Classic Suburban ousts St. Thomas

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Ummm, non conference games are a huge issue in football, finding them is nearly impossible . This is a hockey board but the truth is football drives most if these decisions. STA had to travel to LaCrosse Wisconsin to fill their schedule last season. Totino is a football power and has taken steps to improve its schedule by joining the NWSC, Cretin is the same way. Cretin and Totino opt up in football, I don't see either leaving to play conference teams that don't play at the highest class and in some cases two classes below. The SEC seems pretty content with Cretin across the board and Cretin seems pretty content there.

Cretin was booted from the St Paul City and after a lot of kicking and screaming has found a really good fit for all of their sports in the SEC. A smaller private school in a large public school conference seems to be a level playing field for all
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Grant had to take EP to winnipeg to find a non-con game.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

thestickler07 wrote:Boring looking girls too.
I'll take boring looking girls anytime, over "Say there big fella... =P~ "
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

We got a twist ladies and gents. CSC ADs at public schools don't know how to read bylaws well enough to know what they are allowed to do or not.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/203244711.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How can you expect excellence out of students when their administrators are this inept?
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

interesting

So does Hill have free or reduced lunch and special ed???
Are they next based on demographics??
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Development?

So then they disband the conference, then reform without STA, I guess I don't see the difference.

STA doesn't seem to care anyhow according to the Strib.
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

So if its based on Free or Reduced lunch program, them Mahtomedi should be ousted since they only have 4% on lunch program.

I'm guessing STA doesn't even want to be in the conference anyways.
394 West

Re: Xmas tourney

Post by 394 West »

[quote="grandmeadowhockeyfan"]That would be an awesome tourney. I would go out of my way to see that. Choosing between the st Louis park tourney, and Schwann would be a real difficult choice.[/quoti

I think it is already a tough choice. Plus not driving to Blaine from south metro is a plus. BSM is independent and will stay that way. Going 20-5 for their first solo year will reinforce that.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

They could play the tourny @ Aldridge !!!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Going to Vannelli's tonight. I'll ask around see if I can find out what two conferences STA apllied for. [I'm thinking SEC/South Sub]
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

old goalie85 wrote:Going to Vannelli's tonight. I'll ask around see if I can find out what two conferences STA apllied for. [I'm thinking SEC/South Sub]
Since they are all about filling the trophy case, I'm guessing Tri-Metro and Missota. :wink:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

:lol:
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

thorhockey wrote:interesting

So does Hill have free or reduced lunch and special ed???
Are they next based on demographics??
Free lunch=goal scorers
Reduced lunch=defense & goalies
Special Ed=Tartan transfers :lol:

I suspect HM will be next.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Add Hill & STA to the SEC !! Great football conference !!! Great Baseball !! Pretty good hockey as well.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

I propose the SEC drop Park & Hastings (I know Park wants out & heard Hastings may interested in staying in a southern conference). Then add STA and HM. Let the games begin!
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

This isn't a private school bash so don't anyone get their undies in a bunch.

One of the draws for a private school in athletics is a better chance at a successful season, better stats, etc.

If CDH, STA, HM, etc. all end up in one conference, would that make it harder to draw talent for each of them?

Just a thought.
summer

Re: STA

Post by summer »

stpaul wrote:The time may have come for a metro private school conference. Totino-Grace, Benilde-SM, Holy Angels and now STA are homeless. Add Hill-Murray, Cretin-DH, Holy Family, DeLaSalle and Breck and it would be a pretty good 9 team conference. 8 for hockey. Blake and Providence Academy could make it 10.
It would be truely great, a conference only the parents could love (and scouts) No one else would!
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:I propose the SEC drop Park & Hastings (I know Park wants out & heard Hastings may interested in staying in a southern conference). Then add STA and HM. Let the games begin!
I have heard rumblings about Hastings as well.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

On a related topic, what are the chances that some or all of the northern teams in the Classic Suburban (NSP, Tartan, Mahtomedi and maybe HM) work with some of the North Suburban outcasts (Irondale, Spring Lk Pk, maybe Fridley or Totino) in forming a new conference, or bring some or all of the current North Suburban schools into an expanded Classic Suburban?
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

I heard today, from a source I consider very reliable, that there were three proposals at a previous AD meeting.
1. Disband the entire conference
2. Remove STA from the conference
3. Remove Hill from the conference

The only one of the three proposals that had enough support to even bring to a vote was to remove St. Thomas.

I have no idea why Hill would want to remain in the Classic Suburban for hockey. Except for occasional moments from Tartan or Mahtomedi, STA was the only competition they got. They may look to go independent in hockey. The other sports seem to be a good fit in the Classic Suburban.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

There's probably a pretty good chance the CSC tries to expand, maybe getting STA out helps attract some schools looking for a place to go.

7 teams makes football scheduling really tough, STA was 40-2 in the conference the last 5 years with an average margin of victory of over 35 points.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

slacsap wrote:I have no idea why Hill would want to remain in the Classic Suburban for hockey. Except for occasional moments from Tartan or Mahtomedi, STA was the only competition they got. They may look to go independent in hockey. The other sports seem to be a good fit in the Classic Suburban.
The other sports are a good fit. HM's enrollment is about 630 in grades 9-12 making it considerably smaller than STA which has 530 boys (equivalent of 1060) in grades 9-12. If HM went independent for hockey (Girls too), I don't think the other CSC schools mind having HM. They have some very good rivalries in girls sports and the other boys sports, especially with Tartan and North. Football is also a big factor here. STA has no business in this conference for football. Like hockey they should have moved "up" years ago. They are 33-2 the last 5 years. HM is 17-18 during that time. HM is very close to Mahtomedi, NSP & Tartan for transportation purposes and a short bus ride on 694/494 from SSP, Sibley & Simley. I can see this happening. Without STA, HM has no reason to keep playing a CSC hockey schedule. That league schedule has been shrinking anyway. It was 16 games a year and was down to 13 this past year. I think Tartan and Mahtomedi would continue to schedule one non-conf game with them. Both coaches are HM alums. I think STA ends up in the South Suburban. Maybe the SEC. HM stays in the CSC for everything but hockey. Without STA & Richfield the conference is down to 7. There is room for one more, maybe 3. There are some orphans out there with all the shuffling going on. In a perfect world the CSC and SEC would just swap STA and Park.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

stpaul wrote:I think STA ends up in the South Suburban. Maybe the SEC. HM stays in the CSC for everything but hockey. Without STA & Richfield the conference is down to 7. There is room for one more, maybe 3. There are some orphans out there with all the shuffling going on. In a perfect world the CSC and SEC would just swap STA and Park.
The only way that STA ends up in SSC is if the MSHSL forces the issue. The South Suburban is a conference for large, co-ed, non-military, sectarian public schools South of the River. STA only meets the geographic requirement.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

almostashappy wrote:The South Suburban is a conference for large, co-ed, non-military, sectarian public schools South of the River. STA only meets the geographic requirement.
Aren't all of the suburban conferences mostly made up of co-ed, non-military sectarian public schools? At least the South Suburban has the geography thing going for it.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

almostashappy wrote:The only way that STA ends up in SSC is if the MSHSL forces the issue.
They will. It's a rule for schools to get placed by the MSHSL if they get turned down by 2 (or is it 3 ?) conferences. It may be the SEC. I'm going with geography and expect the South Suburban. STA is 6 miles from Eagan and 12 from Apple Valley & Eastview. The SEC is concentrated further away in the north and east St. Paul suburbs.

This rule is part of the reason the CSC won't dump HM. The MSHSL would put them right back there.