The Real Season

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GTTN

The Real Season

Post by GTTN »

I can't tell you how happy I am that summer hockey is over so we don't have to hear about that nonsense anymore! Bring on association hockey!
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

I'm going to miss the touch-up offside rule.
ThePuckStopsHere

Re: The Real Season

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

GTTN wrote:I can't tell you how happy I am that summer hockey is over so we don't have to hear about that nonsense anymore! Bring on association hockey!
Couldn't agree more, it's always a breath of fresh air to see homegrown players committed to their community and the kids they have grown up with working hard and building memories :wink:
DrGaf

Re: The Real Season

Post by DrGaf »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
GTTN wrote:I can't tell you how happy I am that summer hockey is over so we don't have to hear about that nonsense anymore! Bring on association hockey!
Couldn't agree more, it's always a breath of fresh air to see homegrown players committed to their community and the kids they have grown up with working hard and building memories :wink:
reeeeeeeally gonig to cut in on ice-fishing time though :(
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Barry: That's funny the offside rule is what you'll miss about super-duper elite off-season hockey? Will take you a few games to stop sreaming DUMP IT IN?
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Barry: That's funny the offside rule is what you'll miss about super-duper elite off-season hockey? Will take you a few games to stop sreaming DUMP IT IN?
IMO, the occasional dump in was worth it to reduce the number of whistles. I enjoy long stretches of hockey without a stoppage. Other people enjoy face-offs.
observer

Post by observer »

IMO, the occasional dump in was worth it to reduce the number of whistles. I enjoy long stretches of hockey without a stoppage. Other people enjoy face-offs.
Your little guy will learn. What we're teaching them now is it's a possession game so don't throw it away.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Barry: I agree pumping the puck in for deliberate off-side whistles is awful. Which is why good coaches teach a neutral zone regroup. The only off-side whistle our team gets are accidental which won't change with tag-up
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Barry: I agree pumping the puck in for deliberate off-side whistles is awful. Which is why good coaches teach a neutral zone regroup. The only off-side whistle our team gets are accidental which won't change with tag-up
Isnt the reason for the tag-up rule to keep the game flowing because of an accidental offside? The ref can blow any intentional offside dump at his discretion or say if a player is deeper than the top of the circle, I dont think that is too much to ask our officials. Not a fan of auto-offside, I have seen too many 60 minute clocks expire in 1 goal games.
observer

Post by observer »

I dont think that is too much to ask our officials.
Try the coaches.
I have seen too many 60 minute clocks expire in 1 goal games.
Historically that has been early in the PeeWee season as the kids get used to checking, how the refs call it, and taking to many "not worth the risk" penalties. Now that checking has moved to Bantam more PeeWee games will finish on time.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

edgeless2 wrote:Isnt the reason for the tag-up rule to keep the game flowing because of an accidental offside? The ref can blow any intentional offside dump at his discretion or say if a player is deeper than the top of the circle, I dont think that is too much to ask our officials. Not a fan of auto-offside, I have seen too many 60 minute clocks expire in 1 goal games.
I guess I am lucky, I don't see any 1 hour games.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

edgeless: No accidental off-side is when a player makes that last move at the blueline and puts his linemate off-side. When the puck comes out of the zone, and the D hammers it back in with the other 4 players "tagging up". That is the problem I have.

I watched 2 high school games over the week-end. The refs can't even get tag up right. The "off-side" team continued forechecking and the ref kept yelling OFF. Several times had 2 man forecheck with the ref yelling OFF. When you're off-side, you tag up or whistle blows. No need to yell OFF 10 times.

I do agree there are some instances that it is seamless and does move the game along. But puck possession is the primary reason for the auto call.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

BadgerBob82 wrote:edgeless: No accidental off-side is when a player makes that last move at the blueline and puts his linemate off-side. When the puck comes out of the zone, and the D hammers it back in with the other 4 players "tagging up". That is the problem I have.

I watched 2 high school games over the week-end. The refs can't even get tag up right. The "off-side" team continued forechecking and the ref kept yelling OFF. Several times had 2 man forecheck with the ref yelling OFF. When you're off-side, you tag up or whistle blows. No need to yell OFF 10 times.

I do agree there are some instances that it is seamless and does move the game along. But puck possession is the primary reason for the auto call.
Ha ha. Sounds like adult-league refs who often find it more convenient to yell "OFF" till they're hoarse than to actually blow the whistle. If I were an attacking forward, I'd force the whistle. Tagging up is basically conceding the face off to the other team -- and letting the ref continue to cash his check without having to drop the puck.
hockeygoof1

Post by hockeygoof1 »

I guess I am in the minority, but I really prefer summer hockey. At least for my kid, the coaching has always been better -- hands down.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

Goof, you are correct. Summer season, at least for my son and daughter and our family, makes the winter season look like a complete gong show.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

But where else can you see pure talent in the winter season like Gene Gene the dancing machine?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Well, this should shape up nicely to be the same old yearly thread that pits association haters against all the limp-wristed community-based hockey patsies.

We could cut to the chase and just say "IT DEPENDS ON WHICH SUMMER HOCKEY PROGRAMS AND WHICH ASSOCIATIONS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT," but that would rob the board of the endless apocalyptic chatter about "not IF but WHEN tier-1, Triple-A hockey arrives in Minnesota."

Sorry, after a few seasons you begin to recognize patterns -- and this one is second behind the Machine vs. Blades topic.

On the bright side, that you bring it up definitely indicates the changing of the guard that happens every September, right along with the changing leaves... The association haters start to get outnumbered again by us regular folks.
hockeygoof1

Post by hockeygoof1 »

Shinbone_News wrote:Well, this should shape up nicely to be the same old yearly thread that pits association haters against all the limp-wristed community-based hockey patsies.

We could cut to the chase and just say "IT DEPENDS ON WHICH SUMMER HOCKEY PROGRAMS AND WHICH ASSOCIATIONS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT," but that would rob the board of the endless apocalyptic chatter about "not IF but WHEN tier-1, Triple-A hockey arrives in Minnesota."

Sorry, after a few seasons you begin to recognize patterns -- and this one is second behind the Machine vs. Blades topic.

On the bright side, that you bring it up definitely indicates the changing of the guard that happens every September, right along with the changing leaves... The association haters start to get outnumbered again by us regular folks.
You lost me a bit there. No Blades, no Machine. Just responding to a thread. I prefer summer. I think coaching is better. Been lucky enough to have very good coaches who don't have a kid on the team. Been on a decent team with good kids and nice parents. Even a couple of hot moms that like to drink. That's always a bonus. :D
McLuvin

Post by McLuvin »

Look at the dump in from another perspective. It gives the defensive team possession of the puck with the opportunity to develop a break out and attack through the neutral zone. Is that not skill development? Lining up for another neutral zone face off is not skill development.

Retrieving the puck, completing a deep zone regroup, breaking out of the zone, attacking through the neutral zone, and offensive forechecking are all skills being developed instead of the game stopping to watch an overweight 55 year old skate to get the puck and drop it for a face off. :wink:

Keep the game moving!!!
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

McLuvin wrote:Retrieving the puck, completing a deep zone regroup, breaking out of the zone, attacking through the neutral zone, and offensive forechecking are all skills being developed instead of the game stopping to watch an overweight 55 year old skate to get the puck and drop it for a face off. :wink:
Why is the alternative to tag up offsides "watching an overweight 55 year old skate to get the puck and drop it for a face off"?

This implies that either 1) kids aren't capable of being taught to regroup at center and so have to shoot the puck in or 2) coaches demand the safe play of shooting the puck in.

Both of those reasons can be overcome. There really is nothing exciting about a team having a free play in their own defensive end.
loveitorleaveit

Post by loveitorleaveit »

elliott70 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:Isnt the reason for the tag-up rule to keep the game flowing because of an accidental offside? The ref can blow any intentional offside dump at his discretion or say if a player is deeper than the top of the circle, I dont think that is too much to ask our officials. Not a fan of auto-offside, I have seen too many 60 minute clocks expire in 1 goal games.
I guess I am lucky, I don't see any 1 hour games.
Thats because you need to drive so far up der.

You can't have a game shorter than the drive :lol: