What happened to BSM?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

What happened to BSM?

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

So there seems to have been a talent drop off the last couple of years, parents finally had enough of Ken Pauly or what? Could they be going the way of Holy Angels?
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Recruiting classes go up and down
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Hard to be a top 10 team year after year.BSM will be back sooner than later.
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Hard to be a top 10 team year after year.BSM will be back sooner than later.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

I'm sure that's what Holy Angels thought too, how long has it been since they've been relevant?
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

Why is BSM down you ask? The answer is quite simple...

The public schools have gotten better at recruiting then some of the private schools
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Or maybe parents are realizing that spending $14,000 a yr on tuition to essentially attend another "public school" doesn't make sense when the public schools have equally or better education to offer.
green4

Post by green4 »

They graduated like 80% of their players last year and then two more left early, that is what happened.
We should all take a step back and breathe, BSM went 24-0-1 last year before being upset in the playoffs. Let's give them more than 10 games before we decide the whole program is the next Holy Angels. They have a down group this year, but I assume they will bounce back.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Conrad wrote:Or maybe parents are realizing that spending $14,000 a yr on tuition to essentially attend another "public school" doesn't make sense when the public schools have equally or better education to offer.
Yeah, that must be it. :roll:
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:I'm sure that's what Holy Angels thought too, how long has it been since they've been relevant?
Maybe this question has been asked and answered before, but what did happen at Holy Angels that caused them to become irrelevant? They were arguably the best team in the state in the early 2000's, now they regularly lose to teams like Chaska, Kennedy, etc. Is it as simple as Greg Trebil no longer being their HC? Was he a master recruiter, and without him those top end kids go elsewhere? I hope AHA eventually comes back around, because for my money Richfield Ice Arena is one of the top places to watch a heavyweight high school game.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:I'm sure that's what Holy Angels thought too, how long has it been since they've been relevant?
Maybe this question has been asked and answered before, but what did happen at Holy Angels that caused them to become irrelevant? They were arguably the best team in the state in the early 2000's, now they regularly lose to teams like Chaska, Kennedy, etc. Is it as simple as Greg Trebil no longer being their HC? Was he a master recruiter, and without him those top end kids go elsewhere? I hope AHA eventually comes back around, because for my money Richfield Ice Arena is one of the top places to watch a heavyweight high school game.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Losing Tebil obviously hurt, I think. He pulled in some very good players. It's also worth noting that he drew a lot of them (especially at the start) from the Jefferson youth program. That program isn't what it once was, so that diminishes the pool they have to draw from, since it was the most convenient option. I'm not sure they ever really built a pipeline from Edina or some of the other west metro schools that have been better recently (which BSM certainly has), which might have kept them going.

There are only so many good hockey players to go around, and private schools are no exception to these dynamics. In the late 00s, just as AHA had a couple of section upsets, Benilde and even St. Thomas (both close enough to draw from many of the same areas) were rising into regular contenders. If you're looking at your private (even Catholic) options in that time frame, where are you going to go, the team that's rolling to Class A titles, the new kid that just made its first AA Tourney and plays fun open hockey, or the old news school that's just been upset a couple of times and isn't quite what it once was? We talk about how private schools have an advantage in that they draw from anywhere because they don't have youth programs, which is true in a sense. But if you don't keep yourself on the cutting edge of being a top option, other programs can surpass you, and if you don't have a steady pipeline from a youth program feeding in that you can cultivate, you can fall off a cliff pretty quickly. I think that happened to AHA, and is a warning sign to other privates. They may have unique advantages, but that also comes with some disadvantages.

I certainly don't think the sky is falling for Benilde; they lost a ton and have had some injuries, and I expect they'll be back before long. But now that Holy Family's become a prominent hockey destination, they have a little more competition for roughly the same pool of players. We'll see how that plays out long-term.
green4

Post by green4 »

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Just a quick note, I too love Richfield Ice Arena, but since the Magicans started playing there Holy Angels has been sent to play their games in Rink 2, which is not so desirable
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

green4 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:
Just a quick note, I too love Richfield Ice Arena, but since the Magicans started playing there Holy Angels has been sent to play their games in Rink 2, which is not so desirable
Which sheet of ice they play on is contributing to their demise? I'll have some of whatever it is you have.
The U invented swagger.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

I don't think he's insinuating the move to rink 2 is a reason for their downward turn. It's just a side note.

I'm in agreement with many previous posters about Benilde, this season is likely just a bump in the road and a learning experience for some younger players. I'd be surprised if they don't start playing better as this year goes on and then are back in the top 10 mix as soon as next year.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

gopherpuck516 wrote:I don't think he's insinuating the move to rink 2 is a reason for their downward turn. It's just a side note.

I'm in agreement with many previous posters about Benilde, this season is likely just a bump in the road and a learning experience for some younger players. I'd be surprised if they don't start playing better as this year goes on and then are back in the top 10 mix as soon as next year.
When referencing AHA, their lack of contention, and their recruiting falling off, he references the move to a "less desirable rink." Tough to say that's not what he's insinuating, at least at some level.
The U invented swagger.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:I don't think he's insinuating the move to rink 2 is a reason for their downward turn. It's just a side note.

When referencing AHA, their lack of contention, and their recruiting falling off, he references the move to a "less desirable rink." Tough to say that's not what he's insinuating, at least at some level.
Try to keep up. He was agreeing with another who said too bad because Richfield is great place to watch games then mentions that AH plays on Rink 2.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

I don't think he's insinuating the move to rink 2 is a reason for their downward turn. It's just a side note.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Loud noises!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
green4

Post by green4 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:

The previous person said how Richfield Ice Arena is one of their favorite places to watch a high school game so they hoped AHA could become a top team again.
I mentioned that AHA has moved to the 2nd rink, which is obviously the less desirable of the two if you were to watch a high school game in them.
I never gave my opinion on why AHA started to struggle, so I am not sure why you would come to that conclusion, unless you never read the previous quote or a poor attempt at stirring the pot. AHA began their downfall much before they moved to the 2nd rink, so that doesn't even make sense. If I were to guess where AHA struggles came from it would be the Jefferson Pipeline dried up and a lot of private school competition on the West side.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

One reason BSM is temporarily down is because of fewer surplus overflow higher end talented Edina kids moving over to BSM

More/most of the higher end Edina kids are being absorbed into Edina HS program, due to other EHS kids moving to USHL, or to HF instead of BSM.

(Yes, Im afraid the AHA program might be mediocre until another coach of Trebil caliber appears, to make a run at the AA title. There are some out there who someday might get the urge)

(Yes, there is nothing quite like Richfield Rink 1 for viewing a competitive 1000+ attendance high school game)
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

green4 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:
Now I can throw in my 2 cents. Holy Angels does NOT play on Rink 2. Their games are not affected by the Magicians at all. AHAplays their Saturday games in the afternoon when the Magicians play at night. Like Sat Jan 7, AHA plays Edina at 2:00 and the Magicians play in the evening.
Now to address the players. Take a look at some private schools, where would you rather go to school at a new school like HF or one that is 80 years old, AHA. I am still their number one fan and always will be. Go to all the games.
Trebil leaving was a killer, his coaching and for all of you that like the R word was very good. But along with his leaving and Junior Gold programs getting better they draw from a smaller pool. I thnk coach Palm is doing a good job with his players, they play hard. He also has a good coaching team. One of their biggest issues is the arena does not have a shooting or stick handling area and neither does the school, So the players have to do it at home only. If they can get an area to do this it will help.
This will hopefully change and AHA will get back in contention. I can see them going back to class A, which is where they should be. Not happy about it but that is their spot.
green4

Post by green4 »

Zamman wrote:
green4 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote: Maybe this question has been asked and answered before, but what did happen at Holy Angels that caused them to become irrelevant? They were arguably the best team in the state in the early 2000's, now they regularly lose to teams like Chaska, Kennedy, etc. Is it as simple as Greg Trebil no longer being their HC? Was he a master recruiter, and without him those top end kids go elsewhere? I hope AHA eventually comes back around, because for my money Richfield Ice Arena is one of the top places to watch a heavyweight high school game.
Now I can throw in my 2 cents. Holy Angels does NOT play on Rink 2. Their games are not affected by the Magicians at all. AHAplays their Saturday games in the afternoon when the Magicians play at night. Like Sat Jan 7, AHA plays Edina at 2:00 and the Magicians play in the evening.
Now to address the players. Take a look at some private schools, where would you rather go to school at a new school like HF or one that is 80 years old, AHA. I am still their number one fan and always will be. Go to all the games.
Trebil leaving was a killer, his coaching and for all of you that like the R word was very good. But along with his leaving and Junior Gold programs getting better they draw from a smaller pool. I thnk coach Palm is doing a good job with his players, they play hard. He also has a good coaching team. One of their biggest issues is the arena does not have a shooting or stick handling area and neither does the school, So the players have to do it at home only. If they can get an area to do this it will help.
This will hopefully change and AHA will get back in contention. I can see them going back to class A, which is where they should be. Not happy about it but that is their spot.
My apologies on the rink, I must have a bad source
PaynePhalenGuy

Post by PaynePhalenGuy »

Watched AHA play Johnson on Rink 1 last week.

That said, having used it for a tournament myself, I know that AHA also has a locker room in Rink 2 with the custom "Stars" lockers as well. Guessing maybe JV plays over there, and maybe that's where the confusion came in?
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

PaynePhalenGuy wrote:Watched AHA play Johnson on Rink 1 last week.

That said, having used it for a tournament myself, I know that AHA also has a locker room in Rink 2 with the custom "Stars" lockers as well. Guessing maybe JV plays over there, and maybe that's where the confusion came in?
AHA girls locker room and play on rink 2.