Roseau Bantam A tournament this weekend: Jan 7 - 9

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

It's really too bad that alot of attention will be focused on the Edina forfeit actions.........Cause it really takes away from the other teams that stayed in until the end and battled it out. Congrats again to EP being tourney Champs!

AND ER, Blaine, Tonka, Woodbury, Warroad, EGF, GR, Fargo Flyers, Stillwater, Duluth East, Brainerd, White Bear, Cloquet and last but certainly not least, Roseau, for not only battling but for putting on such a great tourney year after year.. We had a incredible time and the hockey was outstanding! Thank you!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Good point....,.
clutchngrab

Post by clutchngrab »

Pinky wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:
Actually Edina's board members had gatorade, pizza etc all waiting for our Roseau Bantam A players so that they wouldn't have to stop on their way home after that 3rd place game...so in all honest thats pretty respectful if you ask me.
As long as you are sending out recognition to the Edina Assoc. send some my way as well. Let's see....$125 in gate fees for my family to attend the Edina tournament should have funded a few pizza's.
centennialhockey

Forfeit Are you kidding me

Post by centennialhockey »

Did this really happen at an elite Bantam A tournament? If true, WOW!!!! the Edina coaches should be ashamed of themselves and the black eye they put on their association. Actions like this supports the reason why everyone continues to dislike Edina and everything they stand for.
"Every Day I need Attention" Who is the head coach, is it the former NHL nutjobber? I hear he and his better half are a real piece of work.
Go Big Red!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

clutchngrab wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Actually Edina's board members had gatorade, pizza etc all waiting for our Roseau Bantam A players so that they wouldn't have to stop on their way home after that 3rd place game...so in all honest thats pretty respectful if you ask me.
As long as you are sending out recognition to the Edina Assoc. send some my way as well. Let's see....$125 in gate fees for my family to attend the Edina tournament should have funded a few pizza's.
Shouldn't have brought so many family members with .....you act all surprised yet mangers should have informed you before you left what the cost was.
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Come-on towle this a youth sport. no-matter what the gate were going to go. Some have others skating so they are in the car already. Still no need to stick it too every one.
DMom

Post by DMom »

old goalie85 wrote:Come-on towle this a youth sport. no-matter what the gate were going to go. Some have others skating so they are in the car already. Still no need to stick it too every one.
13 and under were free. Not sure about senior citizens.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

D-mom---At that price grandpa would have had to sit in the car!!!
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

clutchngrab wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Great Post! :lol:
IMHO

Post by IMHO »

Towelie wrote:
Shouldn't have brought so many family members with .....you act all surprised yet mangers should have informed you before you left what the cost was.
You ARE kidding me right??? These events are FOR family, especially during the holidays. What they charged at the gate was out of control, even if disclosed ahead of time.

As for walking off, PLEASE. We've played Blaine twice this year and while they play tough, I can't imagine them getting physical to the point of having to walk off for safety reasons. Sounds to me like a number of parents saying, whay are we starting the long drive back later for a 3rd place game. And AWESOME point about Roseau sticking around until dinner time to even start their medal game in Edina. WOW !

Those Blaine kids, who at the time were down 4-3, deserved to play a game. They'd driven a long way, wanted to play the legendary Edina, and earn their hardware. Those kids are the ones that desire the apology.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

im sure being im from roseau this will be taken as favoritism or whatever but i have never been more impressed with reffing in my entire life of hockey first class all the way! i thought watching this weekend that no one could possibly complain about the refs. than edina leaves over nothing. anyway my hats off to the edina players they played very well i was very impressed with the team. they fought hard on the ice and they were decent young men off the ice i know that some of the roseau and edina kids sat together at the roseau varsity game and got along just fine. its pathetic what the coaches did and i really hope the association does something about it.
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

Being that Roseau is hosting the Peewee 'A' tournament next week (Edina included) are they in contact with Edina? IE-have they received assurances that Edina will play in all games? Any assurances that they won't bail early if they are unhappy? Perhaps all tournaments should require some sort of deposit from Edina in the future? So far this season Edina has no showed (EP peewee 'B' tourny) and bailed (Roseau tourny).
Little King

Post by Little King »

Snowmass wrote:Being that Roseau is hosting the Peewee 'A' tournament next week (Edina included) are they in contact with Edina? IE-have they received assurances that Edina will play in all games? Any assurances that they won't bail early if they are unhappy? Perhaps all tournaments should require some sort of deposit from Edina in the future? So far this season Edina has no showed (EP peewee 'B' tourny) and bailed (Roseau tourny).
This is actually a great idea. make it like the forfeit fee we have to pay for mens league. make every team send an extra check in the amount of the forfeit fee. if they play all games, the check gets shredded.
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

Little King wrote:
Snowmass wrote:Being that Roseau is hosting the Peewee 'A' tournament next week (Edina included) are they in contact with Edina? IE-have they received assurances that Edina will play in all games? Any assurances that they won't bail early if they are unhappy? Perhaps all tournaments should require some sort of deposit from Edina in the future? So far this season Edina has no showed (EP peewee 'B' tourny) and bailed (Roseau tourny).
This is actually a great idea. make it like the forfeit fee we have to pay for mens league. make every team send an extra check in the amount of the forfeit fee. if they play all games, the check gets shredded.
Seriously- what if Edina loses a game/ends up in 3rd place or consolation game? Chances are they will bail town.
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

At this point they have earned the right to be uninvited. After all the teams probably wouldn't get to play them any way if things don't go their way.

Unfortunate the entire assoc pays a price, but in this case they have earned it.
buttend

Post by buttend »

Snowmass wrote:
Little King wrote:
Seriously- what if Edina loses a game/ends up in 3rd place or consolation game? Chances are they will bail town.

If all teams forfiet their pool games against Edina, Edina is assured their rightful spot in the Championship game. They will play that game. Edina is built for Championship games.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

what is sad about this is that if the edina team would just stop all the xtra stuff and use their speed and skill they would win 99% of the games anyway...

they started all the xtra stuff after every whistle right away thurs night, continued like that fri & sat...then it ended ugly for them sun. truly just sad
D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks »

I wish someone from the edina bantam a team would give their side of the story.
Or someone from Blaine.
areaman

Post by areaman »

Can we stop with the blanket Edina bashing?
I have no idea what happened or why the coaches pulled their team. Clearly, nobody else on this board knows either.
Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't.
In the meantime, there are hundreds of Edina parents who drive their kids to practice every night, go to their games, freeze in warming houses and never miss a tournament.
Ever. (Even in a driving snowstorm, when other teams have pulled out, when the team isn't close to being an A team and has no shot of making it to even the consolation round).

So please, take a deep breath and believe that most of us are just trying to drop our kid off at the rink on time and remember which rink the other one needs to get picked up from.
Probably just like the rest of you.
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

D6Rocks wrote:I wish someone from the edina bantam a team would give their side of the story.
Or someone from Blaine.
Great point. We're all here bit*&ing about it and we (atleast me) weren't there. Edina/Blaine people- fire away please. What exactly went down?
Survey

Post by Survey »

During the intermission the ref's entered both teams locker rooms and spoke to both team's coaches that the game was getting out of hand. Ref's stated that it needed to calm down. Play continued and neither coach was able to control their teams. Edina coach decided that it was not worth someone from either team getting hurt and just forfeited.

Was that the right call...maybe not but who knows.

Basically what is done is done.

Now go back to work if you do indeed work.
HOCKEYDRIVER

Post by HOCKEYDRIVER »

I heard that it wasn't the tuff play that made them leave. It was that BUBBLE Gum on the fur coat. That was the nail in the coffin. Had to get it cleaned. Or replaced,NOW
HOCKEYDRIVER

Post by HOCKEYDRIVER »

LEAVE EDINA ALONE :( JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE :lol: :lol:
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

areaman wrote:Can we stop with the blanket Edina bashing?
I have no idea what happened or why the coaches pulled their team. Clearly, nobody else on this board knows either.
Maybe we'll find out, maybe we won't.
In the meantime, there are hundreds of Edina parents who drive their kids to practice every night, go to their games, freeze in warming houses and never miss a tournament.
Ever. (Even in a driving snowstorm, when other teams have pulled out, when the team isn't close to being an A team and has no shot of making it to even the consolation round).

So please, take a deep breath and believe that most of us are just trying to drop our kid off at the rink on time and remember which rink the other one needs to get picked up from.
Probably just like the rest of you.
I agree... Once somebody tried to convince me that people from Edina didn't have to go to the bathroom. I mean really can you believe that, I mean come on, I mean uh... uh... I mean uhhh, it's not true, right ??? :?
areaman

Post by areaman »

I agree... Once somebody tried to convince me that people from Edina didn't have to go to the bathroom. I mean really can you believe that, I mean come on, I mean uh... uh... I mean uhhh, it's not true, right ??? Confused
This is actually true. And each child born in Edina is the product of Immaculate Conception. Little known facts.