Best AA Rochester hockey team

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Best AA Rochester hockey team

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

My opinion is that Mayo is showing they are the team that has defense, goaltending, and team passing. Century has goal scoters and team passing. While JM has goaltending only. What are the opinions of others.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Mayo is improving but still think Century has the better team from top to bottom. JM started OK, but seems to be struggling.

Lourdes remains the best Class A team in Rochester. The loss last year and this week-end to Eau Claire shows that Lourdes falls behind Mayo and Century. One could argue JM has more depth and is the 3rd best team in Rochester.

No question Lourdes has the top scoring line in Rochester. Though transfers from JM, Century and Winona provides the *
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Mayo vs century

In the second matchup of the year mayo won the game 3-1. The score does not indicate the dominance. The first and third period was almost totally in the century defensive end. Century never had any sustained pressure. The second period was the worst I have seen mayo play all year. Terrible defense,passing, and team effort. The only reason century did not put up more than one goal was due to the goaltender standing on his head. Century I have seen three times this year and their goaltending is suspect. They do have goal scorers, but often get bottled up in their zone and can not break out. The goals they score done by quick strike and not by sustained pressure. The good teams will not let quick strike goals happen frequent enough to win games. I do commend century on their strength of schedule and looking to play teams that are more talented than big nine teams. That can often be a difference maker come playoff time.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

I think a fair assessment of their last game. It will be fun to see them in the playoffs. I think they are tied for best team in Rochester at this time. I just feel the edge will go to Century.

Lourdes remains best Class A team in Rochester!
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

I watched the Century vs Lakeville South game and if Century is the best of the Rochester teams.. I would put good money on another all Lakeville final in 1AA
Huskiesfan16

Post by Huskiesfan16 »

Your statement is actually pretty rediculous. First of all, i'd bet money on Lourdes beating Mayo or Century any day of the week. Funk, Farrell, and Samuelson would be too much for any of those AA schools, not to mention the depth that Lourdes holds. The key would be the back end, depending on the goaltending and defense of each squad, Century is very skilled defensively, Mayo has Serretore and Dingle, and that first line isn't bad, but not enough. Your purely going by the A to B to C results. Since Century beat Eau Claire and Lourdes didn't, you say Century would win. I've watched all four teams in Rochester and you just committed a serious fau paw. Let's see all four in the AA kiwanis (shrink it to 8 teams) or add each other to the schedules or something. Other AA schools do it....

Secondly you say funk transfered from Winona. Didn't funks older brother go to Lourdes? Maybe he just followed in his brothers footsteps?
BadgerBob82 wrote:Mayo is improving but still think Century has the better team from top to bottom. JM started OK, but seems to be struggling.

Lourdes remains the best Class A team in Rochester. The loss last year and this week-end to Eau Claire shows that Lourdes falls behind Mayo and Century. One could argue JM has more depth and is the 3rd best team in Rochester.

No question Lourdes has the top scoring line in Rochester. Though transfers from JM, Century and Winona provides the *
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Back on topic

The question was the best AA Rochester school.
Mayo being the best of the three.
[/img]
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

huskiefan: Don't fall for the hype. Lourdes is a cute little team that works hard. But last year, they had far more depth, 4 very solid D and a good goalie. Lost to Eau Claire bigger than this year. Mayo and Century took them to OT. Mayo lost, Century won. That helps show the common opponent theory. But Eau Claire beat Lourdes because of their size, strength, speed and ability to make plays. Lourdes lost because of the D, goaltendening and inability to handle physical play. All three AA schools would grind Lourdes and they'd have trouble as they usually do with AA caliber teams.

You are correct. Both Funk boys know every pothole in Highway 14! When you live in Winona and attend Lourdes, I think it's reasonable to call that a transfer? The other two are more clearly documented. (i.e. sitting out 1 calendar year)
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Common opponents

Don't all four play Albert lea, faribault, or some other teams.
I think there is more than one common opponent
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

BadgerBob82 wrote:huskiefan: Don't fall for the hype. Lourdes is a cute little team that works hard. But last year, they had far more depth, 4 very solid D and a good goalie. Lost to Eau Claire bigger than this year. Mayo and Century took them to OT. Mayo lost, Century won. That helps show the common opponent theory. But Eau Claire beat Lourdes because of their size, strength, speed and ability to make plays. Lourdes lost because of the D, goaltendening and inability to handle physical play. All three AA schools would grind Lourdes and they'd have trouble as they usually do with AA caliber teams.

You are correct. Both Funk boys know every pothole in Highway 14! When you live in Winona and attend Lourdes, I think it's reasonable to call that a transfer? The other two are more clearly documented. (i.e. sitting out 1 calendar year)
alex never attended winona senior high. he enrolled at lourdes as a freshman. taylor did go to lourdes after his freshman year but changed addresses as they have a condo in rochester that they live in. and yeah alex did follow in his brothers footsteps and probably wouldnt have gone there if taylor didnt
Huskiesfan16

Post by Huskiesfan16 »

Sorry Hockeyfan, I just thought since i saw a Lourdes comment I'd give my two cents. My huskies are in no shape of any of these teams, so I like to interject. Hahaha I'll try not to fall for the hype :wink: . they lost to Eau Claire 2-0 last year, and 6-4 this year. Same difference? Unless my math is wrong... They beat tartan 4-2 (AA) school, while Century beat tartan only 3-2. Last year i remember Mayo taking Hibbing to OT while Lourdes lost 4-0 at state. I think we can agree that Heimer and the boys last year would've given Mayo quite a beating. You obviously have something against Lourdes...that much is obvious. But I have a hard time talking to someone who has such wrong facts... Taylor funk, the older, played bantams in Rochester, so we can assume he was going to Lourdes no matter what. From what I recall, Samuelson didn't have to sit out, he transfered before the year started. From my perspective, the last time Lourdes played Mayo, Lourdes sent them back with their tails between their legs (it was 15-2) Grosso won't want that to happen again.
BadgerBob82 wrote:huskiefan: Don't fall for the hype. Lourdes is a cute little team that works hard. But last year, they had far more depth, 4 very solid D and a good goalie. Lost to Eau Claire bigger than this year. Mayo and Century took them to OT. Mayo lost, Century won. That helps show the common opponent theory. But Eau Claire beat Lourdes because of their size, strength, speed and ability to make plays. Lourdes lost because of the D, goaltendening and inability to handle physical play. All three AA schools would grind Lourdes and they'd have trouble as they usually do with AA caliber teams.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

huskie: You are helping make my case. Lourdes remains the best Class A school in Rochester!
Huskiesfan16

Post by Huskiesfan16 »

There is no doubt about that one. But they are also the best overall team in Rochester
BadgerBob82 wrote:huskie: You are helping make my case. Lourdes remains the best Class A school in Rochester!
summer

Post by summer »

Huskiesfan16 wrote:There is no doubt about that one. But they are also the best overall team in Rochester
BadgerBob82 wrote:huskie: You are helping make my case. Lourdes remains the best Class A school in Rochester!
Quality wise, there probably isn't a quality AA team in the whole section! Lourdes may be the best team in Section 1 A/AA, but they do get all their kids from AA schools, so shouldn't they be AA? (I know they play down due to their attendance numbers, using the rule to their advantage)
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

huskiefan: Eau Claire Memorial does not agree Lourdes is the best team in Rochester. You reached back pretty far to find a 15-2 game vs. Mayo? I am talking this year.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Eau Claire

I saw all the Rochester vs eau Claire. The Wisconsin team put great pressure on each of the rochester teams. In each game the puck was held in the eau Claire offensive zones for large amounts of time. The difference was that the mayo and century defense was able to play defense. Also both mayo and century have much better goalies than lourdes. In this case score does tell us a lot. Mayo and century gave up one or two goals while Lourdes defense gave six goals. Lourdes does consistently have better goal scorers and can put up points.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

AA playoffs

Jm, Mayo, Century. Which makes it the farthest in playoffs. There is no doubt Lourdes will be at the excel in march so let's discuss mayo,century, JM.
summer

Re: AA playoffs

Post by summer »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:Jm, Mayo, Century. Which makes it the farthest in playoffs. There is no doubt Lourdes will be at the excel in march so let's discuss mayo,century, JM.
Century, followed by JM, followed by Mayo. One or two and done, whenever they meet a Lakeville team.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Clarify

Are you saying century is the first out or last one out? I an just surprised you think century and JM would outlast mayo. Mayo would be my pick for the longest run in the playoffs.