How much is too much?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

barry_mcconnell

How much is too much?

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

Simply Nuts....
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

1st kid is my bet. See ya when ya get it. :roll: :roll:
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Wait until squirts ... the offer will come rolling in.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

I'm glad they were thinking about colleges already. You don't want that to sneak up on you.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

You can't make this up.....
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

In five years the parents will be split up and in 10 years the kid will be in drug rehab
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

Wow...

BTW. Was that a MG sticker on her helmet.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Is she any good?
Be kind. Rewind.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

It'll be interesting, in the not to distant future, when the yuppies die off/their kids are grown, and I think we're already on the tail end of that generation.

I don't believe the next group will have the $ that they do, so that an already rich man's sport, will become even more so, with a smaller and smaller group playing it.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I'm a die hard hockey guy and even I think those parents are little much. If the end goal is for this kid to be the best hockey player she can be, which I would assume it is, then my advice would be to pump the brakes a bit and pull back on her training. She'll be better off in the long run with less hockey specific training and more athlete training. Sign her up for soccer or lacrosse or softball to complement her hockey training. Give the kid a change of seasons and scenery.

One thing I've learned is that if you take away something a kid really wants they get hungrier and want it more. If you spoon feed her all the hockey she wants she'll come to expect it and get complacent. Make her hungry for it by withholding it from her a little bit.

I don't doubt the parent's dedication to their daughter, and it isn't all hockey as they are also making time for her to be in Girl Scouts. I just think they are going about this the wrong way to get the results they desire. You've got to have balance, no matter what it is in life, you have to have balance.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

SCBlueLiner wrote:I'm a die hard hockey guy and even I think those parents are little much. If the end goal is for this kid to be the best hockey player she can be, which I would assume it is, then my advice would be to pump the brakes a bit and pull back on her training. She'll be better off in the long run with less hockey specific training and more athlete training. Sign her up for soccer or lacrosse or softball to complement her hockey training. Give the kid a change of seasons and scenery.

One thing I've learned is that if you take away something a kid really wants they get hungrier and want it more. If you spoon feed her all the hockey she wants she'll come to expect it and get complacent. Make her hungry for it by withholding it from her a little bit.

I don't doubt the parent's dedication to their daughter, and it isn't all hockey as they are also making time for her to be in Girl Scouts. I just think they are going about this the wrong way to get the results they desire. You've got to have balance, no matter what it is in life, you have to have balance.
Or here's a novel idea; why not ask the kid what *they* want to do, sports, non-sports, and everything in between ?
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

puckbreath wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:I'm a die hard hockey guy and even I think those parents are little much. If the end goal is for this kid to be the best hockey player she can be, which I would assume it is, then my advice would be to pump the brakes a bit and pull back on her training. She'll be better off in the long run with less hockey specific training and more athlete training. Sign her up for soccer or lacrosse or softball to complement her hockey training. Give the kid a change of seasons and scenery.

Or here's a novel idea; why not ask the kid what *they* want to do, sports, non-sports, and everything in between ?
I had this thought ... but at this age don't most kids want to please? Do the kids know any better? If that is all they know, that's all they know.

Sticky wicket if you ask me.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

DrGaf wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

I had this thought ... but at this age don't most kids want to please? Do the kids know any better? If that is all they know, that's all they know.

Sticky wicket if you ask me.
You'd be surprised, what they think, and what they know, if only asked.

More than they're given credit for.

Of course, parents like these would frame their "asking" their kid this way:

"So, what camp do you want to go to this year ? This team ? This training ?"

Whatever you want dear, it's all up to you......................."

:wink:
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

The problem with that question is, the parents that are crazed always claim "that's what they want to do, I'm not pushing them."

Or my favorite: "I'm the parent, I know my child best, I know what is best for them." That's the most troubling statement, because knowing your child better than others doesn't guarantee you've made the best choice. It is the choice the parent (with all of their own opinions/biases) thinks is the best at that moment in time.

This is a pretty deep discussion that will push this thread out to at least 4-5 pages.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Here is the way I see it. I actually have no doubt this kid loves hockey, or any kid that resembles this story. I also actually have no doubt that if asked even properly the kid may even say they want to do more. Here is where a parent needs to bring balance though, see the problem is if you ask a 7 year old they will tell you they love ice cream sundaes, and if you ask them they will tell you they would love to have ice cream sundaes for every meal, and maybe have a side of soda and doritos with it for every meal. A 7 year old might also want to play video games 24/7 in between those ice cream sundaes and they will tell you they love it, and it's all they want to do, and they may say they never get tired of it.... BUT as a good parent do you let them eat ice cream sundaes for every meal and play video games 24/7.... No, because you know that even too much of a good thing is still too much, so you need to provide balance for them, even athletically, at a young age, even if they don't want to play soccer you should make them try it for one season, then try football, and baseball etc.... all the while still letting them play winter hockey and SOME off season hockey. Then as they become older and enter different development stages you can increase the amount of hockey based on their passion and dedication to the game.... I've seen hundreds of athletes go through the process and I have literally never seen a really well rounded athlete fall very far behind his year round one sport crazy friends, and in fact I see the well rounded athletes usually surpass them when they reach high school age and start specializing a little later because they have a bigger set of tools to pull from, from playing all those different sports etc...... JMHO based on what I've seen over the years as a coach, parent and player.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

puckbreath wrote:

That's fine, ask them what they want, but a parent also needs to set limits. My kid would want to eat candy for every meal. Should I let him? It's what he wants. Or are you saying the kid doesn't want to play hockey, it's the parents? I'm working form the perspective the kid wants it, it's just the parents are feeding her too much of it.

My post was two fold.

First, from a strictly hockey development perspective, if the goal of the player and parents is to be the best hockey player possible than I think they are doing the wrong things to achieve that goal. Overtraining can lead to injuries. There's the fatigue factor. A well-rounded, straight up stud athlete is going to be a better hockey player than a hockey drone. Etc, etc. I've seen kids play harder the last game of the season than mid-season because they knew it was the end. That's it, no more games. It's the carrot on the stick theory. Keep the carrot dangling in front of the athlete, don't give it to them until they are too full to eat.

Second, I think having balance in life is a good thing. The kid is 7. Heck, it's a grind for college athletes to dedicate almost every day to their sport. Imagine being 7 and doing it.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

JSR wrote:Here is the way I see it. I actually have no doubt this kid loves hockey, or any kid that resembles this story. I also actually have no doubt that if asked even properly the kid may even say they want to do more. Here is where a parent needs to bring balance though, see the problem is if you ask a 7 year old they will tell you they love ice cream sundaes, and if you ask them they will tell you they would love to have ice cream sundaes for every meal, and maybe have a side of soda and doritos with it for every meal. A 7 year old might also want to play video games 24/7 in between those ice cream sundaes and they will tell you they love it, and it's all they want to do, and they may say they never get tired of it.... BUT as a good parent do you let them eat ice cream sundaes for every meal and play video games 24/7.... No, because you know that even too much of a good thing is still too much, so you need to provide balance for them, even athletically, at a young age, even if they don't want to play soccer you should make them try it for one season, then try football, and baseball etc.... all the while still letting them play winter hockey and SOME off season hockey. Then as they become older and enter different development stages you can increase the amount of hockey based on their passion and dedication to the game.... I've seen hundreds of athletes go through the process and I have literally never seen a really well rounded athlete fall very far behind his year round one sport crazy friends, and in fact I see the well rounded athletes usually surpass them when they reach high school age and start specializing a little later because they have a bigger set of tools to pull from, from playing all those different sports etc...... JMHO based on what I've seen over the years as a coach, parent and player.
JSR, we are on the exact same page and I think saying the exact same things in different ways.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
puckbreath wrote:

That's fine, ask them what they want, but a parent also needs to set limits. My kid would want to eat candy for every meal. Should I let him? It's what he wants. Or are you saying the kid doesn't want to play hockey, it's the parents? I'm working form the perspective the kid wants it, it's just the parents are feeding her too much of it.

My post was two fold.

First, from a strictly hockey development perspective, if the goal of the player and parents is to be the best hockey player possible than I think they are doing the wrong things to achieve that goal. Overtraining can lead to injuries. There's the fatigue factor. A well-rounded, straight up stud athlete is going to be a better hockey player than a hockey drone. Etc, etc. I've seen kids play harder the last game of the season than mid-season because they knew it was the end. That's it, no more games. It's the carrot on the stick theory. Keep the carrot dangling in front of the athlete, don't give it to them until they are too full to eat.

Second, I think having balance in life is a good thing. The kid is 7. Heck, it's a grind for college athletes to dedicate almost every day to their sport. Imagine being 7 and doing it.
1. I didn't say any of the things you state in your reply's first paragraph.

2. I'm working from the perspective that the kid's parents are whacko nut jobs.
saveforcollege

Post by saveforcollege »

O-townClown wrote:Is she any good?
Sara's coach said "She is real comfortable, (skating both) backwards and forward." I think that is the same report Gretzky received as a 7 year old from his coach so yeah, she is pretty good.

I like how they are moving to Edina with hockey just being an added benefit. "That's the icing on the cake." Does that mean all in Edina eat cake but the hockey people only eat it with icing? Not a knock on Edina, it is a great community with a great program. I'm sure mom probably doesn't even understand the reference.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

No Bjugstad shooting lessons? She doesn't stand a chance.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I think there are two ways to play hockey beyond high school--natural talent or be crazy enough to put in enough work to get there. That being said, at age 7, this is too much. I have a young man who was that passionate at that age. He still is. However, he has figured out that mom is right--HE is the one who has to put in the work. It's not up to me to open my checkbook. AAA teams are fun, and it may even be fun to do some training at one of the training facilities, but in the end, it's all on him. Sometimes he go for months shooting pucks and stick handling every single day. Then he might be in a basketball phase or a football phase or a lacrosse or soccer phase. Sometimes it's just running--he runs cross country and track for school.

My brother played baseball with a kid that everyone was SURE was going to be a major leaguer some day. Puberty hit, and he ended up being average and is now a county attorney. No college ball, even. I grew up playing with the neighborhood boys, and there was one kid that was pretty good, but didn't seem like anything special, and he ended up playing a number of years for the Twins.

My point is that it's a parent's job to get the kid ready to be a contributing member of society, and I think to do that, you need to expose your kids to lots of different things. Sure, talk about college if you want to, but not about getting athletic scholarships. Not when they're 7. At 7 they should be trying all sorts of stuff. Hell, at 12 they should be trying all sorts of stuff. Tae Kwon Do, art, archery, music, cooking, etc. They should be riding bike with their friends, having sleep overs, playing flash light tag, playing with dolls or remote control cars, and not training to be the next big thing.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

boomerang wrote:I think there are two ways to play hockey beyond high school--natural talent or be crazy enough to put in enough work to get there.

My brother played baseball with a kid that everyone was SURE was going to be a major leaguer some day. Puberty hit, and he ended up being average and is now a county attorney. No college ball, even. I grew up playing with the neighborhood boys, and there was one kid that was pretty good, but didn't seem like anything special, and he ended up playing a number of years for the Twins.
Boomerang, I love that first part and will borrow it. Good stuff.

Your baseball point reminds me of the 30 For 30 movie about a Little League World Series team from the Seattle area. 5'9" and 175, the adult's quote on why he didn't play major league baseball (or anything close) was, "When I was 12, I was a great 12-year-old baseball player. When I was 17, I was a great 12-year-old baseball player." Sage words.
Be kind. Rewind.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Yep, much of the equation is pre-programmed genetics and everyone has to wait and see how that programming eventually pans out.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

My kids would eat ice cream for dinner if I let them. COME ON!!!! :roll: