Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theoldref

Post by theoldref »

notTONIGHT wrote:
topched17 wrote:Here's what I see shaking out in 3A this year:

Quarterfinals

New Ulm will dominate whoever they play in the quarters. It's that simple.

Hutch will get beat by Windom with an empty netter. No true goal scorer for Hutch. Nielsen, and both Adams brothers cant bury. They haven't impressed me at all this year.

Litch will get beat by Luverne, by at least 3 goals. Litch has no scoring and the coaching is subpar at best, can't light a fire under his team to get them going. Litch will be done as of next Thursday.

Marshall will walk all over Fairmont.

Semis

New Ulm will take care of Windom in easy fashion like their quarter final game. Chalk New Ulm in the section final at Gustavus right now.

Luverne will beat Marshall for a second time this season, and I think it'll come pretty easy. Luverne has the talent to win.

Finals

New Ulm and Luverne meeting in the finals. A rematch of the blow out last year in New Ulm. This time it'll be a closer game, with New Ulm coming out on top.

New Ulm will WALK through this section with ease.[/u]
This seems about spot on,

However, Luverne Lost to Marshall last year in the playoffs. Not New Ulm.
I agree with everything except with Windom beating Hutchinson. Just curious as to why you think Windom will beat Hutch? Windom almost did it 3 years ago when the Hutch team went to state, Windom lost that game 3-1 with one goal being an empty netter, so Windom has kept it close against Hutch in the playoffs. We'll see though, maybe they can pull it off, but it's a pretty big stretch.
SouthernMNHockey

Post by SouthernMNHockey »

Games from last night....

Becker/Big Lake slipped by Fairmont 5-3. Fairmont ends their season at 5-17.

Marshall handled Sioux Falls 5-2. Marshall finishes up their #2 seed worthy regular season at 15-7.

New Ulm beat Waseca to go 6-0 in the section for the 8th straight year. finishing up their #1 seed campaign at 14-11.

My Playoff previews coming up sooooon!
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

SouthernMNHockey wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
topched17 wrote:Here's what I see shaking out in 3A this year:

Quarterfinals

New Ulm will dominate whoever they play in the quarters. It's that simple.

Hutch will get beat by Windom with an empty netter. No true goal scorer for Hutch. Nielsen, and both Adams brothers cant bury. They haven't impressed me at all this year.

Litch will get beat by Luverne, by at least 3 goals. Litch has no scoring and the coaching is subpar at best, can't light a fire under his team to get them going. Litch will be done as of next Thursday.

Marshall will walk all over Fairmont.

Semis

New Ulm will take care of Windom in easy fashion like their quarter final game. Chalk New Ulm in the section final at Gustavus right now.

Luverne will beat Marshall for a second time this season, and I think it'll come pretty easy. Luverne has the talent to win.

Finals

New Ulm and Luverne meeting in the finals. A rematch of the blow out last year in New Ulm. This time it'll be a closer game, with New Ulm coming out on top.

New Ulm will WALK through this section with ease.[/u]
This seems about spot on,

However, Luverne Lost to Marshall last year in the playoffs. Not New Ulm.
I believe he is reffering to 2 years ago when New Ulm put 11 up on Luverne in the semis.
That must have been the reference, but what happened in a game 2 years ago means about as much as a game 20 years ago.. I still think New Ulm is the favorite and the section goes thru them.
Barry McConell

Re: enrollment

Post by Barry McConell »

[quote="Bhindthemask"][quote="Barry McConell"]bigger enrollment means more athletes which in turn means not all of the best athletes are playing hockey. just because luverne's enrollment is small, it doesn't mean they would be better if they had more students. It just means they would have more plugs for their jv team.[/quote]

Sorry Barry, you are wrong. Larger enrollment means more students. More students means more athletes. More athletes means more talent. More talent means a deeper bench. A deeper bench means more solid lines. You follow me so far? This would also explain why teams like Luverne and Windom are so up and down. Some years the talent plays basketball, some years the talent wrestles. With Luverne having the ability to field a JV squad, I would guess that the basketball and wrestling teams have very short rosters, and are not winning a lot of games/matches. If enrollment didn't matter there would not be two classes, and the winner of this section would still be a doormat to the X. Ask NU if enrollment matters next year when they a playing AA. Not whining, not cheer leading, simply stating facts.[/quote]

It still doesn't mean they would be better because it doesn't mean those students who had more talent would play hockey.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Barry, stop being dumb. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You're trying argue just to argue.
feller

Post by feller »

Regarding NU's enrollment for class A. From what I understand. Upon the merger they applied for a two year (recieved one) variance from the cut off because SE and SESM had paired with Springfield (enrlmnt 176) in the past. Springfield has 1 individual playing hockey. So NU could have mergered with SE and SESM and broken the co-op with Springfield and left that kid out or the State could grant the waiver, which they did for one year.

I would suspect that next year the state will not grant the variance and the co-op with Springfield will be broken. Springfield would then have time to co-op with Redwood (they didn't and wouldn't of had time to do that this year because the merger took place quite late).

So NU is and has been one of the, if not the "biggest" school in the Section, maybe explains things.

I was surprized when I say Hutch at only 762. I would have thought they were bigger.
draglax44

Re: enrollment

Post by draglax44 »

Barry McConell wrote:
Bhindthemask wrote:
Barry McConell wrote:bigger enrollment means more athletes which in turn means not all of the best athletes are playing hockey. just because luverne's enrollment is small, it doesn't mean they would be better if they had more students. It just means they would have more plugs for their jv team.
Sorry Barry, you are wrong. Larger enrollment means more students. More students means more athletes. More athletes means more talent. More talent means a deeper bench. A deeper bench means more solid lines. You follow me so far? This would also explain why teams like Luverne and Windom are so up and down. Some years the talent plays basketball, some years the talent wrestles. With Luverne having the ability to field a JV squad, I would guess that the basketball and wrestling teams have very short rosters, and are not winning a lot of games/matches. If enrollment didn't matter there would not be two classes, and the winner of this section would still be a doormat to the X. Ask NU if enrollment matters next year when they a playing AA. Not whining, not cheer leading, simply stating facts.
It still doesn't mean they would be better because it doesn't mean those students who had more talent would play hockey.
Really Barry? If you double the students I'm pretty sure you double your student athletes...

If you were to take a look at the history of Luverne's hockey program you would see how the hockey program has been a roller coaster. If you dig a little more you would see in the middle of the past decade you would see that the basketball team went to state for a few years and the hockey team wasn't very good. Some age groups have a lot of hockey players and some have more in basketball or wrestling. With limited student athletes Luverne will always have this problem, but you cannot deny that the town puts out good teams at times.

Organized hockey is only around 25 years old in Luverne. Many of the players that started the hockey program in Luverne have kids that are just starting to play hockey. The town will just get better and better as the program evolves...
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

CherryPicker99 wrote:Barry, stop being dumb. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You're trying argue just to argue.

If this was twitter I would say RT for Truth! Cmon Barry, this is preposterous. More Student athletes mean more talent from any school.
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

new2coachin wrote:
Bhindthemask wrote:
new2coachin wrote:Interesting figures: New Ulm cooped enrollment: 1408 (1275 is the A/AA cutoff)
Marshall cooped enrollment: 1186
LDC cooped enrollment: 1038
Windom cooped enrollment: 924
Hutch enrollment: 762
Luverne cooped enrollment: 467 (smallest enrollment in 3A)
Can't help but pull for the underdogs!
Good take coach. I'm glad someone finally made a point of this. Imagine what Luverne could do with New Ulm's enrollment.

Those numbers speak volumes.

So.... how does NU get away with this?
New Ulm this year would probably be a 4-5 seed without Sleepy Eye. Imagine if Windom & Luverne were allowed to combine & play A (combined enrollment of 1391, still lower than NU this year)
The top nine point leaders for New Ulm are from N.U. public school, so they don't get a lot of help from the coop !
1 kid from Springfield (on jv)
1 kid from MVL (on jv)
2 kids from Cathedral ( 1 not playing injured,1 on varsity)
4 kids from S.E. that play varsity ,and a few that play jv.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Sheetice wrote:
new2coachin wrote:
Bhindthemask wrote: Good take coach. I'm glad someone finally made a point of this. Imagine what Luverne could do with New Ulm's enrollment.

New Ulm this year would probably be a 4-5 seed without Sleepy Eye. Imagine if Windom & Luverne were allowed to combine & play A (combined enrollment of 1391, still lower than NU this year)
The top nine point leaders for New Ulm are from N.U. public school, so they don't get a lot of help from the coop !
1 kid from MVL (on jv)
5 varsity players dont make a difference? are you serious? FIVE players? Cmon man.... Lets wake up and realize that 5 players make a difference... If you dont think that five kids out of what?? 15 -17 thats 30 -33% of team. that wont make a difference??? Lets.. Get...SERIOUS!
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Luverne beats St. Peter 3-2 but outshot 28-32. Wasn't there. It sounds like it was good game. Also sounds like St. Peter's goalie is the real deal.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

Sheetice wrote:
new2coachin wrote:
Bhindthemask wrote: Good take coach. I'm glad someone finally made a point of this. Imagine what Luverne could do with New Ulm's enrollment.

1 kid from MVL (on jv)
When it comes to small association hockey 5 players is almost half the team.
Barry McConell

Post by Barry McConell »

[quote="notTONIGHT"][quote="CherryPicker99"]Barry, stop being dumb. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You're trying argue just to argue.[/quote]

If this was twitter I would say RT for Truth! Cmon Barry, this is preposterous. More Student athletes mean more talent from any school.[/quote]

Never mind. Maybe if you guys could interpret what is being said and not the way you WANT to interpret it. There may be more talent but I'm just saying that it doesn't mean more talented HOCKEY players. Winona's enrollment is over 2,000 so does that mean they should have a more talented hockey team than Luverne? Obviously not because Luverne beat them.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Barry McConell wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote:Barry, stop being dumb. I mean that in the nicest way possible. You're trying argue just to argue.

If this was twitter I would say RT for Truth! Cmon Barry, this is preposterous. More Student athletes mean more talent from any school.
Never mind. Maybe if you guys could interpret what is being said and not the way you WANT to interpret it. There may be more talent but I'm just saying that it doesn't mean more talented HOCKEY players. Winona's enrollment is over 2,000 so does that mean they should have a more talented hockey team than Luverne? Obviously not because Luverne beat them.

ok barry... if you wanted to start a hockey team, you had 2 choices... one with 500 kids, one with 1500 kids, your telling me your going with 500... because if you are, everyone on here knows everything they will ever need to know about you....WAKE UP! MORE KIDS MEANS MORE TALENT... there is a reason AA schools are seperated from A schools by enrollment not by talent. I really hope you realize you may have made a mental mistake... according to an earlier poster, you must suffer from an acute lack of inteligence, meaning you must be from Luverne. However, your argument leads me to believe you are not from Luverne... Following me? Probably not... which Leads me back to the intitial posters diagnosis... Acute lack of inteligence...
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Sheetice wrote:
new2coachin wrote: New Ulm this year would probably be a 4-5 seed without Sleepy Eye. Imagine if Windom & Luverne were allowed to combine & play A (combined enrollment of 1391, still lower than NU this year)
1 kid from MVL (on jv)
5 varsity players dont make a difference? are you serious? FIVE players? Cmon man.... Lets wake up and realize that 5 players make a difference... If you dont think that five kids out of what?? 15 -17 thats 30 -33% of team. that wont make a difference??? Lets.. Get...SERIOUS!
I never said they don't make a difference, every player on the team makes a difference!!
IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs »

Mitch B and the soaring eagles will kill hutch they probably should have given them a bye for that game then they'll prob go to the da tourney and spank the undefeated Hermantown hawks #Cinderellastoryinthamaking #eaglestothex
sssample54

Post by sssample54 »

nice job by luverne in st pete. maybe not the #1 seed but better offense and goaltender make them better than 2.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

sssample54 were you at the Luverne vs. St. Peter game? If so, was it a pretty even played game or did one team dominate the game?
dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly »

CherryPicker99 wrote:sssample54 were you at the Luverne vs. St. Peter game? If so, was it a pretty even played game or did one team dominate the game?

Here are the goaltender stats as of follow the puck. He claims that the hub is wrong. I'm assuming that's because the coaches can email in and change stats.
http://minnesota-high-school-hockey.blo ... _9472.html
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

dangle snipe n' celly why the goalie stats? I was curious in the overall game. Any thoughts on the Luverne vs. St. Peter game from someone who was there?
dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly »

CherryPicker99 wrote:dangle snipe n' celly why the goalie stats? I was curious in the overall game. Any thoughts on the Luverne vs. St. Peter game from someone who was there?
Meant to quote sssample54 that clearly luvernes goalie is not the top in the section
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Barry McConell wrote:Never mind. Maybe if you guys could interpret what is being said and not the way you WANT to interpret it. There may be more talent but I'm just saying that it doesn't mean more talented HOCKEY players. Winona's enrollment is over 2,000 so does that mean they should have a more talented hockey team than Luverne? Obviously not because Luverne beat them.
Just to clarify, Winona's enrollment is 997.
They are cooped with Cotter/Hope Lutheran/Saint Charles.
Cotter 299, Hope 70, Charles 263, which puts them in AA.

Coops being in AA is so dumb.
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

CherryPicker99 wrote:dangle snipe n' celly why the goalie stats? I was curious in the overall game. Any thoughts on the Luverne vs. St. Peter game from someone who was there?
Talked to a friend who was there and watches LS/SP a lot. Said game was pretty even. Said LS/SP best defenseman got hurt early in P1 and was out the rest of the game that forced them to shift their lines around as they took a forward and moved him to D. Said Amsden was a little off his game. But, he said Luverne played well and definitely matches up well with Marshall and NU...thought better than Hutch. He was really impressed by their skill for still a young team. Should make for an interesting 3A tourney.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Gretzky9 wrote:
Talked to a friend who was there and watches LS/SP a lot. Said game was pretty even. Said LS/SP best defenseman got hurt early in P1 and was out the rest of the game that forced them to shift their lines around as they took a forward and moved him to D. Said Amsden was a little off his game. But, he said Luverne played well and definitely matches up well with Marshall and NU...thought better than Hutch. He was really impressed by their skill for still a young team. Should make for an interesting 3A tourney.
Thanks Gretzky9. I thought this would be an interesting game to watch. On paper it looked to be a pretty even matchup. Luverne is an interesting story heading into the playoffs. I just hope that whoever comes out of this section this year plays good, competitive hockey at the "X". Good luck to all Section 3A teams.
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Hey everyone. Was talking hockey with a couple guys today and we got in to 3A hockey. One guy said Brody Peterson wasn't even all-conference last year. We pulled up Hockey Hub and he led their conference in scoring but we couldn't find anything that said either way. Anyone out there know anything? It would seem strange that the leading scorer in the conference wouldn't make all-conference!

We have a little wager on this...so any help would be appreciated.