White Bear Lake/ HILL Thursday GET THERE EARLY

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WBL vs Hill

Poll ended at Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:20 am

WBL
51%
HILL
49%

Total votes: 43

stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul »

14*
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Real nice win by the Pioneers tonight. Beating the Bears never gets old. It's nice to see the progress from the beginning of the year. I certainly wasn't expecting HM to dominate as much as they did. In fact, I thought they could have been called for "Unsportsman like Penalites" a few times because they just wouldn't allow the Bears to touch the puck. :wink: Hill won almost every little battle tonight and they worked together real well. To limit the vaunted Bear offense to 11 shots was impressive. Both teams will get better and likely will face each other when it matters most.

I had to smile when I saw a handful of Stillwater players leaving with under a minute left and one of them turns and says, "Wow". A couple of them just shook their heads. Precious.

Good luck next week boys and thanks for making the alum proud one more time!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I gotta admire those White Bear students. None of them have seen their squad beat Hill while they've been in high school, yet they turn out in their blaze orange every time. A wonderful bunch of eternal optimists.

I was waiting for the Hill side to start a "Don't fire Sagar" chant.

It was hard to see from my angle, but was there an orange and black 1982 Runner-up banner? I don't recall an orange and black team finishing second that year. Blue and yellow maybe, but not orange and black.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

you gotta make it out of the first round to do that
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul »

White Bear Mariner was the State runnerup in 1982. They beat Cloquet and Hibbing before losing the State title game to Edina 6-0.
sachishi4

Re: HM - WBL

Post by sachishi4 »

stpaul wrote:White Bear Mariner was the State runnerup in 1982. They beat Cloquet and Hibbing before losing the State title game to Edina 6-0.
Not the orange and black though :wink:
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
HockeyLogic

Post by HockeyLogic »

Pioneerprideguy wrote: I had to smile when I saw a handful of Stillwater players leaving with under a minute left and one of them turns and says, "Wow". A couple of them just shook their heads. Precious.
The Pioneers have taken so much talent from Stillwater you should have thanked them for your "Precious" moment.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

HockeyLogic wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote: I had to smile when I saw a handful of Stillwater players leaving with under a minute left and one of them turns and says, "Wow". A couple of them just shook their heads. Precious.
The Pioneers have taken so much talent from Stillwater you should have thanked them for your "Precious" moment.
A big victory is the best recruiting pitch we have :wink:
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Where to begin... I've been to every WBL, HM game since 2000 and this was one of the worst performances I've seen from the Bears. The section championship last year wasn't pretty, but that team at least battled until the end. This WBL team couldn't even enter the zone onsides the entire 3rd period!I honestly don't know if WBL has any answer for Hill anymore... It's tough to say it's mental because it's different teams every year, but these kids know the giant gorilla on their backs. So much pressure on these guys to end that streak, and you can clearly see that they're trying to do too much out there once they get down a goal or two. I do have to give credit to Jared though, he played a heck of a game in net tonight. This game honestly should have been 8-0, but he kept them in it as long as he could. WBL has one solid line, but Hill has much more depth and that was factoring in throughout the 2nd period on. I know theres 3 months to go, and WBL is usually playing there best hockey come March. But it's tough to be optimistic when you've lost 15 in a row, and there's question marks everywhere. One thing I do know though, is I'll still be there on Section Final Friday come March to root on the Bears.
mnpuckster

Lex

Post by mnpuckster »

Yet another uninspiring game from the Bears. Jared Schletty was great in goal, keeping this one semi close. The shot and advantage and overall play advantage for Hill was very impressive...and that points to why Lechner is one of the best, if not the best coach in the state. HM is NEVER out of position, and they play so well in their own end into the neutral zone. Wahlin wasnt near the playmaker as he usually is. With his size, and Hill's style of playing phyisical and wearing teams down, it limited his success. Birkinbine has some size, and should be able to stick in there with the physicality, but that just didnt happen either. One of the few bright spots for Da Bears was Lance Carney..He is a VERY talented and the kid can SKATE.
As another poster already stated, the Bears tend to play their best puck near early March, and I hope it repeats. This "was" the last year for WBL in the foreseeable future to beat HM, as the youth system is average at best nowadays....The glory days of consistently losing in the first round at the civic center/Xcel may be over........

Side note, That arena is AWFUL.....just brutal sight lines...BRUTAL

Anyway, GO BEARS
Jack Sparrow

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Lechner is an average coach that gets delt a loaded hand every year.
If the High Scholl coaches in his region want to beat him they need to start spending a little more time in their community based youth programs.
This is where they will have their best opportunity to build the brand and prevent kids from defecting.
I think Housley is doing some of this at Stillwater.
(although they are currently one of Hills biggest feeders)
If a kid is willing to leave his friends and the program that raised him, then the values of loyalty, pride, ad tradition were not properly instilled-

This game was all about depth - Hill has it - by the way - if Lech is so smart why would he start the pipsqueek 10th grade line over a couple of studs like #14 & #15 (from WBLK) any coincidence?
WBLK lost it's entire first line from their A Bantam team 2 years ago to Hill. They sure could have used them last night.
Kevin Schulze (WBLK) played well for hill as well - great kid!
sllek

Post by sllek »

I was surprised, having not seen Hill play thie year and reading the comments on this forum, how strong Hill was defensively against teh skilled forwards of WBL. If Hill plays that well defensively, they will be very tough to beat. It will be interesting how they do in teh Schwan's Cup against Breck followed by either Edina or Duluth East

Also in response to Jack Sparrow's question about why Lechner did not start a "couple of studs" like #14 and 15 (Charlie and Conrad Sampair), from what I have been told, they have been skating fourth line for the entire year. I guess that says something about Hill's depth.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

I thought Charlie Sampair was from Mahtomedi?
If he is infact from WBL, Just another kid jumping ship to play for HM.........NO LOYALTY at all..I know he played A bantams for WBL...Stop taking these kids if they dont wanna stay....How do they even feel good about winning at HM after playing at WBL their entire lives? Make them go play in HM's youth association.....oh wait..
Last edited by mnpuckster on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Lechner gets a lot of credit from around the state, and rightfully so. However, Pat Schafhauser, Lex's assistant & Defensive Coach, doesn't get enough credit for his contributions to the program. Year in & year out, HM is a sound defensive team. Schaf does a great job in developing his players and the kids enjoy working with him. Lex places a major importance on the forwards in the defensive zone & when the forwards & D work together, games like last night happen. So nice job coaches.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Congrates to Hill---- I thought this might be W.B.'s year. Maybe in Feb.......
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Goldfishdude wrote:
Northsider wrote:Sager better have some more pepto bismo ready :lol:
I am afraid the pink pepto clashes with Sager's red hair..

Hmmm.. I thought I was hearing that H-M was down in talent and WBL had better top-end talent... What happened??? This is a darn shame. I predicted a 6-3 Bears win!! Oh well!!

Northsider, PPG, pioneers, stpaul..... Way to go H-M!! Lex shows why he's the best coach in the state... Love it!! Timmy gets another easy shutout..

hockeyhockeyhockey?? - thanx for the shots and score updates, etc... did you get any reports of anyone seeing God in the H-M parking lot?

Teaker?? GFD never left- have been waiting in the wings... Just told Karl(East) I was going to bite my lip this year, because I didn't want to hurt Coach Sager's feelings... I got lectured about it last year....

Oldgoalie??? Good luck to your Rangers this year.. hope they can have another solid year.. Do they have good enough pads to relace Gaffy?? Offense should be solid...

Bodyshots?? YAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!! We've seen this story way too much...

wblhockeyfan8....... not sure I will get a chance to see you at any games this year unless the team is on the road...... You sporting a letter in the student section?? Keep up the enthusiam..

Props to Jared Schletty for keeping WBL in the game with his goaltending play... I have heard there have been some behind-the-scene issues - Jared even having to play a JV game for the first time. Way to fight thru the mind games, Jared.

For those H-M fans in attendance, I see lil' Jake Guentzel scored a goal. How has he played this year.. I know his dad is a proud papa, and wishes he could see him play more..

AND, as I believe it was hockeyhockeyhockey talking about H-M's depth.. 14 players recorded a shot on goal for H-M.. AWESOME!!.... The line of Birki-Wahlin-Morrisette contributed to 8 of the 12 WBL shots.. Sorry folks.... WBL can't have this happen and expect to win.
Queen B my friend. :lol:
Always celly hard.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

These kids arent owned by associations. And if what you are saying about the varsity coach going to youth games is true, how is that not recruiting? No one owns the rights to kids. Schulze has been private school his entire life, and the family went to HM, same with Sampair. These kids dont "owe" the WBL varsity their loyalty. I can bet you that people learn better "loyalty and trust" at HM than WBL.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

The youth association doesnt owe these kids anything either, but they gave their time and energy making these kids the hockey players they are today. Its ultimately the parents choice anyways, dont let anyone Stillwater continue to pump out top end talent.
WBL should give up and focus on Hoops
Last edited by mnpuckster on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

sachishi4 wrote:These kids arent owned by associations. And if what you are saying about the varsity coach going to youth games is true, how is that not recruiting? No one owns the rights to kids. Schulze has been private school his entire life, and the family went to HM, same with Sampair. These kids dont "owe" the WBL varsity their loyalty. I can bet you that people learn better "loyalty and trust" at HM than WBL.
I agreed withe everything, up till the last sentence.
Always celly hard.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

Just always the difference I saw between public and private in my experience. Really doesnt have to do with much though, I dont know why the person who stated it in the first place brought it up. Thats parenting and teachers, not hockey associations
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
stpaul

HM - WBL

Post by stpaul »

I couldn't help but respond to some of the comments above.

East Side Pioneer Guy: "I gotta admire those White Bear students. None of them have seen their squad beat Hill while they've been in high school, yet they turn out in their blaze orange every time. A wonderful bunch of eternal optimists."

I couldn't agree more. I sat across from them last night. I thought the atmosphere was great.

Jack Sparrow: "Lechner is an average coach that gets dealt a loaded hand every year. "

I've seen up close what a tough job he has and how good he is at it. He's a very good hockey coach. He is great with the all the issues that go with coaching teenage boys and all the pressures from parents, etc. Hill-Murray is lucky to have him as AD, hockey and baseball coach. Also agree that Pat Schafhauser is a great assistant and he gets HM to play great D. They were ready for Wahlin, Birkinbine and Jansen last night.

mnpuckster: "How do they even feel good about winning at HM after playing at WBL their entire lives?"

There is little in life, especially at 16,17, 18 years old, greater than playing varsity sports for your high school. So how do think they feel after beating their #1 rival? Probably really good.

mnpuckster: "One more stud player to the wannabe elite educational Jesus Freaks"

I have no idea what this sentence means. I do like the elite educational part. That part is true.

By the way: Merry Christmas everyone. It is the birthday of Jesus.
Last edited by stpaul on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Dislike Hill if you want.[I do.] But why call them freaks?? Not right!!!!
MedleyWR

A few observations

Post by MedleyWR »

1. The first period was well played, very even. HM played very physically, keeping the Bears from playing their offensive game.
2. The Bears spent most of the second period short handed. The Bears' penalty kill held HM scoreless, but the effort seemed to wear the Bears down.
3. The Bears looked tired and disorganized in the third. I attribute this to all the effort expended skating short handed for most of the second period.
4. The problem with the new arena is that most of the seating and the players' benches are on the same side, so that fan must look over or through the additional layers of plexiglass that surround the benches. It's hard to see the action in the corners on the bench side. I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to move the benches to the other side.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

puckster99 wrote:White Bear will win this game by 2-3 goals
Nice prediction. Congrats HM, class of hockey.
wingman

Post by wingman »

Being an HM'r, and also from WBL, all I can say is the WB fans and parents are simply the best. The venue with Saks next door provided a wonderful place to watch some hockey and play catch up with all our friends. This rivalry is simply the best in the state, for many reasons, but foremost because we are all so close. I know WB has some great games against HM in their pocket, and as usual saving them for when it probably matters most. Good luck WB!

P.S. WB scores in the 3rd to tie it 1-1, the WB fans erupt, the momentum change starts, and the outcome could have been ALOT different. Kudo's to Jared....