NAHA - Labor Day Weekend in Vermont

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

joehockey

NAHA - Labor Day Weekend in Vermont

Post by joehockey »

Looks like two U19 MN Jr WhiteCap and a U19 and U16 MN Ice Cats Teams competing this year!

http://www.winter-hawks.org
puckskillz

Post by puckskillz »

The Whitecap 17's must be playing up this yr. They are very talented. Good luck MN teams. They don't practice together and yet they still go out and compete against the top teams in NA that play together nearly yr round. They represent girls hockey in MN very well!

Two MN Champs the past couple yrs.
2009-Whitecaps 17
2010 Icecats 19
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Minnesota teams at NAHA. There is a fifth team from Minnesota. Minnesota Northern Starzz. They played last weekend at St. Louis Park in the Whitecap Jamboree. They looked like mostly Warroad, East Grand Fork and Crookston players that I could identify.
HockeyssmNC

Post by HockeyssmNC »

Knight7 wrote:Minnesota teams at NAHA. There is a fifth team from Minnesota. Minnesota Northern Starzz. They played last weekend at St. Louis Park in the Whitecap Jamboree. They looked like mostly Warroad, East Grand Fork and Crookston players that I could identify.
That Northern Starzz team will give any team they play a game. They are loaded with D-1 recruits. How did they do at the jamboree last weekend?
puckforlife

Post by puckforlife »

HockeyssmNC wrote:
Knight7 wrote:Minnesota teams at NAHA. There is a fifth team from Minnesota. Minnesota Northern Starzz. They played last weekend at St. Louis Park in the Whitecap Jamboree. They looked like mostly Warroad, East Grand Fork and Crookston players that I could identify.
That Northern Starzz team will give any team they play a game. They are loaded with D-1 recruits. How did they do at the jamboree last weekend?

They lost all but one game I think, did not look that sharp. D1 recruits?
HockeyssmNC

Post by HockeyssmNC »

puckforlife wrote:
HockeyssmNC wrote:

They lost all but one game I think, did not look that sharp. D1 recruits?
That is what I have been told. I think the Marvin girls are on that team along with Kayla Gardner...also some Roseau and Crookston girls.
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Northern Starzz beat the Jr.Whitecaps 15's 4-2 ( 9th/ 10th graders). 15's stayed with them all game and had chances to score more.
HockeyssmNC

Post by HockeyssmNC »

Knight7 wrote:Northern Starzz beat the Jr.Whitecaps 15's 4-2 ( 9th/ 10th graders). 15's stayed with them all game and had chances to score more.
Sounds like the Northern Starzz might have some tough games coming up then.
UND

Post by UND »

The Starzz lost 8-1 to the U17 whitecaps. Should be a tough weekend for them.
observer

Post by observer »

Minnesota teams 4-1 in their first games,

http://www.winter-hawks.org/page/show/1 ... tournament

Interestingly, it was likely the best of the Minnesota teams that lost their first game. A little pool misfortune.
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

observer wrote:Minnesota teams 4-1 in their first games,

http://www.winter-hawks.org/page/show/1 ... tournament

Interestingly, it was likely the best of the Minnesota teams that lost their first game. A little pool misfortune.
Correction MN teams were 3-1-1 in their first games. Starzz, Icecats U19 and Icecats U16 all won. Whitecaps Black U19 lost and Whitecaps White U19 tied.

To Date records are:
W-L-T
Icecats U16 2-0-0 4 pts
Whitecaps White U19 1-0-1 3 pts
Icecats U19 1-0-1 3 pts
Starzz U19 1-1-0 2 pts
Whitecaps Black U19 0-1-1 1 pt

Only one more game tonight for MN teams. Whitecaps Black play a tough Little Ceasars team.
moose jaw

Post by moose jaw »

starzz win their pool and advance what do you know their are hockey players north of the metro
moose jaw

Post by moose jaw »

starzz win their pool and advance what do you know their are hockey players north of the metro
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

Pool Play is complete. Only the Starzz in U19 and the Ice Cats in U16 advance. The records are as follows:

U19
Northern Starzz 6 pts 3-1-0 Advance to qtr final vs NAHA White
Ice Cats 5 pts. 1-0-3
Jr Whitecaps White 5 pts. 2-1-1
Jr. Whitecaps Black 3 pts. 1-2-1

U16
Ice Cats 8 pts. 4-0-0 Advance to Semifinal vs Assabet
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

I'm told a couple of the Minnesota rosters that would certainly be considered the stronger Minnesota teams weren't as published and missing key players that would typically be on the team. Sound right? I know at least a couple who were occupied with the IIHF 12 Nations tournament very recently.

I s'pose I sound like a Canadian now every time they lose to a USA team and cry "we didn't have our best players there." :)
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

The U19 Championship game is between NAHA and Little Ceasars. I believe that's 3 years in a row that the Michigan team Little Ceasars is in the U19 Championship game. Last year the Ice Cats beat Little Ceasars and the year before that Little Ceasars beat the Ice Cats for the championship.

This year only the MN Starzz made the playoffs in U19 and the Ice Cats made the playoffs in U16. The Ice Cats lost in the semifinals to Assabet and the Starzz lost in the quarterfinals to NAHA.

The Ice Cats took 3rd place in U16. In U19, the Starzz was the best Minnesota team. They lost their consolation game so they tied for 7th place (out of 25 teams) since there was not a third game on the losers side of the 8-team championship bracket.

All in all I think it is a little disappointing for Minnesota compared to the previous 2 years when Minnesota either won or took 2nd place at the U19 and U16 levels but I'm sure the girls had fun competing and got some good looks from college scouts.
Last edited by OntheEdge on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Has the white caps always taken two teams? How many teams from michigan are in the tournament?

I am more impressed that there was 4 teams in the U19 division from Minnesota and all were competitive.

I also heard a lot of the studs on the roster for the white caps were not actually there. Anyone know who for sure that is?
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

OntheEdge wrote:The U19 Championship game is between NAHA and Little Ceasars. I believe that's 3 years in a row that the Michigan team Little Ceasars is in the U19 Championship game. Last year the Ice Cats beat Little Ceasars and the year before that Little Ceasars beat the Ice Cats for the championship.

This year only the MN Starzz made the playoffs in U19 and the Ice Cats made the playoffs in U16. The Ice Cats lost in the semifinals to Assabet and the Starzz lost in the quarterfinals to NAHA.

The Ice Cats took 3rd place in U16. In U19, the Starzz was the best Minnesota team. They lost their consolation game so they tied for 7th place (out of 25 teams) since there was not a third game on the losers side of the 8-team championship bracket.

All in all I think it is a little disappointing for Minnesota compared to the previous 2 years when Minnesota either won or took 2nd place at the U19 and U16 levels but I'm sure the girls had fun competing and got some good looks from college scouts.
Ice Cats only lost 1 game between the U19 and U16 teams. The U19s had a few to many ties to advance but nearly beat Ottawa and NAHA White. The U16s scored 13 and gave up 2 (plus an EN) and they only have 2 players who have to move up. There is no disapointment there.

NAHA is a pretty great experience for the kids, Burlington is a great host city. Good venues, great food, fun downtown, the lake is awesome, and they have Vermont nice going on. Definatly worth the trip.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Congratulations glad to see tradition continue and so many MN girls getting this experience and exposure. Especially liked seeing the N Starz Team from the North make the trip.
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

royals dad wrote:
OntheEdge wrote:The U19 Championship game is between NAHA and Little Ceasars. I believe that's 3 years in a row that the Michigan team Little Ceasars is in the U19 Championship game. Last year the Ice Cats beat Little Ceasars and the year before that Little Ceasars beat the Ice Cats for the championship.

Ice Cats only lost 1 game between the U19 and U16 teams. The U19s had a few to many ties to advance but nearly beat Ottawa and NAHA White. The U16s scored 13 and gave up 2 (plus an EN) and they only have 2 players who have to move up. There is no disapointment there.

NAHA is a pretty great experience for the kids, Burlington is a great host city. Good venues, great food, fun downtown, the lake is awesome, and they have Vermont nice going on. Definatly worth the trip.
Agreed. The U16 and U19 Ice cat teams played great. The U19 Ice Cats had especially good team defense with outstanding goaltending. They didn't lose and they could have benefited from a few more timely goals to get into the playoffs. My comment about a "little" disappointing was regarding this year's results after having Minnesota teams playing in the championship games of U19 and U16 the past two years.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

Tigers33 wrote:I am more impressed that there was 4 teams in the U19 division from Minnesota and all were competitive.

I also heard a lot of the studs on the roster for the white caps were not actually there. Anyone know who for sure that is?
I think the White Whitecaps team was entirely eligible to play U16, but they opted into the U19 division so they could face tougher competition. They were 2-1-1 in pool play, squeaking out a tie against Assabet U19, and losing to Chicago Mission (but outshooting them 26-16, and dominating play for much of the game).

Not a bad showing.

Black Whitecaps is mostly seniors this year. I heard Cameranesi (a junior) didn't make the trip. Not sure who else. Web shows Hannah Brandt with 0 points for the tournament, so if I were a betting man I'd say she didn't make the trip either. http://www.winter-hawks.org/team_instan ... ason=53086
puckskillz

Post by puckskillz »

looks like Brandt, Carlson Steckleinn, Illikanien, and Hanson were missing. Five committed players so that had to have some impact. Still a strong squad with 11 Whitecaps players committed to D-1 schools so far.