Section 3A (2012-13 Season)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 3A this year (2012-13)?

Hutch
27%
Marshall
15%
New Ulm Area
21%
Windom
2%
LDC
3%
Luverne
32%

Total votes: 66

roundhead

Post by roundhead »

notTONIGHT wrote:[quote="Without him wow Luverne would struggle in this one had he been playing now minus him Friday Night in Hutch's Backyard YIKES...

I think Hutch makes a statement
What quantifies a statement ? Is just a W a statement for this hutch squad with over 3 times as many losses as wins? And yes, Luverne will NOT have its full roster for this game tonight. If Hutch doesnt make a statement, thats a pretty loud statement in itself...[/quote]

My statement: Luverne 5, Hutch 2.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Luverne wins 5-1 at hutch.

90% of the garbage section3ahockey scout spews on on this forum is exactly that, garbage. However, he was right about one thing with Hutchinson. They were looking to send a message to the section and they did. Luverne traveled 3+ hrs to hutch's "backyard" with a depleted roster and whipped hutch 5-1. Anyone who saw the game knows it was not close. Statement received loud and clear by 3A. "yikes" hutch
rollCARDSroll

Post by rollCARDSroll »

ROLL cards ROLL!

Good Job, good effort tonight hutch. Good luck in the playoffs!

Back to business for the cardinals.

ROLL cards ROLL!!!!
notSoFast

Post by notSoFast »

Kudo's to the cards - nice effort and deserve the number one seed in the section

It will be interesting to see how the section bracket works out.
letsgowild

Post by letsgowild »

Here's how i see the seedings.

1-NewUlm (did not lose a section game)
2-Luverne (only lost to Marshall)
3-Marshall (only team to beat Luverne)
4-Litch (beat hutch and Marshall)
5-Hutch (best of the rest)
6-Windom
7-Redwood
8-Worthington
9-Fairmont
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

letsgowild wrote:Here's how i see the seedings.

6-Windom
7-Redwood
8-Worthington
9-Fairmont
Would like to hear why you have windom below hutch? Windom beat Marshall. Windom is a 5 seed at the worst IMO.
letsgowild

Post by letsgowild »

notTONIGHT wrote:

6-Windom
7-Redwood
8-Worthington
9-Fairmont
Would like to hear why you have windom below hutch? Windom beat Marshall. Windom is a 5 seed at the worst IMO.
(Just a prediction) I guess it could go either way.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

letsgowild wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

6-Windom
7-Redwood
8-Worthington
9-Fairmont
Not trying to dwell on it, but am curious to hear any logic as to how Hutch does get seeded above Windom? Windom beat Marshall. Hutch does not have a win that I can find that gives them anything better than six. Other than history, Hutch doesnt bring much this season. I guess you could argue Hutch beat Litch. But is that enough?
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greeting Section 3A Followers,

Well I am guessing seeds will come out sometime this week. Playoffs only a week a way! Should be fun to see what happens. I really believe that any of the top 6 teams can win this section!

Seeds are determined by the Coaches:

Here are my thoughts if I was a betting man….

Which I am not this year…. :oops:

I think 7-9 seeds should be pretty simple:
9 seeds Fairmont (2-16-1)-
Only 2 wins this year were swept by Worthington and spilt with Redwood Valley. Bright spot Colton Cunning kid has been steady in the nets sees close to 40 to 50 shots a nights only a sophomore something to build on Fairmont.

8 seed Worthington (2-15-0)- Swept Fairmont but got swept by Redwood Valley. Losing to Redwood last week cost the Trojans the 7 seed. This is a senior heavy team I thought for sure they would be better then they were this year. However, Rylan in the nets can get very hot the Trojans in this years down 3A could pull off a cinderalla upset.

7 seed Redwood Valley- (3-11-0)- Beating Worthington in OT last week sewed up the 7 spot for Redwood. Has been a tough year for Redwood very short on numbers and game only playing around 16 game schedule this year….. OUCH not good for their program.

Reason Why Seeds 7-9 are Easy:
Everyone of these 3 teams plays each other and going by head to head match ups it makes things simple... Where as you will see as we move forward the problem in this Section is that we lack those head to head match ups in some key seed debates

Seeds 6 and 5 get tricky:
6 seed Hutchinson (5-17-0)-
Coaches vote and the majority of the teams voting have played Windom and not Hutch. Also, very tough put a team with a (5-17-0) any higher then 6. Last year LDC was (5-20-0) and got the 6 seed. I think Hutch is still very dangerous they have a lot of talent on this team but have not put it together at all own a (1-4-0) Section 3A Record and are currently in the Basement of the Wright County. To me it screams 6 SEED……

5 seed Windom (12-9-0)- Winning 12 games possibly 13 if they take care of Redwood on Tuesday should give them a 5 seeds. They have a win over Marshall, which helps because Hutch lost to Marshall. They have a decent Section 3A Record (6-3-0), which is much better then Hutch. Could argue strength of schedule I suppose but still a 12 win team with better in Section Record I think justifies a 5 seeds here.

The Solution to this debate is Simple:
This one was Sticky to sort out here is an easy solution if Hutch doesn’t like this thought PUT WINDOM ON YOUR SCHEDULE! Same rant I will talk about later but its not like Hutch didn’t know Windom would be decent last year they played in the playoffs it was a 6-5 game. Hutch needs to play more section teams because playing and getting hammered by Wright County Teams night after night really proves nothing. Windom needs more games and better teams…Would make sense on both ends to play.

Seeds 3 and 4 get more tricky:
Seed 4 Marshall (11-9-1)- This one is tough they one good wins over Luverne & Hutch but also were beaten by Windom and beaten soundly by Luverne the 2nd meeting and swept by New Ulm. The deciding factor here is they lost to LDC head to head. Pros are they own a better Section 3A record (8-5-0) then LDC however, generally you look at head to head when teams are this close Litch wins the ending argument.

Seed 3 Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato (8-14-0)- Not a very good record but own wins over Redwood a split with Hutch and the big one here is they beat Marshall head to head. Negatives are they don’t play most of the Section they don’t play most of the section and own a below .500 record. There bad loss is Hutch where as Marshall’s is windom.

Tough call but Head to Head most likely Wins Out:
This one is such a Toss up Marshall has wins over Luverne and Hutch but LDC beat Marshall head to head….. I think it could either way. I just think in the end coaches look at head to head and give the Dragons the nod.

Then comes Seeds 1 and 2: More of a uncertainty

Seed 2 Luverne (20-3-1)- They have a very good overall record they have blown out most 3A teams they have played this year. However, the early December loss to Marshall stings. They have a better overall record then New Ulm by a lot. However New Ulm is unbeaten in the Section and but Marshall Twice Luverne did not… But looking at common opponents New Ulm Spilt with Dodge County and Luverne Swept Dodge County. But Dodge county is not 3A team and Marshall. Just some common opponents argument.

Seed 1 New Ulm (11-12-1) they are the 3 time defending section and own an undefeated Section 3A record. That is the good the bad is they are below .500 and they didn’t play Section 3A teams (Luverne, Windom, Redwood Valley & Worthington). Not playing those teams could hurt them in seeds. They do play a tough schedule though and are 3 time champs. The undefeated Section record is why I put them at #1 and being that they are number one till someone in this section knocks them no matter what they get seeded.

REALLY DON’T GET WHY NEW ULM AND LUEVERNE DON’T PLAY… would make this a lot easier. Not like New Ulm didn’t know Luverne would be good this year and not like Lueverne couldn’t use better opponents on their schedule. Makes since for both teams.

This is such a toss up here is why:
Section teams like (Windom, Redwood Valley, Worthington) have seen Luverne and been out scored 54 to 4 in those 6 games by Lueverne. The coaches vote do they vote a team they have seen twice and been thoroughly handled by #1 or a team like New Ulm who will not play them but claims to their undefeated Selective 3A Schedule argument.

I could honestly see it going either way…… Like I said last year easy way to fix this play everyone in your section at least once then this whole mess gets easier. Not sure if my thoughts matter to anyone and again it is the coaches in this Section opinions that will matter in the end.

Sincerely,
Your SW Source Of Hockey Knowledge
:D 3AScout :D
woodpencil

Post by woodpencil »

6 Windom - stop Travis, and you win...played Marshall close the second time. still a fan of the head coach
5 Hutch - good - could be dangerous, but just not what they have been in the past. I think they would beat Marshall or Litch in the section tournament, but have to give them the 5 because of the head to head games
4 Marshall - had some good talented kids here that will graduate, but the program is falling apart fast. started strong and gets weaker which can be attributed to the head coach from what I hear. Also have multiple injuries especially on the defensive side of the puck.
3 LDC not nearly as good as the past some very talented kids and a good goalie, but also lacking in the head coaching department. Not sure why they can't put something better together with the kids they have.
2 Luverne. building a good program. needs to play New Ulm. Needs to play a MUCH tougher schedule; plays too many nonchallenging teams. Tough loss to Marshall early in the season when Marshall still knew how to play hockey, and bad loss to Morris. Nice win against Hutch.
1 New Ulm. hate to say it. They are also weaker this year, and Luverne should be able to beat them.
woodpencil

Post by woodpencil »

notTONIGHT wrote:
letsgowild wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote: Would like to hear why you have windom below hutch? Windom beat Marshall. Windom is a 5 seed at the worst IMO.
Not trying to dwell on it, but am curious to hear any logic as to how Hutch does get seeded above Windom? Windom beat Marshall. Hutch does not have a win that I can find that gives them anything better than six. Other than history, Hutch doesnt bring much this season. I guess you could argue Hutch beat Litch. But is that enough?
The tendency to whining and complaining may be taken as the surest sign or symptom of little souls and inferior intellects. ~Lord Jeffrey

I'm on your side, but let the boys play and quit whining.
twitter

Post by twitter »

I believe Hutch is in the Wright County Conf. So It would be hard for them to drop any of those games to go and play in the SW. They could drop a non confrence game to play a SW team. But given the opertunity to keep a better team on your schedule I would go with keeping the better team. Look at how much better New Ulm has gotten by finally trying to schedule better teams. As far as seeding goes. you need to play your best hockey and beat 3-4 teams depending on your seed. Good Luck to all the teams the next two weeks.
notSoFast

Who dont you want to see in your side of the bracket

Post by notSoFast »

Being New Ulm and Luverne will be on oposing side of the brackets. Which team do they not want to see on their side?

Who are the teams in the semi finals that are going to give them problems?
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

6-Windom
7-Redwood
8-Worthington
9-Fairmont
One week left but here is how I see the rankings (not seedings):

1. Luverne- as I said at the beginning of the year...they win this section
2. NU- will be there at the end because of their experience and coaching
3. Hutch- shows you how good Luverne is when these guys get beat handily at home without Luverne being 100%. Hutch should make some noise.
4. Litch- Can't see them getting past 1-3.
5. Marshall- haven't seen them play since early in year but with injuries (if they still are affected) might be a quick out.
6. Windom- Need to get a much tougher schedule to build program. Saw them twice and was not impressed.
7. Redwood- no shot
8. Worthington- shows how bad Fairmont is this year
9. Fairmont
notTONIGHT

Re: Who dont you want to see in your side of the bracket

Post by notTONIGHT »

notSoFast wrote:Being New Ulm and Luverne will be on oposing side of the brackets. Which team do they not want to see on their side?

Who are the teams in the semi finals that are going to give them problems?
New Ulm a one goal game with Hutch early in the year. Also beat Hutch by one goal, and then by two goals most recently. They blew out Marshall.

Luverne got beat by Marshall early in the season, beat Litch by two a few days later. And blew out Hutch Saturday.

The team to fear is the one with a hot goalie. Which is to be determined.

Stubbe with Windom, Wahl with Litch, Campion with Marshall, Or Buss for Hutch? Whichever one stands up and locks it down will be the team to be scared of.

Litch is the team that shouldnt be overlooked in my opinion. Whoever gets the two seed will probably face them, I think they will be the three seed.
Interesting Litch still has three games left to play this week. No pre-playoff rest for the dragons.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

i hope they give the one seed to Luverne, it doesnt really matter but i'm sure they'd like it. the cards got two nosebleeds this year one against marshall, luverne was shorthanded and meyer wasnt on his game. the second was against morris and that came on a saturday after a friday night game against a team that can surprise s/w teams, again meyer not so hot. having said that i think meyer comes up big in big games luverne won the most significant game in the section when they beat princeton.
New Ulm may get the nod but do they deserve it? new ulm plays a number of teams that arnt nearly as good a luverne. they should make room.
a year ago new ulm played luverne and barely got the win. New Ulm's a weaker team than a year ago Luvernes stronger.
Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 »

IMO, Luverne is the best team in this section. It's disappointing that new Ulm will more then likely will get the number 1 seed which I'm still trying to figure out HOW? Don't get me wrong new Ulm is a successful team for this section but after the loss of what, 12 seniors, they some how found a way to be the # 1. I haven't seen them play yet this year, but can someone who has seen them play tell me how they are being semi successful?

Either way I still predict for Luverne making the trip to state this year.. The eagles time I think has ran out, and there will be crowned a new section champion this year...

But, good luck to all teams. Should be an exciting section playoffs this year.
p_cku

Post by p_cku »

A simple solution to all the seeding questions would be that New Ulm just play Luverne. But their coach will not play them. Look how many seeding questions were answer this season just by LDC and Hutch playing Luverne.

But why should NU play Luverne they don't have to becasue they know they will still get the Number one seed. Until the Section Coaches stands up to the Big Three aka NU, LDC and Hutch seeding always going to be a joke in Section 3A.

Luverne coaches have done everything possible to improve their strength of schedule but they have a hard time getting teams to come to Luverne and they can't play all road games either.

Just stating the facts.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

What good did it to for Hutch and Litch to play luverne this year?
Prior to the Hutch Luverne game, 60 +% of people who answered the poll thought Hutch would win. If Hutch would have simply avoided allowing Luverne to drive the 3 hrs to beat them up, that aura of ignorance would still be thriving.
Last year Litch came to Luverne in the playoffs, and fans all around 3A fully expected Litch to handle the Cardinals. Same story, Luverne destroyed the Dragons.
Setterholm is very smart, not playing Luverne is the perfect situation for his squad. There is not ONE reason that benefits him (all about him) to play Luverne. ESPECIALLY if he continues to get the #1 seed.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

notTONIGHT wrote:What good did it to for Hutch and Litch to play luverne this year?
Prior to the Hutch Luverne game, 60 +% of people who answered the poll thought Hutch would win. If Hutch would have simply avoided allowing Luverne to drive the 3 hrs to beat them up, that aura of ignorance would still be thriving.
Last year Litch came to Luverne in the playoffs, and fans all around 3A fully expected Litch to handle the Cardinals. Same story, Luverne destroyed the Dragons.
Setterholm is very smart, not playing Luverne is the perfect situation for his squad. There is not ONE reason that benefits him (all about him) to play Luverne. ESPECIALLY if he continues to get the #1 seed.
I Love seeing the smallest 3A school contending for the #1 spot in this section against the largest school. What would New Ulm be without the Sleepy Eye cooperative? Most of us SW MN coaches have seen this day coming for years. I believe New Ulm coaching has recognized this day was coming also, & that's why they do not schedule Luverne & needed to coop w/Sleepy Eye :lol:
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

I'm pretty sure that the New Ulm/ Sleepy Eye co-op was done to save Sleepy Eye's program from being cut. Also, last time I checked, I think the New Ulm program gained something like 8 kids from Sleepy Eye, one of which was seeing regular varsity playing time.

They were not a co-op for years and the New Ulm program seemed to do just fine.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:I'm pretty sure that the New Ulm/ Sleepy Eye co-op was done to save Sleepy Eye's program from being cut. Also, last time I checked, I think the New Ulm program gained something like 8 kids from Sleepy Eye, one of which was seeing regular varsity playing time.

They were not a co-op for years and the New Ulm program seemed to do just fine.
For years, some of the better players from Sleepy Eye open enrolled to play in New Ulm. Give Luverne, Windom, Marshall, LDC, or Hutch 8 players from a nearby hockey program & tell me that will not improve how well they perform. The problem small SW MN programs have is putting together 3 decent lines (heck, putting together 2 decent lines is tough). In New Ulm's case it saves them from being a 3 or 4 seed this year. If you combine any two programs, the end result is going to be a better team. Suggesting that New Ulm would be no different without Sleepy Eye is naive.
notSoFast

top seeds

Post by notSoFast »

Not sure why everyone is bent out of shape on who is one and not one. Lets just call them Co number ones.

They both are on one side of the bracket and will get one home game. After that the Semi finals will hold a challenge for both teams.
new2coachin

Re: top seeds

Post by new2coachin »

notSoFast wrote:Not sure why everyone is bent out of shape on who is one and not one. Lets just call them Co number ones.

They both are on one side of the bracket and will get one home game. After that the Semi finals will hold a challenge for both teams.
When/If Luverne & New Ulm make it to the Section finals, being the #1 seed has its advantages during the game from face offs to line changes during whistles.
notSoFast

Re: top seeds

Post by notSoFast »

new2coachin wrote:
notSoFast wrote:Not sure why everyone is bent out of shape on who is one and not one. Lets just call them Co number ones.

When/If Luverne & New Ulm make it to the Section finals, being the #1 seed has its advantages during the game from face offs to line changes during whistles.
Good point - I am sure they will enjoy the oppurtunity to haggle about that when the time comes