Ice Hawks Magic Number Down to 2!!!

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

crash

Ice Hawks Magic Number Down to 2!!!

Post by crash »

5 of the last 6 Regular season titles.
Last 5 playoff titles.
6 years in a row off to Nationals.

Most fans in the country for the level(would be the most in the division in the NAHL). All in all great program! GREAT JOB GUYS!
clutterbuck22

Re: Ice Hawks Magic Number Down to 2!!!

Post by clutterbuck22 »

crash wrote:5 of the last 6 Regular season titles.
Last 5 playoff titles.
6 years in a row off to Nationals.

Most fans in the country for the level(would be the most in the division in the NAHL). All in all great program! GREAT JOB GUYS!
Huge game tomorrow night against the former Rochester team. Should be a good mid-week game. Hopefully, they keep this play up for next year so they can play in the national tournament in front of their hometown fans.
huville

Post by huville »

Actually fresno of the WSHL gets about 2000-2500 fans per game. And Dubuque around 1500-2000. Rochester on a good night gets about 1500
crash

Post by crash »

Fresno's T-3 team next year will average just under 200 fans a game. The NAHL team will take the rest. Plus if you do some research on the attendance of the Monsters it's not 2000 a game, they had a promotion the other day and had 5000 or something crazy like that but it was a promotion and not the norm. In fact I hear the average attendence is around 1800 a game.

Dubuque is folding because of the new USHL team in Dubuque plus you can check the attendance on pointstreak and it's not 1500-2000 it's 1331.

The Ice Hawks lowest attended game this year was 1,100 fans during the Vikings/Saints game. Granted most were watching the game on the TV's in the stands. The average attendence is 1400-1500 with 3 games being over 2000 this year.

I have only been to Hudson when the Hawks are playing and I would say attendence is 100-130 with 50% being from Rochester. What's the # look like when other team play?
huville

Post by huville »

Some games I have been to, they have had up to 400 fans, some games down towards 50. The way I would rank teams in this league in attendance are this: Rochester 1000+, Spooner 500, Owls 400, Granite City 350, Hudson 250, Northern Lights 200, Lakers 150, Maple Grove 100 and Little Falls 50.

I go to about 20 games a year in this league and from what I have seen attendance-wise, most of these teams depend on the youth organizations for fans. Isanti, St Cloud and Hudson always seem to have alot more fans at the beginning of the season due to the youth teams not starting up yet. Spooner always gets a good crowd. The Lakers play in the smallest arena known to man. Bloomington supports Jefferson and will probably never get more than 300 fans to a game (unless its playoffs). Little Falls gets very little support from the community and Maple Grove is well, Maple Grove. Can't get fans when you win 3 games a year.

You gotta remember, Rochester doesnt have college or pro hockey to contend with. People in the cities or st. cloud can go to the Wild, Gophers, Huskies, a number of Division III games and tons of HS hockey games. It's harder to draw against that. With that said, Rochester has built a great following in the past 5 years.

Also, do you know if Fresno is even having a tier III team next year? I thought they were just moving the current team up a level, not adding an entire new team.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

crash wrote:Most fans in the country for the level(would be the most in the division in the NAHL). All in all great program! GREAT JOB GUYS!
So why don't they move up to the NAHL??
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
crash wrote:Most fans in the country for the level(would be the most in the division in the NAHL). All in all great program! GREAT JOB GUYS!
So why don't they move up to the NAHL??
Hawks won 6-1. 5 goals in the third period. A goal wasn't scored until 18 minutes into the second period.
crash

Post by crash »

My guess is they don't want to lose money like...Albert Lea....Owatonna.....North Iowa.....Alexandria....Janesville....Kenai...Motor City...ect....

Sometimes it's not about the money...it's about the kids...odd thought.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

crash wrote:My guess is they don't want to lose money like...Albert Lea....Owatonna.....North Iowa.....Alexandria....Janesville....Kenai...Motor City...ect....

Sometimes it's not about the money...it's about the kids...odd thought.
Would seem to me that if they're averaging 1000+ they shouldn't be losing money. In my opinion, they are really cheating their devoted fans. If they have been continually getting that many fans over the years they wouldn't be losing money by moving to the NA.
huville

Post by huville »

If the Ice Hawks joined the NAHL their costs to run the team would go up over $400,000. Teams in the MNJHL budgets are around $175,000-$200,000 a year. The NAHL budgets are about $600,000 to $700,000. They would have raise their ticket prices big time. Then they wouldn't be getting over a 1000 people to their game.

Also the teams in the MNJHL need the money paid by players to operate. Right now the Ice Hawks charge around $3,500 per season. In the NAHL they wouldn't be able to charge, so they would have to find $75,000 somewhere else plus the other $400,000.

Most of the NAHL teams have rich owners with bottomless pockets. Doc Fatis is not one of those people.
jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

So it is about the money, not about the kids. Kids in the NA only pay billet, what does it cost the kids to play for the Hawks?
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Hawks could clinch tonight against the flying aces, who have two former Ice Hawk players from this year on their team.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Hawks clinched the regular season championship with a 7-4 win tonight over the Flying Aces.
huville

Re: ?

Post by huville »

[quote="jackstraw"]So it is about the money, not about the kids. Kids in the NA only pay billet, what does it cost the kids to play for the Hawks?[/quote]

I'm sure if Doc Fatis was a millionaire he would love to have an NAHL team. Fact is, he's not. So he runs a tier III team as good as you can.
HAWKey

Post by HAWKey »

crash wrote:Fresno's T-3 team next year will average just under 200 fans a game. The NAHL team will take the rest. Plus if you do some research on the attendance of the Monsters it's not 2000 a game, they had a promotion the other day and had 5000 or something crazy like that but it was a promotion and not the norm. In fact I hear the average attendence is around 1800 a game.

Dubuque is folding because of the new USHL team in Dubuque plus you can check the attendance on pointstreak and it's not 1500-2000 it's 1331.

The Ice Hawks lowest attended game this year was 1,100 fans during the Vikings/Saints game. Granted most were watching the game on the TV's in the stands. The average attendence is 1400-1500 with 3 games being over 2000 this year.

I have only been to Hudson when the Hawks are playing and I would say attendence is 100-130 with 50% being from Rochester. What's the # look like when other team play?

actually the reported attendance for the icehawks game against wisconsin was 700 smoething so your pulling statistics out of your ass
crash

Post by crash »

Check the time I posted that, BEFORE the Mustangs game. Pull you head out of the place you ASSumed I was finding the statistics.

As far as it being all about the money, it's a none profit and Doc doesn't make any money for being the GM or CEO of the Hawks.

Hey maybe you guys should start NAHL teams? Put them in big cities like Litchfield, Moose Lake & other exciting towns, just like the NAHL! :lol:
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

crash wrote:Check the time I posted that, BEFORE the Mustangs game. Pull you head out of the place you ASSumed I was finding the statistics.

As far as it being all about the money, it's a none profit and Doc doesn't make any money for being the GM or CEO of the Hawks.

Hey maybe you guys should start NAHL teams? Put them in big cities like Litchfield, Moose Lake & other exciting towns, just like the NAHL! :lol:
If I started an NAHL team and put it in Litchfield or Moose Lake, they would get a better brand of hockey than they get in the MJHL. Maybe not as many fans, but better hockey. Just the facts.
crash

Post by crash »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That didn't happen in Albert Lea, Kenai, ect. If the NAHL was smart they would find a way to get the Ice Hawks in. In the end the Ice Hawks are bulit around the kids and their development not a owner looking to make a buck, it just so happens that Rochester got it right and now they put out a top end product.

If you cut the bottom 3 teams out of the MJHL and took their top end players and spread them out on the other 6 teams you would be looking at teams that could run with Albert Lea, North Iowa & Alexandria. Teams like Granite City and Rochester are 3 or 4 top end guys from being above teams like this. Right now Rochester has 0 players that would be top 4 forwards or top 2 D in a 'good' nahl team. BUT they have 6 or 7 forwards that could fill second/third line on those teams.

Anyway I am board with this, time to pack the kids up and make that drive, Hawks game tonight.

I bet the attendence will be over 700 :wink:
crash

Post by crash »

Haws won again last night, uninspired hockey.

Anounced Attendence was 1200 something. Not bad for a Sunday afternoon.
HAWKey

Post by HAWKey »

crash wrote:Haws won again last night, uninspired hockey.

get a life youre a joke
crash

Post by crash »

:lol:
nice
:lol:

How can I respond '9 year old' enough for ya?

NO! Youre(I don't know what that means) the joke! You get a life!

:P :lol: :lol:
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Refs were pretty bad too.
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

clutterbuck22 wrote:

Refs were pretty bad too.
I've been behind the scenes of an MJ game as I used to work at an MJ rink...Let me tell you, those refs definitely don't care to ref those games when they could be reffing a USHL game.
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

all of you need to shut up and stop trying to pretend that the rochester ice hawks are some insignificant team. joey benik, who is the all time leading scorer in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF MINNESOTA HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY is currently playing in the mnjhl. he got more goals than zach buddish, kyle okposo, or anyone who has ever played high school hockey here. thats something i dont care what school you play for. also bennie walker played for the edina lakers earlier this season and was strictly fourth line, he is now on the first line for the edina hornets varsity team that just beat number one ranked tonka. im sure there are many other examples that show how good this league is but i cant think of anything. SOTOP TRYING TO PASS THIS LEAGUE OFF AS INSIGNIFICANT, IT'S D@#N FINE HOCKEY!!!!
TuckerMax93

Post by TuckerMax93 »

slapshot445 wrote:all of you need to shut up and stop trying to pretend that the rochester ice hawks are some insignificant team. joey benik, who is the all time leading scorer in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF MINNESOTA HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY is currently playing in the mnjhl. he got more goals than zach buddish, kyle okposo, or anyone who has ever played high school hockey here. thats something i dont care what school you play for. also bennie walker played for the edina lakers earlier this season and was strictly fourth line, he is now on the first line for the edina hornets varsity team that just beat number one ranked tonka. im sure there are many other examples that show how good this league is but i cant think of anything. SOTOP TRYING TO PASS THIS LEAGUE OFF AS INSIGNIFICANT, IT'S D@#N FINE HOCKEY!!!!
This league is insignificant. Joey Benik has scored a lot of goals against a cupcake schedule...he also chose to play for a local junior team during his high school years...Okposo never played at Shattuck. Budish played a hard schedule and missed his senior year with a knee injury.

Learn the game please.

If the league is significant Joey Benik will play in it next year. Otherwise he will play in a better, more significant league.
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.