Which Teams do you see as long term perennial contenders ?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which Teams do you see as long term perennial contenders ( next 30 years ) ?

Edina Hornets
55%
Hill Murray Pioneers
14%
Benilde Saint Margaret's Red Knights
14%
Wayzata Trojans
5%
Minnetonka Skippers
No votes
Maple Grove Crimson
No votes
Lakeville North Panthers
5%
Duluth East Greyhounds
5%
Grand Rapids Thunderhawks
5%

Total votes: 22

Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

east hockey wrote:
Zoochu wrote:I am surprised Benilde doesn't get more votes on this poll.

They have a great program, won it in 2012, Ken Pauly seems to be here to stay and they had to cap their enrollment recently because of too many applications so the school seems to do well with enrollment which means they are unlikely to close at any time. They also do have the money needed to get infrastructures and so on.
More votes? They don't have any votes yet.

Lee
haha true, wrong wording I guess.

Now they do, would it be because of the win against Blaine ?

I was at the game, I wanted to check on Benilde with my own eyes.

Kinda disappointed at some of the Benilde student section yelling at the Blaine section that they have money, implying that they're better than Blaine because of their money.

Not that big a deal but not something parents should let their kids say.
TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 »

Zoochu wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Zoochu wrote:I am surprised Benilde doesn't get more votes on this poll.

They have a great program, won it in 2012, Ken Pauly seems to be here to stay and they had to cap their enrollment recently because of too many applications so the school seems to do well with enrollment which means they are unlikely to close at any time. They also do have the money needed to get infrastructures and so on.
More votes? They don't have any votes yet.

Lee

Kinda disappointed at some of the Benilde student section yelling at the Blaine section that they have money, implying that they're better than Blaine because of their money.

I'm sure they hear the Daddys money chant just about every game why not embrace it
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

TheMNhockey1 wrote:
Zoochu wrote:
east hockey wrote: More votes? They don't have any votes yet.

Lee

I'm sure they hear the Daddys money chant just about every game why not embrace it
what do you mean ? Blaine kids hearing it every game ?

You either have class or you don't, showing off and bragging about daddy's money is despicable and classless especially when trying to make others feel bad about themselves.

Humility is a quality !

If my kid was saying stuff like that ( which I understand kids are kids they make mistakes ) I would make a point to correct him once home and tell him how in this family we have a thing called respect / humility and how I gave him an education and expect much better than that from him.

Don't get me wrong I know it's not that huge a deal, I actually like rivalries, but rivalries are so much better when there is mutual respect and class on both sides.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Are you new to the High School hockey scene here Zoochu? If so, The Daddy's money bit is used fairly often by Edina and the Privates. It's part of the charm of what makes HS hockey here great and is really pretty harmless, that there are some schools that everyone else loves to hate and they embrace that they are the despised by everyone else. They are likely just carrying on the tradition of the bit.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

Zoochu wrote:
TheMNhockey1 wrote:
Zoochu wrote: haha true, wrong wording I guess.

what do you mean ? Blaine kids hearing it every game ?

You either have class or you don't, showing off and bragging about daddy's money is despicable and classless especially when trying to make others feel bad about themselves.

Humility is a quality !

If my kid was saying stuff like that ( which I understand kids are kids they make mistakes ) I would make a point to correct him once home and tell him how in this family we have a thing called respect / humility and how I gave him an education and expect much better than that from him.

Don't get me wrong I know it's not that huge a deal, I actually like rivalries, but rivalries are so much better when there is mutual respect and class on both sides.
zoo--get over the money chant thing. It's been going on for 25+ years
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

No worries.

I have to say I'm surprised about 3 things :

1) Wayzata not having won a State title with such numbers.

2) Maple Grove not doing better with almost the same numbers as Wayzata.

3) Minnetonka not having won a state title, with a great youth association as well.

Is anybody surprised about that ? Do you think these teams will win it any time soon ?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Zoochu wrote:No worries.

I have to say I'm surprised about 3 things :

1) Wayzata not having won a State title with such numbers.

2) Maple Grove not doing better with almost the same numbers as Wayzata.

3) Minnetonka not having won a state title, with a great youth association as well.

Is anybody surprised about that ? Do you think these teams will win it any time soon ?
1) No. They need to get rid of current HC and keep more of talent they have in HS to do so.

2) Trying to figure out why MG and Osseo combine for their youth programs with the separate HS. They dominate at squirt and pee wee...why not just separate youth too? They surely have the numbers.

3) Tonka should have won in 2010 with the group they had. I think the current bantam group if they stick together has a real chance of winning HS.
green4

Post by green4 »

I agree with Sats on all three points. I am not too impressed with O'leary over at Wayzata. The way he handled Zimmer is a good example. Obviously, I don't know the whole story there, but he basically gave Zimmer no other choice but to leave. Besides that though, I just don't think his style works well for a team with that much talent each year.

Minnetonka will win a championship before Wayzata. Minnetonka has a good association and a great program. I think Urick is a great coach, and like Sats said, they have some talented players coming in, they will get one soon enough.
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

1) No. They need to get rid of current HC and keep more of talent they have in HS to do so.
I'm curious, what do you both think is the problem with Patrick O'Leary ? Is it his system ?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Zoochu wrote:
I'm curious, what do you both think is the problem with Patrick O'Leary ? Is it his system ?
I think Golden Bear would be the guy to ask on this. He is in the know about Wayzata.

From what I see/hear, it seems as though he tends to isolate his top players e.g. I know last year Max Zimmer was playing 3rd/4th line at times. Kid is a top end talent who committed to Wisconsin as a sophomore and had been a prolific scorer his entire youth career as well. When you have a player like this whether you get along with him or not, (I don't know the background and am simply speculating) you need to find ways to motivate them differently.

No surprise to me that Zimmer who left this year (would have been his Sr yr) is now having a great season in the USHL and is on many NHL scouts radars.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Zoochu wrote:
Not to mention, O'Leary has an embarrassment of riches with that youth/feeder system in Wayzata. He's gotta find a way for those top end kids to WANT to stay.
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

Sats81 wrote:
Zoochu wrote:
Not to mention, O'Leary has an embarrassment of riches with that youth/feeder system in Wayzata. He's gotta find a way for those top end kids to WANT to stay.
So you think it's because of kids not seeing the program as prestigious enough or simply the behavior and people's skills of O'Leary ?