Section 3A (2013-2014)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ThatHockeyGuy

Post by ThatHockeyGuy »

Revier played well for Willmar… Possibly new starter? Or competition for Willmar's senior Goosmann?
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Chalk_Talk wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Right now Luverne is in a no win situation....

I don't think Chalk Talk did any research there. ( I am in no way defending Luverne just pointing out the Stats)
I must be missing something? All I said is that that have scored the most goals in the 3rd period, is that wong? I did the same amount of research you did. Over half of the games Luverne has played has been in running time in the 3rd. I'm not ripping them, i just not see the 4th line or the 3rd set of D putting up points in the 3rd period. Instead their top D-man has a trick?? And I'm rooting for the cards!

I think you need to do some research on the game of hockey. Please tell what other research I should have done.
OR, since quite a few of the games are basically over by the third period, A MAJORITY of the shots are coming from the point (and Toby has a Mini-Nuclear bomb of a shot). Luverne prefers low possession and won't pass up a nice point shot, but typically is working the shots lower in the zone earlier on in the games. I don't know... maybe someone should as "Trout" what they think as the level of expert Hockey Knowledge obviously trumps everyone else on all matters of 3A. :roll:
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Are there any big games today or tomorrow? Besides Luverne and Achiever, while luverne attempts to make a statement.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:Are there any big games today or tomorrow? Besides Luverne and Achiever, while luverne attempts to make a statement.
Hutch and Litch, while hutch is the favorite, its a rivalry game. Anything can happen in a rivalry game!

Im interested to see what St. Peter does with Marshall tonight too.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Will Hitch's "dominant" forwards be able to get the puck past Wahl? I think Hutch pulls it off 4-3. I think St. Peter upsets Marshall 4-2!
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

If St. Peter beats Marshall is it really a upset?
hockeyfan26

Post by hockeyfan26 »

I'll take Hutch over Litch 4-2, and St. Peter over Marshall 4-1
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I suppose you're right Cherrypicker. I guess it wouldn't be classified as an upset if Marshall lost to St. Peter. Since St Peter already beat New Ulm. Marshall could his them a shot though, I believe.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

marshall can win tonight. bulldogs arnt as skilled as luverne or new ulm not as strong as hutch. the eagles really blew it on special teams when they played st peter. hutch over litch unless litch forwards light it up, hey they might
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

tonight from Hutchinson:

Hutch- 6
LDC- 3

Cowger with 4 on the night
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

interesting to see:

Lesueur beat Marshall 5-0 tonight

Hutch beat up on Litch 6-3
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I don't think Marshall has a shot this year. For campion to get hot he needs some decent defenseman and forwards who can score. They don't have that. They have no forwards who can score like Hutch, New Ulm, Willmar, and Luverne. Getting shut out by St Peter? Come on Man.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

marshalls strength this year is the defensemen and the forwards arnt going to score unless they get out of their own zone.
hutch hasfound the back of the net.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

According to FollowThePuck, Luverne is leading Achiever 2-0 in the third..killing off two 5 minute major penalties.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

They actually won. 2-1, shots were pretty even 26-27 Achiever.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Officials killed the flow of this game. Similar to Luverne v st. Peter early in the year. Luverne was shorthanded most of the game. Unfortunate when that happens.
Cards roll on.
ThatHockeyGuy

Post by ThatHockeyGuy »

Willmar STRUGGLING without a solid tendy in net. Lost 4-2 to a mediocre Park Rapids team. They outshot Park Rapids 40-20. Now 4-4
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greetings and Happy Holidays

Well as we head into Christmas Break Quarter One of Section 3A Hockey is over. We will grade out the teams below.

Next Week is the Mid-Term Exam for as many teams’ head to their respective Holiday Tournaments. Then it will be back to the books or should I say Ice for the 2nd Quarter as teams prep and work before the Finals or Playoffs Strike.

Section 3A Rankings as of (12-22-13)
1. Luverne (10-0-0)
2. New Ulm Area (4-3-0)
3. Hutchinson (4-2-0)
4. Willmar (4-4-0)
5. LDC (4-5-0)
6. Marshall (3-5-0)
7. Windom (4-5-0)
8. Worthington (2-7-0)
9. Morris Benson (0-8-0)
10. Redwood Valley (0-6-0)
11. Fairmont (0-6-0)

“A” Grades
Luverne-
Has had great offense depth with Seniors Norman and Olson and then some solid Underclassman plus the Dynamic Duo of (Super Sophomore Smedsrud & 8th Grade Phenom Nelson). They have had gotten a better defensive effort then I thought they would at the start of the year. Led by Electric Junior Sengvongxay on the point. They have gotten some solid tending from both Meyer and Crabtree. The team is undefeated for now and on top. Schedule strength has been questioned but we will get a much clearer picture of them after Jan 11th (Play Schwan Cup, Marshall & Willmar).

“B” Grades
New Ulm-
has great a great offense as well led by Davis, Helget, Peterson and Huffman. The Two Kraus boys add depth along with Kopacek. Brach Kraus has been very solid in the nets after early season jitters. Their Defense remains a big question mark. They will have to shore the back end up as the season progresses or that could haunt them in the Playoffs. New Ulm looks to be getting as the season has gone along and I look for them to be a major threat come playoff time.

Hutchinson- Their top end guys of Cowger, Adams and Collings are very solid. They are still searching for the much-needed depth that in their lineup just need to find the right combos. On the Defensive side they have good athletes and players led by Maceman. They just need to learn to play more disciplined in their system. The big question mark for the Tigers is in the nets. Allen has been very shaky all year and the Sophomore Nelson was overwhelmed in his debut. In order for Hutch to win three games in the playoffs they will need better goaltending. Allen the senior looks to be who they will go to and he needs to be better. If he can get better the Tigers are very dangerous.

Willmar- The loss of Gooseman in the nets has really hurt the Cards. They will need to get him healthy as soon as possibly. This is a very senior laden team that plays a tough schedule and gets great coaching. Once they get Gooseman back look out for Willmar. They will be tough as nails come playoffs. They are still looking for a go to scorer this year. They play a solid game in all three zones of the ice they will be a tough out for anyone in 3A come playoff time

“C” Grades
LDC-
They have a nice trio of Sophomores to build with in Raisanen, Pedersen & Haugo. They lack offense depth as right now after the Raisanen/Pedersen line they don’t have much offensive spark. What they lack for in talent they up woth and just grit and hustle. They have a solid tender in Senior Wahl who can be a difference maker in the nets. They will need to get more steady prodiction on offense though for them to be a serious contender. Could they pull an upset yes but without consistent offense they will not be able to win three games.

Marshall- Campion is their whole team right now. They work hard in front of him in the Dzone. They just are really lacking any offensive threats at this moment for the tigers. Moran, Bell and Buysse have had good games at the weaker 3A teams but nothing really to show vs. the cream of the top in this section. If they want to be a serious threat come playoff time they will need to find more offense. Sad part is many of their top players this year are seniors.

“D” Grades
Windom-
Has underachieved this year and gets a D for just dreadful Dzone and goaltending this year. They have talent up front but they cannot compete givien up 8 , 9, 10 goals in games vs. the decent teams in this section.

Worthington- Has Overachieved they only have 10 skaters but they work very hard and have been competitive this year. They will win a few more games against the bottom half of the section. They work hard just lack the depth needed to seriously contend.

“F” Grades
Morris Benson, Fairmont & Redwood Valley-
It has been a big struggle for all three of these programs so far this year. They are all still looking for their first win and it is almost the turn of the calendar. They will battle each other in the second half to get a cleaner picture of who is better at the bottom.
Good Luck to all 3A Teams at the Holiday Tournaments!
ThatHockeyGuy

Post by ThatHockeyGuy »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Greetings and Happy Holidays

Well as we head into Christmas Break Quarter One of Section 3A Hockey is over. We will grade out the teams below.

Next Week is the Mid-Term Exam for as many teams’ head to their respective Holiday Tournaments. Then it will be back to the books or should I say Ice for the 2nd Quarter as teams prep and work before the Finals or Playoffs Strike.

Section 3A Rankings as of (12-22-13)
1. Luverne (10-0-0)
2. New Ulm Area (4-3-0)
3. Hutchinson (4-2-0)
4. Willmar (4-4-0)
5. LDC (4-5-0)
6. Marshall (3-5-0)
7. Windom (4-5-0)
8. Worthington (2-7-0)
9. Morris Benson (0-8-0)
10. Redwood Valley (0-6-0)
11. Fairmont (0-6-0)

“A” Grades
Luverne-
Has had great offense depth with Seniors Norman and Olson and then some solid Underclassman plus the Dynamic Duo of (Super Sophomore Smedsrud & 8th Grade Phenom Nelson). They have had gotten a better defensive effort then I thought they would at the start of the year. Led by Electric Junior Sengvongxay on the point. They have gotten some solid tending from both Meyer and Crabtree. The team is undefeated for now and on top. Schedule strength has been questioned but we will get a much clearer picture of them after Jan 11th (Play Schwan Cup, Marshall & Willmar).

“B” Grades
New Ulm-
has great a great offense as well led by Davis, Helget, Peterson and Huffman. The Two Kraus boys add depth along with Kopacek. Brach Kraus has been very solid in the nets after early season jitters. Their Defense remains a big question mark. They will have to shore the back end up as the season progresses or that could haunt them in the Playoffs. New Ulm looks to be getting as the season has gone along and I look for them to be a major threat come playoff time.

Hutchinson- Their top end guys of Cowger, Adams and Collings are very solid. They are still searching for the much-needed depth that in their lineup just need to find the right combos. On the Defensive side they have good athletes and players led by Maceman. They just need to learn to play more disciplined in their system. The big question mark for the Tigers is in the nets. Allen has been very shaky all year and the Sophomore Nelson was overwhelmed in his debut. In order for Hutch to win three games in the playoffs they will need better goaltending. Allen the senior looks to be who they will go to and he needs to be better. If he can get better the Tigers are very dangerous.

Willmar- The loss of Gooseman in the nets has really hurt the Cards. They will need to get him healthy as soon as possibly. This is a very senior laden team that plays a tough schedule and gets great coaching. Once they get Gooseman back look out for Willmar. They will be tough as nails come playoffs. They are still looking for a go to scorer this year. They play a solid game in all three zones of the ice they will be a tough out for anyone in 3A come playoff time

“C” Grades
LDC-
They have a nice trio of Sophomores to build with in Raisanen, Pedersen & Haugo. They lack offense depth as right now after the Raisanen/Pedersen line they don’t have much offensive spark. What they lack for in talent they up woth and just grit and hustle. They have a solid tender in Senior Wahl who can be a difference maker in the nets. They will need to get more steady prodiction on offense though for them to be a serious contender. Could they pull an upset yes but without consistent offense they will not be able to win three games.

Marshall- Campion is their whole team right now. They work hard in front of him in the Dzone. They just are really lacking any offensive threats at this moment for the tigers. Moran, Bell and Buysse have had good games at the weaker 3A teams but nothing really to show vs. the cream of the top in this section. If they want to be a serious threat come playoff time they will need to find more offense. Sad part is many of their top players this year are seniors.

“D” Grades
Windom-
Has underachieved this year and gets a D for just dreadful Dzone and goaltending this year. They have talent up front but they cannot compete givien up 8 , 9, 10 goals in games vs. the decent teams in this section.

Worthington- Has Overachieved they only have 10 skaters but they work very hard and have been competitive this year. They will win a few more games against the bottom half of the section. They work hard just lack the depth needed to seriously contend.

“F” Grades
Morris Benson, Fairmont & Redwood Valley-
It has been a big struggle for all three of these programs so far this year. They are all still looking for their first win and it is almost the turn of the calendar. They will battle each other in the second half to get a cleaner picture of who is better at the bottom.
Good Luck to all 3A Teams at the Holiday Tournaments!
Looks good
sssample54

Post by sssample54 »

Marshall At LeSueur defense was good, offense not bad played defensively, netminder was ?
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I think St Peter could be a little bit better than we think though....they stuck with Mankato West last weekend. I think it was 6-3 or 4-2? And Luverne had 4 Powerplay goals against St Peter...take away some of the calls maybe it'd be a different game, from what I heard though the calls when both ways. (I still think Luverne is a way better team than St Peter) maybe we will get another matchup between Marshall and Luverne at the Schwann cup. :lol:
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:I think St Peter could be a little bit better than we think though....they stuck with Mankato West last weekend. I think it was 6-3 or 4-2? And Luverne had 4 Powerplay goals against St Peter...take away some of the calls maybe it'd be a different game, from what I heard though the calls when both ways. (I still think Luverne is a way better team than St Peter) maybe we will get another matchup between Marshall and Luverne at the Schwann cup. :lol:
I meant went both ways.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

ThatHockeyGuy wrote:Willmar STRUGGLING without a solid tendy in net. Lost 4-2 to a mediocre Park Rapids team. They outshot Park Rapids 40-20. Now 4-4
Anyone have the scoop on willmar's top goalie? He going to be out awhile or is there a shot he comes back soon?
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

notTONIGHT wrote:
ThatHockeyGuy wrote:Willmar STRUGGLING without a solid tendy in net. Lost 4-2 to a mediocre Park Rapids team. They outshot Park Rapids 40-20. Now 4-4
Anyone have the scoop on willmar's top goalie? He going to be out awhile or is there a shot he comes back soon?
We can only hope! So once the Willmar/Luverne game comes around, we can get a true judgement at who should have the top seed! Although there is a lot of hockey to play yet. A lot of games I would like to get to this year yet!!
ThatHockeyGuy

Post by ThatHockeyGuy »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Its says in Willmar newspaper that he broke his thumb. I'm no doctor but I'd say it couldn't be more than 4 weeks.