High School Hockey (HSH) versus Major Midget Hockey (MMH)

mnhockey39

High School Hockey (HSH) versus Major Midget Hockey (MMH)

Post by mnhockey39 »

To ALL:<br><br>There has been discussions and debate on another thread regarding the topic identified above, <br>therefore I thought it might be beneficial to have a thread identifying the topic in the Subject in order to get any additional constructive feedback from those who do not know about the discussion because the Subject title does not identify these discussions.<br><br>Some of the discussions have evolved around what each entity (HS Hockey and Major Midget Hockey) has to offer a young man, wanting to pursue avenues available to him, that allow him the best chance to play hockey in Juniors, D3, and or D1.<br><br>Much conversation has evolved around game schedules of 30 games in HSH versus 70 games in MMH. Granted with the evolution of the Elite League 1 and the Elite League 2, HSH players can play 50-60 games in Minnesota. As I have read and heard, the public purpose Doctor Russo invented the EL1 league was an attempt to keep HS kids from playing split schedules in JRs and HS and or leaving for juniors before they finished their HS experience.<br><br>Please discuss the pro and cons regarding game schedule (traveling throughout the USA vs. Minnesota), number of games (30 of HS and 20ish of EL1 and or EL2 vs. MMW of 70), the playing experience of playing 60-70 games with your HS teammates and then your EL1 and or EL2 vs. your major midget 1 team teammates, coaching experience values, and etc...................<br><br>Finally, please reply as to what is truly beneficial for the chance to play Juniors, D3, and or D1!<br><br>Regards,<br>mnhockey39<br> <p></p><i></i>
MassMan

if it ain't broke....

Post by MassMan »

I see this Midget Major vs. High School debate on a lot of different forums, mainly in states where midget hockey and high school hockey are competing for players. Frankly, from where I sit (which is halfway across the country), I don’t see this as a big issue in Minnesota, where midget hockey is not very big. In Minnesota, high school hockey is where the top players play. And looking at the Junior, D3, and D1 placements that come out of the HS ranks you will realize that it is model that is working very well for the Minnesota kids.<br><br>The debate about playing 60-70 games on one midget team versus playing 20-30 high school games and then 20-30 games on an off-season league is an interesting one. In my opinion, I think it’s more beneficial for the kid’s development to have a split season; high school and off-season league. Why?? The kids are going to get a chance to play for (at least) two different coaches, under two different systems, and play with/against different sets of players. I think that results in more rounded players. Besides…. It may just be more interesting for the kids. (Playing for 9 months out of the year for the same coach, under the same system, against basically the same opponents has got to get a little dull after a while.)<br><br>Player development rests largely with the training the kids are getting and the level of competition. Right now, in Minnesota, the high schools leagues have it.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Observer85

Re: High School Hockey (HSH) versus Major Midget Hockey (MMH

Post by Observer85 »

This coming weekend at the New Hope arena, the Bauer National Invitional tournament will take place. Minnesota HS hockey will be represented by 2 "all-star" teams from the 6 EL1 teams. Also in the field will be 6 MMH teams, most of them (other than Shattuck) traveling from a significant distance to play. <br><br>Last year, the 2 Minnesota elite teams ended up playing in the finals. Could happen again this year. What is interesting is that the 2 Minnesota teams are not really teams at all, instead a group of talented kids brought together for a weekend of high level competition. They may have one practice time prior to the event.<br><br>Seems as if Minnesota kids get the benefit of exposure without having the travel and expense of the MMH teams. Last year, it was disappointing to see these MMH teams not beat the 2 elite teams, considering the cost of these programs and the amount of practice time that they have prior to the weekend.<br><br>Scout attendence is extremely high for this event. Last year, parents of visiting teams told me that the reason they come to this event is because of the exposure to scouts/coaches. They typically do not have this level of exposure until they enter the spring time regional and national tournaments<br><br>In response to mnhockey39, Minnesota HS hockey is unique. Other areas of the country are not so fortunate. I have talked with several USHL coaches and they can not figure out why many of the more talented players in Minnesota choose to stay and play HS versus play in their junior league. If you look at USHL rosters, many are filled with non Minnesota kids who could be playing MMH. <br><br>In general, if a MMH player is good, most likely he is not playing MMH but has moved on to junior leagues, primarily the USHL. Look at the rosters of many USHL teams, and you will find many 87's, 88's and 89's. These are MMH eligible ages.<br><br>However, a look at the typical NAHL roster (again, in general terms), you will see 85's and 86's, kids no longer eligible for MMH. <br><br>I think the important thing is that regardless of what avenue you take, if you are talented enough, you will progress on to juniors, D3 and/or D1.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
mnhockey39

Re: High School Hockey (HSH) versus Major Midget Hockey (MMH

Post by mnhockey39 »

MassMan & Observer85:<br><br>You both bring forward great points of discussion. <br><br>MassMan, particularly coming from outside of Minnesota it is interesting to hear your take on the subject! I have never questioned, the quality of play of MHS hockey in the State of Hockey, however wanted to hear opinions on the subject matter.<br><br>Observer85, your observation of the USHL and NAHL rosters associated with birth years is the same observation that I have seen for several years. If the USHL is suppose to be the Tier 1 of Juniors, why is a major majority of its participants from MMH and or programs similar to it and the USHL consist of only a handful of MHS hockey players? The natural progression into the top D1 schools is the USHL, isn't it? MMH is the beginning of very competitive hockey for many outside of MN. Focus of MMH and the progression to the NAHL and or USHL is the program goal for its participants similar to HSH here in Minnesota. However, MMH is sending more players by numbers to that next level versus Minnesota HSH.<br><br>In summation, I see Minnesota HSH placing good numbers into the NAHl, however minimal numbers in the USHL. How does Minnesota HSH reverse that trend and accelerate it? I know that there are many lurkers on this board that could add value to the discussion, please give me your thoughts and input.<br><br>Regards,<br>mnhockey39<br> <p></p><i></i>
Knowlze

HSH vs MMH

Post by Knowlze »

There are many players in the junior leagues from MMH. This is because they exist to development players for junior hockey and beyond. Check out their mission statements.<br><br>HSH in Minnesota is an experience, it is not about development. The MSHSL does not allow it. The MSHSL<br>is about providing competitive, equitable, and uniform opportunities. They claim equity, fairness, and justice; all nice thoughts and values. However, fairness/equity do not promote development. Players development from extra practice, additional competition, and inovation which are not promoted in the fairness/equitable rules of MSHSL.<br><br>Really, Minnesota develops players despite HSH governed by the MSHSL. HSH is primarily a product of hockey popularity in the state. Players are developed from organized youth associations run primarily by caring experienced hockey people; parents helping kids take advantage of numerous opportunities in this state; and the hard work of players themselves in the offseason.<br><br>Don't get me wrong, HSH is a wonderful opportunity for kids in this state and I would recommend it to all. However, just take it for what it is and enjoy it, an excellant experience in life. We are so fortunate in this state to have so many options for development. In many states MMH is the only alternative.<br> <p></p><i></i>