Class A Quarterfinal: Spring Lake Park vs. #1 Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Panthers
14%
Hawks
86%

Total votes: 37

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

karl(east) wrote:You'd think an STAA fan would remember whether there's running time in Tourney games or not. :wink: (There is, and we need a 6-goal lead to roll the clock in the 3rd.)
Haha some of those games were so brutal and traumatic I've wiped them from my memory. :lol:

Crossing my fingers that the Breck/Apollo game will be good. Otherwise it sounds like the semis/final will be the only 3 competitive games in A this year.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

thestickler07 wrote:Crossing my fingers that the Breck/Apollo game will be good. Otherwise it sounds like the semis/final will be the only 3 competitive games in A this year.
I thought the first two games in Class A were more competitive than usual, at least since they started seeding the teams. This one is not. Spring Lake Park should be congratulated for winning their section and getting to State, but they are clearly out of their league in this game.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

What was Plante doing playing his best line with less than two minutes to go against the back-up goalie? Hermantown scored their last two goals then. Not a lot of class exhibited by this guy.
MissotaGopher14

Post by MissotaGopher14 »

Good lord 44 was one of the worst hockey players I've ever seen. Reminds me of the small towns who have football players tryout for hockey just because they're big, dumb and slow
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

Guys go back and look at the game again. Plante started his soph. Goalie in the 3rd. His 1st line don't see much ice in the 3rd. EGK, st Thomas, I could go on ran the score up on 1st round games in past years. These are the last 3 games and the final is the prize the players still have to be in the game to be ready for the next game.

If you want to point fingers at classless people look to the ones who gutted section 5A, they are now a lot like 1aa used to be like not to many years ago.

Plante in my book is still one of the best coaches in the state regardless of what any of you think.
Jumbolaya

Post by Jumbolaya »

HockeyBum wrote:His 1st line don't see much ice in the 3rd. EGK, st Thomas, I could go on ran the score up on 1st round games in past years. These are the last 3 games and the final is the prize the players still have to be in the game to be ready for the next game.
Maybe the first line didn't see much time overall in the third period, but they should definitely have their butts planted firmly on the bench with under two minutes to go. Putting Pionk and Kero out there to finish off hat tricks is garbage. Plante was lucky that one of his top players wasn't injured, as no one would blame SLP for getting chippy at the end after Hermantown insisted on rubbing salt in the wound.
Windmill31

Post by Windmill31 »

HockeyBum wrote:Guys go back and look at the game again. Plante started his soph. Goalie in the 3rd. His 1st line don't see much ice in the 3rd. EGK, st Thomas, I could go on ran the score up on 1st round games in past years. These are the last 3 games and the final is the prize the players still have to be in the game to be ready for the next game.

If you want to point fingers at classless people look to the ones who gutted section 5A, they are now a lot like 1aa used to be like not to many years ago.

Plante in my book is still one of the best coaches in the state regardless of what any of you think.
He may or may not be a good coach, I'm not sure I don't know him, but what his players did with two minutes left was classless. That goalie saw 4 shots...4 shots and 2 of them went in! How embarrassed would you be? Maybe if the starter was still in you could attempt to throw a couple shots on goal but it's not the time to be making a move to the net. Settle it down and pass it around a few times until the clock wipes out. Just brutal watching that sophomore get shelled twice.

I agree however that section 5 needs to be revamped...that section makes me shake my head
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Windmill31 wrote:
HockeyBum wrote:Guys go back and look at the game again. Plante started his soph. Goalie in the 3rd. His 1st line don't see much ice in the 3rd. EGK, st Thomas, I could go on ran the score up on 1st round games in past years. These are the last 3 games and the final is the prize the players still have to be in the game to be ready for the next game.

He may or may not be a good coach, I'm not sure I don't know him, but what his players did with two minutes left was classless. That goalie saw 4 shots...4 shots and 2 of them went in! How embarrassed would you be? Maybe if the starter was still in you could attempt to throw a couple shots on goal but it's not the time to be making a move to the net. Settle it down and pass it around a few times until the clock wipes out. Just brutal watching that sophomore get shelled twice.

I agree however that section 5 needs to be revamped...that section makes me shake my head
Hermantown had its backup goalie out and the 3rd and 4th line out most of the 3rd and much of the 2nd. You have the #1 seed playing #8 from section 5 folks. 1st line was sitting most of the 3rd they got him to this point so he let them out. It certainly wasn't a given that they would score but they did. It's hockey, not tiddlywinks. SLP will be fine. Congrats to SLP they played a good game and good luck in the Breck game.
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

pekyman wrote:
Windmill31 wrote:

Hermantown had its backup goalie out and the 3rd and 4th line out most of the 3rd and much of the 2nd. You have the #1 seed playing #8 from section 5 folks. 1st line was sitting most of the 3rd they got him to this point so he let them out. It certainly wasn't a given that they would score but they did. It's hockey, not tiddlywinks. SLP will be fine. Congrats to SLP they played a good game and good luck in the Breck game.
10 sog - that has to be some kind of record in the state tournament.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Windmill31 wrote:

In defense of Coach Plante, he said after the game he was going for the 10 run rule so he could end the game and rest his top line for Friday. He's going to need them against the St. Cloud Apollo Juggernaut.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

I believe Ikala has the record for lowest shots on goal at one back in the day. As for the Soph. goalie. I will bet he is pissed he let two in but I also bet he will never forget playing in the state tourney.

With Plante's verbal exposure over the years he deserves everything. If any of you na sayer's are are bored there are two other posts on this forum you would probably like, the one on Bully's and the 40+ page Private School Trash Talk.

If all of the talent leaves for AA the all of A will be the likes of 5A, I dont think that is positive and good for the game either.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Breck with a good 1-0 win over SLP

Sounds like a case of Hermantown being at another level...
nahc

Post by nahc »

How about a shout out to Spring Lake Park!!!! They get beat up pretty good by Hermantown and then come back today and lose 1-0...... That speaks well for the whole team!!!