A Quarterfinal: Lourdes vs. #4 Warroad

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

South or the North

Warriors
68%
Eagles
32%

Total votes: 65

clutterbuck22

A Quarterfinal: Lourdes vs. #4 Warroad

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Battle of the South vs. the North. Who do you guys have? I'm going with Lourdes 3-2.
Sioux Fan

GO EAGLES!!!!!!

Post by Sioux Fan »

I am with ClutterBuck Lourdes wins I think they score 4 and it is 4-3 and is exciting from start to finish unless Mr. Heimer shuts the door. He may just do that. He wants another shot at Breck I am sure.

Good luck to all the Eagles make So MN PROUD..

Albert Hasbargen fine person and fine coach
Head Coach
Section: 8A
Conference: Mariucci
Enrollment: 335
Nickname: Warriors
Colors: Black, Gold
Assistant Coaches: Adrian Hasbargen, Bruce Olson, Dennis Fermoyle
Home Ice: The Gardens Arena, Warroad
08-09 Record: 28-3-0
State Titles: 4 (1994, Class A; 1996, Class A; 2003, Class A; 2005, Class A)
Pretty good coaches pretty good players.

Great challenge for our Eagles this is what u play for boys.

Good Luck Lourdes Eagles this will be something special I know u can do it.
Fighting Sioux Forever
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Warroad 3-1
mn miracle man

Re: GO EAGLES!!!!!!

Post by mn miracle man »

Sioux Fan wrote:I am with ClutterBuck Lourdes wins I think they score 4 and it is 4-3 and is exciting from start to finish unless Mr. Heimer shuts the door. He may just do that. He wants another shot at Breck I am sure.

Good luck to all the Eagles make So MN PROUD..

Albert Hasbargen fine person and fine coach
Head Coach
Section: 8A
Conference: Mariucci
Enrollment: 335
Nickname: Warriors
Colors: Black, Gold
Assistant Coaches: Adrian Hasbargen, Bruce Olson, Dennis Fermoyle
Home Ice: The Gardens Arena, Warroad
08-09 Record: 28-3-0
State Titles: 4 (1994, Class A; 1996, Class A; 2003, Class A; 2005, Class A)
Pretty good coaches pretty good players.

Great challenge for our Eagles this is what u play for boys.

Good Luck Lourdes Eagles this will be something special I know u can do it.
I don't know much about Lourdes, but I do know that this should be a very well fought game. If Warroad can get up early that will really help the confidence of this young squad, especially the young netminder who hopes to carry his section final performance to the X. All this aside, this game along with the Virginia/Hermantown game should be wonderful first round matchups.
Goal

Post by Goal »

Warroad 5-1
MNhockeyFOREVER

Lourdes vs. #4 Warroad

Post by MNhockeyFOREVER »

Lets compare coaches on this one as it could be a huge factor, any thoughts? Do either of these coaches have an edge as to style versus each other?
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Re: Lourdes vs. #4 Warroad

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

MNhockeyFOREVER wrote:Lets compare coaches on this one as it could be a huge factor, any thoughts? Do either of these coaches have an edge as to style versus each other?
I think the coaches have done basically all to this point, once the puck drops. Its the players out there battling
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

MNhockeyFOREVER wrote:Lets compare coaches on this one as it could be a huge factor, any thoughts? Do either of these coaches have an edge as to style versus each other?
Well as for a style from Warroad they preach from the net and on outwards, defense first mentality. Their actual defensemen aren't as strong as normal, but no slouches none the less. With a young goaltender, they really have to concentrate on playing defense first and generating offense second. Throughout the season most (almost all) of the offense has came from their top line, and it really comes down to how Nelson and Hebel perform. With this said, what type of strategy does Lourdes implement? The last time I saw them play was back in 2003 or 2004 I believe and they were pretty run and gun if I can remember correctly, any insight?
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

mn miracle man wrote:
Well as for a style from Warroad they preach from the net and on outwards, defense first mentality. Their actual defensemen aren't as strong as normal, but no slouches none the less. With a young goaltender, they really have to concentrate on playing defense first and generating offense second. Throughout the season most (almost all) of the offense has came from their top line, and it really comes down to how Nelson and Hebel perform. With this said, what type of strategy does Lourdes implement? The last time I saw them play was back in 2003 or 2004 I believe and they were pretty run and gun if I can remember correctly, any insight?
Their game is more concentrated on defense first, like Warroad. That is why I think this game will be a tight, low scoring game. This game will come down to mistakes. Should be a fun game to watch.
Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 »

Coaching - Lourdes has first year coach Spaniol, I sat behind Lourdes bench thursday and it seem to me Asst Coach Gill was calling all the shots.
MNhockeyFOREVER

Warroad vs Lourdes

Post by MNhockeyFOREVER »

Seems to me being a first year coach that having a respected assistant coach is the way to go. Should be a great game with good coaches on both sides.
loudeshockey#9

Post by loudeshockey#9 »

Ever since their trip to Duluth Lourdes has learned how to finish games and stay close no matter who there opponent is. They had some very good chances in the second and third periods to pull out a win at Breck, and had St. Thomas tied after a period until the power play gave St. Thomas a significant advantage. The team speed and defensive pressure in the neutral zone may be the best in the state. After getting the second seed in the 1A tourney Lourdes has played with a chip on their shoulder and Nick Heimer has been unreal (knock on wood.) I really think Lourdes is going to come out and surprise the Warriors.
I like Lourdes 4-2 with an empty netter.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

loudeshockey#9 wrote:Ever since their trip to Duluth Lourdes has learned how to finish games and stay close no matter who there opponent is. They had some very good chances in the second and third periods to pull out a win at Breck, and had St. Thomas tied after a period until the power play gave St. Thomas a significant advantage. The team speed and defensive pressure in the neutral zone may be the best in the state. After getting the second seed in the 1A tourney Lourdes has played with a chip on their shoulder and Nick Heimer has been unreal (knock on wood.) I really think Lourdes is going to come out and surprise the Warriors.
I like Lourdes 4-2 with an empty netter.
Well if thats the case, I can't wait to see this team speed that Lourdes possesses. It should make for quite the quarterfinal matchup, I just hope that prediction doesn't go south like it did for the Breck girls coach before meeting Warroad in the state final last week haha. Good luck to both squads, and only 6 days til a new state champ is crowned!
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Lourdes isn't bad, but they're not great. Warroad should win by a couple at least.

Warroad 4
Lourdes 1
HOUNDS
itech22

Post by itech22 »

I will say Lourdes 3-2 in a very tight game.
snakedude11

Post by snakedude11 »

As much as I would like to see Lourdes beat Warroad I just dont see it happening....
Low scoring game,
Da Warroad Rednecks-2
Lourdes and Company 0
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Well I decided to look at the schedules to further compare the opponents squaring up tomorrow night. They do actually, despite being on complete opposite ends of the state, have 3 common opponents throughout the regular season: Mound-Westonka, Duluth Denfield, and St Cloud Cathedral.

Lourdes (1-2) played all these teams on the road and the outcomes were:

Lourdes 0 Mound-Westonka 2
Lourdes 4 Duluth Denfield 2
Lourdes 3 St Cloud Cathedral 5

Warroads (3-0) outcome with these same opponents (SCC was only home game):

Warroad 5 Mound-Westonka 0
Warroad 5 Duluth Denfield 1
Warroad 3 St Cloud Cathedral 0

I know you can't read too deeply into scores alone but they were interesting. Maybe this will give more insight to the matchup other than strictly opinions. Having seen Warroad play, and not Lourdes, I still stick with my prediction that Warroad will win and I will go and say 5-2 (empty net). They have experience from last year, and Coach Hasbargen will have his team ready to go with plenty of fire in their bellies. Lourdes may be a talented speedy squad, but I think that the Warriors defensive style will counteract the Eagles quite nicely.
bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 »

My two cents worth. Unless Lourdes has improved dramatically since the Rochester Tourney, The American/Canadian Warriors takes this one going away. And no I am not mad about the our loss to them at the tourney. Lourdes was the better team at the time.
loudeshockey#9

Post by loudeshockey#9 »

Lourdes is a different team from Kiawanis. Lourdes goes out and beats you up now, they drop the puck deep, out-skate you to the puck and never give up if they are up 5 or down 10. These kids now know how to set up in the offensive zone and once they set it up it is hard to clear the puck out of their zone with Vessel, and Bandrup ontop. Down low they have speed in Funk, Samuelson, and Chezick. With these young, but powerful weapons Lourdes can play close with anybody. They have come leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

I agree if they work like they did in the Sectional tourney they can win they can win three games if it goes thier way.. Good Luck Boys and coaches.
Fighting Sioux Forever
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

loudeshockey#9 wrote:Lourdes is a different team from Kiawanis. Lourdes goes out and beats you up now, they drop the puck deep, out-skate you to the puck and never give up if they are up 5 or down 10. These kids now know how to set up in the offensive zone and once they set it up it is hard to clear the puck out of their zone with Vessel, and Bandrup ontop. Down low they have speed in Funk, Samuelson, and Chezick. With these young, but powerful weapons Lourdes can play close with anybody. They have come leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year.
Thanks for the info... This may be a stretch, but are you #9 from Rochester Lourdes :lol:
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

High_Plains_Dangler wrote:
loudeshockey#9 wrote:Lourdes is a different team from Kiawanis. Lourdes goes out and beats you up now, they drop the puck deep, out-skate you to the puck and never give up if they are up 5 or down 10. These kids now know how to set up in the offensive zone and once they set it up it is hard to clear the puck out of their zone with Vessel, and Bandrup ontop. Down low they have speed in Funk, Samuelson, and Chezick. With these young, but powerful weapons Lourdes can play close with anybody. They have come leaps and bounds since the beginning of the year.
Thanks for the info... This may be a stretch, but are you #9 from Rochester Lourdes :lol:
Can't be. No private school student would misspell Lourdes in his username. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 »

Must be a transfer student :oops:
loudeshockey#9

Post by loudeshockey#9 »

hey, you would have to go to Lourdes its an inside joke, but I'm happy it didn't go unnoticed. I think as a team Lourdes will come out strong tomorrow night and should be able to match anything Warroad throws at them. This game either way will be decided by one goal it depends who gets the luck rebound....If Lourdes makes it to the Breck game they will be fighting like they did the first time they played them. If any team in this tournament is going to upset Breck it is going to be either Lourdes or Warroad because their defense first mentality. This may sound weird but with so many young players on this Lourdes team it could give them an advantage? Why do I say this, last year Lourdes had one great line capable of out scoring anyone the problem is they were all seniors, in that game against Breck they lost 3-0 it could have easily been 3-2 or 3-3 after three periods but these seniors were not patient and knew this could be their last game. With hardly anyone from last years squad Lourdes can have a fresh shot and come in really with hardly any pressure.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

I think Lourdes has a good shot at Warroad. Will be a good representative of southern Minnesota much better than their counterpart anyway...

Heimer is hot off the section tournament allowing 2 goals in 3 games. I saw they had a lot of speed on their team with their young guys when they came down to Mankato. If they can get pressure in Warroad's zone and contain a guys by the names of Brock Nelson and Brett Hebel. I'd give them the close win.

quick question:
Is Alex Funk the brother of Taylor? Or just a close relative?