GRapids and Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The winner is....

Rapids
39%
Hornets
61%

Total votes: 18

Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

minnscout wrote:GR dominated for 2 1/2 periods before letting off the gas in the final 6 minutes. 1st 8 minutes off the game Edina could not get the puck out of their own end. Not enough scoring depth on Edina and the D and Goalie are very questionable beyond Phillips and Johnson. Still look to see Edina get much better over the season and be tough out come playoff time. GR showed giod depth up front, still a question on the D. Will need to settle on goalie as season goes forward.
I don't understand how people are giving 2.5 periods to GR.

Were you at the game ?

I was there and I did not see what you people saw.

At least what's shocking to me is that you guys seem to easily give the 1st Period to GR.

I thought the first was a wash with stretches dominated by GR and stretches dominated by Edina. Edina had 3 or 4 very high quality scoring chances. I wouldn't say it was all GR. You can also see it in the stats : 8 shots for GR and 6 shots for Edina. It was close. Also several of these shots by Edina were on 2 on 1's, so great scoring chances.

Second period I totally agree was ALL GR , that's when they did most of the damage, played the entire period in Edina's zone, smothering Hornets.
12 shots for GR and 4 shots for Edina, clearly Edina got killed in this period.

Third was kind of a wash with GR dominating the first half of the third and Edina coming back at the end.
6 shots for GR and 12 shots for Edina although some shots were not quality shots by Edina.

Don't get me wrong, overall the game was dominated by GR because they completely took over the second period by storm. They played a great game and deserved the win, but I just don't understand your analysis of the game which to me, seems exaggerated.
green4

Post by green4 »

Zoochu wrote:
minnscout wrote:GR dominated for 2 1/2 periods before letting off the gas in the final 6 minutes. 1st 8 minutes off the game Edina could not get the puck out of their own end. Not enough scoring depth on Edina and the D and Goalie are very questionable beyond Phillips and Johnson. Still look to see Edina get much better over the season and be tough out come playoff time. GR showed giod depth up front, still a question on the D. Will need to settle on goalie as season goes forward.
but I just don't understand your analysis of the game which to me, seems exaggerated.
By Rapids fans? Impossible
Greenandwhitebobo

Post by Greenandwhitebobo »

I was at the game and agree GR dominated the game. In particular breakout/forecheck significantly favored GR. I would disagree that Edina D is questionable. 1st and 2nd pairings of D are good. To me it was general intensity of the team. Not a lot of desire to give/take hits and to compete when pressed. They look and play young. Two cents...
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Zoochu, yes of course I was there and I wrote what I remembered and saw last night. You make some good points however, and people have different impressions. Regarding the blown Rapids D which resulted in some two on one chances by the Hornets in the first period which helped equalize SOGS: although those didn't amount to much minute wise , I supposed they pointed to a brief Rapids weakness which somewhat reduced their overall clear game dominance. Looking forward to your thoughts tonight
Zoochu

Post by Zoochu »

WestMetro wrote:Zoochu, yes of course I was there and I wrote what I remembered and saw last night. You make some good points however, and people have different impressions. Regarding the blown Rapids D which resulted in some two on one chances by the Hornets in the first period which helped equalize SOGS: although those didn't amount to much minute wise , I supposed they pointed to a brief Rapids weakness which somewhat reduced their overall clear game dominance. Looking forward to your thoughts tonight
Sure, I guess people get different impressions.

I will be at the game tonight to watch Hornets play against Elk River.

I don't think I'll make it in time to watch EP vs Grand Rapids, too bad, I would have liked to watch that one.

Edina need to perform better than what they've shown so far if they want to make it to the state, especially with the new section.