Edina Invitational Tournament- Peewee A scores/etc...

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyover40

Post by hockeyover40 »

seek & destroy wrote:
buttend wrote:
seek & destroy wrote: Also, for a holiday weekend tournament you quite often have a lot of friends and family that are around and would like to come watch the games so I agree that the $850 estimate is very low. They are making a killing on this tourney! And to the original question...why would they update the site with current scores? This way people have to come pay the gate to find out what is going on.
This tourney has 5 levels, 58 teams and 110 games scheduled. I estimate that each game will cost about $400. 1.33 hr ice at $187 per hour. $78 for 2 refs. ( 3 refs and 1.5 hours of ice at the BTM level) 1 EMT. 110 x $400 = is roughly $44K. 58 teams x $725 entry fee is $42K. At best this tourney is even without the gate fee. BTW the Bloomington tourney charged a $20 per person fee.

Tournaments are fundraisers for Associations. If you feel a specific tournament/Association is "taking advantage of parents and the situation" the best thing to do is not sign up for their events.
With 58 teams and a likely average gate of $850 per team (2 people per player @ $25 ea X 17 players - not including grandma and grandpa) you have revenue of around $50,000. That's a lot for a youth hockey tournament. Also, you are right about not signing up for the events but a lot of times the parents, grandparents and players have no say in the tournaments scheduled - it is determined by the coach or the association board prior to the season starting.
That's not even counting the proceeds from concessions
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

Wait until the story of the Edina coach calling a roster issue that changed the Edina/ER game gets told..........makes the Bloonington ref's parent penalty seem pretty minor from the word going around the rink after the game :oops:
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

puckfan wrote:Wait until the story of the Edina coach calling a roster issue that changed the Edina/ER game gets told..........makes the Bloonington ref's parent penalty seem pretty minor from the word going around the rink after the game :oops:
Last edited by Snowmass on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow

Post by InTheKnow »

Puckfan, the Edina coaches had nothing to do with it.
MN_Hcky_Coach

Post by MN_Hcky_Coach »

I was there and was confused when they called the penalty, after asking around here's what I found out...

Before the start of the second period the refs skated over to the ER bench and gave them a bench minor for illegal substitution. It was brought to their attention from apparently an Edina parent that #2 for ER was not on the roster.

The roster that was referenced was the tournament program, in which, #2 for ER was not listed, it was not an official roster. So based on a tournament program that was not proofed, ER was assessed a penalty where Edina scored less than 30 seconds in. Unfortunately it shifted the momentum in the game and it turns out Edina won by a goal.

The period should not have started and the penalty should not have been assessed until the original roster was located to confirm the illegal player. Furthermore, if the player was illegal he should not have been allowed to participate in the game, although he played the rest of the game.

It was a good peewee game to watch, too bad this type of thing had to happen. Both teams advanced, great hockey to watch tomorrow I'm sure.
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

ITK, sorry, I was told that and I didn't elaborate anymore because I knew that somebody with more info could give the details.

My apology for saying the coach called a roster issue. Not sure if it's better that a parent brought it up to the officials...............but then D6 refs can use all the help they can get from what I've seen from them.

I wonder how the ref's would think that the tournamet book(which cost another $ :lol: ) is where they would find the official roster?

If they were going to call this, don't you think they would have been smart enough to get the tournament director and the ER team book with the offical MN Hockey roster and checked that.........................?
IcePick

Post by IcePick »

MN_Hcky_Coach wrote:I was there and was confused when they called the penalty, after asking around here's what I found out...

Before the start of the second period the refs skated over to the ER bench and gave them a bench minor for illegal substitution. It was brought to their attention from apparently an Edina parent that #2 for ER was not on the roster.

The roster that was referenced was the tournament program, in which, #2 for ER was not listed, it was not an official roster. So based on a tournament program that was not proofed, ER was assessed a penalty where Edina scored less than 30 seconds in. Unfortunately it shifted the momentum in the game and it turns out Edina won by a goal.

The period should not have started and the penalty should not have been assessed until the original roster was located to confirm the illegal player. Furthermore, if the player was illegal he should not have been allowed to participate in the game, although he played the rest of the game.

It was a good peewee game to watch, too bad this type of thing had to happen. Both teams advanced, great hockey to watch tomorrow I'm sure.
It is my understanding that the unrostered status of the player came to the attention of the refs because he scored a goal and when the scorekeeper tried to record it, he could not find the skater on the official tournament roster/stat sheet. The game officials and refs were not using a tournament program and Edina coaches and parents did not bring it to the refs attention.

In the end, both teams advance to the semi-finals on Sunday - with a little luck they will meet up again.
mnhockeyperson

Post by mnhockeyperson »

Standings after Pool Play

1. Wayzata 6pts - suprisingly rolled over EP 8-1
2. Farmiington 6pts - closest game was 3-0 vs. OMG. Never scored on in Pool Play.
3. Edina 6pts - close game vs. ER with controversial penalty call
4. Elk River 4pts - Wild Card with +8 Goal Differential

5. Eden Prairie 4 pts - a puker against Wayzata and bounced out of tourney.
6. Osseo/Maple Grove 3pts
7. Chaska 2pts
8. Mpls 2pts
9. Lakeville Sth 2pts same goal diff as Mpls but more goals allowed
10. STMA 1pt - tough tourney. played in most competitive and balanced Pool
11. Centennial 0pt - going backwards
12. Roseau 0pt - close game against Lakeville Sth.

Pool A: weakest - WildCard Pool
Pool B: competitive
Pool C: most competitive

Prediction: Farmington wins over Wayzata in Final 3-1.
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

mnhockeyperson wrote:Standings after Pool Play

2. Farmiington 6pts - closest game was 3-0 vs. OMG. Never scored on in Pool Play.

7. Chaska 2pts
8. Mpls 2pts

Do you have a crystal ball? Farm-4 (with an open netter) Wayz-1
Fantastic game. Farm just pulled it out.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

I thought Edina did a nice job with the tourney. Some nice looking teams to. I thought it could be a toss up with wayzata, Farmington, and Edina. Eden prairie had a nice team as did ER. I don't know what happened to EP in that last game. Wayzata took it to them but the final was not exactly a reflection of EP even though I think wayzata is stronger. Some surprises? I was surprised by centennial and there play. Same with st. Michael--getting beat by chaska? What has happened to Roseau? Top teams were wayzata, Farmington, elk river, and Edina in no particular order and the bottom teams were Roseau, chaska, lakeville, and centennial. I am not surprised by roseau and chaska this year, but how about lakeville and centennial? Are they just struggling a little this year?
buttend

Post by buttend »

hockeygirl2 wrote: but how about lakeville and centennial? Are they just struggling a little this year?
Lakeville South and North PWA and BTM A teams are struggling. Is it depth? or the fact that Lakeville hockey started 4-5 weeks later than everyone else?
mnhockeyperson

Post by mnhockeyperson »

Snowmass wrote:

7. Chaska 2pts
8. Mpls 2pts

No Crystal Ball but I watch a lot of peewee hockey. Kind of the JV version of Frederick61 I guess. Like the passion the kids play with and find it as entertaining of hockey as I see on TV or at older ages. Just my opinion.

I have always kept my opinions to myself regarding teams but it becomes pretty easy to figure out which teams have the talent and overall roster ability to have the highest chances of winning state. Others, you can see their teams success rests on the abilities of just one or two players and it is those teams may find themselves highly ranked but not able to win when the games matter the most.

Note on the comment about Chaska. I have seen them play three separate times and they play in a very difficult district and they have size and speed so I would not take them too lightly. Again, my humble opinion.

Let me know if you want any other predictions and i will be happy to let you know the future scores. PS: sorry about the empty netter - I usually don't count those goals.
Snowmass

Post by Snowmass »

mnhockeyperson wrote:
Snowmass wrote:

7. Chaska 2pts
8. Mpls 2pts

No Crystal Ball but I watch a lot of peewee hockey. Kind of the JV version of Frederick61 I guess. Like the passion the kids play with and find it as entertaining of hockey as I see on TV or at older ages. Just my opinion.

I have always kept my opinions to myself regarding teams but it becomes pretty easy to figure out which teams have the talent and overall roster ability to have the highest chances of winning state. Others, you can see their teams success rests on the abilities of just one or two players and it is those teams may find themselves highly ranked but not able to win when the games matter the most.

Note on the comment about Chaska. I have seen them play three separate times and they play in a very difficult district and they have size and speed so I would not take them too lightly. Again, my humble opinion.

Let me know if you want any other predictions and i will be happy to let you know the future scores. PS: sorry about the empty netter - I usually don't count those goals.
No...I was impressed. It was a great breakdown and equally great prediction. Love the "JV version of Frederick61".
hockeylooker

Chaska

Post by hockeylooker »

Agree on your assessment of Edina Tourney. Farmington looked great in round robin and team to beat. Also agree on Chaska. I watched them at both EP and Edina tourney. Beat STMA at both tourneys, won consolation at EP and played Farmington and OMG tough at Edina. Was a 2 goal game against Farmington until late int he 3rd. Farmington was clearly better, but Chaska hung for awhile. The OMG game was back and forth until OMG put away with a late empty net goal.

Chaska is 11-17-3 with 11 losses to teams ranked in the top 10.
THEGoalieMom

Post by THEGoalieMom »

hockeyover40 wrote:
seek & destroy wrote:
buttend wrote: This tourney has 5 levels, 58 teams and 110 games scheduled. I estimate that each game will cost about $400. 1.33 hr ice at $187 per hour. $78 for 2 refs. ( 3 refs and 1.5 hours of ice at the BTM level) 1 EMT. 110 x $400 = is roughly $44K. 58 teams x $725 entry fee is $42K. At best this tourney is even without the gate fee. BTW the Bloomington tourney charged a $20 per person fee.

Tournaments are fundraisers for Associations. If you feel a specific tournament/Association is "taking advantage of parents and the situation" the best thing to do is not sign up for their events.
With 58 teams and a likely average gate of $850 per team (2 people per player @ $25 ea X 17 players - not including grandma and grandpa) you have revenue of around $50,000. That's a lot for a youth hockey tournament. Also, you are right about not signing up for the events but a lot of times the parents, grandparents and players have no say in the tournaments scheduled - it is determined by the coach or the association board prior to the season starting.
That's not even counting the proceeds from concessions
I love that this blog digressed to this.. :D Maybe it's because the Championship Trophy is so sweet and each player got a mini version of it...