Change in penalty times

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

hockeyfan510

Change in penalty times

Post by hockeyfan510 »

I heard the Metro hockey league is going to one and a half minute penalty's. Is this true? and what is everyones opnion on this?
JGAstud08

Post by JGAstud08 »

Yes they are i thinks its awful
Bragenrights

Post by Bragenrights »

Terrible rule change.. much harder to get the powerplay set up along with the fact that it is only going to benifit the cheap teams?? It doesnt make much sense to me but it is what it is though.. not much you can do
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

Its just not the Metro. Its all the youth levels in Minnesota. If you playing with 15 minute periods or less than penalties are 1:30 minutes.
wildthing

Post by wildthing »

Good example of a terrible fix made to something that was never broke.
Are major penalty times also being shortened? I hope not....
LaceEmUp17

Post by LaceEmUp17 »

It's a horrible change. You've got them preaching about clean play with the HEP point, but shortening the penalty time. Makes NO sense!
hockeyfan510

Post by hockeyfan510 »

Who had the imput on this decision? Are there any players, coaches, commissioners out there that got consulted, or had any say in this dicison?
DangleDude

Post by DangleDude »

It's a smart change. Much better for player development (especially for those who don't get PP and PK time) when we can proportionally get more 5 on 5 game time. Better flow to the game too. Should have been done years ago by Minn. Hockey.
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

hockeyfan510 wrote:Who had the imput on this decision? Are there any players, coaches, commissioners out there that got consulted, or had any say in this dicison?
Its a pilot program. After the season is over Minnesota is going to get input and review it to see if it works.
T-Train24

Post by T-Train24 »

That is not a smart change at all. PPs and PKs are apart of the game of hockey. By reducing penalty time its showing kids that they won't get as much punishment for penalties. Just a terrible rule overall.
Better get off the tracks the T-Trains comin
jvail19

Post by jvail19 »

its horrible. theres almost no point in even having penalties with this rule change because you cant get anything going at all. and since this is just a step down from high school if even that they shouldnt be doing it at this level. very dumb
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

Why would that do this? :roll:
DangleDude

Post by DangleDude »

If in a typical JG game, each team gets six or seven minors (even if some of those overlap) that's at least half the game played something other than 5 on 5. It makes sense to have as much 5 on 5 as possible in youth hockey. And reduced penalty time won't be any less a deterrent to incurring them.
Bragenrights

Post by Bragenrights »

[quote="DangleDude"]It's a smart change. Much better for player development (especially for those who don't get PP and PK time) when we can proportionally get more 5 on 5 game time. Better flow to the game too. Should have been done years ago by Minn. Hockey.[/quote]

I disagree with you on this one... Think about it from a different perspective, With two minute infractions teams needed to have two pp lines and two pk lines where now that the infractions are only 1:30 teams can get away with only one pp line and one pk line so only five players are developing pp and pk skills instead of 10 players.
DangleDude

Post by DangleDude »

I guess it's a matter of perspective on the relative priorities. I'd argue that at the JG level and below, PP and PK development shouldn't be a key point of emphasis; there's enough work to do in other areas. Sure, at HS and above (especially with longer periods) there's value in making sure teams have depth and talent on special teams.