Section 6AA final: Eden Prairie vs. Wayzata

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Eden Prairie
58%
Wayzata
42%

Total votes: 55

AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle »

AlterEagle wrote:
topcheese9 wrote:What a game!!!!!! I felt after that classic I had to come on here and post. It was my first time seeing both teams and I was very impressed. I realized as the game wore on that EP had the depth but Wayzata's top line was VERY dominant. I found myself pulling for Wayzata and was disappointed with the outcome. I know there can be biased opinions on here but mine is only from an outsiders perspective. I was excited to see Rau as I've heard so much about him. He did impress me but CAMERANESI to me is the superior player with a higher ceiling. I myself played at a high level so it sometimes takes a lot to impress me, well Cameranesi did just that. How does Lucia not land this kid and let him walk to UMD????? Great shot, vision, speed, first step, and is tougher than Rau in the corners and tight spaces. This is where my problem lies with Lucia, I would be suprised if Rau is a better D1 player than him. I have no idea which route these two are taking but my guess is UMD makes him play 1 year of juniors and Rau goes straight to college...I think we know what route will help a college teams success. I think it's for a change and tell the Don to walk....figure it out! Lastly, Mario Lucia is another fine talent and it will be interesting to see what happens with him....just my thoughts, and a great night of High School Hockey!
If you followed at all this year you'd know that Rau is the better player - no question. Cameranesi played well the first half of the season, then faded a bit. Rau played consistently at the top all year and has the stats to back it. Also, Lucia made Cameranesi a better player... Rau makes everyone else around him better. Don knows this quite well - he's watched Cameranesi closely all year long as he's been linemates with Mario. If you were to give the Don the option of the 2 players, the right decision would be to take Rau - which is already done.

Good job on this one for sure Don.
The real question is whether or not Mario will play for his Dad or not :) He's a heckuva player for sure.
topcheese9

Post by topcheese9 »

Like I said, I only saw both these teams one game. IMO, the Don made a mistake not landing him, but we will see. I also love when people talk about high school stats, really who cares! Points are an important yes, but are no real measuring stick on how they will produce at the next level. I sure think he helps Mario too, they are a great compliment of talent to one another, it's not just a one way street
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Great game tonight! Slow start for Wayzata ended up costing them.when the hame went to OT you just new Rau would be the guy to end it.Rau was not very noticeable all night but when the game is in doubt he steps up. That is what Rau has the "it" factor that you can not teach.
GOPHERFAN119

Post by GOPHERFAN119 »

topcheese9 wrote:What a game!!!!!! I felt after that classic I had to come on here and post. It was my first time seeing both teams and I was very impressed. I realized as the game wore on that EP had the depth but Wayzata's top line was VERY dominant. I found myself pulling for Wayzata and was disappointed with the outcome. I know there can be biased opinions on here but mine is only from an outsiders perspective. I was excited to see Rau as I've heard so much about him. He did impress me but CAMERANESI to me is the superior player with a higher ceiling. I myself played at a high level so it sometimes takes a lot to impress me, well Cameranesi did just that. How does Lucia not land this kid and let him walk to UMD????? Great shot, vision, speed, first step, and is tougher than Rau in the corners and tight spaces. This is where my problem lies with Lucia, I would be suprised if Rau is a better D1 player than him. I have no idea which route these two are taking but my guess is UMD makes him play 1 year of juniors and Rau goes straight to college...I think we know what route will help a college teams success. I think it's for a change and tell the Don to walk....figure it out! Lastly, Mario Lucia is another fine talent and it will be interesting to see what happens with him....just my thoughts, and a great night of High School Hockey!
I will second his thoughts and comments. What a great game to watch. EP had some lucky bounces with the puck - Goal #1 and #2. Either team could have one. Both Tony and Kyle are gifted players and we will have the opportunity to watch both of them at the next level. Time will tell over the next few years who is the better player. Best of luck to EP in the State tourney and Congrats to Wayzata for a fantastic season.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

GOPHERFAN119 wrote:
I will second his thoughts and comments. What a great game to watch. EP had some lucky bounces with the puck - Goal #1 and #2. Either team could have one. Both Tony and Kyle are gifted players and we will have the opportunity to watch both of them at the next level. Time will tell over the next few years who is the better player. Best of luck to EP in the State tourney and Congrats to Wayzata for a fantastic season.
Cameranesi didn't win a faceoff the entire night. That was the difference
mn man

Post by mn man »

GOPHERFAN119 wrote:
topcheese9 wrote: I was excited to see Rau as I've heard so much about him. He did impress me but CAMERANESI to me is the superior player with a higher ceiling. I myself played at a high level so it sometimes takes a lot to impress me, well Cameranesi did just that...
Lucky and good is a great combo and these EP boys seem to have both at the moment. Don't forget that EP had a good goal waved off also that would have put them up 3-1 on a Kyle wrap around.

The more you watch Kyle Rau the more you appreciate him. He did win almost every draw, and he is constantly scoring goals like the game winner he had last night. You cannot overlook the stats on this kid after the schedule EP played, night after night he was hounded and hacked and tackled by a top 20 opponent's best player and he still pulls away on points. He gets obliterated, slashed, crosschecked into the goal, bounces right up and immediately sets up a line mate or scores a goal. He could have had a couple of goals on wrap arounds, but Wayzata's defense was there to bail out their goalie.

It was an awesome game, a classic. I think Wayzata has more team speed than any team in the state. They were very impressive last night.
topcheese9

Post by topcheese9 »

Cameranesi didn't win a draw all night????????? talk about an exaggeration, wow! Rau won more head to head draws but Cameranesi did okay on draws throughout the night
mn man

Post by mn man »

topcheese9 wrote:Cameranesi didn't win a draw all night????????? talk about an exaggeration, wow! Rau won more head to head draws but Cameranesi did okay on draws throughout the night
Look closely, did I say Cameranesi did not win a draw all night????????? wow
mn man

Post by mn man »

Sorry, I should have been more precise, Kyle Rau is very good on draws which I think showed last night against a very talented player.
YouthHockeyDad

Post by YouthHockeyDad »

[quote=Cameranesi didn't win a faceoff the entire night. That was the difference[/quote]

I don't know about "all night", but if you watched the final 4 minutes of period 2 it was a tough stretch for the Wayzata center. Three to four times the Trojan second or third line got a freeze in their offensive zone. Every time that happened, Wayzata rolled out their first line, and EP answered with their first line. EVERY single time that happened 12 lost the face-off, EP broke out weak side, and EP established pressure on the other end of the ice.

Watching the game I, too, thought Camarenisi was the best player on the ice at times, but you can't overlook the impact of "the little things". I had not seen either team play all year (was there for the BV/Edina game, and stayed for two periods of this one), and was impressed with both.
wildthing

Post by wildthing »

And in the third period, plus overtimes, Kyle was constantly winning face offs in the O zone. Each time he won the face off with crisp passes back to his D who had many nice scoring opportunities. I almost forgot, the one exception....The face off which he won, put it between the other centers legs, and got a clean close range shot off that the goalie made a great save on.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Really? I wasn't impressed with Cameranisi at all last night but I thought Lucia was very good. Obvious Mr. Hockey favorite next year. Should good with Rau on the gophs in a couple.
Anyways, simply the best high school game of the season, bar none. First period was great, very physical, showed a lot of skill on both sides. Very sloppy mistakes put Wayzata in a hole early, really tough play for that kid who threw it in for Wayzata to give EP the early lead in the second. Honestly, the turning point of regulation was when EP got completely shafted by the refs on a quick whistle that should have been a goal. Just about as mad as I've ever seen Lee Smith get. After that Wayzata took the momentum with 2 quickies to tie it up, gotta hate that two goal lead. A very well played rest of regulation and first overtime kinda took the gas out of both teams. Wayzata played a very strong second overtime period and one kid had an absolutely wide open net and lifted it over the net. In the end, Eden Prairie has Kyle Rau and Wayzata does not. That was the difference and that's why he's Mr. Hockey. Andrew Ford and Nick Seeler also had very good games. EP absolutely deserves the number one seed at state. Both teams looked way better than Edina or Burnsville.

Here's some video of the game winner: http://www.splayback.com/watch/c3cueq4j ... ck-Special
EP two out of three.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Camranesi is the fastest kid in the state, but it's the missing of the open nets that I would question.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
Camranesi is the fastest kid in the state, but it's the missing of the open nets that I would question.
Yeah there's no doubt that he's quick but it seems like he gains the zone and is lost or doesn't finish. That's why he's not as good as Rau.
EP two out of three.
MNHockey1109

Post by MNHockey1109 »

I knew I shouldn't have left after the 2nd Period. :(
topcheese9

Post by topcheese9 »

Wasn't impressed at all with Cameranesi???? Come on man!!!! What game were you watching???? He created tons of chances for his team and was great much of the night, (ran out of gas a bit at the end.) I will concede that he may not be the greatest finisher but he's still a heck of a talent. My whole point here was, I came in very excited to see Rau play for the first time this year and Cameranesi IMO made more of an impact when you look at the entire game. Regardless, great game, two very good teams and an exciting night!
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

topcheese9 wrote:Wasn't impressed at all with Cameranesi???? Come on man!!!! What game were you watching???? He created tons of chances for his team and was great much of the night, (ran out of gas a bit at the end.) I will concede that he may not be the greatest finisher but he's still a heck of a talent. My whole point here was, I came in very excited to see Rau play for the first time this year and Cameranesi IMO made more of an impact when you look at the entire game. Regardless, great game, two very good teams and an exciting night!
I know he's fast but that only gets you so far. If he finished on even one of the chances he created Wayzata would have won. Lucia is the better player.
EP two out of three.