Elite "D" League

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cdale

Post by Cdale »

dogeatdog1 wrote:
nosoupforyou wrote:
Deep Breath wrote:I don't have a horse in this race but i tend to agree with the latest sentiments. Not sure why, other than the "celebrity factor" the D League would want ANY parent on one of its benches. Benches should be run like a 3on3 game anyway; next line up, regardless of situation. Give all the players a chance to "develop" their power play and penalty kill skills. Do people actually care that much about who is winning these games? And if so....why?
For what it's worth, the Metro NE coaches did just that in the game I watched vs Norway last weekend. They rolled all 4 lines for the entire game up to the last shift when they threw Giller/Welsh/Mills out early to tie the game. Kudos to them for keeing the 'D' part of the league in the forefront.
I'll say it again. 20+ kids on the roster= $150,000 in elite D league development budget. UNREAL!
At the end of the day is it really that expensive? After ice (2 hours of ice for games and 1.5 for practices) , refs, coaches, whatever else doesn't it come to around $10-$13 bucks per hour per kid?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

deleted because of serious brain fart. :oops:
Last edited by Shinbone_News on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buttend

Post by buttend »

dogeatdog1 wrote:
nosoupforyou wrote:
Deep Breath wrote:I don't have a horse in this race but i tend to agree with the latest sentiments. Not sure why, other than the "celebrity factor" the D League would want ANY parent on one of its benches. Benches should be run like a 3on3 game anyway; next line up, regardless of situation. Give all the players a chance to "develop" their power play and penalty kill skills. Do people actually care that much about who is winning these games? And if so....why?
For what it's worth, the Metro NE coaches did just that in the game I watched vs Norway last weekend. They rolled all 4 lines for the entire game up to the last shift when they threw Giller/Welsh/Mills out early to tie the game. Kudos to them for keeing the 'D' part of the league in the forefront.
I'll say it again. 20+ kids on the roster= $150,000 in elite D league development budget. UNREAL!

Dog, What kinda of math do they teach in Burnsville?

$625 times 20 players equals $12,500

There are 8 D League teams 8 times $12500 equals $100K . Your off by 50%.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

Shinbone_News wrote:Are we seriously going to complain about the head coach of the state champion high school team running the bench for one of the JV elite teams here? I'm no fan boy, but seriously. Is your complaint that he's being too competitive? Maybe they could just get the zamboni driver to open the doors... you don't want a parent, you don't want aggressive coaching.

I'm actually surprised that someone had the cajones to tell 'em the kid couldn't play up. Good on ya, whoever said young Bellows will have to wait at least
Shin

I don!t think you!re reading very carefully. The point is the kid is already playing up - he!s really only a 9th grader as he skipped a grade. Worse, he!s playing in Elite league this weekend and maybe more. No one has had any "cajones" to ever tell this guy no - well, except maybe Shattuck. There!s no chance this kid is the best player in the league, which this move implies. Why is he the first to get called up? Because the league has no scruples and neither does he. Sorry, I don't understand your first sentence. To my knowledge, Bellows has nothing to do with the state champions.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

TheMayor wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Are we seriously going to complain about the head coach of the state champion high school team running the bench for one of the JV elite teams here? I'm no fan boy, but seriously. Is your complaint that he's being too competitive? Maybe they could just get the zamboni driver to open the doors... you don't want a parent, you don't want aggressive coaching.

I'm actually surprised that someone had the cajones to tell 'em the kid couldn't play up. Good on ya, whoever said young Bellows will have to wait at least
Shin

I don!t think you!re reading very carefully. The point is the kid is already playing up - he!s really only a 9th grader as he skipped a grade. Worse, he!s playing in Elite league this weekend and maybe more. No one has had any "cajones" to ever tell this guy no - well, except maybe Shattuck. There!s no chance this kid is the best player in the league, which this move implies. Why is he the first to get called up? Because the league has no scruples and neither does he. Sorry, I don't understand your first sentence. To my knowledge, Bellows has nothing to do with the state champions.
Gotcha. I lost my mind for a few moments.

KB is clearly a role-playing kind of skater. I think we sometimes think the game is all about Gs and As, but of course it's not. (See the other NHLer's kid Lou Nanne Jr.)

I don't doubt that these kids have political advantages -- they do. But one could argue that they're held to a higher standard too. (Again, see Lou Jr.) Living in the shadow can't be easy, especially if they're not the studs everyone expects them to be.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. My bad.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

Shinbone_News wrote:
TheMayor wrote:

Shin

Gotcha. I lost my mind for a few moments.

KB is clearly a role-playing kind of skater. I think we sometimes think the game is all about Gs and As, but of course it's not. (See the other NHLer's kid Lou Nanne Jr.)

I don't doubt that these kids have political advantages -- they do. But one could argue that they're held to a higher standard too. (Again, see Lou Jr.) Living in the shadow can't be easy, especially if they're not the studs everyone expects them to be.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. My bad.
All valid points.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Do they charge a gate for the games?
Referees get paid, coaches get stipends and the people behind the organization get what is left. If the league did not make a profit it would not be in operation.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

KB plaing for SW in Elite D game this morning. Not in Rapids with Elites.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

greybeard58 wrote:Do they charge a gate for the games?
Referees get paid, coaches get stipends and the people behind the organization get what is left. If the league did not make a profit it would not be in operation.
Yes $7 per game
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

Bluewhitefan wrote:KB plaing for SW in Elite D game this morning. Not in Rapids with Elites.
Heading to GR for tonight's game.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Yes $7 per game
Or you just walk by table like s
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Yes $7 per game
Pro rated to $4.75 with season pass. And some games their is no "gate".
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

buttend wrote:
dogeatdog1 wrote: I'll say it again. 20+ kids on the roster= $150,000 in elite D league development budget. UNREAL!

Each team also has alternates...hub has 26 kids on the Team SE roster. Alternates get a break on fee, but even so...30 x $475 = $14k

And as noted below, need to add gate fees to gross revenues. Just look at revenue from parent's season passes...200 players, average 1.5 season passes per family...maybe $20k

Finally, you are forgetting gross revenue from D-league tryouts. What was the tryout fee this year? $100/player? Ignore the kids who didn't make it...tryout fees for 200 rostered kids is $20k.

I'm thinking that a $150k estimate is looking pretty good, by this point. :D
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

TheMayor wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:KB plaing for SW in Elite D game this morning. Not in Rapids with Elites.
Heading to GR for tonight's game.
Was able to get back on the ice with a minute left and an empty net for his hat trick.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

almostashappy wrote:
buttend wrote:
dogeatdog1 wrote: I'll say it again. 20+ kids on the roster= $150,000 in elite D league development budget. UNREAL!

Each team also has alternates...hub has 26 kids on the Team SE roster. Alternates get a break on fee, but even so...30 x $475 = $14k

And as noted below, need to add gate fees to gross revenues. Just look at revenue from parent's season passes...200 players, average 1.5 season passes per family...maybe $20k

Finally, you are forgetting gross revenue from D-league tryouts. What was the tryout fee this year? $100/player? Ignore the kids who didn't make it...tryout fees for 200 rostered kids is $20k.

I'm thinking that a $150k estimate is looking pretty good, by this point. :D
Does it really matter? Each family decides for themselves....it's $675 bucks. Some consider it a rip off and some it is what it is. If you don't like it...if something stinks, then don't do it. Not alot of fun breaking down each sport my kid does into who makes how much.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

Crazy that they charge $7 for gate fee..... Drive your kid from Alex to Eagan, and get jacked another $7, compared to all hockey expenses it's nothing but the principle behind it sucks!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Marty McSorely wrote:Crazy that they charge $7 for gate fee..... Drive your kid from Alex to Eagan, and get jacked another $7, compared to all hockey expenses it's nothing but the principle behind it sucks!
Marty its about the experience! Ya! 7 bucks....insane.
blueblood

Elite D League

Post by blueblood »

Why do you think the $7 is insane?

Is it because you think you are being "nickeled and dimed" with additional costs?

When you go to a HS game, all teams charge a gate fee. What's the difference between these two scenarios?
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

because HS is public venture in which most only pay $250 and the school provides transportation

D-League is a private venture in which you are already paying them $600+..... and they make no mention of wacking you another $7 when you drive your kid to the game......
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

TheMayor wrote:

Shin

Is the word "cajones" Spanish for "bad toupee"?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:How about the former NHL-er/parent coach yelping at bench after his son got a little shot from an opposing player half his size after a whistle and NHL-er/dad wanting to be sure his team never turns there back on his son and to grab a guy? I can't make this stuff up. Or how about dad's summer AAA team making up half of the "Elite" D league "all-star" roster being coached by his friend and assistant "Elite" D league director. Kieffer is a nice player but if he's really the first kid called up to the "Elite" league, this story only gets better. The only question I have is what "Elite" coach will the dad be replacing next year? :shock:
Maybe the "former NHL-er" had some bad memories of this and this will explain his actions? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEvfoZqKl0

You are all welcome by the way!
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Great laugh to end the week!
observer

Post by observer »

Funny stuff. Only juniors should get the call up. I feel even worse for left out seniors. The League should be trying to get extra attention for the best, oldest, players. Pull up the best junior player. Last season one of the call-ups was a 9th grader, with bantam eligibility, that hadn't even played HS hockey yet. Instead of call-ups based on merit and age more politics and favors.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Sats81 wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:How about the former NHL-er/parent coach yelping at bench after his son got a little shot from an opposing player half his size after a whistle and NHL-er/dad wanting to be sure his team never turns there back on his son and to grab a guy? I can't make this stuff up. Or how about dad's summer AAA team making up half of the "Elite" D league "all-star" roster being coached by his friend and assistant "Elite" D league director. Kieffer is a nice player but if he's really the first kid called up to the "Elite" league, this story only gets better. The only question I have is what "Elite" coach will the dad be replacing next year? :shock:
Maybe the "former NHL-er" had some bad memories of this and this will explain his actions? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEvfoZqKl0

You are all welcome by the way!
Surprised they didn't make fun of his rug!
observer

Post by observer »

Surprised they didn't make fun of his rug!
Oh no! Tell me it's not true. That might make it worthwhile to come out and see some BB antics in person.