hockey fan perspective, this is great! From the perspective of his own personal development, I'm not sure this was the right decision...but to each their own. I'll be curious where he is a year from now, I'm going to say he'll be splitting time in the NAHL in lieu of being the main goalie with Chicago after Manz leaves for Augustana. I wish him luck.
God forbid a teenager reversed his decision that now allows him to play high school hockey and be with his family and friends. Too many people on this board need reminding that hockey isn't everything when they start talking about a young man's "personal development." Your comment sounds like you'd be happier to be proven right that he's playing in the NA next year instead of happy he overcame this "setback" and back in the USHL.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I mean if you just go by last year, Kam and the Storm beat Tonka once and took them to OT in section final . So he probably has at least an even chance of getting to the X in front of 19000 people with his buddies . If he does , he will have a decent chance of winning it . Hard to pass up that lifetime experience chance .Odds are will never play in front of a crowd half that size ever again , or even the electric experience of a MN section final . Minn goalies rarely get to the pros quickly with a paycheck , so what's the rush to get to juniors? And D1 will come someday if it's meant to be .
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:50 pm I mean if you just go by last year, Kam and the Storm beat Tonka once and took them to OT in section final . So he probably has at least an even chance of getting to the X in front of 19000 people with his buddies . If he does , he will have a decent chance of winning it . Hard to pass up that lifetime experience chance .Odds are will never play in front of a crowd half that size ever again , or even the electric experience of a MN section final . Minn goalies rarely get to the pros quickly with a paycheck , so what's the rush to get to juniors? And D1 will come someday if it's meant to be .
WestMetro, well said and there is no shaming in the decision to come back...same not shaming if he had stayed in Chicago and bypassed all those points you laid out. Ultimately only he knows.

The irony in all of this, if he had stayed with his original buddies (moved into Tonka as a 1st year PW before leaving mid Bantam AA year for HF) he would've been a State Champ last year as he would've been Tonka's starting goalie.

That said, he seems like a great kid and teammate wherever he is and wishing him a great Senior Year that as you mentioned is a lifetime experience that he will always remember.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

Hearing The Family just added a last minute addition to the mix - out of state goalie transfer just landed. Played Northstar 18U last year and most recently 18U Power.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

O-townClown wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:39 pm Wesside, there's a lot of speculation there. I have a hard time believing he was going to get a lot of starts going forward when he hadn't had any to this point. If he stopped all the pucks, all bets are off and he'd get all of them. That's the nature of higher levels of hockey like Junior and college. As for his development, it isn't good to not play. He wasn't playing. Now he will. It's a long journey. If he plays well he will continue to advance.

A young man lit up the T'wolves a few days ago. Two years ago he was a freshman buried at Illinois and he transferred out. Easy to argue he was making the wrong decision to leave for Santa Clara. After all, he put in his time and surely was going to play eventually at Illinois. (I'm not serious.) Best rule is to go where you can play. Anyone saying USHL is better for goaltender development than Minnesota high school is obviously assuming that means playing in the USHL. Not watching from up close.
He was going to get 5-6 starts out of the next 12 games thru the end of December per the coaching staff
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

hawkhockey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:02 pm
westsidescout wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:07 am
God forbid a teenager reversed his decision that now allows him to play high school hockey and be with his family and friends. Too many people on this board need reminding that hockey isn't everything when they start talking about a young man's "personal development." Your comment sounds like you'd be happier to be proven right that he's playing in the NA next year instead of happy he overcame this "setback" and back in the USHL.
Quite the opposite, I want MN goalies to succeed...but right or wrong, USHL teams will hold this against him moving forward.