Section 3A (2012-13 Season)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 3A this year (2012-13)?

Hutch
27%
Marshall
15%
New Ulm Area
21%
Windom
2%
LDC
3%
Luverne
32%

Total votes: 66

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Teak wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Save your hate, Luverne lovers. I'd like to hear from objective third parties like myself, speculations on why Luverne gets the top seed. I have to think Nulm gets the nod for being tempered by a harder schedule, not to mention plenty of previous trips. But good for Luverne if they can make good on the top seed.
I am neither a Luverne nor a New Ulm lover or hater. I did not see New Ulm this season, but I was impressed enough with Luverne in the single game of theirs that I saw: the 7-0 destruction of Marshall IN Marshall. They were well-organised, well-coached, and have a good mix of freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. They also have two good scoring lines, something missing from most A schools and even some AA ones.

Strength of schedule is often over-rated. So New Ulm went and got whipped by the Chicago Blackhawks 14 times this season? It probably didn't make them any better and certainly didn't give them a ton of confidence. I'd also rather see 3A get represented by a 21-3-1 team than a 12-12-1 team. :lol:
Watch out teak, wont be long until computerguy tells you to stay off your computer. ](*,)
Joker77

Post by Joker77 »

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a player nor parent with any relation to any of the teams in section 3A.

After watching southern Minnesota hockey for the last few years, including section 3A playoffs, and reading these forums year after year, I can't wait to see Luverne lose solely because of how bias the people that are clearly from Luverne are on here. Every year they talk themselves up on this forum and lose when their over-inflated egos blow up in their faces. I have not met one humble person from Luverne.

Seedings don't matter in section 3A. Its who shows up to play. Get ready for Section 3A playoffs because anything can happen in this section, and no, Luverne doesn't have this section wrapped up like many of you make it seem.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Joker77 wrote:
Seedings don't matter in section 3A. Its who shows up to play. Get ready for Section 3A playoffs because anything can happen in this section, and no, Luverne doesn't have this section wrapped up like many of you make it seem.
Disclaimer: I am also not a parent, a player, or even a resident of the great state of Minnesota.
I would be lying to say I dont have a dog in the fight, but its from a distance.

The only people who claim seedings don't matter, are the ones that dont get seedings they like. Its like the kid on the playground who loses and uses the old "I wasn't trying anyway so it doesn't matter!!" line. Its pathetic. Seedings are very important, it shapes every team in the state's chances at making it to every childs dream, the X.
With that in mind, no team, from St. Thomas Academy, to what everyone thinks is pathetic Luverne, is guaranteed a spot at the x with the top seed. This is also a no brainer. Of course you have to play the games. But its pure poppycock to say the seeds are irrelevant.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Section 3A Play-in Playoff Game Preview

#8 Seed Worthington Trojans (3-15-0) vs. #9 Seed Fairmont Cardinals (2-18-1)

Worthington Trojans

Team Outlook: The Trojans have had a tough year. They returned most of their lineup last season only to win 3 games this year. The Trojans are led by Levi Leach (12-11-23 pts.), Andrew Johnson (13-8-21 pts.) & Jacob Oberloh (11-5-16 pts.). Depth has been an issue all year for the Trojans. Also, staying out of the penalty box has been very critical. Worthington is averaging 16 minutes in penalties a game. Not going to win hockey games doing that. The Trojans will go as far as Rylan Scholtes (3-13-0 5.82 GAA .850 SV%) can take them. He has the ability to steal a game in the net.

VS.

Farimont Cardinals

Team Outlook: Fairmont has had a very rough year. They don’t have any players with 10 plus goals or any player with more then 15 points total. Scoring goals and depth have been a huge issue all year long. They have only scored 34 goals on the entire season. They lack a go to player on the ice and that has relly hurt them and close games that they have a chance in. If Fairmont is to win a game they will need a huge effort from Colton Cunning (2-14-1 6.81 GAA . 843 SV%) in the nets to win.

Prediction: Worthington 5 Fairmont 1
This game is in Worthtington’s rink they have more seniors and more solid point producing players. I look for Worthington to win out in this one.

(I will post a Recap tomorrow)
roundhead

Post by roundhead »

Section 3A HockeyScout...

Haven't you learned your lesson on Predicitons?
computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy »

notTONIGHT, I hear that LuVerne is pulling a good number of players from Souix Falls? This may be your home and your kid plays for Luverne? Does anyone know what kind of rules violations this would be? Seems you trashed NU because of the SE coop. What do you have to say for the Luverne and Souix Falls coop? Souix Falls is bigger than SE and NU combined isn't it? Maybe the Minnesota state high school league would know of the rules in question? Someone please check.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

No kids on the Luverne team from South Dakota. There are some kids in the youth program from Brandon, Sioux Falls and Garretson but not on the HS team. If they want to play HS hockey in Luverne the family would need to move to the school district and if they don't do it in time they will be forced to sit for a period of time (not sure how long). It happened about 5 years ago with a player. Please don't let notTonight speak for the rest of us :D
notTONIGHT

Re: 3a

Post by notTONIGHT »

computerguy wrote:notTONIGHT, I hear that LuVerne is pulling a good number of players from Souix Falls? This may be your home and your kid plays for Luverne? Does anyone know what kind of rules violations this would be? Seems you trashed NU because of the SE coop. What do you have to say for the Luverne and Souix Falls coop? Souix Falls is bigger than SE and NU combined isn't it? Maybe the Minnesota state high school league would know of the rules in question? Someone please check.
No kids, and dont live in sioux falls.
roundhead

Re: 3a

Post by roundhead »

Yikes. You really are uninformed.

computerguy wrote:notTONIGHT, I hear that LuVerne is pulling a good number of players from Souix Falls? This may be your home and your kid plays for Luverne? Does anyone know what kind of rules violations this would be? Seems you trashed NU because of the SE coop. What do you have to say for the Luverne and Souix Falls coop? Souix Falls is bigger than SE and NU combined isn't it? Maybe the Minnesota state high school league would know of the rules in question? Someone please check.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

I dont understand people who want to bash New Ulm because they co-oped with Sleepy Eye. For the last time the move was done to save the Sleepy Eye program, not bolster New Ulm's.

Merging with a team that has had 30 TOTAL wins the past 10 years (12 of which came in their final year of existence playing the weakest schedule in the state) has such a small bearing on the overall quality of New Ulms program.

The argument is about the equivalent of saying Luverne is Co-oped with Adrian, might as well bash them because there is a chance one of their players might be from their co-op!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Is it NUlm or Luverne?

Could the #3 or 4 team surprise them?
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

Theres New Ulm and Luverne. And then there is everyone else.
Unless New Ulm or Luverne has a flurry of injuries or other issues its unlikely anyone could surprise. I think Luverne has more hockey players athletic enough to make the basketball team. I think that gives them the nod.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:I dont understand people who want to bash New Ulm because they co-oped with Sleepy Eye. For the last time the move was done to save the Sleepy Eye program, not bolster New Ulm's.

Merging with a team that has had 30 TOTAL wins the past 10 years (12 of which came in their final year of existence playing the weakest schedule in the state) has such a small bearing on the overall quality of New Ulms program.

The argument is about the equivalent of saying Luverne is Co-oped with Adrian, might as well bash them because there is a chance one of their players might be from their co-op!
I dont understand why computerguy brought that up either.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

Teak wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Save your hate, Luverne lovers. I'd like to hear from objective third parties like myself, speculations on why Luverne gets the top seed. I have to think Nulm gets the nod for being tempered by a harder schedule, not to mention plenty of previous trips. But good for Luverne if they can make good on the top seed.
I am neither a Luverne nor a New Ulm lover or hater. I did not see New Ulm this season, but I was impressed enough with Luverne in the single game of theirs that I saw: the 7-0 destruction of Marshall IN Marshall. They were well-organised, well-coached, and have a good mix of freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. They also have two good scoring lines, something missing from most A schools and even some AA ones.

Strength of schedule is often over-rated. So New Ulm went and got whipped by the Chicago Blackhawks 14 times this season? It probably didn't make them any better and certainly didn't give them a ton of confidence. I'd also rather see 3A get represented by a 21-3-1 team than a 12-12-1 team. :lol:
Teak, I could not agree more with you on all of the above. Luverne has proved they deserved the #1 seed by not only winning 21 games but they have won those games in a dominating fashion. They did not skate by them by a sliver of ice.
I am sure the question of who deserves the top seed L or NU could have been dispelled had these two teams played each other 2 times during the reg season. Why don't they play each other? Many other teams throughout the state in the same Sec play each other during the reg season. This certainly would answer part of the question as to who deserves the top seed.
Which team refuses to play the other or is it just mutual.
Would Luverne have just plain destroyed NU during reg season ruining NU chance for a top seed?
Once Luverne rolls into the X it will be the best chance Sec 3A has had in years to win a game. :twisted:
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
Teak wrote:

Teak, I could not agree more with you on all of the above. Luverne has proved they deserved the #1 seed by not only winning 21 games but they have won those games in a dominating fashion. They did not skate by them by a sliver of ice.
I am sure the question of who deserves the top seed L or NU could have been dispelled had these two teams played each other 2 times during the reg season. Why don't they play each other? Many other teams throughout the state in the same Sec play each other during the reg season. This certainly would answer part of the question as to who deserves the top seed.
Which team refuses to play the other or is it just mutual.
Would Luverne have just plain destroyed NU during reg season ruining NU chance for a top seed?
Once Luverne rolls into the X it will be the best chance Sec 3A has had in years to win a game. :twisted:
Once Luverne rolls into the X it will be Best Chance Sec 3A has had in years to win a game... LMFAO!! Better Hope for Some MAJOR Major upsets in other sections!! Teams are now seeded 1-5.. 3A will get a 1,2, or 3 seed at the X.. Seriously best of luck but the chances of a 3A team keeping the 1st game out of running time are very slim...
notSoFast

Post by notSoFast »

elliott70 wrote:Is it NUlm or Luverne?

Could the #3 or 4 team surprise them?
I am not sure if the #3 or #4 will be around to face the #1 or #2 in the Semi Finals
notSoFast

Post by notSoFast »

timcorbin21 wrote:Theres New Ulm and Luverne. And then there is everyone else.
Unless New Ulm or Luverne has a flurry of injuries or other issues its unlikely anyone could surprise. I think Luverne has more hockey players athletic enough to make the basketball team. I think that gives them the nod.
I do not think you will find any cardinal fans disagreeing with you -

In fact I expect your accolades may be just the first one in the pile that is about to overflow.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:I dont understand people who want to bash New Ulm because they co-oped with Sleepy Eye. For the last time the move was done to save the Sleepy Eye program, not bolster New Ulm's.

I'm not bashing but am pointing out differences between the two top teams in this section, & cannot help but pull for Luverne as the little guy.

Your example of the coop argument is lame. NE enrollment without the SE coop: 946. With the coop: 1408 (1232 without Springfield)

Luverne enrollment: 310, with the Adrian coop: 467

Luverne's cooped enrollment is still less than half of the NU pre-SE coop enrollment. It's the smallest school vs the biggest school in the section. Probably a non issue for some, but an interesting fact. Heck, Luverne may be one of the smallest schools in Class A.

As one poster signs of: ROLLCARDSROLL!
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

The whole small school enrollment thing is tired. Some examples that all the people from small schools need to remember:

Roseau (AA) - 374
Warroad - 318
Breck - 398

So let's just drop that. There are all sorts of examples of smaller schools that produce fantastic sports teams from time to time. Roseau and Warroad just happen to do it in hockey pretty regularly.

However, given New Ulm's Co-op numbers...
"New Ulm Eagles"
Minnesota Valley Lutheran - 205
New Ulm Cathedral High School - 152
New Ulm High School (HOST) - 589
Sleepy Eye High School - 162
Sleepy Eye Saint Mary's High School - 124
Springfield High School - 176
Total - 1408

The bigger question is... Why aren't they AA??? Teams in AA with smaller enrollments:
Rochester Century - 1275
Rochester John Marshall - 1391
Chanhassen - 1383
Academy of Holy Angels (opt up) - 741
Bloomington Kennedy - 1275
Bemidji - 1145
Grand Rapids - 947
Moorhead - 1356
St. Michael-Albertville - 1314
Cambridge-Isanti - 1367

Something smells here.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

nickel slots wrote:The whole small school enrollment thing is tired. Some examples that all the people from small schools need to remember:

Roseau (AA) - 374
Warroad - 318
Breck - 398

So let's just drop that. There are all sorts of examples of smaller schools that produce fantastic sports teams from time to time. Roseau and Warroad just happen to do it in hockey pretty regularly.

However, given New Ulm's Co-op numbers...
"New Ulm Eagles"
Minnesota Valley Lutheran - 205
New Ulm Cathedral High School - 152
New Ulm High School (HOST) - 589
Sleepy Eye High School - 162
Sleepy Eye Saint Mary's High School - 124
Springfield High School - 176
Total - 1408

The bigger question is... Why aren't they AA??? Teams in AA with smaller enrollments:
Rochester Century - 1275
Rochester John Marshall - 1391
Chanhassen - 1383
Academy of Holy Angels (opt up) - 741
Bloomington Kennedy - 1275
Bemidji - 1145
Grand Rapids - 947
Moorhead - 1356
St. Michael-Albertville - 1314
Cambridge-Isanti - 1367

Something smells here.
I will agree with your argument as it pertains to Roseau & Warrod except to say that with Warroad & Roseau being near the Canadian border, hockey is the primary sport. Down here near the Iowa border, basketball & wrestling are the primary sports.

As for New Ulm not being AA, not sure but I believe they received a waiver due to Springfield not having any players, at least I think that's what it was last year, not sure about this year.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

Yes New Ulm received a waiver to play A because out of all those schools they co-op with; hockey is the only sport in which they field a coop team, of which, when I last looked I beleive out of the multiple schools they are co-oped with they only added about 11 kids to their actual program.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:Yes New Ulm received a waiver to play A because out of all those schools they co-op with; hockey is the only sport in which they field a coop team, of which, when I last looked I beleive out of the multiple schools they are co-oped with they only added about 11 kids to their actual program.
If above is true, then this is fishy as for years Worthington had to play AA under the same circumstances. They had one or two kids from coop schools play for them which with total enrollments threw them into the AA bracket so they always had to venture to Rochester or Lakeville to get womped in the first round of the Section tournament. There are a couple years they fielded some good teams that would have faired well in their Section A tournament if they could have used your above interpretation & played Class A.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

new2coachin wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:Yes New Ulm received a waiver to play A because out of all those schools they co-op with; hockey is the only sport in which they field a coop team, of which, when I last looked I beleive out of the multiple schools they are co-oped with they only added about 11 kids to their actual program.
If above is true, then this is fishy as for years Worthington had to play AA under the same circumstances. They had one or two kids from coop schools play for them which with total enrollments threw them into the AA bracket so they always had to venture to Rochester or Lakeville to get womped in the first round of the Section tournament. There are a couple years they fielded some good teams that would have faired well in their Section A tournament if they could have used your above interpretation & played Class A.
If I'm not mistaken, the rules were amended recently so teams such as worthington are not forced to go up to AA based on Co-Op enrollment. This creates some gray area's where teams who's enrollment puts them over the AA limit are allowed to petition to play at A as opposed to it being so cut and dry.
notSoFast

quarter picks

Post by notSoFast »

Winners
Luverene - This bandwagon puts another patsy to the pile
New Ulm - One word describes this team - synchronicity
Hutch - Speed Kills
Marshall - Grit will get you a long way in this section
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

New Ulm and LeSeuer were given waivers to play, actually stay, in class A because they picked up kids from a school (or co-op) that dropped hockey unexpectedly. By picking these programs up New Ulm and LeSeuer weren't penalized for allowing participation by students who wouldn't otherwise been able to play. The MSHSL doesn't force co-ops, if a kid from XYZ wants to play hockey and his school doesn't offer hockey they won't force a school that offers hockey to co-op.

In this case New Ulm picked up a school after sections had been set and the school they picked up was expected to field a hockey team when sections were set in March. Things changed and Sleepy Eye could no longer field a team but had players.

In my opinion New Ulm did the right thing in giving those kids a place to play and the MSHSL did the right thing by not penalizing New Ulm for letting kids play. This March however we know Sleepy Eye won't field a team so if New Ulm stays with the co-op they'll probably, and rightly by the rules be placed in AA.

The rules for a co-op still include all of the kids in the member schools, see Dodge County, Como Park, Winona, River Lakes, etc as examples. All of which would be A schools if not for the co-op counting method.