Warroad @ TRF Section 8A Championship

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rkhockey_7

Warroad @ TRF Section 8A Championship

Post by Rkhockey_7 »

Teams split during the season. Who heads to the X
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I'm sticking with my earlier prediction.

TRF - 2
Warroad - 3 (3OT)
2001 & 2006 State Participant
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I am going with TRF 4-2 or 5-3...

no reason, just because...
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

TRF 5-1
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Hoping for a TRF win. I'm tired of seeing Warroad in the Tourney almost every year
MNHockey_6

Post by MNHockey_6 »

I'm going to agree with elliot and say TRF 4-2 over Warroad.
Goal

Post by Goal »

I've seen both these teams play throughout the tournament and to me it looks like TRF has more depth up front and on d too. Warroad seemed like only their top line really generated many chances, while TRF had 3 lines who were all making things happen. Both teams goaltending looked average at best. A big thing for Warroad will be if Hayden Timm one of their top D-men can play as he was hit with a shot in the EGF game saturday and the rumor is he broke his jaw. I would guess Warroad will go to that type of game were they really try to limit the shots and back in around the goalie to only give TRF shots on the perimiter. It seems to be a one goal game a lot when these two meet so I'll say.
TRF 3
Warroad 2
low66

Re: Warroad @ TRF Section 8A Championship

Post by low66 »

Rkhockey_7 wrote:Teams split during the season. Who heads to the X
TRF wins this 5-3 with an empty net goal
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

low66 wrote:
Rkhockey_7 wrote:Teams split during the season. Who heads to the X
TRF wins this 5-3 with an empty net goal
Was Lyon in class today in Baudette or Cedar Rapids?
nungitchida

Post by nungitchida »

Have to go with Warroad on this one, they split on the season but Warroad handle them easily 5-2 in TRF and the second one was won in overtime by TRF, but looking at some other games got to give a slight edge to Warroad, but at state either team is one and done :) :lol:
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Goal wrote:I've seen both these teams play throughout the tournament and to me it looks like TRF has more depth up front and on d too. Warroad seemed like only their top line really generated many chances, while TRF had 3 lines who were all making things happen. Both teams goaltending looked average at best. A big thing for Warroad will be if Hayden Timm one of their top D-men can play as he was hit with a shot in the EGF game saturday and the rumor is he broke his jaw. I would guess Warroad will go to that type of game were they really try to limit the shots and back in around the goalie to only give TRF shots on the perimiter. It seems to be a one goal game a lot when these two meet so I'll say.
TRF 3
Warroad 2
Foster is a bit of an advantage in net for Warroad with his experience. Getting Audette back from injury was huge for TRF. TRF is certainly deeper up front without a doubt, but they don't necessarily have a knack to score goals. Warroad will have last change, which will be a small advantage. If Timm is a no-go then I like TRF, if he plays it's a coin-toss. I think it will go OT, possibly multiple OT's.

@nungitchida
As far as neither team having a chance in the first round at state...ahhh yes they do...

@ Totino 3, TRF 2
TRF 2, Hermantown 2, tie
TRF 5, Duluth Central 1
Warroad 9, Orono 2
@ Bemidji 3, Warroad 2, OT

There's a few scores that show these two teams can beat anyone in Class A. Especially if there are a few upsets (New Prague, Rogers, Orono).
Last edited by MNHockey75 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rkhockey_7

Post by Rkhockey_7 »

nungitchida wrote:Have to go with Warroad on this one, they split on the season but Warroad handle them easily 5-2 in TRF and the second one was won in overtime by TRF, but looking at some other games got to give a slight edge to Warroad, but at state either team is one and done :) :lol:
Trf was beating Totino 2-0 Hermantown 2-0 so I wouldnt rule them out
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

I am going to have to go with Warroad in this one. After a boost of confidence in the first round, and then some momentum to carry from the semis to the finals I think they will pull it off despite TRF's "home ice" advantage. Warroad has won 7 of the past 8 section titles and 4 in a row(3 over TRF), I don't think this team wants to be the one to stop that trend. Ill go:

Warroad 3

TRF 1

with an empty netter.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

Whos going to score for warroad? They have NO ONE that can score? TRF will fill the net
riverman

trf vs warroad

Post by riverman »

Should be a full house! Adult pre sale tickets were gone about noon today. Still have student tickets available and there should be tickets at the door. First come First serve! This should be a very good game
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

25 sheet power wrote:Whos going to score for warroad? They have NO ONE that can score? TRF will fill the net
The question is who will score for TRF?

Warroad's Top 3 Leading Scorers

N. Stoskopf 14 G, 16 A, 30 Pts
C. Gray 6 G, 23 A, 29 Pts
D. Nelson 18 G, 11 A, 29 Pts

so 38 goals for 88 pts out of their top 3 scorers....

TRF's Top 3 Leading Scorers

M. Ranum 20 G, 20 A, 40 Pts
R. Crosson 9 G, 25 A, 34 Pts
B. Meuinier 7 G, 14 A, 21 Pts

so 36 goals for 95 pts out of their top 3 scorers....

It looks pretty tight to me, but neither of these teams boast a big points guy, so it will come down to whatever team puts forward the best team effort, but it will start from the net out.
Topgun12

Post by Topgun12 »

Game Day. Prowlers rest easy tonight with another tally in the dub column. 3-1
dueling21

Post by dueling21 »

A great playoff history between these two teams..I believe this marks 10 years in a row that they've met in the 8A playoffs.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

dueling21 wrote:A great playoff history between these two teams..I believe this marks 10 years in a row that they've met in the 8A playoffs.
Correct. Including seven section finals.

Here are the scores:
'10 - 2-0 WAR: TRF couldn't get one by Foster and Nelson was dominant.
'09 - 3-2 WAR: Brock Nelson with the late tally.
'08 - 2-1 (2OT) WAR: Gothberg's inception. He was magnificant (he was 15).
'07 - 2-1 WAR: A late controversial penalty led to the GW PPG by Ravendalen.
'06 - 3-2 (4OT) TRF: An instant classic. Forney with the hair-raising GWG.
'05 - 4-1 WAR: Eventual state champs. Warroad was too much to handle.
'04 - 3-1 WAR: A down year for TRF, but it was 1-1 in the third. Warroad was later shocked at state by Orono.
'03 - 3-1 WAR: Eventual state champs. The best Warroad team I've ever seen. Tony Selvog and a young TJ Oshie. TRF was loaded that year.
'02 - 3-1 WAR: A rare Warroad upset. TRF should've been the #1 seed, but ended up getting matched-up with the Warriors in the Semis.

You can also go back to 1999 where Warroad was #1 in the state and lost in OT to #4 seeded TRF at the old Huck Olson. Dewey Worker buried a long, one-in-a-million shot.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

MNHockey75 wrote:
dueling21 wrote:A great playoff history between these two teams..I believe this marks 10 years in a row that they've met in the 8A playoffs.

Here are the scores:
'04 - 3-1 WAR: A down year for TRF, but it was 1-1 in the third. Warroad was later shocked at state by Orono.
'03 - 3-1 WAR: Eventual state champs. The best Warroad team I've ever seen. Tony Selvog and a young TJ Oshie. TRF was loaded that year.
'02 - 3-1 WAR: A rare Warroad upset. TRF should've been the #1 seed, but ended up getting matched-up with the Warriors in the Semis.

You can also go back to 1999 where Warroad was #1 in the state and lost in OT to #4 seeded TRF at the old Huck Olson. Dewey Worker buried a long, one-in-a-million shot.
WOW every game so close. you would think 03-05 warroad could have put up a big score or trf could have in 06.
low66

Post by low66 »

looks like TRF got the 4-1 win over warroad for the 8a title!
Flin Flon

Post by Flin Flon »

MNHockey75 wrote:

Here are the scores:

Not sure this is 100% accurate I believe that EGF was in the Finals in 2008?
Goal

Post by Goal »

Flin Flon wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:

Here are the scores:

Not sure this is 100% accurate I believe that EGF was in the Finals in 2008?
2008 was in the Semis at TRF, great game to watch.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Flin Flon wrote:Not sure this is 100% accurate I believe that EGF was in the Finals in 2008?
Those are just the last ten postseason meetings between the two clubs. If you look closely, I wrote that they played each other in 7 out of the last 10 years at the top.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Goal wrote:2008 was in the Semis at TRF, great game to watch.
Sure was. TRF was heavily over-matched and Gothberg stood tall. The eventual 2OT GW went off a skate and in. A heartbreaker for TRF. It was a great display of sportsmanship after the game when both teams huddled around a dead-tired Zane Gothberg.