Midwest Xposure or Gopher State Festival Tourney?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Daaden

Midwest Xposure or Gopher State Festival Tourney?

Post by Daaden »

Don't know much about these two March invite tournaments, but which would you recommend? They both take place on the same weekend.

Any idea how hard it is to get in to the Midwest Xposure?

Thanks. Happy Hockey Day!
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Neither, give me your excess cash...lol :lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

preferhockey wrote:Neither, give me your excess cash...lol :lol:
lol. no doubt!
OU812

Post by OU812 »

I wouldn't go quite that far; the elite league runs this tournament with SSM, and if you are a HS player hoping to get an elite league tryout, this is a decent opportunity to show why you deserve a look.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

OU812 wrote:I wouldn't go quite that far; the elite league runs this tournament with SSM, and if you are a HS player hoping to get an elite league tryout, this is a decent opportunity to show why you deserve a look.
So, you have to pay hundreds of dollars, and if from out of town, even more, just to hope to get a spot in a *tryout*...................

Sounds like just another money making scam to me.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

I participated in the Gopher State Festival and I thought it was worth my time/money. Scouts were in attendance as well. Not a plethora, but enough to make it worth while. The level of competition wasn't bad either.

As for Xposure, in speaking with my coach about your exact question while in high school, he had advised me to lean toward Gopher State. This coach said to me the Xposure tournament is primarily a money-maker.

Also, worth considering about the difficulty of being invited to Xposure - there were ten teams last year; twelve in years past. Typically a high number of teams means a high number of players participating, which means more money for the tournament. Many players will receive the invite, it's just whether they want to pay the fee (which if I recall was pretty steep...)

That aside though, there is a better turn-out scouting wise at Xposure. Naturally with it being at Shattuck and being tied to the Elite League, it brings more notoriety.

As for which to choose, it really depends on what you are looking for. If advancement toward the Elite League/high scouting is priority and cost isn't an issue, choose Xposure. If you are looking for a more "grounded" tournament, a little less popular but still a good turnout, I'd suggest Gopher State.

Hopefully this gives some insight, though being as I chose Gopher State, I may be slightly biased.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

So, you have to pay hundreds of dollars, and if from out of town, even more, just to hope to get a spot in a *tryout*..................."

No, you don't have to. You can just throw the invite away if you want.

But if you want to compare these two tournaments, you can keep the Xposure elite league connection in mind.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

OU812 wrote:So, you have to pay hundreds of dollars, and if from out of town, even more, just to hope to get a spot in a *tryout*..................."

No, you don't have to. You can just throw the invite away if you want.

But if you want to compare these two tournaments, you can keep the Xposure elite league connection in mind.
A. It wasn't me asking the question about the leagues.

B. My statement was a general statement of the silliness of having to spend big money on a tournament....................on the hopes of getting an *invite* to *tryout* for....................another tournament ?
Yeah, that make's sense. :roll: Fool and his money, etc.
Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 »

xposure by far.Anyone can sign up for gopher fest. weak teams few scouts . they had a hard finding players last year.
Daaden

Post by Daaden »

Thanks for the input. I know that someone is making a little money on these events, but I'm fine with that if we can add another 4 or 5 quality games to the end of the short high school season.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Daaden wrote:Thanks for the input. I know that someone is making a little money on these events, but I'm fine with that if we can add another 4 or 5 quality games to the end of the short high school season.

:idea: That's the right way to look at it. $210 for 4-5 games over a weekend at Gopher State ....... big deal .... not like they all haven't dropped 2-3X more than that for an out of town squirt (or other youth) tournament once or twice in their lives or a composite stick or two :lol:

As for the Xposure tournment....IMHO, you either have a marquee name already and don't need the "xtra xposure" or you know someone that will get you a tryout in the Fall. If neither of these are true, the $1000 bucks or so you will spend on the fee, travel, and hotel for the weekend probably won't buy you a tryout.

If you are looking to play for the extra games and maybe a scout or two, seems to me Gopher State would be the way to go. If you are looking to make the Elite League in the Fall......seems like a better way to spend your money would be to support your local youth hockey at the local pull tab booth and maybe you will get lucky there.
The Talon

Post by The Talon »

Is it the same tryout process for goalies too?
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

No tryout, send your money and your signed up.

Now next are Junior tryouts, same joke less than 5% of kids make teams. Thats a fact Jack!
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Anyone know when they normally announce the teams and game schedule? I wonder if they are struggling to fill rosters? Looks like the games times are set on the website but no mention of participants.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Task Force 34 wrote:Anyone know when they normally announce the teams and game schedule? I wonder if they are struggling to fill rosters? Looks like the games times are set on the website but no mention of participants.
Coaches from each region put together teams - it wasn't a purely application process, although I'm sure those helped fill out the rosters.
justhavefun

Post by justhavefun »

past reviews on the Gopher State, from my experience, is that the Sophomore group is a strong tounament with most the top 10th grade players in the state, partly due to theres not much else out there comcentrating on this age group. all these type of tournaments are more for fun and the experience rather then the exposure. just have fun.
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

I don't know anything about the tournament but I spoke with one of the sophomore coaches at the X last week and he was still looking for players. His comment most of the teams at all levels were still trying to fill their rosters.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Let the spring season begin since golf balls won't fly outside for another 6 weeks. Looking at what's posted so far I'd say the Xposure tournament must have better draw appeal since the rosters appear full with more teams. IMHO though the X looks to be truly a Whose Who??? if you get the humor. Maybe 2 or 3 recognizable names per team but NOWHERE near the quality this tournament used to pull just a few years back. In comparison the Gopher State tourney (only has North and West rosters up) appears to be deeper with talent. Thoughts?
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Yeah. Not much for name recognition in either tourney. Team north should be renamed NW. Not much NE there but good luck to EgF
skills_coach1

Post by skills_coach1 »

Well, all teams are posted on Gopher state festival now, I would agree, it seems as though the talent is there. It is a recreational tourney... It hopefully is fun for the kids participating and potentially enables a few folks to watch... I know they have had difficulty with players committing to both tourneys this time of year. With some teams just finishing up at the X and others with other sports starting up, I got to believe getting firm commits from some is a chore..

Should be fun to watch in either case.

The North, South, East, West boundaries have to be interesting... That much I know.. :)
justhavefun

Post by justhavefun »

just reviewing the sophomore names it seems to list the majoity of sophomores who played regular roles on their varsity teams. i see a few i personally know who played only JV.

the JR / SR group, probably to many other elite options or Junior tryouts so the higher end players by-pass this tournament.

remember it all just for fun anyway.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

So how many scouts were at the Sat/Sun Exposure? Heard that on Friday two had actually signed in.
Sk8 Str8

Post by Sk8 Str8 »

Hoping to see the stats from Xposure any day now...
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Xposure posted their stats on their website. Curious to know what's up with all the older goaltenders - Brian Anderson (Maple Grove MNJHL), Joey Bergquist (MNJHL Breezy Point), Paige Skoog (NAHL). Has this become more of a juniors level tournament?
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

NLHockey wrote:Xposure posted their stats on their website. Curious to know what's up with all the older goaltenders - Brian Anderson (Maple Grove MNJHL), Joey Bergquist (MNJHL Breezy Point), Paige Skoog (NAHL). Has this become more of a juniors level tournament?

More likely, a shortage of goalie bodies for the weekend.

But that's just a guess.