fredrick61

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

royalhockey999

fredrick61

Post by royalhockey999 »

when is the new blog coming out??
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

It will be out Tuesday around noon. I held back this week to get the final district games in so that more district playoff draws would be known. Not all districts playoffs are out. Here is a quick summary of district champs:

D2-Roseville has it locked up. Stillwater and White Bear Lake are running first and second.

D3-Wayzata. OMG is in a battle for second place. A number of D3 teams have shown improvement. The Trojans are not a lock this year.

D4-Only three peewee A teams, no D4 peewee A league, but will have a district playoff. Luverne, a 9-player team with a lot of heart, should be seeded #1 for the playoffs.

D5-St. Cloud and STMA play tonight in a game that STMA needs to win to tie St. Cloud for the title. The Huskies lost an "unfairplay" point this past week and with that their edge over STMA.

D6-Burnsville, Edina, and Eden Prairie are locked in a battle for first and second place. The teams finishing one and two have an important edge in the D6 playoffs. Burnsville/Edina game tonight at Burnsville is going to be a great game. The Edina/Eden Prairie game on Sunday will be another great game in determining 1 and 2.

D8-Woodbury beat Rosemount to hand the Irish their first defeat. The Harding arena must be a good luck charm for the Predators. Woodbury still can't take second or first. The big D8 game all year is Saturday when Rosemount and Farmington play. The Tigers remain unbeaten and because of "unfairplay" points can afford to lose and still take #1. But if the Tigers lose, they will have to beat Woodbury on Sunday to win the title.

D9-West Division Champ-Mankato; East Division Champ-Northfield

D10-Elk River and Centennial are neck and neck. The Elks have lost "unfairplay" points.

D11-Hermantown beat Cloquet last week and should have the title.

D12-Grand Rapids in a runaway.

D15-Moorhead Black edges out Alexandria for the automatic seed to the regional. Three game forfeitures and a 13 game D15 schedule almost cost the Black the title.

D16-Bemidji. The Bemidji program has improved over that past three years to a point where the Lumberjacks can play with any team in the state.
royalhockey999

Post by royalhockey999 »

Awesome can't wait!
bleedpurple

Post by bleedpurple »

frederick61 wrote:

D5-St. Cloud and STMA play tonight in a game that STMA needs to win to tie St. Cloud for the title. The Huskies lost an "unfairplay" point this past week and with that their edge over STMA.
STMA lost to River Lakes last week. Looks like St. Cloud will win it unless they lose their last two games.
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

Thank you for the correction. The River Lakes team had a series of close loses in D5 so the 2-1 win over STMA is timely one for the Stars. I thought River Lakes might be down after a number of close loses and having played two tough tourneys in January (Fergus Falls and the Governor's Cup). They lost to STMA 11-1 the second week in November
bigpuckguy21

Post by bigpuckguy21 »

Anyone hear how the Burnsville/Edina game was tonight?
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

The final score of the Burnsville game:

Burnsville-5
Edina-4

Both teams saved their "unfairplay" points. That puts Burnsville at 45 points with one game left with Prior Lake. Edina has 42 points with one game left with Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie has 42 points also. All Burnsville needs to do is to save the "unfairplay" point against Prior Lake (gives the Blaze 46 points and the D6 title). The winner of the Eden Prairie/Edina game on Sunday takes the #2 seed.

The winning Blaze goal came tonight when late in the third period, the Blaze caught the Hornets on a line mismatch, took the puck the length of the ice and scored. It was quite a game.
SoftMitts

Post by SoftMitts »

Did # 23 play for the hornets?
frederick61

Post by frederick61 »

Yes, #23 played. But I never talk about individual players until the end of the season. Then I will post the outstanding players by team and their number on the blog after the regionals and will post a state tourney team after the tourney is over.
peterpuckjr

Post by peterpuckjr »

frederick61 wrote:The final score of the Burnsville game:

Burnsville-5
Edina-4

Both teams saved their "unfairplay" points. That puts Burnsville at 45 points with one game left with Prior Lake. Edina has 42 points with one game left with Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie has 42 points also. All Burnsville needs to do is to save the "unfairplay" point against Prior Lake (gives the Blaze 46 points and the D6 title). The winner of the Eden Prairie/Edina game on Sunday takes the #2 seed.

The winning Blaze goal came tonight when late in the third period, the Blaze caught the Hornets on a line mismatch, took the puck the length of the ice and scored. It was quite a game.
Line mismatch neither top line was on the ice when the game winner was scored.... I think Edina had at least two power play and one short handed goal from their top line. I do know that their top line scored all 4 for the green. It was a fast paced well played game. These teams will meet again.
royalhockey999

Post by royalhockey999 »

Fred, blog coming out today??????????
SoftMitts

Post by SoftMitts »

Hi Fred--

Sounds like you have seen the most pwa games this year. Would you be willing to give your top 10 or 20 teams? It would be interesting to see how yours line up with the other rankings.
Concerned Hockey Coach

Post by Concerned Hockey Coach »

Frederick61,

As usual, your blog was very informative and I tremendously enjoyed reading it. We are all very thankful for the time and energy you put into it.

Which is why it was disappointing to see that in your recent blog, you wrote:

"Last Wednesday, the D9 playoff seeding were announced. Unlike other districts, D9 chose to seed teams based on strength, not on where they finished in regular season. This change was caused by the last minute inclusion of the Rochester Red team, a team that played an independent schedule and played no D9 teams."

You have been informed that the matter had been discussed prior to the start of the season and that it was known that Rochester Red was going to be allowed to participate in the district playoff. In fact, the President of D9 came to the forum, identified himself by name, and posted the following:

"I am the president of D9 and serve with many volunteers who have done an outstanding job in it's first year of existence. Rochester has one vote on our board, out of 14 votes. The board voted early on to allow this year's Rochester Red PeeWee A and Bantam A teams to not play in the league while they pursue an independent game schedule. While many would prefer they play in the league, I think many felt the district needed to see how this worked out for this year. Will things be discussed this spring and summer? I would think so. . . .
From the very beginning of the formation of District 9, the District 9 board, made up of reps from every association, Minnesota Hockey and Rochester discussed this issue extensively. The result was the Red teams would be able to play an independant schedule and be seeded into the district tournament. Nothing was changed in the last minute.

The tournament was never just an eight team tournament. The bracket for the district tournament location would be eight teams but the district wanted and always planned on some play-in games to get it down to eight at the district tournament location."

Despite this information from the President of D9, who is not a Rochester person, you misrepresented the truth in your blog.

Your readers deserve better, and they deserve to know the facts surrounding what you alleged.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

CHC... The D9 subject has been put to bed.. Locked..... Give it a break!!!
DUCKS

Post by DUCKS »

I don't think he did CHC I am from Rochester and have a son on the Bantam A black team. Who told us this was going to happen?????????????? NO ONE AND IT IS BS Number 1 SEED!!!!!! Wow are you kindinng me

Fred keep up the Great posts
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

CHC, you will never give that issue a rest, will you? You did not win ... those of us did not agree with you and hockey mom, we still do not.

Please don't humiliate Fred on this post. If you do not like his writings, just do not read them.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

DUCKS wrote:I don't think he did CHC I am from Rochester and have a son on the Bantam A black team. Who told us this was going to happen?????????????? NO ONE AND IT IS BS Number 1 SEED!!!!!! Wow are you kindinng me

Fred keep up the Great posts
Good bye to CHC....Fred does a great job.