District 8 Squirt "B" teams in playoffs over limit

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

iseepalms

District 8 Squirt "B" teams in playoffs over limit

Post by iseepalms »

District 8 is allowing "B" squirt teams to play even though they will be over the 35 game limit with playoff games. (Inver Grove Heights, Eagan(Blue),Cottage Grove and Rosemount (Green). What happen to rules just check out each teams website unless they have removed them. And those are just the reported games. What would Elliot do?
Last edited by iseepalms on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Re: District 8 Squirt "B" teams in playoffs over l

Post by elliott70 »

iseepalms wrote:District 8 is allowing "B" squirt teams to play even though they will be over the 35 game limit with playoff games. (Inver Grove Heights, Eagan(Blue),Cottage Grove and Rosemount (Green). What happen to rules just check out each teams website unless they have removed them. And those are just the reported games.
You are from Forest Lake. Why are you worried about 10 year old kids in a different district?
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

A couple of years ago our team was in the same boat,plus why make rules to follow and allow teams to break them. This is a good example of teaching the right thing. Plus on the board I see District 8 had trouble with Bantams plying at a higher level than they should and their director took care of it.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

So Elliot you are saying it is OK to break the rules of each District?
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

This is just one district that I looked at that caught my eye I will look at others.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

iseepalms wrote:So Elliot you are saying it is OK to break the rules of each District?
So what I am saying is 'what's it to you?'

My guess is the district director is aware of it and is habndling it.
If you think it needs attention then email Rich Rakness.

People crying about what others are doing brings on more rules, mnore enforcement; as discussed in another thread.
mackjogger

Re: District 8 Squirt "B" teams in playoffs over l

Post by mackjogger »

iseepalms wrote:District 8 is allowing "B" squirt teams to play even though they will be over the 35 game limit with playoff games. (Inver Grove Heights, Eagan(Blue),Cottage Grove and Rosemount (Green). What happen to rules just check out each teams website unless they have removed them. And those are just the reported games. What would Elliot do?
There are some sick, bored, insane people with apparently ZERO real problems in their life on this forum!!!
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

IMO the game limits are kind of stupid. I understand the reasoning for them but I can understand if there is not strict enforcement if teams try to follow the rules but end up a couple games over. Example, sometimes you go to tournaments that have a 3 game guarantee but a 4 game possibility. The recently completed Fargo Squirt Tournament is a perfect example. It was a 5 game guarantee but some teams played 6. How do you plan for those things? Oh, I guess you could just plan on playing 6 games and factor that into your season schedule but you run the risk of leaving games on the table.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

I am just saying in the districts around us District 10 and my District 2 we can't play unlimited games and maybe we should to get better. I just thought it was a rule and should be enforced state wide and no I am not sick or bored just plain facts here. It is hard to plan on tournaments no doubt. I checked out both D2 and D10 and their teams conform.
Last edited by iseepalms on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

D6 squirt tournament games do not count toward the 35 game limit. DDs have the leeway to allow exceptions.
Lots of coaches are on the ice without chin straps done up on their non-HECC certified helmets. Don't limit your whistleblowing. Call the I-Team.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

So what you are saying is contact our director to waive the 35 game rule like D6 does, I like your thinking Spin-O-Rama. As far as the helment thing I didn't agree with it at first but I think it was a God send.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

iseepalms wrote:So what you are saying is contact our director to waive the 35 game rule like D6 does, I like your thinking Spin-O-Rama. As far as the helment thing I didn't agree with it at first but I think it was a God send.
If you like my thinking, follow Elliott's advice.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

spin-o-rama wrote:D6 squirt tournament games do not count toward the 35 game limit. DDs have the leeway to allow exceptions.
Lots of coaches are on the ice without chin straps done up on their non-HECC certified helmets. Don't limit your whistleblowing. Call the I-Team.

Lets start in each assoc. a group to oversee the board of the assoc. and also start a board to oversee MN hockey's board and of course a board to oversee USA hockey's board.

Maybe a board to oversee the selection committee at tryouts.

and a head head coach to oversee the coach

or just let parentless kids play hockey and the problem is solved!
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Mackjogger you should become a crap house lawyer with your attitude or maybe you already are. Nice posts.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Edina regularly plays more than 40 games at squirt A. Last year, they were loud and proud about being 40-0 by the end of February.

I've heard they simply pay the fine --- something like $200-$400 -- levied by D6. Maybe a cake-eater on the board can confirm.
NE14HKY

Post by NE14HKY »

Seeing I'm part of D8 and I know why this
is happening AND my son is on one of the
teams listed, I might as well comment.
They have had a hard time, in the past,
getting teams to participate in the end of the
year playoffs. Been going on for awhile.
Teams would plan on, for the year, playing
close to 35 games and then just not participate
in the playoffs. So, Rak and the board made
it possible for teams to HAVE UP TO 35 going
into playoffs, and still be able to participate.
Rak is plenty aware of the counts!
I think it's STILL happening at the A level,
that MANY teams just aren't participating in
playoffs.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

[quote="iseepalms"]Mackjogger you should become a crap house lawyer with your attitude or maybe you already are. Nice posts.[/quote

Now that was a low blow. Thems fightin words..calling a person a lawyer :evil: :evil:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Youth hockey at its finest.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

NE14HKY wrote:Seeing I'm part of D8 and I know why this
playoffs.
Why would'nt they want to play in the play-offs? That should be the best part of the year! why not just play 31 or 32 games and leave the last 3 or 4 for the play-offs? If they end up with a few less than 35 big deal? This make no sense.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Let-em play!!!
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

the_juiceman wrote:
playoffs.
Why would'nt they want to play in the play-offs? That should be the best part of the year! why not just play 31 or 32 games and leave the last 3 or 4 for the play-offs? If they end up with a few less than 35 big deal? This make no sense.
Because who wants to leave games on the table? Personally, I think the 35 game limit is too low. I'm guessing there are a whole bunch of people who agree with me given the amount of kids playing spring hockey, summer hockey, fall hockey, supplemental leagues, etc.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

More games! More games! More games!

Come on everyone...say it with me. More games! More games! More games.

35 not enough at the squirt level? Really...
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
the_juiceman wrote:
playoffs.
Because who wants to leave games on the table? Personally, I think the 35 game limit is too low. I'm guessing there are a whole bunch of people who agree with me given the amount of kids playing spring hockey, summer hockey, fall hockey, supplemental leagues, etc.
exactly my point --if they are already doing all those spring, summer and fall leagues, 35 games is plenty at the squirt age.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

I could really give a rip how many games squirts play... But I do believe it should be left up to the coach.. Some teams need to utilize practice time. Some teams might need more game experience.

Don't think it should be up MN hockey to decide whats best for every team.

Trust me the kids want to play games..
Marty2013

Post by Marty2013 »

Wow - Squirt hockey carries soem pretty serious discussions. Been awhile since ive been around squirt hockey. I do think they should be able to do what ever their association wants them to do. I think the issue here though is if its a rule and some associations are letting it happen and others are charging a fee to do it. Something isn't right. I do know of an association and coach who was punished (as well as the assciation $$$) that coach was unable to coach the next year all due to the association followed the rule. so know it happens and its considered ok? now thats politics at its best.