2014 AP All State Team Announced

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puck to the head

2014 AP All State Team Announced

Post by Puck to the head »

2014 All State team announced by AP.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/249372191.html

The Associated Press 2014 All-State team for Minnesota boys hockey:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Avery Peterson, Grand Rapids

FIRST TEAM
F_Avery Peterson, sr, Grand Rapids
F_Jake Wahlin, jr, White Bear Lake
F_Zach Yon, sr, Roseau
D_Nick Wolff, sr, Eagan
D_Luc Snuggerud, sr, Eden Prairie
G_Zach Driscoll, jr, Eastview

SECOND TEAM
F_Miguel Fidler, sr, Edina
F_Tommy Novak, jr, St. Thomas Academy
F_Brock Boeser, jr, Burnsville
D_Tyler Nanne, sr, Edina
D_Travis Brown, sr, Rogers
G_Vaughan Arens, jr, Wayzata
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

No Spinner, No Shepard, No Lindgren, No Slattery.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Sats81 wrote:No Spinner, No Shepard, No Lindgren, No Slattery.
No Malmquist
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
No Malmquist
Definite snub there. Especially after his performance at tourney.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

Definitely take out both goalies and put in Shepard and Lindgren.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Sats81 wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:
No Malmquist
Definite snub there. Especially after his performance at tourney.
Same for Lindgren and his tourney performance.
cake83

Post by cake83 »

MNhockey29 wrote:Definitely take out both goalies and put in Shepard and Lindgren.
I know I'm being a homer, but Andrew Rohkohl for Edina really deserves more recognition than he gets.

He gave up as few goals as Eastview and Eagan during the regular season and the Hornets played a significantly harder schedule. On top of that, he was excellent in the tournament and even played a statistically better game than Lindgren when Edina and Eagan played.

I'm not saying Rohkohl deserves this recognition more than the other kids, but he doesn't seem to get added to the conversation as much as I think he should.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

cake83 wrote:
MNhockey29 wrote:Definitely take out both goalies and put in Shepard and Lindgren.
I know I'm being a homer, but Andrew Rohkohl for Edina really deserves more recognition than he gets.

He gave up as few goals as Eastview and Eagan during the regular season and the Hornets played a significantly harder schedule. On top of that, he was excellent in the tournament and even played a statistically better game than Lindgren when Edina and Eagan played.

I'm not saying Rohkohl deserves this recognition more than the other kids, but he doesn't seem to get added to the conversation as much as I think he should.
Sorry, but compared to Lingo he had a higher GAA, fewer shutouts, and a lower save %. And fewer stacked-pad Tourney saves against breakaway attempts. :)
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

The 12 listed look pretty damn good to me.

Got to admit though. Surprised that the Pioneer Press player of the year made the 1st team, while the Star Tribune player of the year only made the 2nd team. :idea: Does this mean the PP does know something about hockey? :lol:
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

BodyShots wrote:The 12 listed look pretty damn good to me.

Got to admit though. Surprised that the Pioneer Press player of the year made the 1st team, while the Star Tribune player of the year only made the 2nd team. :idea: Does this mean the PP does know something about hockey? :lol:
Yup. Just like all of the best hockey players in the state live within the Pioneer Press's "East Metro" circulation area. :lol: :lol:
cake83

Post by cake83 »

almostashappy wrote:
cake83 wrote:

Sorry, but compared to Lingo he had a higher GAA, fewer shutouts, and a lower save %. And fewer stacked-pad Tourney saves against breakaway attempts. :)
I understand and I get why he wouldn't be awarded top honors, but a higher GAA, fewer shutouts, and a lower save % is all explained by tougher competition.

Rohkohl had to play 14 games against teams that either finished in the top 10 rankings or appeared in the state tournament. Lindgren only played 5.

I get that his stats look great but padding your numbers against an easy schedule seems to cloud the issue a bit. Against the same opponents, Rohkohl's stats look better. Edina only gave up 2 goals to LN but Eagan gave up 4 goals both times they played them. Edina gave up 2 goals to Prior Lake, Eagan gave up 4. Edina gave up 1 to Jefferson and Eagan let in 4. Edina beat Eden Prairie 3 times this year giving up an average of 2 goals per game and Eagan gave up 4 goals to them in the third place game.

When you compare their performances against tougher teams, Rohkohl's stats look better.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

cake83 wrote: I get that his stats look great but padding your numbers against an easy schedule seems to cloud the issue a bit. Against the same opponents, Rohkohl's stats look better. Edina only gave up 2 goals to LN but Eagan gave up 4 goals both times they played them. Edina gave up 2 goals to Prior Lake, Eagan gave up 4. Edina gave up 1 to Jefferson and Eagan let in 4. Edina beat Eden Prairie 3 times this year giving up an average of 2 goals per game and Eagan gave up 4 goals to them in the third place game.

When you compare their performances against tougher teams, Rohkohl's stats look better.
Oh, cakie, cakie, cakie..... :lol:

Well, then, who had the better game the first time Eagan and Edina met?

Who had the better game when Rohkohl squared up against Shepherd during the Edina Classic? I suppose you'd ignore Hunter's 60 save night and say Andrew was better, because he gave up fewer goals? :wink:

To claim that Lindgren padded his stats with an "easy schedule" ignores reality.

Lindgren made some truly insane saves during the 3rd place game. To negatively compare that performance against Rohkohl's two regular season tilts against EP brings your homerism up to an entirely new level.
:lol:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I do have to say, to my surprise, that Rohkohl had alot better year than I was expecting and to win a State title is impressive. I think Lindgren does a good job. But was surprised by Rohkohl. I thought Edina wouldn't make it threw sections.

And I will say the Bumblebees schedule was the toughest in the State. Got to give the kid some credit.
cake83

Post by cake83 »

almostashappy wrote:
cake83 wrote: I get that his stats look great but padding your numbers against an easy schedule seems to cloud the issue a bit. Against the same opponents, Rohkohl's stats look better. Edina only gave up 2 goals to LN but Eagan gave up 4 goals both times they played them. Edina gave up 2 goals to Prior Lake, Eagan gave up 4. Edina gave up 1 to Jefferson and Eagan let in 4. Edina beat Eden Prairie 3 times this year giving up an average of 2 goals per game and Eagan gave up 4 goals to them in the third place game.

Who had the better game when Rohkohl squared up against Shepherd during the Edina Classic? I suppose you'd ignore Hunter's 60 save night and say Andrew was better, because he gave up fewer goals? :wink:

To claim that Lindgren padded his stats with an "easy schedule" ignores reality.

Lindgren made some truly insane saves during the 3rd place game. To negatively compare that performance against Rohkohl's two regular season tilts against EP brings your homerism up to an entirely new level.
I was expecting a strong reply from you :D

I'll go back to where I started - I'm not saying he is better and I don't think he is MORE deserving than the other kids, but he almost never gets mentioned and he had a very impressive season.

I didn't watch much other than Edina this year so I will be the first to admit that I don't have much to go off of, but Rohkohl's stats seem pretty impressive when you measure the teams he was facing. I only know Lindgren from the state tournament and he played amazing in both games I watched. You absolutely have me beat when you talk about break away goals defended and quality of saves. The best argument against Rohkohl's accomplishments are when you measure the quality of Edina's offense and defense (both making life a lot easier on him).

I really don't mean for this to read as if I'm saying Rohkohl IS better, just that he deserves to be in the discussion with the rest of the talent in MN.

As far as you taking exception to my accusation that Eagan played a much easier schedule, I don't see what the problem is. Edina faced "top teams" three times as often as Eagan (and it was three wins against EP, not two - I wouldn't have corrected you for any other team but I love reminding people just how often we beat EP).
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SuperStar wrote:I do have to say, to my surprise, that Rohkohl had alot better year than I was expecting and to win a State title is impressive. I think Lindgren does a good job. But was surprised by Rohkohl. I thought Edina wouldn't make it threw sections.

And I will say the Bumblebees schedule was the toughest in the State. Got to give the kid some credit.
I'll launch a preemptive English language lesson while cake is gathering evidence that Eagan did, in fact, have an "easy schedule" :)

Edina had one of the toughest schedules in the State. Eagan's schedule was clearly and unarguably easier than Edina's.

But...."easier" is not synonymous with "easy." :wink:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

almostashappy wrote:
SuperStar wrote:I do have to say, to my surprise, that Rohkohl had alot better year than I was expecting and to win a State title is impressive. I think Lindgren does a good job. But was surprised by Rohkohl. I thought Edina wouldn't make it threw sections.

I'll launch a preemptive English language lesson while cake is gathering evidence that Eagan did, in fact, have an "easy schedule" :)

Edina had one of the toughest schedules in the State. Eagan's schedule was clearly and unarguably easier than Edina's.

I have learned something new today, Thank you. Listen, I am not a BIG fan of either team, but respect each teams style, skill and coaching.

But Cake does have a point with the Rohkohl boy not getting enough credit...He had a great year and with the toughest schedule in the state and won the whole ball of wax - Not much more to be said.

And yes, while Eagan schedule was a tad "eaiser" it wasn't "easy" ;)
OneMoreYear

Post by OneMoreYear »

almostashappy wrote:

Did almosthappy just accuse someone else of homerism?!?!? Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.[/i]
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

OneMoreYear wrote: Did almosthappy just accuse someone else of homerism?!?!? Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.[/i]
Actually, it's more like the Pot repeating how the Kettle self-identified himself......
:)
cake83

Post by cake83 »

almostashappy wrote:

It's simple really. Edina's opponents had winning percentage of 64%. Eagan's opponents had a winning percentage of 56%. Doesn't sound significant? Edina's opponents won 51 more games than Eagan's and that includes the fact that they lost to Edina 1-3 times during the year. Additionally, Eagan played 3 single A opponents during the year (all of which, they won).

To go even further, Eagan played 12 games during the year against teams with a losing record and another 3 with teams that finished right around .500

Even mild competition seemed to slow them down. In loses, Eagan's opponents have an average winning percentage of 66% compared to Edina's 75%.

What was probably most shocking was that Eagan only beat 5 double A (AA) opponents that had a winning record whereas Edina beat 15.

You were right, however, that this becomes a game of word-play. I said they played an "easy" schedule, and you want to classify it as an "easier" schedule. It's all the same really. Edina's schedule this year is nothing new to them. They always seek out the best competition, and Eagan consistently seeks easier opponents during the year so that their record or padded stats can create some buzz (no pun intended).
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

Cake, Rohkohl has very much inflated stats this year and it does not have to do with who they play. I am pretty sure that you would agree that he was playing behind one of the state's best defenses and was again last year when he got time. He saw on average 24 shots a game this year and lets be honest Edina's D does not let teams have very good looks on net so he was saving easier shots then lets say Shep who saw 32 shots on average and had a less experience D corps in front of him and still had great numbers. Rohkohl is a serviceable goaltender and is good enough to win state but he is not of the elite category and yes I saw Edina play over 10 times this year.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

cake83 wrote: You were right, however, that this becomes a game of word-play. I said they played an "easy" schedule, and you want to classify it as an "easier" schedule. It's all the same really. Edina's schedule this year is nothing new to them. They always seek out the best competition, and Eagan consistently seeks easier opponents during the year so that their record or padded stats can create some buzz (no pun intended).
Are you serious? Padding stats and creating buzz...that was the Wildcats' goals as they filled out their schedule this year?

Ever heard of a conference schedule? Seventeen SSC games taken off the table before you even start to consider lining up non-conference games. That left eight games to "pad" our stats and "create some buzz." So let's run down the line-up (and correct your Edina math on the number of single A teams).

1. Farmington (Created some waves this year, will be in SSC next year). I think they replaced Single A opponent Hibbing in this year's schedule. An upgrade in level of difficulty? I think so.

2. Hastings (Section 3AA opponent, has been on Eagan's regular season schedule since the dawn of time).

3. Edina. Yeah, we really sought out a patsy here, didn't we? :lol: Took Tonka's slot in the schedule as the designated Lake conference opponent this year. An upgrade, no?

4. East Ridge. Section 3AA opponent, and played them last year as well.

5. CDH - Section 3AA opponent. They replaced H-M on the non-conference schedule. You can say that we sought out an easier opponent here, but most rational people would understand the benefit of playing one of the best teams in your section during the regular season. Or is there some other reason why Edina played B-ville this year?

Then there's the SSP Premier Tourney...

game 1: New Prague. A single A opponent (gasp!) who just happened to go to the State Tourney.

game 2: Woodbury. 2A opponent in the same section.

game 3: Hermantown. Another single A opponent (double gasp!!) who just happened to go to State.

Go ahead an rip on Eagan's coach for putting his team in a weak holiday tournament...nobody else has this year, and I kind of miss hearing that one. Gets me all sentimental for years past, when HHF was defending the royal blue line against similar complaints.

Oh, but let's dig even deeper, you say, and dump on Eagan because they didn't have the best regular season? Let's recap all of the games they lost against lesser opponents!

Whatever flips your cake layers, sparky. Eagan was a barely-above average team over a good part of the season. Never cracked karl's top ten during the regular season. Thanks for doing the research to prove what everybody on this forum already knew. :roll:

I'm sure that when the Eagan players and coaches reflect back on the last five months, they'll focus more on how the season started than how it ended, and (with your helpful research) consider the season a failure. #-o
cake83

Post by cake83 »

almostashappy wrote:
So let's run down the line-up (and correct your Edina math on the number of single A teams).

1. Farmington (Created some waves this year, will be in SSC next year). I think they replaced Single A opponent Hibbing in this year's schedule. An upgrade in level of difficulty? I think so.

2. Hastings (Section 3AA opponent, has been on Eagan's regular season schedule since the dawn of time).

3. Edina. Yeah, we really sought out a patsy here, didn't we? :lol: Took Tonka's slot in the schedule as the designated Lake conference opponent this year. An upgrade, no?

4. East Ridge. Section 3AA opponent, and played them last year as well.

5. CDH - Section 3AA opponent. They replaced H-M on the non-conference schedule. You can say that we sought out an easier opponent here, but most rational people would understand the benefit of playing one of the best teams in your section during the regular season. Or is there some other reason why Edina played B-ville this year?

Then there's the SSP Premier Tourney...

game 1: New Prague. A single A opponent (gasp!) who just happened to go to the State Tourney.

game 2: Woodbury. 2A opponent in the same section.

game 3: Hermantown. Another single A opponent (double gasp!!) who just happened to go to State.

Go ahead an rip on Eagan's coach for putting his team in a weak holiday tournament...nobody else has this year, and I kind of miss hearing that one. Gets me all sentimental for years past, when HHF was defending the royal blue line against similar complaints.
#-o
I must have struck a nerve... I see now that with a soft conference, a soft mid season tournament, and soft section opponents that you've "played since the dawn of time," then yes, your schedule is well defended.

And since I usually have to explain things in simple terms for you to make sense of my posts, Bloomington Kennedy now skates in single A so my "edina math" is spot on (though this should be no surprise if you have ever looked at our standardized testing, SAT, or ACT scores).
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

cake83 wrote: I must have struck a nerve... I see now that with a soft conference, a soft mid season tournament, and soft section opponents that you've "played since the dawn of time," then yes, your schedule is well defended.

And since I usually have to explain things in simple terms for you to make sense of my posts, Bloomington Kennedy now skates in single A so my "edina math" is spot on (though this should be no surprise if you have ever looked at our standardized testing, SAT, or ACT scores).
Sorry, Einstein, but I'm done feeding the trolls. Try to convince somebody else that Mike Taylor dictates his school's conference affiliation and his team's non-conference schedule just so he can create buzz and allow his goalie to pad his stats. [-(
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

almostashappy wrote:
cake83 wrote: I must have struck a nerve... I see now that with a soft conference, a soft mid season tournament, and soft section opponents that you've "played since the dawn of time," then yes, your schedule is well defended.

Sorry, Einstein, but I'm done feeding the trolls. Try to convince somebody else that Mike Taylor dictates his school's conference affiliation and his team's non-conference schedule just so he can create buzz and allow his goalie to pad his stats. [-(
To anyone who thinks Eagan had a soft schedule, I say "leggo the crack pipe!"

http://minnhock.com/strength.htm

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

This is good!!! Let me get a nice glass of wine and sit back and enjoy this banter! I think it's a toss up at this point maybe a slight edge to happy in defending. My two cents. Eagan winning third at state is a great accomplishment. A true testament to a group of kids who worked hard all year and peaked at the right time As to Edina. They were the best this year case closed. Continue the banter as I love your choice of words analogies and subtle jabs. GB